Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Another mystery

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 10, Views: 128
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL
(Zone 11)

January 13, 2013
6:30 AM

Post #9383456

I can't get this one to bloom for love of the color green.
Which might be good that I like the color GREEN, since it looks like that's all I am going to get out of this vine?
Gotta an idea? So I can try and do a bit of research to see what I am doing wrong exactly?
Grows like a weed and it might just be?? Lets see what you all have to say :^)

Thumbnail by FlaFlower   Thumbnail by FlaFlower   Thumbnail by FlaFlower   Thumbnail by FlaFlower
Click an image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9383524

so this is a wild plant you found?
FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL
(Zone 11)

January 13, 2013
8:25 AM

Post #9383558

No " I " got it in a trade...but the person admits they also don't have a clue what it actually is...
I have been waiting about a year for it to bloom, mean while been chasing the runners all over the place.
Not in ground runners but new shoot runners above ground, apparently has plenty of nitrogen, I've never fed it and it grows like mad, keeping up with it is like a full-time job training it to cover the portion of fence I alocated to it. A little rain and a little heat and it almost scares me how fast it takes off!
I think it is the first picture, where if you look past the fence and past the vine I took pics of, you can see my neighbors wonderful crop of lush weeds.
My hope is that I can get enough vines on the fence thick enough to help stop some of those weed seeds fom coming threw the fence and continuing to try and do a hostile take over of my yard, which at this point has almost happened, I pull weeds every day but with the guy behind me with 2 acres of weeds blooming constantly I think I need to get a flame thrower to catch up.
So when I accepted a trade for a vigorous vine of unknown origin (I am a vine horder) I figured once it bloomed I would at least have a clue...this one escapes me completely...hoping some one can ID it for me, who has seen it before or who aslo has it...still waiting
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 13, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9383586

At first I thought it might be Cissus antartica, but the glossy leaves don't match and yours doesn't appear to have tendrils.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9383591

Not a weed if it is loved!! I think it is beautiful ! It is a great screening plany especially since it grows so fast. I would papmer it and let it thrive!

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

January 13, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9383594

Try Mexican Flame Vine, Orange Glow Vine (Senecio confusus)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1329/
Scott
FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL
(Zone 11)

January 13, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9383727

Scott (olddude)
Could very well be mexican flame vine, I looked threw the pics but not many have a really good pic of the leaves, one has flowers of something orange red but leaves of an air potato mixed in it...LOL I hope it is, appears to be a real wildlife attractor for my area...if it ever blooms that is, I hope once it gets the hang of blooming it will be happy to continue to do so...a bright orange would be a great addition to the color scheme.

Jasperdale, Your right! No it doesn't have tendrils, it is a twiner, I should have mentioned that
Joparrott...weed as in an invasive I think I was trying to get across, I like it well enough, I'll like it more to bloom...LOL I'm gonna keep it even if it doesn't because I think it's gonna be a thick weed screen regardless, but I think Scott is correct on the Mexican flame vine thought, that wouldn't be a weed, just slightly enthusiastic :^)

Thanks for al the help :-)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9383767

I found this pic of Senecio confusus, Flame vine. It has a fair image of the leaves

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/433794241/

SugarCaneReserv
Sointula
Canada

January 13, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9383983

I confirm senecio confusus. Likes dry conditions, full sun and heavy pruning to bloom.
It is VERY invading, chokes everything on its pass. I used to fight against it in the Caribbean with a machete, and never won the battle !
It choked my citrus trees planted close to the fence on which it was growing.
Make sure there are no precious trees or shrubs planted close to it, might even take care of the neighbor's weeds...
FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL
(Zone 11)

January 23, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9395284

Actually there isn't a single thing back there for it to bother, there is a 3 foot wide space between the shed and the fence it is taking over.
I just wanted a butterfly attractor on the fence, but it didn't have to be a pretty one being it's behind the shed, but your right every other day or so I have to make a point of going back there and making sure it stays on the fence and weaving it in and out of the chain link, the stems grow about a foot in 2-3 days. Oh forbid you break a stem tip, that means 3-4 other eyes will be shooting out at you from no where. The root stock is actually buried in a hole cut out of the cement walk way back there so it isn't running from under ground either to find someplace else later on. I got a Thunbergia & Jap honeysuckle though and those are a whole different story... I'd rather see any one of these blooming instead of all those weeds that invade my yard from across the fence everytime the breeze flows...thanks for all the help :-)
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2013
3:35 AM

Post #9395630

Be patient, Patti - it will bloom. Mine is 4 years old and all over the dog run - bloomed profusely just this winter.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America