Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Garden Projects #13

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just in time for 2013.Keep up the chatter.I have helebores just budding
We were here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286639/#new

Thumbnail by ge1836
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm hoping to get some brush cutting done tomorrow. Going to be in low 50s, but since the sun won't be out, it won't feel all that warm, I'm thinking. There's supposed to be dense fog in the morning. Might make for some good pictures. I'm going to Plymouth tomorrow to run some errands, including going to HD to get some new lopping shears and pruning saws. My nephew is going to help out.

Looks like it was more like about 6 years ago that I went to Lexington Gardens. How time flies!

Karen

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Sounds like a nice way to be with your nephew and get some pruning done too, Karen.

It was nice enough today to walk around and survey the garden and dream about all the projects. At least there are definite areas that are each different.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

still snow here

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Snow is completely gone but garden is wet. I want to check the witchazel for any sign of buds. Deer ate the buds on my Rhodie and broke branches off the Correlineum. I have never seen so much damage.
I took down the big cracked corn feeder.They snacked on the flowering shrubs getting to the feeder and emptied 5 pounds in 2 days.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

sorry about the deer damage - they do seem to like witch hazel buds so hope they have not got to them there - need to check mine here too.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I checked and they nipped off all the new branches that would have produced flowers.There looks like only 2 blooms on the whole 3 year old bush.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, so sorry to hear about all that deer damage, Jo. I hate it when they come through here and get my daylily buds. Had it happen only once, and I pray every year that it doesn't happen again. I wanted to cry when it happened.

Guess I won't be doing any brush cutting today after all. I decided I need to wait till I can get some Green Light cut vine and stump killer first, and it has to be ordered. I used to be able to get it at Walmart or HD and Lowe's, but none of them carry it anymore. It's the best product I've ever found to kill the plants after cutting them. It has to be applied when they're freshly cut, and it kills the entire root. If I don't do that, everything will just grow right back, as it always does. I will got and get the lopping shears and pruning saws today, though, and will order that GL product. I will also get out there and take inventory on my daylilies so I can begin listing them for sale. Need to make some money for gardening projects.

Karen

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I cant stay put inside. Its just too nice out and the wind means the fromnt is coming that will return us to January weather again.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

So maddening, Jo.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, I'm itching to get some brush cut while the weather is nice. I can still do it when it's cold, though, just won't be as comfortable to work outside. I did make it to HD today and bought 2 new lopping shears, one with extendable handles, a 13" pruning saw with nice big teeth, gardening scissors and some small pruners, the kind you would use to cut roses for putting in a vase or cutting bloom stems off of orchids, etc. Spent nearly $100 on those few things. I need to buy more shovels this year, and some nice rakes, too. I have a lot of plans for this year, so I want to sell some daylilies to pay for all the new stuff I want to get.

Karen

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That sounds like enterprise to me Karen.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pulled a few weeds yesterday

Buds on Hellebores and can't wait to smell the Daphne!

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen

Found that I have snowdrops in bloom too!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Victor, see life is fair. Just saw H. Wisley Supreme is in bloom. flowAjen, nice buds. Love Daphne. I must add another this spring to a place where I will see and smell it better. Patti

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I must check mt W.Supreme then.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Some kids out today. Patti

Hamamelis mollis Wisley Supreme

Exochorda 'Niagara' Snow Day™ Surprise
Helleborus foetidus Wester Flisk

Thumbnail by bbrookrd Thumbnail by bbrookrd Thumbnail by bbrookrd Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Okay, now you're pushing it!! ^_^

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

wow cool

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

where do you live patti!? still snow here

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

mine is gone today Bill

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Wha, I live in zone 7 and there isn't any snow anywhere here. Must be all my hot air that keeps the Island Paradise a tad warmer than you. Patti

Thank the gulf stream - that's the reason.

Thomaston, CT

Wow....great to see the flowers! My heather is starting to bloom, & I found a bud on a dianthus....probably was just opening when the snow hit.....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Yes, of course, but I like to take some credit as when I moved here in the 60's it was a whole lot colder. It still is, despite the zone, always seemingly colder feeling with the dampness from the ocean than it feels when in a place that has a dry cold. It is way cooler here in summer and fall than the mainland while warmer in the winter, but we have almost no spring except in our yard where I have planted enough bulbs for the whole Island. Patti

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Why don't I have heather ? Oh, killed the ones I had years ago and never tried again. So Pretty. Patti

Thomaston, CT

Thanks....I have 3 in that garden...try them again, I don't think deer like them.....

You are prob too wet for heathers, Patti.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm not too far from Bill's area, but apparently far enough for the snow to melt. It was almost gone on the weekend, and then today with 60 degrees out, not a trace of it.

My next garden project is to get more trees to replace the aging mulberrys in the back yard. They're clearly on their last breath this year. There's a natural looking patch there with primarily new viburnums and witch hazels,snowberry, and aronia and such. Flowering cherry is started nearby. The rhodi and holly area is higher up on the hill under white pines. The puzzle is what would feed the birds, provide a light overstory for the shrubs, with an open habit, but tolerate shade from the white pine and ash trees. I am considering stewartia and some vase shaped JMs for autumn and winter interest, but not much bird or animal food with that idea. The cornus mas, dogwoods and relatives are already planted elsewhere, and a little too small--the 20 foot tall mulberrys supported swings and hammocks. I think a scarlet oak sapling will go a little nearer the house, but too big for here. Maybe a pair of filberts? A magnolia sieboldii since they handle shade? Too exposed for persimmons. It's a spot that guests gravitate toward because it currently says "natural."

Bill seems to be in a cold microclimate.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Wha is in the area of Mass that is known as the Snow Belt. Patti

I would think Bill would have enough stone to absorb the sun's heat and thwart old man winter's worst. Guess he's just not up to it...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

L O L Victor.You have a good point.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Victor, you better watch out for rocks being lobbed your way. Wha has built up some good upper body strength from all his wall building and probably could toss them to the Hudson.

It is a damp morning snd in the low 40's. I hate this type of day most. I would rather in be cold a sunny then damp and blah. Patti

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

still all snow cover here although the yard across the street is green - they get more sun i guess - where there are rocks you can see the tops - snow depth is maybe only 4 or 5".

rosemary that sounds like a nice little project - although it will take some time to replace 20' trees and if you really want a hammock jm's would not be the choice. i've seen nice hammock set ups using 6x6 pressure treated wood posts (or larger) in the ground. Dogwood was my first thought although you have them already it sounds. There are always crab apples. my one crab is living on borrowed time as a nice large jm would look nice there, although the birds and squirrels really enjoy the fruit this time of year.

Thomaston, CT

I was thinking crabapple as well, Rosemary....squirrels would get your filberts, they got mine.....If you think Bill's in the snowbelt, my Foxoboro friends used to live in Williamstown, MA....snow up the wahzoo......we used to cross country ski on Greylock with them.....

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

RosemaryK, We have been very pleased with a planting in partial shad under pitch pines of Betula nigra 'Little King' FOX VALLEY . It is small tree between Japanese red maple and bench. Nice in winter. It throws up lots of low growth which we have pruned off to keep it open. Not sure if it has any merit for birds or suitable for a hammock. Patti

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/plant-finder/plant-details/kc/j520/betula-nigra-little-king-fox-valley.aspx

http://statebystategardening.com/state.php/ky/blog_03/oustanding_bark_for_winter_interest/

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Thomaston, CT

That's a pretty spot, Patti.....on the farm where my son lives, they have a clump of river birches with purple leaves...very nice.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

lovely patti

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow thanks for the ideas, everyone! If I do feed the squirrels nuts, then perhaps I'm also feeding the hawks and skyfishers, so I wouldn't mind too much. Lots of ideas and lots more trees to replace gradually. Having gotten rid of a ton of Norway maples it is a bit of a fresh slate.

Sad to lose so many trees but the mulberrys were in their prime 20 years ago when we bought and they have a short life. Lots of memories with the hammocks too. Imagine the "twin" language preschoolers used. Their nursery school teachers were alarmed, but I knew better, and i was always amused by how they made up silly words to say things like "let's all go and hang on the hammock upside down." It is a sweet memory also that they were very skilled at climbing all the trees, so that is why the 60 foot tall ash trees have had their lower branches trimmed---they they were a handfull.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.