Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: your Mid At and Friends indoor gardens 2013

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 253, Views: 1,693
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
5:22 AM

Post #9381777

How are your indoor plants doing? Show offs, tips, gripes , etc welcome.
Here's my lil grass head guy!!! From my birthday gift. Thanks again for a great birthday!!

Thumbnail by sallyg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9382260

I'm not a big fan of indoor plants. I mean, I like to see other people's lush indoor gardens, but I usually forget to water my own. Plus our cat, Barney, likes to eat the indoor plants (I know, I know, we try to keep him at bay). The tropicals that live outdoors over the summer are in a room over the garage, so I don't look at them much. I either underwater or overwater them -- I seldom get it right.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2013
6:03 AM

Post #9382577

I tend to overwater then go to the other extreme, so any plants indoors have to be very forgiving. I do have a Norfolk pine that my mom brought when she moved here in 98. It came from the house of the lady who owned the farm where they lived. I think it is about 20 years old.

Thanks to Gita I have some Swedish ivy i got for a friend and some cc(which had some blooms).

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9382662

I do find it a challenge to keep them cared for. Doing pretty good this year. A few things are even trying to grow.

I save rain water and only use that. I add very dilute blue water fertilizer or "coffee grounds tea" if they are trying to grow.

Watering less rather than more is better, unless its too much less LOL

Norfolk pines can be tricky, good going Jan (knock on wood!!) I saw huge ones for 15$ at a Liquidator store, it really tempted me...

I could Not Believe the prices on large plants at Home Depot last week!! Or the blue orchids- yuck

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9382713

Swedish Ivy cuttings do best planted directly in the soil. The will root in water--but do it sooner and better in soil.

Put bunches of 3 in each forger-hole. This makes a nice, full plant. I have written this before--
but here are the suggested amounts. Hanging baskets--I presume...

4" pot---3 bunches of three cuttings (the small pot would be for starter plants.)
6" pot---5 " " " "
8" pot---7 " " " "
10" pot 9-11 " " "

You can start Swedish Ivy fresh each year by cutting back the longer stems of older ones and starting
them in a new pot. This will also cause the original plant (HB) to re-grow fuller.
I have found that after about three years--it can be too root-bound and needs to be propagated on.

Take it outside for the summer and hang it somewhere in filtered sunlight. It will thank you!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2013
9:34 AM

Post #9382756

I remember, dear and the SI seems to like me so far. (fingers crossed). I haven't checked out my friend's pot yet.

The Norfolk must thrive on neglect then. Thankfully

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9382762

the mites come marching one by one, oh crap oh crap...
the mites come marching two by two oh BOO oh BOOO

Lemon tree is getting mites again. I have it outside and wiped off under the leaves . I should spray with alcohol/water mix.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9382901

What kind of mites came so early, Sally?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9382911

Little red spider mites.
Just getting going, hope I've nipped them in the bud. I took a ginger plant, and the other infested plants., outside and wiped them down with alcohol/water/ a drop of Joy soap/ a shot of peroxide for the heck of it. Oh ,reminds me, need to get the plumeria too, the few leaves remaining.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
10:41 PM

Post #9385481

Little hair guy in the picture is really growing!

Found a pretty but unused pot at MIL place yesterday. I 'generously' offered to buy a cute plant and plant it for her. THen deliver, and remove three really sad little plants. ain't I the saint?

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2013
3:41 AM

Post #9385547

I'm thinking that the Systemic Granules by Bonide are helping with the infestation problems. So far I've had none of the problems that occurred in the previous years.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2013
4:21 AM

Post #9385573

Yes you are Sally. LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9385663

Roses---

I have mentioned this before, but i ALWAYS treat all my plants, that have to be brought in,
with Bonide's Systemic Granules.I do this at least 2 weeks before the bring in time.

I don't know about you all--but little pussy ants like to set up housekeeping in the bottoms
of many of my potted plants and even HB.'s--IF they hang from trees. The ants just march down the hangars...
Treating these pots with Systemic gets rid of them.

I must say that I have never had any bug issues on all the gadzillin plants that I bring in.
The one plant that had scale was a Schifflera Amate (one of my faves) that I bought at HD on sale
about 3 years ago. It looked great--but, eventually, I noticed a slow decline and then saw scale on all the leaves.
I have washed and alcoholed the plant about 3 times--but it is now down to one stem-- which looks OK
for now. Somehow--this one stem just will never look right in a 10" black pot.
Me thinks I should uproot it--get rid of the soil, and re-pot it in fresh soil--just in case Scale babies live in the soil.
Do they?????

Warning...Be aware that--almost ALL houseplants that HD and Lowes sells come from FL.
Because of the warm weather, many of these plants are grown in fields--not Greenhouses.
They are cleaned up--and polished up and shipped to various stores.
However--many still carry the remnants of bug infestations deep in leaf crevices and the soil.
Keep a keen eye on these plants! Treat them before it is too late.

Maybe with Bell Nursery in charge--they are now better--but when I was in charge of the whole GH at HD--
it was a nightmare! Scale and Mealybugs were rampant. I could only do so much! HD did not care!
This was 13 years ago, though.
Gita

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9385691

I bought the Systemic Granules at your suggestion, Gita. So happy that I did. Many of my neighbors are asking about it because mine are the only indoor plants that are not infested.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9385700

For those who will go looking for this product--here is what the jug looks like.
It may also be sold in a smaller jar...it also may have the graphics on the container changed????

I do not know of any place to suggest that would carry it. Try a well equipped, independent
Nursery. Home Depot or Lowes no longer carry this product...it's been many, many years.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9385749

I got small jars of that at DJ Liquidators but its been several years.

In growing season I love the Rose product, systemic with fertilizer, but don't want to give that dose of fertilizer to plants at this time.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9385791

I believe it is available at Southern States, or at least the one near me .
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9385898

I use the Bonide products on the house plants and I am having much better luck this year. Still have some mealy bug not quite got it all cleared up not sure I ever will. Might be just a question of keeping to a schedule. I spray mine on, just had them all outside right before Christmas and gave them a good spray. Took advantage of a nice warm day.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9385933

Before I brought the houseplants in, I used diatomaceous earth to kill off the pill bugs. All summer long, there were pill bugs and millipede-looking things all over the bottom of the pots, but they were all gone one week after the DE was sprinkled around them.

I also sprayed them with neem oil a week before bringing them in.

I haven't had any issues with disease this year. The spider plant I got from Gita last year is looking very pretty now. It really brightens up the kitchen.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9385939

ssgardener -- those are great organic suggestions. I hate to toss a lot of chemicals around.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9386122

I rolled a piece of scotch tape (the sticky type used for packing) into a very thin little stick with the sticky side out, and used it to pick whiteflies off my AVs. Ok, don't laugh. I was desperate. It actually worked pretty well. :-)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013

Post #9386141

Are pill bugs harmful? Or--are they just something yu would not want in the house???

Almost any pot you pick up that has been outside will have a bunch of pill bugs under it.
They just like to hide in damp, dark places...

Sally--I got my big jug of Bonide Granules at "Good Stuff Cheap"--which is owned by DJ Liquidators.
I miss the Good Stuff" store! DJ Liquidators is now a small, boring, little, non-nondescript store
There's nothing in it that i want to buy! The back of the store is a cavernous place filled with furniture.
Bah--Humbug!

"Good Stuff Cheap" was like a trip to the candy store. Gita--who bought a lot of "candy" every time I went there...
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9386440

Gita, I don't think they're harmful (they mostly eat dead plant material), but I was so grossed out! There were hundreds of those things and I didn't want to attract anything that would want to feast on those guys.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9386943

I have my AV's in AV pots they are doing pretty well other than a few of those nasty mealy bugs so I sprayed them with the Bonide which I wasn't too sure if they could handle it but they did well. I have been wondering if I could just put some in the bottom of the pot and they would pick it up from the water.
Donner where do you get your wonderfully different AV.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2013
8:17 AM

Post #9387037

Holly, most of my AVs came from Merrifield Garden Center, a very nice nursery in Fairfax VA. Their AVs are provided by Old Dominion AV Society and they are all named AVs. I also grew a few of them from leaves that came from a garden friend on DG.

Rob's Violet Barn (http://www.violetbarn.com/) is a very popular place online. I bought some streps from there, including the "Bristol's Goose Egg" that you also have.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9387079

Holly--wouldn't it be quicker to just dab all the mealy bugs with a Q-Tip dipped in alcohol?
Dribble some deeper among the base of the leaves to get to the "hatching ones"...
Donner--would you recommend this?

I have two trays (like 2lbs. of grapes come in) of AV leaves growing.
The first one is all rooted--just waiting for the babies to show--then I will pot them on.

The second one I just started yesterday.
Went into receiving (at HD) and there was a cart-full of plants to be "canned"...
I wanted to take all the pots--as I tend to do--but there was an AV with very healthy leaves
and the bloom was pink with a purple edging.
I broke off about 8 leaves and now have them in Pro Mix to root. Variety name??? I don't really care..

Both are under my light set-up.
G.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9387117

Gita, I am not sure about putting alcohol in soil. I have never used chemicals on AVs because they burn so easily. Maybe you can try it on one plant? Take a leaf or two for propagation before you treat the plant. In case theyplant doesn't make it, you can always get new baby plants from the leaves.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9387216

I just put the sprayer in really close to the stems in under the leaves and so far that has helped. Right now it all looks really good.
Oh Donner, Somehow I lost the Bristol's Goose Egg it was so pretty and doing quite well. I had it growing near the AV it is the second Strep that I have lost I was thinking maybe I let them get too dry and wondered if they would grow well in AV Pots? But the Ma's Melody Girl AV is my Fav house plant right now. It is just so very pretty I am going to take it to the next HGHA meeting and show it off.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2013
11:02 AM

Post #9387232

OH NOOOOO, Just visited the Violet Barn site. Those mini violets are just sooo cute.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
12:07 PM

Post #9387305

donner, a Strep that you gave me at swap is growing very nicely!!

Holly that is so pretty.

Gita, if the pink with purple edging violet grows, I think Joyanna seriously needs one. I might too.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9387335

It will be a while--I cannot grow AV's as fast as everyone else seems to.
Probably not the right light conditions of locations. Donner sure can knock them out...
I have seen her apartment---she doesn't even like her AV's touching!
AAAGGHH---Mine are always crowded...

My more mature ones are all on the little shelves right in front of the LR and DR window.
It is cold there! My windows are old--not the insulated type.
They do not touch the window--but are just a couple of inches away from it.

Here is a picture of the leaves i have had a while and that are all rooted.
They have been under my light set-up where it is bright and warm.
Too bright--donner tells me--as many of the newer AV's are growing in a compacted way--
the leaves are sort of cupping down. I really do not have another place to put anything...

Also--I took a macro to show you a couple of babies peeking out from the rooted leaves.

Also--#2---I bought 2 Rex begonias at HD Sunday. They are still on sale--in the little Angel Plants pots--
So pretty! i could not resist!! Just $2.50 each.

I remember that I broke thode off of an AV that needed to be more compact.
So--they are all from one plant.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9387346

In the first picture--never mind all the big plants--but see that little shelf
running the length all along the bottom of the windows?
That is where many of my AV's live. It is pretty cold there!
There is a heat register on the floor under the long table in front of the windows...
but I don't think it warms anything much. I keep a pretty cool house. 64-65*

In pic. #2--these little 'vintage" shelves hook right onto the window sash in the middle.
All the small pots are actually almost touching the panes of glass.

Certainly not ideal! I think all the CC's i have there as well do not mind that much..
They can take some cool...

I HAVE TOO MANY PLANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aaggghhhhh... sob..sob...
Put me in a strait jacket!!! Take me where the sun don't shine...:o(

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal         

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2013
6:53 PM

Post #9387687

Holly,. that AV looks great!!! You did well.

Streps like the soil to be on the dry side while AVs like it moist, not soggy. When I water AVs, I can sit them in water for about 20 - 30 minutes before taking them out, but I do not do that with streps. I just water them and let the water drain out. That's it. If the soil is very dry, and is pulling away from the pot, I will soak it for a while.

I have quite a few AV pots, the type that has an inner-pot sitting in water contained in the outer pot. They are good for keeping the plants watered if I am out of town for a few week. Otherwise, they put too much water in the soil, especially the bottom part of the soil as the water level goes down. AV roots tend to stay shallow when planted in such pots because the bottom half of the pots is just too wet for them. Now none of my AV pots of this type is in use now. Streps definitely will not do well in this type of pots.

Streps normally die of over watering. If they get too dry, they wilt, but will plump up within an houur if you give them a good soak. If their leaves remain soft after you have watered them, the problem is over watering.

Sally, the strep that I gave you at the swap was also a 'Bristol's Goose Egg'.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2013
7:01 PM

Post #9387694

Gita, that's a lot of AVs!!! You will need to knock through the walls to make more windows for them. Hahaha!

The older AV leaves on long stems grew when light was low. The tighter leaves in the centers have had too much light. You may want to balance the light somewhat by either reducing the intensity of the light or shortening the time when the light is on. Too much fertilizer can also cause tight and wavy leaves.

AVs and streps like the temperature in the low 70s, but they will survive mid 60s. Some of mine are on the window sill and it gets pretty cold there at night.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2013 9:35 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2013
9:13 PM

Post #9387801

My AV seem to do so well in the AV Pots but you are right very shallow roots.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9388751

Robs also carries some of my fav hoyas to include Bella http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/imagesbyuser.php?user=Chantell&offset=0&grep=Bella&submit=Go and the wonderfully fragrant Lacunosa http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56314/
Back to enjoying succulents (heaven help me) - made up a slew of pots for my daughter to post and some for teachers gifts etc. Thought it would be a neat gift for teachers or folks that wanted to teach little ones about plants. I made sure all plants were 'touch' friendly and included more unique ones for variety. Ugh...don't have the recent shots - only the first one that has since been fixed with top dressing and some plants swapped out. Any who...I thought they turned out cute.

Thumbnail by Chantell

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013
7:58 PM

Post #9388756

Chantell -- those are super cute -- I bet the teachers were thrilled.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
6:56 AM

Post #9389021

Great teacher gifts!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9389027

chantelle--

You can find all kinds of cute planters in Goodwill and other Thrift Stores.
They are usually used by florists for arrangements--like Baby Showers and new arrivals.

I am sure you already knew this--just adding my 2 cents here... Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9389202

Really cut Chantell!

Ok so save or toss? Whatcha think of these two poor AVs i rescued from MIL?
The one has small leaves. Could it be a petite Cultivar?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9389203

Dangit. Pic here.

Thumbnail by sallyg

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9389222

SAVE they ain't nearly dead!!!

Great idea Gita!! Hadn't thought of that. I just keep stalking the walmarts till
I see them Clearanced. Scored 4-5 ladybug ones for $2.50 each!!!

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9389319

Sally, the AVs look fine. Remove the bottom leaves and re-pot them. Removing the bottom leaves will leave a 'neck' on the plant. That's ok. Pot the 'neck' in the soil all the way to just below the first leaves. If you do it now and put them in a warm and sunny place, they should bloom around March/April.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9389568

There are quite a few small AV's that don't get bigger than 6 inches. Ric always shops the Thrift Stores all kinds of good containers there. Don't just look at things that are plant containers either. Cute coffee mugs and other things that can be planted I picked up a really cute small glass container that makes a great little terrarium

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9389622

And--Sally--if you do remove the bottom leaves--root them!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
7:58 PM

Post #9389779

I was all ready to throw them out. Now you have me saving them ...AND TEN NEW BABIES?????????

Darn I just threw out a salad container that would have made a great rooting mini greenhouse for those leaves.

Do I remove the probably horrible roots and any of the now bare stem? Each AV has a "trunk" over an inch long.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9389788

Sally--

Do you have any clear, or almost clear, plastic glasses? Like--the 10oz kind?

Use a small pot--like a 5oz bath cup size--~2" diam. Fill with mix--moisten it in--and plant your AV leaves.
Do not let the bottom of the leaves touch the soil! Firm gently around the stem--about 1 1/2" long stem is good.
Then. push the plastic glass onto the pot as far as needed to create a tight seal.

Voila! A mini Greenhouse. If the seal is tight enough--you will not have to water it again
until new growth shows--maybe 3 months or so? This may depend on warmth and light.
Make sure the leaf sits upright and does ot touch the inside of the glass, which will be moist with droplets.
Label color and date.

Have fun! Gita

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2013
8:42 PM

Post #9389800

Sally, you can remove the yellow/brown leaves and the leaves that make the plants look off balance. If the roots are unhealthy looking you can trim part of them off. Pot the "trunk" in the soil. The soil level can go all the way up to the bottom leaves. New roots will grow out of the "trunk" eventually.

I normally repot AVs when the soil is dry so that I can shake it off the roots easily. To give the plants a better chance of survival, you can saturate them by first giving them a good soak. Sit them in room temperature water for 20 - 30 minutes, and then rinse off the soil carefully before planting them in fresh potting mix. You can use pots of about the same size as the ones they are currently in because they will be smaller plants after you remove some leaves. You can let them stay in the pots for half a year before you pot them up in slightly larger pots.

If you trim off all the roots and only pot up the leaves with the 'trunk', they will recover better if you can dome them for several weeks.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2013 8:58 AM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9389998

Sally--

I also wanted to add that if you pot the leaves in small pots--you can still put them all
under the dome of a cake container. Cakes have REALLY high domes.
That way you do not have to do the glasses on each pot thing.

donner---You ARE the Queen of beautiful AV's!!! Fat and plump--always...
What do you fertilize them with? How often?

I have some Bio Feed liquid seaweed and also some Superthrive. Would AV's need a drop of Superthrive
now and then? Would a seaweed type food be better than MG African Violet liquid food?

Gita

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9390083

Gita, AVs and streps like to be fed very weekly, but constantly. I use a store-bought AV fertilizer, but I also use other indoor plant fertilizers, a practice real AV growers probably will frown on :-). People normally use 1/4 strength of recommend amount on the fertilize label. I use a couple of drops per gallon water every time I water them, but take a few weeks of break from time to time. I normally sit water out for at least 24 hours before using it to water AVs and streps, just to let some of the chlorine dissipate and the water come to the room temperature. I do the same with water for other house plants.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9390217

Thanks---I also have at least 4 gallon bottles filled with water sitting around at all times.

And--I DO have the MG AV food. I tend to be a bit heavier on the drops...OOOps!!

Well--If I sit here on the computer all day--I have!--I will never get to work on my seeds!
Then--I have NO hours next week either--just on Sunday. Kind of nice...

Hugs--how is your ankle doing? Gita

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
11:42 AM

Post #9390231

Gita, my ankle is recovering well. No pain. The cast will stay on for 10 more days, and I am counting :-)

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9390297

Cast? Iissed that some where. Hope it's healing perfectly for you!!
Gita - your pony tail palm is big and beautiful!! How old is it? And do you know which kind it is?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9390423

Chantelle---

I am not sure of the age????
let me take a better picture for you. I actually have two Pony Tail palms...

1--The single one that you saw in the picture wayyy above--in my DR end picture is
about 15-17 years old...I am not sure. It is in a 6" clay/Deco pot.
I know I had it before I got the other one...

2--The multi-based one (it has 5 bulbs) started out as a 3.8" Angel plant. They were as big as marbles..
It is now in a 10" heavy ceramic pot. The "bulbs" are starting to climb on top of each other.
I either bought it when I first started working at the HD (almost 15 years ago)--
OR--I bought it at Franks Nursery and Crafts--which would make it, maybe 16+ years old.
I came to HD right from Franks...to save my sanity!!!

Sorry about the amber glow--That is how it looks when I turn off the flash.
Using a flash made everything whited out.

I do nothing special for these. I water when I think about it. They really do not need any care and
can live without water. That is what the "bulb" does. Store water.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9390546

Gorgeous!!! I have a couple - started with 'Harry' saved from a Target bonsai pot 13 years ago - I just bumped him up (poor thing was rather root bound) to a 10" pot. Ikea had tons over the holidays so I picked up a few - 1 for home and work and some to give as thank you's. The one at work has multiple tufts out of the ine base. I'll post pics when I'm bk at work

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9390560

Awesome ponytails.
My MIL has one that is doing very well sitting right next to the heater, getting hot air blown at it hours a day.

I repotted those AVs today. I took off the sick looking leaves and bad soil. Their was a small tuft of roots on each. So I put that deep in new pots with fresh soil up to their " necks". Ended up with one healthy leaf in its own pot to root.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
6:46 PM

Post #9390669

Sally, the yellow leaves on the AV on the left might be a sign of over fertilization. You may not want to fertilize the newly potted plants in the next month or so.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2013
7:30 PM

Post #9390749

OK- good to know--- but since I know the history of these particular ones- they were subject to extremes of watering and drought and never saw fertilizer since they left the store. (MIL)
I potted them in Miracle Gro soil which may have some added nutrient- though some say that potting soil with fertilizer is undependable.

I use rainwater (at room temp) for all my potted plants.

I told her I would buy her a brand new AV for her pretty pot. She's always had AVs and often had leaves in water and rooted them. Sadly, now, once I put it on the windowsill she will completely forget it's there. Literally; Alzheimer's. However, whenever I go and water it and point it out, it'll be a new joy all over again.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
7:30 PM

Post #9390750

I never have much luck with house plants, kinda ditto what happy said. Jill gave me a night blooming jasmine a while back and that seems to be doing well. I think it is getting ready to bloom for the first time for me. All the discussion about AVs makes me want to try them again - I confess I've killed a few over the years, but that web site donner posted looks mighty tempting...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9390760

aspen, surely we can find the perfect houseplant for you- IF you really want. WHat better group to prescribe the perfect plant AND likely be able to give you one !
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9390761

Oh yes that web site does look pretty tempting.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
9:12 PM

Post #9390838

Hoyas...can't go wrong with them!! They'll go forever w/o water - and not complain a bit...don't require a lot of sun...I mean seriously...if I can keep em alive anyone can. If you want a Ponytail Palm I can see if Ikea has any more when I go next weekend to do my vending.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
9:15 PM

Post #9390841

I don't think I've ever seen a hoya - or if I have, I didn't know what I was looking at. Will have to do a quick look up in plant files. Anything that tolerates under watering abuse will be right up my alley LOL.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
9:17 PM

Post #9390844

Jus look at how pretty Bella is http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/164987/

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
9:23 PM

Post #9390849

Oooooo nice!
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
9:59 PM

Post #9390867

Chantell, that is still one of my most favorite photos of yours! I love it!
I received a cutting of Hoya Odonata last spring, and it just sits there and does nothing!
Four little leaves, and nothing else!

Since we live in an apt, most of my "gardening" is house plants.
While I have never been a big fan of AVs, I did get back into other gessies this past Spring.
I love the streps, and I now have about 30 varieties... I think they have the most beautiful flowers!
I will post a few pics in the morning, when I am up at the main computer.

Gita, I always love pics of your plants in the windows! Beautiful pony tail palms!

Karen
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9391008

This is my plant room... (also the dining room... LOL)

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9391013

Here are some of my streps that are blooming at this time...

Watermelon Wine
Geronimo
Bristol's Spectacular
Spin Art
Wow

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9391019

And some more...

DS-Beloved (changes color over time)
DS-Little Furry Arctic Fox
DS-Mysticism (changes color over time)
Sa'shenka
Painted Silk

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9391045

Imagine that- all those beautiful flowers in someone's home...ahh. Karen, the dining room is a place where you will see them daily, that sounds pretty nice! Along with spectrum lights that would give a great lift in winter.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
7:56 AM

Post #9391057

Omg. Wow. Gorgeous.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9391063

Beautiful colors!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9391069

lol. isn't that way better than a bunch of boring china and glass?!?

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9391131

VA Rose is one of the most active members of the AV forum. You should all go check it out.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2013 8:39 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2013
9:52 AM

Post #9391217

It's been quite awhile since I visited some of the other Forums. Think I might have to get out there and check out some new plants.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9391232

VA Rose -absolutely lovely. I was just on the violetbarn web site that donnersally listed, and I added streps to my cart - more as a wish list/placeholder, but now that I've seen how pretty yours are I'm going back to place the order. Your plant shelves look very similar to the one I put together with the rack from Costco and lights, etc from HD. Did you make yours? When I've got seeds going, the shelves are in my dining room too - right in front of the shelves full of the boring depression glass LOL.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9391361

Wow! Wow! Wow~!!!!! Va wild Rose!!! SOOOOOOO beautiful!!!!

Love you rlight set-up too. All I have is a 3' one and
it is in front of a window in my bedroom. But--it serves the purpose.

Gita

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
4:55 AM

Post #9392066

BEAU-TI-FUL!! I don't suppose any of these are fragrant?
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9394157

Thank you all for your nice comments! Just after loading the pics on Sunday, Palmer and I went out of town to visit my Mom for a couple days... we are just now arriving home tonight.

Donnerville... I have not always been as active as I should be on the Gessie forum, but I had all but gotten out of gessies and other plants five years ago after a nasty 'bout of mealie bugs, and having to destroy and throw out an entire collection! I only came back to them this past spring, because I love the streps so much. I am now trying to help revive the AV and Gessie forum. Just like here, there are some great people over there!

Aspenhill... Got my shelves at Lowes, and my shop lights at Wal-Mart. I see no reason to pay more for something that works so well. I did try to add a timer to the system, but it keeps throwing a breaker, so I must investigate further. For now, I have my lights on 12-14 hours a day.

Chantell... alas, no! Many varieties are advertised as being fragrant, but I have yet to be able to detect any smell from streps. The blooms do last for days though, so they bring me much joy!

I have just recently taken the first step into hybridizing my own! I will keep you posted!

Karen

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9394220

Rose, sorry to hear about your loss of plants. The streps look beautiful now!! I only started to grow AVs and streps about 3 years ago. I was doing well at first, but then my job took me out of town and my plants are just surviving :-(. Hopefully I can grow more of them one of these day, maybe after my work assignment is over.

Strep 'Blue Ice' and AV 'Shimmering Sunshine' in the photos.

Happy gardening.

Thumbnail by donnerville   Thumbnail by donnerville         

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
7:29 PM

Post #9394233

Ehh... it was a long time ago... I took my break from it and got over it.
I'm trying to learn to be more diligent about isolation and prevention now.
For at least three years, I didn't even look at pictures of streps.
When I started looking around last March, the new varieties just blew me away!
The Polish and Russian ones are crazy good! I actually ended up making an order
to the Ukraine directly... and successfully too!
I have a number of leaves down right now for the latest Polish varieties.

Your strep and AV are beautiful donner! Pretty blue on the strep.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
8:02 PM

Post #9394258

VA_Wild_Rose wrote:

I have just recently taken the first step into hybridizing my own! I will keep you posted!

How amazing are you!?!?!
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
9:43 PM

Post #9394350

Ha ha... NOT!!!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2013
8:03 PM

Post #9397793

I officially have a case of winter-itis...doesn't matter when or where...I seem to be 'gathering' plants. Back to eyeballing the succulents, hoyas and even the orchds (God help me!),,,course the Ponytail palms (don't you love the 3 tufts). Love the variety of jades out there now.

Gita do they have these mammoth pitcher plants at your HD? I didn't buy it but certainly wanted a pic of it. :-)

Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell   

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2013
9:35 PM

Post #9397828

Chantell! OMG... Where was that mammoth Pitcher Plant???
I love theses babies and that one looks HUGE!
I might want it depending on cost first, and size second!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2013
4:16 AM

Post #9397885

Chantelle--
I have only seen Pitcher Plants once at my HD. I think it was last year?
No, they were the regular ones.

Years ago--we used to get in Venus Fly Traps as well--but since Bell Nursery took over--we no longer get them.
Probably, because the deteriorate quickly--and every kid has to touch them.
I have read that they can only "stand" opening and closing about 4 times before they start going downhill.

Can you believe the people are having the "Big Plunge" at Sandy Point Beach this weekend???
Some people are commited to the BIG plunge--once every hour for 24 hours. This will raise $10K each
for the Special Olympics...CRAZY!!! It is wayyy below freezing...Water temp is 35*--air temp right now is 22*.
G.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9397936

It is refreshing! It is refreshing...

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9397972

Brrrrr! But a good cause!!

Pitcher plant is at Stafford HD as of last night

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9398178

Refreshing!!!!!!!!!!!!

My son went to Plunge one year. 2011? 2010? They had snow beginning mid morning, the weather was TRULY terrible, and after a few emergency runs they canceled the second round of plungeing and sent everybody home. THere are HUGE numbers of people who make a big event of the day. SOme are very well refreshed as in half drunk...My ex Navy neighbor always goes, maybe being Navy he has trained in it in younger days.

Oops off topic

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2013
11:43 AM

Post #9398234

I wanted to pop in and say I, hope you are keeping warm during this miserable cold weather.
My only saving grace is the fact that my indoor plants keep me sane. I wanted to show you some that are blooming now and have been blooming most of the late fall and winter months.

The first one is a camellia called April Blush, this plant goes outside all summer in full sun and comes in late Sept. She starts to bloom early January and continues. Just now she must have 6 blooms on but she is so big I can not move her to show you all of them, so here is just one.
The second is my weakness, Star Jasmine or as some call it Confederate, Angelwing, Shining Jasmine. No matter what you call it the aroma it give off is so soothing and my bird room smells so good. She started blooming in October and has not stopped. This also gos outside all sumer.

Last but not least is a tiny little plant, looks like a small tree, was started with cuttings from a bonsai, called Dwarf Breynia disticha 'Nana' or dwarf snowflake or dwarf snowbush. It gets little flowers which I have never seen but the plant itself is so adorable and tiny you just want to squeeze it...well, not quite, you know what I mean.

I hope you enjoy my indoor garden plants as much as I do. Also want to wish you a very good day. JB

Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger      

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2013
12:17 PM

Post #9398263

Very nice JB! Love your Jasmine!
I have a Jasmine sambac and I love it when I catch a whiff of it when I am working at the computer!

Karen
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9398650

WOW! That thing is amazing.
JB, What nice plants you have growing there. They look really good.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2013
9:41 PM

Post #9398752

JB - that jasmine's petals look different then I remember my Confederate Jasmine. Is her fragrance fairly strong - like the sambacs? You're making me jealous, you know? Mine won't bloom while indoors - temps not warm enough in my house. They pout, their leaves start looking a rather unhealthy light color - then start loosing their leaves come Feb-March...then do the happy dance when they're back outside mid to late May. So funny...same thing every year.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9398989

Chantell wrote: They pout, their leaves start looking a rather unhealthy light color - then start loosing their leaves

Chantell, So glad to hear you say that, my Jasmine is looking just like that. It's in the GH but you know the temps down there get into the 50's at night. So now I know that it is normal and hopefully it will come back when the temp go up.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9399013

Chantell, I just knew that every time a fragrant flower was mentioned the next post would be yours. LOL! We are ordering oriental lilies on another thread. You don't want to miss it.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9399023

Hey, maybe you are over watering those jasmine...the ones in the greenhouse and the ones in the house all are really green just now and blooming, but, the Jasmine Sambac Maid of Orleans has just begun to get some yellowing on the new leaves coming in. But she is not blooming either. It has been so cold here and the GH goes down to 55 sometimes lower, but during the day the sun is very hot and it goes up to 90 sometimes 100, it is impossible to keep these plants watered the way they should be. I do not water for sometimes two or three days in the GH just now because of that. Same as in the house, which is about 70 deg.
They do not drink as much in the winter and they can be over watered. Rather wait until they feel dry before you water them. Sometimes dry on top does not mean dry roots too.

I do not know what to tell you Chantell about the petals except this is a Jasmine nitidum. The species all have differences and when I bought these I thought I was buying one Star Jasmine nitidum and one Royal Jasmine which is a Jasmine grandiflorum. Logee is selling the Jasmine nitidum as a Royal, when in fact it is a Star. If you look on DG Plant files
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1198/ look at the second picture on the right side and you will see a picture that is actually a Royal , not a Star...the first picture is a Star. I would remove that picture, but then maybe they got one that was mislabeled. I really did some research on these two different species especially when Logees sent me the plant. I did buy another Star from Hert and there jasmine was a Star for sure. I told Logee about it but they did not want to hear it. So, who am I to argue. I think it is pretty clear, if you look at the flowers on the first picture, the star ( nitidum) it is not the same as the second picture which is the Royal. Wow, I did not mean to get into all that, but the jasmine are so special, I just want to be sure what I have when I get one I like and of course I propagate and sell. The star has a strong beautiful aroma, almost like the Maid of Orleans which is a Sambac.

Forgive me for this long post. Just wanted to share the info with you. BTW, I still do not have a Royal. LOL

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
10:17 AM

Post #9399110

I'm having the same problem with Jasmine cuttings from Jill! All the older leaves yellowing and falling, can't seem to make her happy. Yet still seems to be growing at the tip.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9399116

Sure is a learning curve for me with the GH mine is up to 95 right now. Ric worked in his Uncles commercial GH about 40 years ago so he is pretty good about knowing how and what needs to be done. Today would be the perfect day to do a little GH keeping and plant cleaning.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
11:23 AM

Post #9399163

Sally, maybe you can pull up those cuttings and plant them deeper to "restart" them. Check for those mites... they can hide pretty well.

My NBJ isn't doing much growing or blooming lately, probably because I've bee letting those berries mature; bet that's where its energy goes.

Time to grow a couple of AV babies, something I haven't done in a while (because I get a little obsessed with it). But Joyanna would adore them, and she's getting dextrous enough to pot up her own.

There's a great violet place up near Gettysburg... good road trip / meet-up! It's been a few years since I've been up there. They used to allow people to stop by as long as they called earlier in the week... they may be too busy now with show sales to allow that. Looks like they're only shipping leaves now, not plants. And I don't see a "come see us!" page any more. Hmm. But they still have a great selection! http://www.violetgallery.com/

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9399203

Critter, I have always loved AV but can not seem to grow them, can not even root a leaf. What do you suggest if I wanted to start a collection. What should I begin with. Something easy to grow. I want to much to grow them. I adore the colors, etc. I will check out the link to the violet gallery.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9399259

At the risk of sounding flippant, I'd suggest you read my "AV 101" article: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/249/ . I wrote several other articles on African Violets back when I was growing bunches of them... click on the "for more articles by Jill" link at the bottom of any of my articles to find them, or search the articles for "african violets" or click my name at the left of this post & scroll down.

Most people who have trouble with them are watering too much and/or using a heavy potting mix. Try half perlite and half "regular" potting mix, and check with your finger before you water. AVs with root rot droop and look just like AVs desperate for water!

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9399265

So far so good. No pests yet.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED   Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED   Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED   Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED   Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9399287

Nice plant display, Roses. Love that Spider plant on the mantle--and the purple Oxalis by the window.
Just perfect!

Wish I had windows like yours...:o( I have NO direct sun in any of my windows--except in my bedroom--
and that is where I have my light set-up. At this time, it is full of Coleus cuttings, AV's, and on yjr top shelf--
my Brug cuttings as well as a couple CC's.

Still--everything makes it through the winter in OK shape. Some level of neglect can be
a positive thing when it comes to plants. G.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9399296

Notice your Brugs and Brazilian Plume Flower, Gita?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9399299

Roses, Sure does look nice. I remember what a beautiful home you have.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
2:38 PM

Post #9399313

Roses---
Braz, Plume is picture #4. Right? I did notice that. The brugs--are on the window sash--right? looking good!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9399321

Roses - gorgeous pics...such a beautiful view as well!! I have yard envy!!

JB - I'll do as you mentioned with the watering - they seem fairly dry when I throw water their way but I'll be better and dig my finger in there...LOL. I think I 'need' a star jasmine from you at some point this spring/summer...when/if you have some avail. We'll talk via dmail or email though as I don't want to get the forces that be upset.

Donner - :-) I'm consistent though you gotta admit. Course now I've got to go find that thread you're referring to...have mercy!!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9399333

AV 101 article...ok! At the moment I have none because I am too stupid to raise them. I am hoping that will change after I read your article. Thanks.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9399363

JB, if they were not tough plants I'd never have succeeded with them. I will try to stick a couple leaves of "Big Blue", my favorite toughest everbloomingest noid variety so I have him to share around this spring. No worries!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9399407

very very nice Roses
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9399581

Great pics and windows Roses!
I have the light, just not as big of windows!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9399609

JB - I simply can not believe that a woman that can keep Gardenias alive indoors in pots struggles with AV's...say it ain't so... HUGS

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9399917

ditto to Chantell, its funny how we develop a knack for certain plants.

My plumeria looks so weird right now. It has baby flowerbuds on two stems and I am nursing it hoping those will open this spring. But all the leaves are gone. Yet the stem ends are really fat and healthy looking.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9400238

Oh my African Gardenia is blooming again. I can not believe that plant. It just keeps on blooming about every two months. The bedroom smells so good. The plant is now almost three feet tall. I have two, the other one I cut up because it was not happy and now it is in the greenhouse and it is also blooming. This one has a soft sweet aroma. Not sickening, just nice and soft and sweet. LOL

Thumbnail by JBerger

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
11:14 AM

Post #9400261

Sounds wonderful!!!! Googling African Gardenia now...

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9400365

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/114014/

I got mine at Logee's and they grow very fast. Like lots of water. I have mine inside a Southern window and it gets late afternoon sun.
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9409243

A few more of my streps blooming today...

Bristol's Mello Jello
DS-Little Furry Arctic Fox
Geronimo
Nerys... this one actually sits on my desk at work

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9409246

And some more...

A double image of DS-Polar Summer... a color-changing strep... day one and day four
Eva
TSF-Zhizel

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose      

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9409249

And some other plants...

Jasmine sambac
Pearcea abunda
Purple Passion or Purple Velvet plant
Sinningia Gabriel's Horn sport

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9409254

So nice to see these pictures. It must be heaven to see them in person during this dark cold weather!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013

Post #9409405

Gorgeous deep rich colors !
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9409437

Love the variety.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9409591

Here's my lowly offering. A new violet for my MIL

Otherwise, plants are hanging in here OK and looking forward to spring.

Thumbnail by sallyg

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9409602

Here is my offering--NOT exactly "lowly"--but there is not much else blooming.

Just too this picture to show you. A bit out of focus...Oh, well...

Sally--is yours fixing to bloom yet?

Wonder if Terp's is? I will send this to him as well.

edited to say--my other one is still sitting there with NO buds even showing.
They bloom when they feel like it--i suppose...

This message was edited Feb 5, 2013 6:49 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9409617

Wow G- full blown bloom!
My has no buds showing yet, but is starting to grow, main plant plus three good sets. The laundry room where it sits is pretty chilly. Maybe if it were warmer.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9409775

Sally---

This one put out a stalk of buds-to-be while still in my basement. Dark--cool--no watering...
The other one--same size--same conditions--nothing showing yet.

I brought both of them upstairs when the one started to make buds.
Equal treatment--one in full bloom--the other one still snoozing.

I only have the two now--which is what I always wanted.
Paul bough the other four before Christmas--one (two?) to keep--the other ones to give away as gifts.

Happiness is NOT having 8 pots of big Clivias in my possession...:o)

Here is what to look for when the buds start pushing through that thick base.
I don't know how they make it--it's like giving birth to a baby...

When the bloom stem is getting half way up--you may want to stake it--or it will just
bend over and may even break. You can see i already have it staked in pic. #4. Green tie in place.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2013
7:55 PM

Post #9409822

Hey all,

The clivias that I have given away are not blooming up yet. Three of the four I see or am in contact with on a regular basis. I stopped with the cold dark dormanant period when I got them, the week before Xmas. Perhaps, it was not long enough of a period perhaps not. Either way the foliage is gorgeous.

The one I kept for myself had a baby sprouting and I recall reading somewhere its recommended to keep one in a smaller pot to allow it to focus its energy on a bloom and another in a much larger pot to allow it to reproduce. So I'll probably try that perhaps if I can't get a bloom this year and to have more to give!

I've been a bit sidetracked recently I am really trying to get focused on a career and moving forward. I'm excited for the spring swap and perhaps the seed luncheon!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
9:47 PM

Post #9409866

Clivia just has its own ideas about whether or when to bloom. I love the dark green leaves, too.

Hey Paul, Good luck with that!! We're all rooting for ya

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
4:23 AM

Post #9409933

Va Wild Rose - your strep photos are beautiful. I was inspired when I saw the first grouping and started browsing the violet barn website. I ordered a few last Fri that should be arriving today or tomorrow. One order is going to my friend Cheryl who is down in FL for the winter - today is her birthday, and she absolutely loves the strep that she received from donner-sally at a plant swap. Another order is coming my way. I know they'll be really small on arrival - can't wait until they get to blooming size. Your latest photos makes me want them even more!

Blooming here - one amaryllis is in full bloom right now and the christmas cactus division that I took from my Mother's 50 year old plant from Grandma. Small division, but each tip has a pink flower! And, it is definitely a christmas cactus vs thanksgiving cactus.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2013
4:45 AM

Post #9409940

Those Streps are just gorgeous.
I've had Clivia for years. Several of Gita and from the HGHA Raffle Tables and I have only once seen a bloom and it was very small and stunted. I have a couple of really pretty violets blooming right now.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9410132

I do think that Clivias really need that winter's rest/dormancy. And--you are not supposed to water them at all during winter.

From the Papmphlet I gave everyone:

",,...it requires a definite rest period in winter if it is to bloom profusely the following year.
The number of blooms in each flower group (umbel) give a clear picture of how well the plant is thriving."

also:..."If the pot is too big, the leaves will grow well but it will be short on flowers; on the other hand,
there will be lots of new plants later"...also: ""Clivias like good soil. but too much room in the pot
inhibits flowering. Clivias are happiest when crowded."

I think all the Clivias will bloom sooner or later for you all. Don't fuss too much over these plants.
Ignorance is bliss in this case...G.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9410143

I do think maybe mine just has too much space. I do a pretty good job on ignoring it.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9410145

So it is true ignorance is bliss.

I have no doubt that it will bloom in time. I enjoy the comparison of the same plant in various conditions and or environments.
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
11:41 AM

Post #9410318

Good luck with your streps aspen hill!
What did you order?

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9410385

I ordered:
Bristol Fish Lips [HYPERLINK@www.violetbarn.com]

Bristol Mei Lee [HYPERLINK@www.violetbarn.com]

Bristol Frazzle Dazzle [HYPERLINK@www.violetbarn.com]

and Sashenka - shown in the thumbnail

Thought that these four would give a general color variety to get started with.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2013 3:47 PM

Thumbnail by aspenhill

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9410733

Great! I love Sa'shenka! The markings on it are striking. It is one of my faves. It blooms great too!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
10:41 PM

Post #9410836

I 'need' an African Gardenia now...and I 'blame' JB (smoochies)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2013
6:04 AM

Post #9410967

Does anyone know what this is? Donner I think it probably came from you but not entirely sure. I just missed this bloom it's pretty wilted but you get an idea of what it looked like. It is a cascader, probably 2 ft long.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS         

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2013

Post #9410979

Swedish Ivy?

This message was edited Feb 7, 2013 9:20 AM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9410987

Here are a few of my blooming AV

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS      

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9411021

Oh Holly they are beautiful. I am trying to decide do I want to try again to raise AV. How can you tell if they are patented?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9411035

I don't think my AV's will bloom as long as it is cold, as they sit very close to my big LR window.
I do have a couple pretty ones--once they bloom.

If I may borrow a couple pictures from Oct. 2011--here are the two I like.
I am sure some of the leaves I have rooting are from one of these.
I have quite a lot of those going...
G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal      

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9411291

Beautiful AVs Holly and Gita...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9411325

VA_Wild_Rose wrote:Beautiful AVs Holly and Gita...

ditto

Holly, maybe a Streptocarpella?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9411354

Thanks Sally I thought it was a Strep???
I have a blue one that is slightly different than this one. It has similar soft leaves and cascades but the stems are different. It has blue flowers and I thought it was a Strep???, too. When I looked up the Streptocarpella it looked just like the one with the blue flowers.
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2013
10:19 PM

Post #9411739

Holly, that plant you are trying to ID is an Alsobia, but I don't know which one...
Maybe Alsobia dianthiflora...

Karen
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2013
4:46 AM

Post #9411806

Thanks Karen, I think that's it.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9412140

I keep asking this question but no one is giving me an answer. How do they mark African Violets that are patented? If I learn how to propagate these I want to be able to sell them.
So, before I begin my search for stock plants, I need to know. What is the AVSA number on some of the violets mean? If that just an ID number of is it the patent number? HELP!

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9412176

This site has info on lots of things that are patented. Maybe it can help you.

http://www.patentfish.com/african-violet

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
11:22 AM

Post #9412182

That answered my question, they also use PP. The AVSA must be an association or somegroup the growers belong to and register their violets. I just had to be sure I knew what I was looking for. Most plants are marked PP when patented but not everyone tells you if they are and then you get them , then you see the little tag and it is too late. LOL Thanks so much.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9412429

Here is a link I have in mt Bookmarks. http://www.lyndonlyon.com/

Here is another one--- http://www.violetbarn.com/

From Google: This may not be much help--but... http://violetvoice.yuku.com/topic/519/AVs-Progagation-and-Patents#.URWMWvJtxMg

Maybe this will help---seems a lot to read though... http://www.patentfish.com/african-violet

Getting a bit closer----This link gives you pictures of named varieties. Explore the side links for more info.

http://www.valleyviolets.com/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=4:standards&Itemid=55

OK, JB!

You'll have some reading and looking to do. Gita

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9415250

Sat morning I had a couple of small errands to run and I had JR with me so I decided to stop at a local nursery and look at their AV or any thing else that might catch my eye. I picked up 2 new AV and a Pitcher plant that just fascinated JR. Not entirely sure that I can keep the Pitcher Plant alive, I have never had one before. It might need to go down to the GH as it likes a high humidity environment. I am hoping that it will catch the few Stink Bugs we have buzzing around on occasion.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9415280

Holly--

LOVE the violets...such vibrant colors! So healthy!

The ones that come into HD are always in the plastic sleeves and look nothing like
the quality of the ones you got.
Mass-grown; Mass-produced; Mass delivered; and mass sold.
They go out of bloom and then get tossed.

Kind of goes against all our plant nurturing and gardening mentality--doesn't it?
G.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9415322

Gita, I have 3 AV from my days at Lowes, Picked them up when they discounted them they are very nice now but you should have seen them when I first brought them home. Really they are almost impossible to take care of them in those types of stores. They usually end up on a shelf under some hanging baskets where they get dripped on and over watered. I often wondered how they made any money on them at all. I paid 3.99 each for these two new ones and the ones at the big box stores cost that much and aren't very nice.
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9415780

Ooohh... I love the pitcher plant!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9415788

Yes, It is really a neat plant. The pitchers grow from the tips of the leaves. There is a tendril that comes off the tip of the leaf it would wrap around something if it could and then the pitcher grows on the end of the tendril.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9415811

Oh, that's a very impressive pitch plant! I can use one because I have got plenty of bugs inside the house :-)

I bought a few carnivorous plants last year and kept them on the patio table. They did great for a couple of weeks before they were eaten by something. I thought it might have birds trying to get to the bugs stuck on the plants, but could not be sure. I finally gave up and gave the plants to a friend who had many carnivorous plants but had no trouble with plants being eaten.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9415890

Sorry I missed your post earlier, Holly... That's Alsobia 'Cygnet'. I got it in a trade, and it cascades so freely that it's a great passalong plant, almost as easy as rooting spiderlings from a spider plant. I'll bring some to the swap Saturday... anybody who wants it, LMK and I'll tuck it in your goodie bag.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9415982

I was thinking it came from either you or Donner. It is a great plant and Ric has some rooting in the GH.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9416042

I'll give it a go. Sounds like an easy care free plant.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9416109

Holly---Quiet a coincidence that you need info on Carniverous plants as house plants.

In today's Paper--someone asked the same thing--and the University of Maryland Extension's Home and
Garden Information Center Service
had this to say: (They offer free gardening and pest information).
Call: 800-342-2507
"Some carniverous plants survive outdoors, such as our native Pitcher Plants and Sundews.
They grow best in the unique environment of a bog garden, where soil is waterlogged and acidic.

Check out this link from Penn State:
extension.psu.edu/montgomery/programs/master-gardener/the-learning-gardens/the-water-garden

I had to type this link out--and so will you, more than likely. Hope it works. Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2013
4:36 AM

Post #9416330

Thanks Gita, I will check that out.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013

Post #9416432

HELP: prayer plant er!!

I have no idea what happened to this guy, probably neglect. Can he be saved??

Thumbnail by UMD_Terp

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9416440

Awww, Paul! That looks so sad!

I don't have much advice. I have seen this kind of disaster myself. So-I never grow them.
A funny note--In your picture--it looks like it is, actually, "n the toilet". A proper burial!

The only idea I have is that it may have been over watered and rotted out. I think the
Prayer Plant likes it on the dryer side--I think it is also a low light plant. Just that comes to mind...

If you can still find any of the growing tips alive--break them off at the closest "joint" and put in water to root.

Here is the PF link. Read all the comments at the end--that, I have found, is where one can learn the most
on the particular plant you searched for.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54735/

Here's one link: http://www.helium.com/items/1307999-houseplants-how-to-care-for-maranta

Gita

And--another:
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9416446

Lol thanks gita. I will try and get a cutting or something. Kind of strange I lost a very vibrant. Parrot lily too this year. The roots looked great it just died completely back. I still have it with the hope that it just needed to sleep and not rest eternally. Lol.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9416458

Geez! I no sooner hit "send" when your reply was already there!!!!
How speedie can one get...

OOPs!! You were replying about the Maranta--not about the begonia...
mea culpa!

This message was edited Feb 12, 2013 9:46 AM
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9416983

UMD_Terp...

Is that a Maranta? Sometimes, You can trim back the dead or dying foliage on these, water so the soil is just moist, keep in a bright but not full sun position, and new growth will sprout up. I've done that to a couple Marantas (Prayer Plant) in my time and they have come back this way.

Good luck!

Karen
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9417018

Thanks Karen. I'll give it a try!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2013
4:55 AM

Post #9417436

Ok, So yesterday I made my last shopping trip out to another Nursery. Think my two Nursery trips have calmed my winter blues. We picked up a couple of small purple passion plants for Ric to propagate and a brilliant Golden Swedish Ivy that he can also propagate for me. I am hoping to have a lot of these in hanging baskets this spring. Also a Vancouver Centennial Geranium.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2013
5:17 AM

Post #9417458

That's great! Love the ivy and the geranium. Must be the warm weather.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9417598

LOVE those colors!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9417704

All my new plants have been up-potted to 4"sq. pots, and watered in. I love that sq. pot for the GH. They give you maximum soil for the space and when in a flat, uniform watering with less slop. The temps were ideal yesterday to turn off all electric and gas to the GH and set off a pyrethroid canister to fog the entire thing. Pyrethrins have a very low mammalian toxicity, and are one of the safest insecticide to use. Originally pyrethrins were made from Chrysanthemums. I had a few spider mites and aphids to clean up and this should do it. Ric

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9417875

Nice, Ric/ Holly! I like those geraniums and don't seem to see them last few years.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9418730

Good idea on the pyrethrum fog, Ric!

That golden ivy is yummy, and I'm usually not one for yellow leaves (they make me think something is wrong! wrong! wrong! LOL)... love it with that geranium!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9419443

Speaking of geraniums may I take a moment to 'toot' my own horn? I'll guess y'all shook your heads yes (giggle). I trimmed 6 pieces from my rose/lemon (something or other) scented geranium that was planted outside last summer and THEY ALL ROOTED. Yes - I've actually rooted something...I'm so proud of myself I can't stand it!! :-)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2013
8:41 PM

Post #9419464

Whoopie!! I think Ric is hoping to get cuttings from the one we brought home. It will be interesting to see what all we end up with by May. How about a few pics from the GH.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2013
9:46 PM

Post #9419518

yayChantell!

yayRicnHolly!
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9419881

Just a couple today...

First is two streps that happen to be sisters... Batik and Spin Art
Watermelon Wine... a nice red
DS-Polar Summer... with a new bloom open, you can really see the color-change

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose      

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2013

Post #9420193

They really are beautiful plants. You know I never see them in our local nurseries.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9420211

I have never visited any "local Nurseries" to buy plants. I seldom even buy plants!
Seem to have enough as it is.

I suppose it would be nice to cruise through Watsons or valley View farms.
Both are too far for me to just go shopping there...

I need to learn more about Nurseries around my area. Just as a diversion...just to go see...yeah????

Gita
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9420312

Holly... I have only ever seen a strep in a nursery one time, and it was here in F'burg... about this time of year, when they have the cyclamens and other pretties out.
Nurseries probably find them to difficult to keep alive until someone buys them. You can't mistreat a strep... they are ssoooo unforgiving!

Karen

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9420338

I've never seen them at local nurseries either. I never even saw a strep until I saw Donner-Sally's at one of the swaps a few years ago. Seeing Karen's pictures made me go seeking these out at the violet barn link that Donner-Sally posted. I received my first order of four last week. As tiny as they are, two of the four actually have a few blooms. Funny story - I sent an order to my friend Cheryl for her birthday. She is in FL for the winter. When the box arrived, the return address read Violet Barn. She was racking her brain trying to think who "Violet Barn" was and why she would be sending a package. Didn't realize it was from me until she got to the gift note packed inside LOL...

Karen, you may have already posted it, but where do you get your streps from? You have a wonderful collection, and your photograpy shows it off to perfection.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9420343

wild rose---

Please educate me on what would be "mistreating" a Strep.
This past year was the first time I got a couple from a DG friend.

I have 2--and they are growing well--but no blooms. I think it is because they are cold...
I have no other place to put them--so they sit on a shelf just inside my big LR window.
I have very fewother optios where to put them...I have noticed they go dry very fast...

What else can you tell me, please---and thank you. Gita

#1--This is where they sit...you can see them...The glass of the window is, maybe, 3" away.
And--#2--here is my LR and DR---a real "jungle"...This is not all! I have plants everywhere!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal         

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9420423

Streps are (in my opinion) VERY picky about their water requirements! If they dry out, they wilt very quickly... but over-watering them is DEATH! They are extremely prone to root rot by over-watering. Looking at your pictures Gita, yours appear to be happy in their current location. If they are not blooming, my first guess is that they may need some fertilizer. Another thing that they are very sensitive about! All the growers I know use either a balanced fertilizer or a high nitrogen fertilizer regularly, BUT at only 1/8 to 1/4 strength... I use an orchid fertilizer with 20-14-13 and no urea... and I only use 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. Streps also do not like old potting mix. (I told you they were picky!) Most growers re-pot theirs every 4-6 months. I am not quite that good! Ha ha! I do use a very light mix... one part peat moss, one part vermiculite, and one part perlite... but with one little additive (my secret ingredient!)... I add about 1/2 part composted horse manure! Now my windows and my sliding door all face directly south, so I can't put my streps in the windows... too much sun! I have them under 2-buld T8 lights, and they do very well.

I hope this helps! I have certainly killed enough of them... but because I love their flowers so much, I didn't give up and kept trying, and trying until I think I got it right... at least for me!

Karen
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013

Post #9420434

This photo was taken just a couple days ago.
This is S. Wow... It was potted up in September.
It had four small leaves and no blooms... now look at it!

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013

Post #9420435

Close-up of the blooms on Wow...

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2013
4:17 AM

Post #9420642

WOW!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
5:01 AM

Post #9420663

haha
Yes WOW !
well, I accidentally gave my first one just what she likes then. From donner at fall swap, I moved it to a small clay pot and it needs frequent drinks but I guess the clay dries it out. It keeps adding leaves through the fall and winter.

Considering all those special needs, Karen.. you are a real pro with all those !

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
5:13 AM

Post #9420673

Wild Rose---

That is AMAZING!!!! Love the frills...and the colors!

Thanks for your explanation on the needs of Streps.
I think I am OK on all things you suggested--except the fertilizing.
High N--HUH? The think I have used a bit is some MG AV fertilizer--the 7 drops per qt.
I also have some sea-weed food of some kind I got on line. I have "Superthrive"...
Will have to check out some of the other fertilizers and see which one is OK for houseplants
and a bit higher in "N"
They are potted in Pro Mix--loose enough, and the light at this window is not direct sun--
as I have the patio roof outside in front of it with only 2 sky lights.
On sunny days--there is beautiful, gentle sunlight coming through this window.

I do not think I have ever over watered them. As i said--they seem to dry out quickly.

Thanks for your help---If a leaf ever breaks off the one in the photo--send it to me...
OH! talking about leaves breaking off---what do you do and how do you prepare it for rooting?
I have read that you can just cut it in half and it is OK.

OK, gotta get ready! Hope the snow stays away...we ARE heading a bit West for the Swap...Gita

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9420767

I guess I should know, but what is a strep? It is so frustrating when you all talk about these plants and use abbreviations. I feel so stupid having to ask, but I am limited in my knowledge of many houseplants other than the ones I decide to grow. Can not clutter up my old brain with information I may never use. Dumb me. JB
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9420888

You are welcome Gita. Enjoy the swap! Wish I could have gone... Working.

JB... Never wrong to ask what you don't know... Streptocarpus... A gesneriad, like African Violets.

Karen

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9420912

They are beautiful, do they have a common name? I thought they were AVs (I know that one)☺
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
11:20 AM

Post #9420989

Just Streptocarpus...
I have seen some people call them Cape Primrose, but that is very misleading since they are not in the primrose family.

Streps are in the gesneriad family along with African Violets. Others in the same family are Episcia, Columnea, Streptocarpella, and Sinningia.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
1:39 PM

Post #9421123

Thank you...off to do some research tomorrow. I love learning about new plants that I can possibly propagate. People today need plants they can grow and not stress over. I am trying to change my inventory to meet their needs. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
4:28 PM

Post #9421299

JB--

Go to "The Violet Barn" website. That is where many people buy theirs from.
I will check it out myself...just to drool...
You do not see Streptocarpus in your average Nursery.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9421455

after Karen's description of the needs of Streps --- sound like more stress for grower and buyer.

Buttoneer gave me a little sprout of this today
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/107005/
its surprisingly fuzzy, we saw one at dutch plant farm.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9421674

I would think they would do very well in an AF pot. The only thing I've recommended Holly to do is when feeding, remove the inner pot from the reservoir pot and sit it on a saucer for the day. After a bit of time carefully feed from the surface (don't wet the leaves) and allow to drain on the saucer before returning to the reservoir. I'm sure the food will not be able to be absorbed through the unglazed pot. If you think about it, the salt build up in a terracotta pot is from feeding with inadequate flushing resulting in salinization of the soil. Ric

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9421807

I found mealies on a tiny Kalanchoe today- Out the door!!!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9422002

The Violet
is already on my bookmarks. I love that place and yes they do have them. I just never noticed before since I only looked at the AVs.

I am ready to scream, talk about mealy bug. I have them back in the house again. NOT THE GH thank goodness. At least I did not have them yesterday. LOL..Also, I got rid of the scale, but now the camellias have white fly. Is there ever an end to these things. The disocactus x hybrid is a mess, I hate that plant and I need to keep it because my friends mother gave it to me but it is a PITA. It is too big for me to lift to begin with and it is full of thorns and it is where the mealy bug starts. I just cut a bunch of stems off of it today and I am going to soak them in water and soap and see if I can keep some for cuttings. First I have to get them cleaned up for sure. I do not want any of their little friends to go into the GH by mistake. It took me two hours to water and spray and now I am just exhausted plus I have not had lunch yet. Great day of rest. See you guys later. Need to take a break. JB
ladysoth
Alexandria, VA

February 17, 2013
8:41 PM

Post #9422537

I don't do well with indoor plants. My house is pretty dark and I forget to water them. I do, however, have some planted aquariums and they give me my indoor plant fix.

Thumbnail by ladysoth   Thumbnail by ladysoth         

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9422725

The Streptocarpus someone (who was it?) brought to the swap were gorgeous - it is making me re-think my vow to do no (well, very few) house plants -- though Ric's caution about their care is sobering.

ladysoth: Your aquariums are lovely.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
5:35 AM

Post #9422739

Happy, it was Marlene who brought the Streptocarpus. So pretty!

It was wilted when I checked on it last night. I definitely need to put it in a bigger pot asap.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
5:41 AM

Post #9422741

Marlene: I'm sorry for not giving you proper credit -- the Streptocarpus were gorgeous!

ssgardener: The one think I remember Gita telling me is that the streps need to be pot-bound to bloom.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9422796

ladysoth- such lush aquariums! I never got beyond Anacharis, and plastic plants.

Scroll up about twenty posts to see what Va Wild Rose says about care.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9422823

Ladysoth, I was nodding as I read Sally's post, lush is the word! As well as the plants in our water features and our gardens do, we have never been successful with aquarium plants. We can even turn elodea into brown mush in record time, hence our aquarium in decorated with rocks. LOL Back when I had Mollies and Guppies I had to use those floating yarn thingys to protect the young. Ric

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9422838

Really nice aquariums Ladysoth. They look so healthy and lush.

I'm trying streps for the first time this winter thanks to those gorgeous tempting photos that Va Wild Rose has been posting. I repotted them from the tiny 2" paper cup pots that they were shipped in to a 4" pot - still small, so I'm hoping that will be ok. If they really start growing, I plan to move them up to a 6" pot at the 6 - 8 month mark which will also change out the soil as per Va Wild Rose's tips. One question though, she said that she wasn't putting them in her window because of too much light, but has them under a T8 light. Is the light from a window that much brighter than a T8 light, what is the difference? I'm going by her recommendation and have mine under the T8 lights along with my early indoor seedlings. I'm really enjoying them. I can see myself going overboard with streps if I have any kind of success with these first few!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9422899

aspenhill- My one and only and first ever strep looks really happy, about eight inches or a foot from a south facing window and to the side a bit. It may be getting a trace of winter sun each pm.

My biggest issue with windowsill growing is that soon you get those blazing spring days where the sun just cooks the windowsill in an afternoon.

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9422917

The sunlight from a full southern exposure is too much... it burns the leaves.
If my only east window in one bedroom was available, it would be perfect!
But that window is occupied by our birds!

I keep the T-8s on about 14 hours a day now. I can't explain it, but the fluorescent lights don't burn my plants.

Karen
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9422919

Ladysoth... Your aquariums are gorgeous!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9422924

Happy---

I don't remember telling you that Streps need to be pot-bound. I have not had Streps long enough to
make such a statement...Maybe just a year and a half--and I only have two--from donner.
They are not blooming either--and i was asking for advice on why not...
Now I have three--thank you Marlene...

I may have been talking about AV's??? Or maybe Epis?

I resolve to feed my Streps more--and maybe they will bloom...Gita
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013

Post #9422925

The next time I have a day off that is dedicated to plants, I will take photos as I pot up, and post some tutorials soon.

Karen
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9422932

Karen,

That would be a great help!! Maybe make an article out of it. We all have gotten a bit of strep this winter from you and your gorgeous plants. Marlene bringing some to the swap was such a treat. Thanks Marlene and Karen!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9423076

Karen, such a nice offer.

HA! "Strep Fever"

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9423120

Maybe my sore throat was related to "Strep Fever instead of the flu after all. It can't be coincidence that I only got better once I had a few potted up and on my plant shelf LOL...
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
1:01 PM

Post #9423317

You must be very careful with strep fever!
Once you get bitten by the bug, you may never get rid of it!
LOL!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9423442

I think I am about to get that fever also. I was on The Violet site and oh my goodness my wish list is full. I do not want to ship anything this weather but I found several I would love to try. I must wait until it warms up to have anything shipped into here. With the USPS delivering most of the priority mail from places these days, if they do not ship on a Mon. or Tues. it will sit in a truck overnight in this cold weather and puff, there goes the plant. It is best to wait until the nighttime temps are above freezing. Even the severe cold could stress a young plant too much to expect it to survive and bloom in a few months. I would rather wait. But, I can feel the fever coming on and I think there has to be something to take for that other than a credit card held in your left hand for ten minutes. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9423692

JB.

My PO man swore to me that mail NEVER sits in a truck--anywhere. I asked...
If it's on a truck--it will be delivered.

Oh, my! Do I even dare to go look at the Violet barn? I really don't want to get sick with Strep...
G.
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9423784

I'm going to get everyone in the mid-Atlantic sick with the strep bug!
It'll be bigger than the flu!

LOL!

The Violet Barn is a great place to buy streps, as well as other gesneriads too! And I even hear he has African Violets! ;o)

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9424092

OK, Gita, far be it from me to argue with you regarding the USPS because I only know what happens in NJ. If it is not in a truck it is in another unheated place and either way, it is not good for the plants. I have been shipping plants for years and have begun to notice some of the bigger places are even delaying shipping depending on the type of plants they sell.

The Violet Barn gives you an option this time of year to ship on the date they choose, delay it or ship Express to insure overnight delivery. They will not guarantee plants on any type shipping except Express delivery. When you are in the business and people want their plants now, there is no way you can guarantee your plants will live through the process of the sudden changes in temperatures. Beginning in the Fall when the weather turns cooler, I always take the plants to be shipped out of the GH a few days before they ship and let them cool down from the warm GH to the normal everyday house temps. That saves them the stress of a very sudden change. If you live North of the Mason-Dixon Line and order plants in this weather you are shipping at your own risk for sure. This is just something to think about...that is why we have wish lists. LOL

Karen, I hope you have a Strep 101 ready for all of us. I can guarantee I will need some assistance or maybe just moral support. I am going to wait to order until the weather at night is above freezing for several nights. I want to be sure they are given a good chance. I must look and see where The Violet Barn is located. That will make a difference also.

Looking forward to the fever. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9424190

Dearest JB---

it is NEVER my intention to argue with you. I would, surely, lose...:o)

Just passing on what I have been told. G.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9424423

I'm not a fighter Gita Honey, I am a lover. Especially on this thread. Everyone is so helpful and kind. I am happy to be here to learn what I can and get the fever too. JB

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
12:17 PM

Post #9424512

JB,
I recently ordered from Violet Barn (shipped Feb 6th), and want to pass on that the packing was pretty elaborate for protecting against the cold - the whole box was lined with some type of insulation. USPS will not deliver down my dirt road, so I have to pick up at the in-town Post Office. Box was on the delivery truck for the day, and then I'm guessing in the Post Office overnight. No damage at all to the plants when I picked up the next day and although not freezing, temps were pretty cold. Probably still a good idea to wait until temps are above freezing in your area, but with the type of packing they do you wouldn't need to wait until spring :)

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9424520

Thanks aspenhill, that is good to know. I still am going to wait a few weeks at least. The temps at night are in the teens and it is just too cold and windy at this time. I am not shipping even South right now. Until they leave here, go to North Jersey to the sorting station (where is is colder than here),before going to more trucks or the airport, I know my tropicals or even the cactus will not make it without some damage and I pack pretty good too. (Ask Gita) I would rather be safe than sorry. If I am going to get Strep fever I want to do it right. Hugs. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9424671

You bet JB knows how to pack! Look and see!

1--Here is the big box that held 6--4" pots of CC's.
2--here is the way they were layered and packed inside
3--Each pot was wrapped in packing foam and the top of the soil was completely covered
4--AHH...All unpacked now. the only casualty? That one little segment broken off.
5--A couple months later (Jan.)--they are happily growing on my kitchen counter top.
under my task light. Still in the same pots...Waiting to see if they might bloom again.
Each one is a different color. I can't wait!!!!!! Gita

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
6:44 PM

Post #9424859

I have ordered from Rob's three times this winter... End of Nov. and twice in Jan. I did not opt for the express shipping because I refuse to pay $35 for shipping. I opted for the regular Priority Mail shipping, for which they do not guarantee the plants from November 1st to April 15th. I have had no problem with any of my orders. They pack incredibly well. Now that being said, our winter up through that time had been incredibly mild, and I would place my orders with the following week's weather in mind. I personally have a P.O. Box and I have been told by my postal people that packages sent by USPS Priority Mail never sit outside. For the past 2-3 weeks, we have had very cold temps, as have most of you, and I would not personally place an order from them at this time. If/when our temps get back onto the 50s day/30s night, I would not hesitate to place an order from them. The other nice thing about the VB, if you have ordered from them before, you can write a review about a plant you have ordered, and then write "FREEBIE" in the comments of your current order, and they will send you a free plant!!
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9424869

JB... I will be working on a photo tutorial of how I pot up my streps... possibly even tomorrow. It may take me a day or two to get it posted.

I appreciate all the nice compliments everyone has made about my streps. As I said before, I have had my own learning curve and have killed a few to get where I am now. These are not the kind of house plants you can neglect, but if you are willing to give them a little TLC and a few specific requirements, they are very rewarding! The blooms last for 2-3 weeks in the cooler weather. My DS-Polar Summer started with two blooms on Feb. 2nd, and it now has five blooms, with the original two blooms still going strong 17 days later!

I love my streps, and I can make converts of all of you! LOL!

Karen
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
8:12 PM

Post #9424940

Karen, USPS Priority Mail is routinely left outside at destination addresses here and in Vermont. Also, depending on weather flights can be delayed or rerouted to alternate 'hubs' Example, plants shipped from Fla to Md usual hub Atlanta...alternate hub Pittsburg then to BWI Baltimore. As far as I know, all freight shipped via air is shipped in the unheated holds of planes. lol even indorr gardeners need to be aware of and watch the weather!

I like your approach to ordering and shipping of plants JB and Karen. Seems wise to me.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9425300

Coleup, you are correct about the Priority mail being left outside. The other day a priority box was left in the mailbox by the road. The day before that a Priority Mail envelope was left on the porch in the rain and nearly blew away. That is why I am so fussy about not trusting the USPS even with priority. So much depends on your mail person, too. One of my mail men will bring it up the lane, get out of the truck and ring the door bell and hand the mail to me. When he knows the package has plants, he is especially caring and careful. On the other hand, the other one throws the pack of mail on the porch and drives off, not caring it if blows or what, just knowing it did not fit in the box by the road and he had to drive up the lane with it. He is such a jerk.

And, Express...forget that. You pay for it but that does not mean if you live on a farm that you get it delivered until they are good and ready. When I worked for the Horse Breeding Farm, we got checks delivered by Express and many times they brought it with the regular mail. No special deliveries anymore. LOL. Just food for thought here. It may be different in every State. Off to process orders and tell them I am not shipping until next week if it warms up. Later.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9425360

Since we are rural, I like when the timing is right for our daily mail carrier to bring express and priority mail with her. She usually brings them to the door, unless it's just an envelope, the express and priority drivers usually just throw them on top of the mail boxes by the road. They may slip it into a plastic bag if it's raining. Definitely not the service we pay for. I think Fedx and UPS ground is almost as quick and from what I've experienced, better cared for. Ric
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9425468

Have had probs shipping and receiving packs with UPS and FedX, too. Current best way for me to have best chances of timely receiving a package is to have it delivered to my local UPS store for pick up there. The FedX store is open 24 hours but haven't tried them lately. Like gardening, we find what works for us and keep doing it til it stops working or we find a better way.

This Easter being earlier than most (1st Sunday after the !st full moon after the Spring Equinox =date of Easter) is pushing growers/shippers and retailers weather wise so they can catch those Easter plant sales. Most big box store growers ship straight out of greenhouse conditions in unheated tractor trailers and trucks. Most stores are still loathe to deal with 'live goods' as their models are for hard goods with plants being a loss leader to bring in customers to buy high ticket or more durable goods.

JB I like that you acclimate your greenhouse plants to real world conditions before you ship them.

Kudos to all delivery people out there who serve their customers well, under- appreciated as we are!

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9425630

The Alsobia is blooming it has 4 blooms open and a few more buds that haven't opened yet.

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9425635

Holly,

Wow looks great!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9425642

Ric took cuttings on this so I should have some plants to share this spring. It is a really nice plant.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9425644

Great, I'll keep an eye for it.

I can't wait for the spring swap, I should have a bunch of rhodos for it!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9425704

Cool! Sorry I didn't get around to cuttings for goodie bags... good intentions and all that...

Believe it or not, I'm just now trying to finish up potting amaryllis bulbs! Poor things. When I have them squared away, I'll start sowing seeds and sticking cuttings. Looks like I may have to put a few amaryllis pots on the heat mat to encourage them to break dormancy, but most are starting up on their own. I did find one little bulb that tried its best to bloom upside down in the bottom of a pot. Oops.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9425829

Just got a notice from the Farm Bureau regarding a problem that began last year and seems to have plagued the flowering impatiens plant. It is called "downy mildew". It surfaced in NJ last year and has no known antidote. I am not sure if this is just a NJ problem or not. You may want to check with your growers or suppliers and see if they have a problem with their impatiens plants. This is a very challenging disease and the growers here in NJ know about it and I am sure the consumers will soon be aware of it. Have a good evening. Jb
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2013

Post #9425833

JB we have thread where we are discussing the problem. Come on over and check it out.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1298071/

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
8:13 PM

Post #9426177

Holly, nice plant. I've been more interested in houseplants this winter than ever before, especially anything that blooms. I'd love a cutting when the time comes. Paul, bring on the rhodies! Hopefully I'll have a variety of shade plants to share this year at the swap too...

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9426187

Terri - Devon's always ISO of shade plants - sure she'll be happy to hear what you have. One of my supervisors LOVES to talk plants (and dogs - how happy am I?!). Her yard is mostly shade though. So I'm happy to take any extras you might have of plants you've had good luck with in the shady areas.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
5:05 AM

Post #9426374

Yes, Chantell's right -- I'm even considering changing my DG name to Shady_Macomb! Or maybe Clay-ey_Macomb. Sigh.

And I'm all ears, especially this year, for shrubs that can handle a mostly shady area and no supplemental watering... We water the near part of our yard, but I want to put shrubs around the perimeter in the back, and I don't want to water there. (I know that baby rhodies and azaleas need a lot of water to succeed.)

Paul: What is your method for propagating the rhodies? The only one I've had success with for rhodies and other azaleas is to put a stone on a low-hanging branch and wait a year... Cutting just having worked for me. I know timing is everything with cuttings, but I've tried really hard in the past. What I haven't done is stick them in the ground (well-prepared) outside and turn a glass jar over them -- that is what I'll try next.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9426491

Devon: here is a link to the method I use

http://www.rhododendron.org/articles.htm (everything I have learned has been from here)
Beginners tips for rooting Rhodos: http://www.rhododendron.org/v48n4p201.htm

They have a ton of great articles.

I also don't think that is true. They just need a drink if going through a drought because they don't have the established root system as older Rhodos.

If any MAGers are interested in Rhodos I'm a member of the Mason-Dixon chapter that meets a little bit north of Westminster, MD. DM me if you want more information or you're interested in attending a meeting (I'll make sure I go to that one). Haha.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2013 10:24 AM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9426525

I will make sure that both of you get starters. Ric has several of them rooting in the GH and I am going to take a few more cuttings as the plant is hanging to the floor from the stand I have it on so I keep cutting off the new lower leaves.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9426546

Time for a new thread...go to

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1299412/

This message was edited Feb 21, 2013 10:21 AM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013

Post #9426563

Paul--

When you come here--I will give you a cutting to an Azalea that id really different.
It is called "Coromo Shukibu". Got a rooted cutting from someone at work in 2008.

it is not a big shrub yet---so I cannot take a bunch of cuttings off of it--so don't all of you ask...please...
I will see if the man that gave it to me can get me some more---Bummer! i just talked to him yesterday.
He no longer works at HD--but comes in now and then...as a customer.

Please remind me...G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9426664

Gita- I am familiar with that cultivar it is gorgeous. I would love that. Thank you. Well if you don't see him again perhaps we can root a cutting or two in the summer.

I have an azalea that has linear blooms like kiromo shikibu sp? It is Tinas whorled http://www.pbase.com/azaleasociety/image/36361150 and was a rhodo of the year for the mid-atlantic a few years ago. It is a juvenile too so I can't cut it yet. But in the future..I know Devon has expressed interest. It only grows to a mature height of 2x2 or 3x3, my memory fails me.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9426706

sallyg wrote:Time for a new thread...go to

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1299412/[/quote]

This message was edited Feb 21, 2013 12:17 PM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9426713

Judy,

That's ok. I just wanted to respond to Gita on this thread to finish the conversation. Thxs.

P

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9426806

Yeah you guys can feel free to trash this with azaleas from here on
:-)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9427148

Paul--
The blooms on the one you attached look the same--just a different color. My favorite garden color!
The one I have--the man that gave it to me, said that it likes to spill over a retaining wall.
So--it must be a bit trailing?
I can't say mine has grown a lot in the years I got it. it was NOT a cutting, like I said, but a well rooted small bush.

When would be the best time to take a cutting? Now? After blooming? How should azalea cuttings be rooted?

Thanks, Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9427349

UMD_Terp wrote:Devon: here is a link to the method I use

http://www.rhododendron.org/articles.htm (everything I have learned has been from here)
Beginners tips for rooting Rhodos: http://www.rhododendron.org/v48n4p201.htm

They have a ton of great articles.
This message was edited Feb 21, 2013 10:24 AM

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
6:38 AM

Post #9427646

Thanks, Paul. I pretty much followed that method, but I got a lot of mold. I'm not sure I kept the cutting at the right mix of temperature and light...
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9427669

Yeah no problem. Hmm. Ok.

Well here are some things that I have been told by the more senior people when doing it:

It's important to ring out as much water as you can from the mix.
You don't need that much hormone, dip it and flick it like a cigarette.
Rhodo cuttings (not azalea) should be lightly scored.
They need good indirect light, too much sun they fry not enough they mold.

Other than that. You and I can discuss it at the next event or DM me and I can try and trouble shoot it.

Azaleas are really easy, Rhodos even the club people have difficulty some years.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9428824

Pitcher Plant story, A couple of weeks ago I bought a very nice little pitcher plant for GS JR and posted a few pic of it here. To make a long story shorter. JR wanted to leave the plant at my house instead taking it home but after several visits from Jamie he just couldn't resist taking it home. So after a week the pitcher plant was gone. Boy I missed that plant, I was thinking about looking for another one for me. They had them at DPF when I was there after the Seed Swap but the price was way too much. So yesterday when I was working the local Garden Expo one of the Vendors had them both the small one I originally had and this larger more colorful one. Very smart Vendor had a sign up stating that they eat Stink Bugs. I saw people carrying them out all day long. LOL So here is my new Pitcher Plant.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9428836

haha way cool. I hope they do eat stinkbugs!! what an awesome selling point.
Funny how JR got you to buy one plant you didn't plan to buy,now you have 2.

If anybody gets tired of this long thread there is an attempt at continuation- LOL
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1299412/

Maybe the point is moot in this day of everybody having fast net speed.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America