Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tomatoes: Choosing Heirlooms

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 12, Views: 198
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2013
10:22 PM

Post #9383325

A several years back, I bought an heirloom tomato plant from a nursery that was labled "Black Russian". Just LOVED it! It had a high yield, and large tomatoes. I was just looking to buy some seeds, and found that perhaps they had mislabeled the plant? The only "Black Russians" I can find on the internet have 4 oz fruit. Mine were 12 to 16 oz. I did some research and the closest that I can find to what I had, is the Black Tula. Wondering...!

Also, I saved some seed from my Anna Russians from last year - LOVED them - hoping they germinate! Hope to find some more Abe Lincolns, as well - those were very nice as well!

BTW - the Black Russians can really freak people out, lol, that are used to only store bought tomatoes... they don't get the "color". I have to really try to get them to try "just a bite"... then they are hooked.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9383992

Karrie,

If you go to the site, Tatiana's Tomato Base, she describes the Black Russian and lists vendors who carry seeds in 2013. It does not sound like a large tomato but you may recognize it from the photos posted. http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Black_Russian

She also lists a Russian Black which is supposedly similar so you can compare the two:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Russian_Black

I have not planted my Black Russian seeds which I got in an exchange so have no idea if they will be true to the Black Russian described at this site!

Hope this helps.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2013
3:58 AM

Post #9384228

neither of those are what I was looking for. I think it's the Tula, and mis-labeled by the nursery, as I suspected.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9384912

Have you looked up Black Krim? That's another popular Black Tomato that fits you description.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9385022

That could be too!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9385217

Well, either way I highly suggest you grow Black Krim. They are fantastic.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2013
8:42 PM

Post #9385432

There was also until last year a group that only sold Heirloom Russian tomatoes, their web site is down and not obtainable , only a possibility...
Lots of good things disappearing lately from the web...
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

January 14, 2013
11:49 PM

Post #9385496

The best place to search for Russian varieties, not all heirlooms b'c they're cranking out new ones all the time in the CIS, is at Tania's site. She and her husband and two sons immigrated from Russia maybe 10 years ago, she still has relatives in Russia and participates on message sites in RUssia.

This past year I was sent a variety called Pink Flamingo and it was supposed to be a pink heart, Short story, but there were 3 vendors in Russia selling it, the pix on the seed packs were the same and the seeds in each were all different. Tania helped out wonderfully in locating those 3 vendors and when Shoe, who was doing the seed production for me sent up a picture we were able to ID it with one of the 3 vendors. Same with the variety Pood.

There are way over 200 so called black varieties known so it isn't easy to ID them unless the seeds/plants you buy have the right name attached.

So for Russian varieties, Tania is the place to go and look and as you know she also sells seeds for about 400 varieties and has separate pages for lotsof them.

I thought the fad for blacks was over, but I guess not. My friend Craig and I predicted that the next fad to come would be the green when ripes and that has certainly occurred, With a few exceotions I LOVE the GWripes,

Hope that helps.And I know many of you have Tania's website address, I've postged it here for several years, which you can also get by Googling, just enter Tatiana's T-base at Google.

Carolyn

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9386534

This a large dark purple , just wondering

TOMATO, SIBERIAN - Gregori's Altai*

Keeping in mind the more sun they get the darker they often are.

Want to see something yummy
www.landrethseeds.com/photos/Tomato/index.html

This message was edited Jan 15, 2013 9:57 PM

This message was edited Jan 15, 2013 10:01 PM
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

January 15, 2013
7:55 PM

Post #9386649

Gregi's Altai is not a dark colored variety as the above post implies. (smile)

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Gregori%27s_Altai

And I've grown it. along with all the other ones that Bill McDorman brought back from Siberia. I see my good friend Craig, with whom I split seeds with thought this one was the best of the lot, but that wasn't my conclusion.

I wish I coud suggest Landreth seeds as a seed source, but I can't. Sure the pictures are pretty but they don't sell seeds for all those varieties.

If you feally want to loo k at LOTS of tomato pictures, go to:

http://www.reinhard-kraft.de/

and click on the Photo Gallery at the top of the page. You can also click on his yearly growouts and you'll see my name quite a bit since Reinhard and I have been good friends for almost 20 years now and exchange seeds each year.

Carolyn
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
8:02 PM

Post #9386652

WOW! Thanks, Carolyn- I will be browsing here for days!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2013
8:07 PM

Post #9386656

Yes second that ^_^
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9392878

Thank you ALL for your suggestions! I've been procrastinating and need to get my orders in!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America