Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The International Year of Quinoa: 4 to 6 feet high

Communities > Forums > Article: The International Year of Quinoa
bookmark
Forum: Article: The International Year of QuinoaReplies: 11, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 12, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9382722

I did not know it grew that tall.
This is something I might plan to try to grow here in Kentucky.
Questions:
1) Does anyone know if it will grow during the hot summer nights if there are some cool nights at the beginning or end of the growing season?

2) The instructions for growth says it likes cool nights -and we would get cool nights in the fall. Would that be enough?

3.) The instructions also say that it likes cool to sprout and to put it in the refrig before putting it in the ground to sprout. So, maybe it should be planted in really early spring - like potatoes? That is the middle of March - when there is still danger of frost?

4.) Would frost on them when they are young - hurt them? Then perhaps I could cover with a tobbaco bed cover?

5.) Has anyone grown this in the Ohio Valley, and if so how did it do?

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9382754

Hopefully, someone from your zone will chime in with some growing tips. The photo of quinoa in the article was grown in CA. Obviously, U.S. climate is not like South America where Quinoa thrives. But it sounds like it can be grown for fun here. Were you thinking of growing it to harvest for consumption or as an ornamental? Quinoa, likes cool soil for germination like you said, 45-50 F, but can tolerate light frost 30-32 temps.

Here is a link with more quinoa growing info that may be helpful:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/quinoa.html
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 12, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9382882

Thank you Wind;

I hope someone does chime in. I wanted it to eat, since it lower in carbs and makes a good flour which by the way cost 15.00 dollars for a small bag which is - five dollars higher than almond flour.

I was reading on the harvesting - I don't think I have the strength.
Your gentle suggestion that I just raise it for fun - is a good one. Start small see how it does and if the Lord is willing there will be another growing season.

wrskvill
Kendallville, IN

January 14, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9384504

One note, it looks a lot like lambsquarters so don't pull them by accident. I grew a little 2 years ago, but didn't try harvesting.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9389794

I grew quinoa last season. It fell over once it got above 5 feet tall. I tried a few of the seeds raw off the plant. They were bitter, so I just let it drop the seeds in the fall. i will be interested to see if it sprouts.

I absolutely love quinoa. I hope to have success growing it, as it is a tad expensive (compared to rice). Hope to get a crop this season.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 19, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9389995

huckleberry6:
I will be your huckleberry!

Sorry could not resist!

You let it go because you did not know it had the soap on it, and it had to be washed really good?

That would have been me too untill I read this article.

AND why did it fall over. Is that its natural habit after reaching a certian height or is it like corn that some times gets blown over by a summer storm?
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2013
8:02 PM

Post #9397792

You stole that line from my sister! I'll be your huckleberry too! =^..^=

I don't know why the quinoa fell over. It happened while I was away. I have two young cats, both of whom like to hide amongst the cool plants. I suspect the seed heads became too heavy. Perhaps a wind came up in the heat of the day and it was all too much.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 26, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9398411

Corn does that too - when it is mostly full grown and we get a summer storm.
Bad timing can do that.

Lambsquarters -- Hmmp Yeah I would pull them up

Thanks for the heads up on the falling over.
irret
Pueblo, CO

February 18, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9423022

We should really not eat any quinoa grown in South America. The popularity has caused prices to go so high that the people for whom this is a staple, cannot afford to buy it. Growing your own quinoa is a great idea!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

February 19, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9424784

irret;
Is that how it works. Something becomes popular and Americans buy it and the people we buy it off of cannot afford it?

Actually - I cannot afford it.

I am going to grow some this year and see.
But I do not have much hopes that it will be all that producing and all; since it requires very warm days and very cool nights.

Not something that happens here in Kentucky.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2013 8:43 PM
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2013
9:03 PM

Post #9644399

An update; none of the quinoa sprouted from the seeds I let fall in place. Perhaps the chickens ate it all, or it rotted in our wet winters.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

August 29, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9644655

Huckleberry: I am sorry for your failure and loss.

I have had a few this year myself.

I think obtaining fresh seeds - not too old is the problem too..
If you buy them out of the store - the kind you eat - they are mishandled - after all we are going to eat them -- they are not handleing them like a living thing.

----and if you buy them from the seed company ---

well

I am having the same problem with about all the seeds I am buying. The only ones that pop up like they should are the ones I save myself over from last year.

If you notice they use to have a summer end sale on seeds, and now they just pack them up - they say to send back to the seed company - which will probably repackage them-- throw some freshers seeds in them and then tack on that 99% germination rate without a bit of embarressment. .

It looks like to me - that buckwheat belongs to this family, probably not as much protein but cheaper to buy that quinoa . I use it a lot in my low carb/gluten free cooking.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The International Year of Quinoa Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Grow from grocery store CLScott 4 Jan 12, 2013 5:14 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America