Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Roses: Climbing roses zone 5 (Crete, Nebraska)

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 12, Views: 103
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TeresaLombard
Crete, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9383203

Hi! This is my first post on the forum so apologies in advance if there is already info somewhere on this topic! I am trying to pick a climbing rose and being in Nebraska will naturally limit my choices. Basically, I've got the backside of a metal garage that faces southeast - and I am thinking of putting a trellis there to grow a rose or 2 or 3 on it (and perhaps interplant with clematis). Now, I am a pretty lazy gardener, and I like wildlife, and I don't like chemicals ... so naturally I want dead hardy, grown on its own roots, disease resistant ... and really pretty hips would be a plus as well. (I know ... not asking for much). Since this will be mostly to hide that ugly garage, I don't think fragrance is quite as important as color. I don't really care for red, but just about any other color would be great. My thought is that finding a suitable rose will be much more difficult than a clematis ... so I figure I'll pick the rose first and then consider clematis (but if you have any combos to suggest please do!). Suggestions for roses I should consider? I am completely open to single-petal varieties and bicolors - and possibly even a shrub rose if it would get to be in the 6 to 8 foot tall range ... but I'd rather something that will actually try to cover a trellis to 14 foot.

If people think I'm asking for trouble trying to do a climbing rose with that orientation and against that garage ... then I can figure something else out for the trellis (like honeysuckle or akebia) and will just take suggestions for roses to plant in a more suitable spot. Just to make it more interesting ... there is filtered shade mostly in the morning from nearby ponderosa pines.

If anyone has tried any other deciduous vines interplanted with roses (akebia or honeysuckle or kiwi) I'd like to hear how that went. I'm guessing they would all be too vigorous, but hey - I like the idea of trying something new. Thanks in advance for suggestions!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 12, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9383219

Welcome to the rose forum! Your project sounds entirely possible to me, but I can't help; I have no experience with cold areas. There is, however, bound to be a rose that will thrive protected by your garage wall.
TeresaLombard
Crete, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9383229

Thank you for the welcome! Texas ... mmmmm - sounds nice. It's about 20 degrees here and I hate cold. Whimper and whine. Guess that's why I'm busy thinking of better times when I can plant some beauties.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9384835

Teresa, Another welcome from Texas. I used to garden in the Chicago area and had good luck with several climbers including New Dawn and Abraham D'Arby. But there was a thread on this forum a while back and the photos are spectacular! I thought you migh enjoy looking through it and since many of the posters are from zone 5 you might get some ideas.

I've never linked to a thread before, so here goes: Post #5957165

Good luck and let us know what you decide to plant!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 14, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9384966

Here's the whole link to the thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/939082/#post_5957165
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 14, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9385099

Wow, what a good thread for climbing roses everywhere! But where did everybody go? The old thread reminds me how active the forum used to be.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 14, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9385247

it seems like getting some new Uber members might help! I run forums like this for a living, though, and so I'm biased.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 14, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9385263

Wow, maybe you can spark us up a bit!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 14, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9385287

(blushing) Sweet of you to say, Porkpal, though I hate to be OVER-enthusiastic. There's so much great knowhow here, though!

I've told all my friends about it, but like many, I'm sure my friends are tired of listening to me natter on about garden stuff. That's why we have this place, right?

I recently became a member, and the DG'ers here took good care of me when I lost my garden (and house!) during Isaac, so I've got a lot of love for this community already. I don't know who in charge still drops in on forums, but I've always got ideas, if they're listening.

In the meantime, I'm just so darn grateful I can find my way through the old posts. It's a treasure trove of knowhow. Y'all rock.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2013
11:48 AM

Post #9386045

Maybe things will pick up in spring. I haven't got all of my rose files move over from my old (and dying) laptop to my new desktop. But I do feel an alphabe/rose parade coming on...☺

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9386052

I love a parade!
TeresaLombard
Crete, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9388770

Thank you so much! Sorry it took me so long to get back on the thread. That post link was very helpful. I love the look of the Westmoreland climbing rose and except that it is 'only' zone 5 I think it sounds exactly like I would like. Can you more experienced rose growers tell me - is I'm southeast facing, sheltered to the northwest by the garage, and 'some' shade - will that make it slightly more sheltered/temperate (more like zone 6) than zone 5? It seems to me that it should be so? Will put it high on my list.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9392860

Hello,

I read your thread several times and I am close to your zone, but the climbing roses I grow are either red (Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Quadra and Dublin Bay), not dense enought for your situation (Zephirine Drouhin and High Hopes) or too large (Constance Spry). I was on that thread to which you were directed..

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America