Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The International Year of Quinoa: Grow from grocery store

Communities > Forums > Article: The International Year of Quinoa
bookmark
Forum: Article: The International Year of QuinoaReplies: 4, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

January 11, 2013
3:42 AM

Post #9381725

The grocery store quinoa will grow for you.
Locally we can get white, red and black quinoa,--
as well the seed companies sell a multi colored variety.
I grow it in large containers.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2013
5:03 AM

Post #9381754

Coincidently, I just made some quinoa upma with Szechuan veggies that was quite good. I'm still not sure how to pronounce it. Qwin-wa?

Most quinoa from grocery stores that I have seen states clearly on the package that it is prewashed. However contributors on a food site I look at have said that some quinoa sold in bulk is not. So if your package doesn't say "prewashed" or "prerinsed" you should do it yourself.

How many plants must you grow to get a usable crop?

This message was edited Jan 11, 2013 8:08 AM

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9381781

I'll have to toss a few grocery store quinoa seeds in some soil and see what I get!! I did order seeds too though. I couldn't resist the tasty sounding name of Quinoa Cherry Vanilla.

And, I'm not sure how many plants it would take to get a usable crop. I know Amaranth plants produce a generous amount of seeds. From the look of Quinoa in photos it looks like the tops of the plants have abundant seed heads too. I know with growing Chia (we have a good sized raised bed dedicated to it) we don't get nearly as many seeds as we would like for culinary use. But, we still harvest whatever we get and grow Chia for the fun of it. It self sows prolifically too.

This is our year to grow Quinoa. I hope it is as hardy as Chia. Quinoa is pronounced "Keen-wa" as in peachy keen. :-)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
9:09 PM

Post #9382478

What timing! Our oldest son just made a delicious quinoa salad.for.is. He got the recipe from school. A light vinaigrette with orange zest and rasins and cucumber, excellent! Of course he explained the nutrition reason why we had it, Diane you would enjoy discussing it with him.
Thanks for the article. Trader Joes or the organic grocery sell quinoa here.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2013
5:14 AM

Post #9382552

Sally, it's great your son (and his school) is teaching/learning and aware of foods that provide good nutrition!! Yay - tell him great recipe. thanks for sharing it. Quinoa is also appearing on some restaurant menus, which is nice. Have him toss a handful of quinoa in some dirt this summer and see what happens. I'm going to try growing it in a pot I think. I've been noticing veggies and grasses etc growing in pots in a lot of the incoming seed catalogs. Everything doesn't need prime garden space lol

Happy and Healthy Gardening!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The International Year of Quinoa Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
4 to 6 feet high Liquidambar2 11 Aug 29, 2013 7:35 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America