Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: bad smalling soil in...

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dun1kirk
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9383025

I planted all of my tomatoes and some other veggies in the large buckets with an inverted colander and drain tube. I'm finally getting around to cleaning up my veggie garden & cleaning up my buckets. The soil inside, which I replace every year but incorporate old into planted beds, smells rather "sour". Is this soil still good to till into my beds?
I was also thinking that perhaps some charcoal in the bottom might sweeten the smell. What do you all think?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9383087

Hmmm, sour isnt good, needed better drainage i would bet- and my compost always smells sour-but gets washed by the rain we get. activted charcoal- not sure. Have you read thrru any of these old threads and seen that tried?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9383768

Two words come to mind... Aerobic Anaerobic

I can never remember which is which, but one of them makes seeds grow and the other does not. When soil smells "sour" it's the word that won't let seeds grow. I tried and experiment once; sowing seeds into sour soil. None of the seeds sprouted.

Your mileage may vary :)
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9384043

Aero means air. An as a prefix means not.
So you have aerobic air loving and
Anaerobic not air loving.

I believe than once you dump it out it will get air and sweet up.
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

January 25, 2013
11:04 PM

Post #9397842

Start over with new soil in your buckets, I would let the old like in the open a year, then throw it in the compost pile. Too much water, no air, too much or not enough fertilizer, dirt compacting and rotting roots all come to mind

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9398111

First off, NEVER, EVER put soil in an eBucket. It will eventually compact hard as concrete. Only use Potting Mix, or Tapla's 5-1-1 container mix in your eBuckets.

I grew veggies in eBuckets from 2006-2011, and only used Miracle Grow Potting Mix. In 2010-2011 I built the colander eBuckets and had to fill almost 60 with MG, which was cost prohibitive. So i used a modified version of Tapla's 5-1-1 container mix. Saved me a boatload of $$$.

Potting soil in a container will compress. The 5-1-1 mix allows for great oxygenation and excellent drainage. I modified my version to either 3-2-1 or 4-2-1, depending on the wicking i needed for certain veggies.

My first thought was that your colander collapsed under the wet soil weight, and the soil was constantly sitting in your reservoir with no air exchange. Anaerobic=smelly.

I had that happen to an eBucket of bell peppers. Collapsed colander , which is why I place them upside down on the floor, kneel down, and lean my weight on every colander before i buy it. If it doesn't collapse under my weight, good chance it'll not collapse under wet Potting soil AND an 8', loaded tomato plant!

Linda

This message was edited Jan 26, 2013 1:16 PM

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9400580

By the way, the nasty smell is caused by fermentation. When the soil doesn't get enough air (oxygen), some microbes shift from "respiration" to "fermentation". Others die or become spores, if they don't know how to ferment. Also, undesirable microbes multiply in the anaerobic (airless) soil.

With respiration, they consume oxygen and organic stuff, then release carbon dioxide. No smell. An y nitrogen or sulfur, they consume and use internally.

Without oxygen, they can't break down the organic stuff all the way. They can only ferment it part way and release the fermentation products. Mainly alcohols and organic acids like acetic and formic acids. Maybe even some aldehydes and ketones, which really stink! My guess is that they release nitrogen and sulfur in even less palatable forms.

Stinky!

This is also why you don't want to use WET pine bark fines or mulch if they smell gunky. There was fermentation inside that plastic bag, and fermentation products built along with organic acids. You have tol flush it and/or air it out, and maybe even lime it a little to neutralize the acid.

BTW, technically, to a microbiologist, "anaerobic" means "no oxygen" or barely any. Most soils can't get that bad unless they're buried under feet of clay or totally water-logged soil. Mostly when we create the conditions that gardeners call "anaerobic", a microbiologist would probably call them "hypoxic" c onditionslike the medical term "hypoxia".

Usually our plants roots in hypoxic soil are just gasping and choking and slowly turning blue. Not dropping dead straightaway as they would in totally anaerobic conditions.

I like the word "hypoxic" because it sounds like "toxic" and is easier to spell than "anaerobic".

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America