Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: A Taste for Tea: other tea information

Communities > Forums > Article: A Taste for Tea
bookmark
Forum: Article: A Taste for TeaReplies: 6, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9381246

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3546/
dandylyon85
Arlington, TX

January 11, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9381964

Thanks for the link! Always good to hear from a fellow tea fanatic, and I see you are also in Texas. Have you ever made it to the tea plantation in South Carolina? We went once (made a whole vacation around it), but it was a 22 hour drive!

Where do you buy your tea locally? I am always looking for locations to profile in my tea blog.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2013
5:12 PM

Post #9382332

I switched to coffee a few years ago (for no known reason).
EleanorZRuch
Hatfield, PA

January 14, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9384451

Fun to read...had always wondered about the various teas all, seemingly, from the same plant. In 1994 we visited the Kenyan Tea Plantation owned by a Mrs. Mitchell who gave the tour at 85 years of age! Kenya has a climate perfect for tea production.

I oversee the Pinebrook Children's Garden in Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains (really just big hills compared to the Rockies!) =) Do you know a place where I can get some tea plants? I realize I would need to take them in in winter but we have commercial greenhouses...and it could be doable.

We have grown cotton plants from seed - much fun to watch for northerners! Our daughter keeps one plant in her World Cultures classroom with her tenth graders feeling ownership of the plant during the winter. Actually it is a perennial if it does not freeze! (Had not known that!)

One of the little gardens is called "A Spot of Tea" in which we have some garden teas growing in ground (like Bee Balm - Monarda - and Lemon Balm) while 6-8 herbal teas grow in larger tea cup planters. A little furniture set of a scrolled white metal - table, 2 chairs and love seat - welcomes play time for pretend tea parties.

Hmmmm...getting antsy for some garden activity!! =)

DancingTree
Ceres, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 14, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9384484

Very informative article. Just what I need to know, now that I'm growing my own tea plant.

I enjoy the teas from New Mexico Tea Company
http://www.nmteaco.com/

and from Mountain Rose Herbs
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/index2.php

Enjoy!
dandylyon85
Arlington, TX

January 15, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9385708

Elanor,

Your herbal tea garden sounds lovely.

You can mail order tea camellia seeds / plants from a number of nurseries. You might also check the DG seed exchange.

Hope your tea growing is a success!

Amber
EleanorZRuch
Hatfield, PA

January 16, 2013
12:53 PM

Post #9387348

Thanks, Amber. A reader has private messaged me with the possibility of shipping some seedlings that have grown under the tea plant that her grandmother had originally installed. Wouldn't THAT be fun? We'll see if it happens.

Thanks for the leads. I've not been too serious about locating them but it's time to GET serious!! =)

I've asked a friend who travels to Lancaster County, PA (Amish country) to try to get 6-12 tobacco plants. I've never seen them up close. We DO grow ornamental flowering nicotiana because of its pattern of its delightful fragrance in the evening. Each year the Garden changes a bit.

Nell AKA Eleanor

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Taste for Tea Threads you might be interested in:

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America