Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: Seed Starting...Epic FAIL!

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 40, Views: 358
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9382627

So with great excitement, I started my seeds in the roaster oven. Dummy me didn't think about there NOT being enough air circulation, so all my seed cups now have lovely MOLD on them! Is there any way to save them, or is it best to just start over? This time I'll either leave the lid off or at least cracked AND have a small fan blowing to prevent this.

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

January 12, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9382678

Oh, Stephanie, I'm so sorry this happened. Can't wait to see it work, and I think it will.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9382683

Well, the mold was rampant so I tossed them all. I'm going to redo, but this time, I'm going to elevate the lid and have a small fan blowing to create air circulation.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9382936

What kind of starting medium are you using? How long were they in there? That mold grew fast!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9383038

I get that same mold in new mixes containing high amounts of sphagnum moss, That is why I like the older mix with a higher nitrogen additive like the manure.
I cook or clean boil older re-composted mixes , only way I have ever kept that from happening,
Once or twice it had taken stronger light..
And yes that stuff grows fast ... fast and faster still...

This message was edited Jan 12, 2013 7:56 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9383043

Does the set look vaguely familiar ?

Thumbnail by juhur7
Click the image for an enlarged view.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9383126

I'm using a compost based planting medium. I'm sure it was caused by the lack of air circulation and warm, closed atmosphere. I'm re-starting seeds tomorrow.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9383168

First time I ever had that happen was in an enclosed aquarium with a top ,,,so I think your right...

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9383760

I prefer coconut coir to peat-based mixes. Even with coir, I sprinkle a very thin layer of vermiculite across the top of my pots to prevent damping off and mold.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9383772

Steph,
Did you get my reply?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9383774

Linda, I did. I just read it. Not formulated a reply yet.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
1:40 PM

Post #9383850

Just checking cause I was having major cell phone issues yesterday.

Not a problem.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9384001

This is what I did. I emptied the cups yesterday, soaked them in Clorox water and then rinsed them out. Using pretty much the same soil mixture, I refilled the cups and replanted. This time, I lifted the lid on the roaster oven and we have the ceiling fan running in that room. I also have a small fan sitting on the table that I can use. I'm thinking of raising the lid even more. I did forget to sprinkle cinnamon on the top!! Arg! Gotta do that. I'm also going to use a spray bottle to "water" the tops tomorrow, if needed.

I also got my husband to set up the light system. We're thinking of putting up a shower curtain liner around it to make like a greenhouse. We have one shelf set up. My husband needs to get the other light fixture out of the garage and bring inside, then we need to run to Home Depot and get the light hangers for it. Then, we'll be able to have two sets of lights and do more seedlings. I still have tomatillos, peppers, and herbs to get started. He's still on the quest to start some seeds using seed blocks. We have a space heater that we put on the bottom, then we put slats on the cross pieces so the heat can permeate them.

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9384006

still ... maybe ... the heating mat idea was not so bad ... are you sure?
I am really enjoying your adventure

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9384014

I don't have a heat mat and don't want to spend the money to make one. Just call me the cheap gardener!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2013
5:15 PM

Post #9384022

I started seeds for years without a heat mat. It was only when I began starting more peppers and eggplant and more seeds in general that I invested in a heat mat.

Good Luck Stephanie, like anything else it's going to take a few tweaks to get it right.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

January 13, 2013
10:27 PM

Post #9384158

The wind chill tonight is minus 23. It's been so cold I've been holding off trying to start seeds for Spring. I've got all those seeds and have the urge to plant something. It's all I can do to restrain myself. I'm planning a hydroponics system soon, so hopefully will start plants in Oasis or some similar medium for transplant into the Dutch buckets. Seems like everything takes so long to get started, but that's just me rarin' to go. First I have to have a cat-proof area then supplies, then...it goes on and on.

Stephanie, it looks like you are collecting old computers like I do, lol. Nice setup with the lights.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9384498

Steph!

I just looked at your roaster set-up, and BINGO! The light bulb went on!!!

Is that a ceramic vessel sitting in the roaster? Like a removable crock pot? If so, you've given me the idea to start some bell pepper seeds directly down in an old crock I have, just like I suggested to you in the dmail.

I'll line the crock (or not, since I don't use it anymore), fill it with the potting soil, and sprinkle the seeds right on top. I'll leave it on the lowest setting. Not gonna use the lid at all, because I want the heat to collect under the potting mix, not in the ambient air, just yet.

Can't wait to try this!

One picture sure clears up a thousand foggy minds!

Hugs!

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 10:46 AM

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2013
5:17 PM

Post #9385135

Linda, the roaster has a liner, but since Mark thinks we're going to use the roaster for cooking again (not in my plan!), I'm not going to put the dirt directly into the roaster.

Solace, those are NOT my computers! LOL Those belong to my husband and I'm trying to get him to sell most of those towers as scrap metal. I might start a side business making cat beds out of them, though! LOL
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2013
7:01 PM

Post #9385256

That would be way too much dirt! Maybe an aluminum pan in it...?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9385381

I'd only put about the same depth of soil as in a 4" nursery pot. Glad I have an old, unused crock pot!

I scored a glass Cuisinart blender jar from FreeCycle to blend up veggie peel slushies for my red wriggler bin. And, I have anthe dedicated microwave for sterilizing recycled Potting mix.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2013
12:05 PM

Post #9388288

SUCCESS!!

I replanted on Sunday, 1/13 and have sprouts today!! I also lowered the lid by about 2/3 and that seems to be helping, but the cups are also drying out because of the heat in the oven. I've adjusted the temp down a bit and am watering with warm water 3x a day if needed. I have a soil moisture tester I've been using. Sometimes they only need it twice a day. I also have the ceiling fan in that room going to help with air circulation.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
12:46 PM

Post #9388333

CONGRATULATIONS!

Question: How come you didn't fill the cups all the way?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2013
12:48 PM

Post #9388336

I dunno. Just didn't! LOL

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9388340

Filling the cups might've kept the soil from drying out so quickly. But, no matter, since part one is COMPLETED!

Good job!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2013
12:54 PM

Post #9388344

Mine go the other way
If I fill them full to quickly.
I get stem and root rot problems. I also get stringy plants
Yes I know, I still tend to over water...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9388396

I'm thinking I'll add a bit of dirt once they get a bit bigger and I thin out the seedlings. That will promote root growth, too. We'll be moving them to the lights tomorrow or the next day.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9388451

Congratulations, Stephanie.

When your seedlings get a little taller, you might want to turn them out from one hand to the other, and put soil down in the cups and replace the seedlings. This will encourage a larger root system.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9388668

I may have missed what seeds you started but if they are tomatoes, you can simply add dirt as they grow and roots will continue to form on the stem of the plant.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9389279

They are tomatoes. I had planned on just adding the dirt as they grew.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2013
11:35 AM

Post #9389282

Same with me ,I just add the dirt slowly as they grow ..
Like before because of my tendency to over water with starter plants adding the earth slowly prevents stem rot and fungus that might take down my new little friends..

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9389591

The little tykes moved to the lights this evening. Some have barely stuck their sprouts out, but I moved them anyway.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2013
5:12 PM

Post #9389646

Here is a couple planted about the time you started... As you can tell I might have multiple problems , I can handle that!!

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7      

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2013
5:19 PM

Post #9389657

More to plant or share!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9389686

I sure hope so !,, Last year of those three together I ended up with one plant whose tomatoes were ate so fast I had only a few of myself , One thing that more is better!!!

So yours are in the project room? , the mold problems are solved, is the next stop blooms? larger pots? or perhaps straight to the garden?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9389970

stephanietx
congrats on the sprouting.
How much is the temperature difference from your roaster oven to the shelf you just put your seedling?
I am just asking and wondering if the poor baby seedling is going in a shock when you moved from the roaster to the light, and if that would influenced its growth and production.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9390014

I did move the roaster to one of our spare bedrooms with a ceiling fan. I also elevated the lid on the roaster with some scrap wood pieces my husband had laying around (literally!). I have seen no more mold whatsoever, but I've been watching these babies like a hawk! I do turn the ceiling fan off at night. There is a heater under the shelf to help the ones under lights. We haven't put up the plastic yet, but I had to get these babies out of the roaster and with some light so they'd not stagnate. We are going to use an old shower curtain liner (clear) or two and hang from the top of the shelving unit so they have a greenhouse like environment. The lights also generate a bit of heat, not much, but some which also helps. The hubby spread the cups out last night into 2 tins so that they'd get maximum benefit of the light. We have a total of 3 lights, but are only using 1 at the moment. I have about 6 more cups that should be ready to move to the lights either today or tomorrow.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9390382

What are you going to do about air circulation, once you put the shower curtains up?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9390480

There is a ceiling fan. The top will also be open.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9390784

I've run my ceiling fan since the seedlings went under the lights. My "warm" room needs the additional air circulation.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2013
9:36 PM

Post #9390856

Sounds good!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America