Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

January 13, 2013
6:30 AM

Post #9383457

Now that we are into January with on-line catalogues for 2013 becoming available I am sure many of us are populating our 2013 "to buy" list:

So far for me :

- "Sweet Summer Love" clematis http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/clematis/sweet-summer-love-clematis

- "Mercury Rising" coreopsis http://www.waltersgardens.com/plants/General-Perennial/2224_CoreopsisMercury-RisingPPAF.aspx

- "Inca Ice" Alstroemeria http://www.gardencrossings.com/plantname/Alstroemeria-Ince-Ice

- "Misty Blue" Actaea http://www.waltersgardens.com/plants/General-Perennial/1994_Actaea-pachypodaMisty-Blue.aspx

- "Ieniemienie" Chelone http://www.amazon.com/Dwarf-Pink-Turtlehead-Plant-ieniemienie/dp/B00BJL2VVA

- "Silver Heart" Brunnera macrophylla http://www.plantsnouveau.com/plant/brunnera-silver-heart/

- "Wild Swan" Anemone http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/3283/wild-swan-hybrid-anemone.php

- "Havana Blues" Hardy Geranium http://www.plantsnouveau.com/plant/brunnera-silver-heart/

- an Epimedium or two ("Wudang Star"/"Domino"/"ElfinMagic)

Anyone have or getting the same?

Please give us your list of purchases to be.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2013 4:02 PM
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2013
8:07 AM

Post #9383542

Yesterday I took advantage of a Select Seeds 15% early order discount. I was thinking that this doesn't qualify, but it does, because they are tender perennials. It ends on the 17th. To my knowledge, they have never done this before.

Geranium Appleblossum Rosebud:
http://www.selectseeds.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/042332.5.7918913632043257572

Geranium Gardeners Joy:
http://www.selectseeds.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/042332.7.9115116029243257572

Geranium Red Rosebud:
http://www.selectseeds.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/042332.10.7976651828843257572

These are, as I'm sure you know, pelargoniums, but it was my habit to buy one of each and then propagate them over the winter, so that one plant would become five. The habit was broken by my move.

Also:
Heliotrope White (I last purchased this from Glenn Varner of Flower Scent Gardens before he closed his business. It's not possible to grow from seed, at least I never found the seed. I did grow heliotrope Marine.
http://www.selectseeds.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/042332.2.38977680540843257572

And:
Heliotrope 'Sweet Heaven' which is an "exclusive".
http://www.selectseeds.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/042332.2.38695058451243257572

I have a patio and I am putting lots of plants in pots. I am looking at scented geraniums. I kept some from last year and just love them. I think the rose ones will be at the top of my list. I also put a french lavender in a pot and it is doing wonderfully - it's blooming now.

And Oregano Kent Beauty. It doesn't overwinter for me, but what the heck.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9383599

Oh boy, I'm dreaming like mad! Here's my wish list from Forest Farm:
Platycodon grandiflorus Astra White - Dwarf White Balloon Fl
plgr017 Tube $5.95
$5.95 $17.85
Asclepias incarnata Ice Ballet - Swamp Milkweed
asin035 Tube $7.95
$7.95 $7.95
Macleaya microcarpa Coral Plume - One-seeded Plume Poppy
mami027 Size1 $9.00
$9.00 $9.00
Artemisia lactiflora Guizho - White Mugwort
arla570 Tube $5.95
$5.95 $5.95
Aster lateriflorus Lady in Black - Calico Aster
asla017 Tube $5.95
$5.95 $5.95
Artemisia ludoviciana Valerie Finnis - Valerie Silver Sage
arlu371 Tube $5.95
$5.95 $5.95
Echinacea Green Jewel - Coneflower
ecgr080 Tube $7.95
$7.95 $23.85
Origanum rotundifolium Kent's Beauty - Oregano
orro073 Tube $6.95
$6.95 $6.95
Heucherella Redstone Falls - Coral Bells
here099 Tube $7.95
$7.95 $7.95
Nepeta racemosa Little Titch - Dwarf Catmint
nera058 Tube $6.95
$6.95 $6.95

I bought and started Astra series Platycodon seed in pink and blue, but ever since have been craving the white. What a surprise to find the plant here. I've been looking for the Macleaya ever since mine gave up the ghost in too much shade. I now have the perfect spot for it. I got what was supposed to be the all green E Green Jewel in a coop last spring, but it turned out to be the bi-color Green Envy. It clashed terribly where I had it :-((((((. The Artemesia will add to a section where I already have some and don't want to divide yet. The rest will be new to me.

Is the Origanum really tender? I love the way it looks, was hoping it would winter over. Hmmmm...

This message was edited Jan 13, 2013 12:04 PM
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9383638

Pam, I've had Kents Beauty overwinter some years, and some not, so it'll be iffy for you. Personally, I think it's worth it to have as an annual.

I'm excited about 3 new sedums I'm getting, Dazzleberry, Cherry Tart and Lime Zinger. I think they will be gorgeous next to lilies.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9383665

Yes I am looking A Forest Farm for Kent Oregano Beauty, and yes, the tube.

Please let me share my wish list:

Forest Farm has very nice geraniums in tubes that you can get for $5.95 or so. After tons of research, I am seriously considering the cantabrigienses Cambridge, St. Ola and Westray. Cambridge and St. Ola I think are musts. They also have the striatum sanguinium dwarf pink and Sweet Heidi. I will make my final choices soon.

Dave's Garden has been invaluable for choosing, as well as other sites visited by gardeners. Providers want you to buy. I'm trying to avoid what people characterize as floppy or as having other issues. These are just opinions, mind you. Let me share my notes, in case this is helpful. These are the opionions I gathered:

Brookside has to be cut back – not terribly floriferous
Geranium Blushing Turtle – nice but zone 6 according to Forest Farm
Geranium Orkney Cherry – long flowering, low maintenance, zone 5 but I didn't think it pretty enough
Geranium Patricia – long flowering but not pretty enough?
Geranium Rozanne – very mixed reviews

And the pluses I am choosing from: these are all only my opinions. I wanted zone 5 hardiness and tubes. They are all available at Forest Farm:
Genanium Sweet Heidi. Forest Farm
Geranium cantabrigiense St. Ola - absolutely yes, stunning, Forest Farm
Geranium endressii Wargrave Pink. Really good, gets really big. Forest Farm tube 5.95
Geranium cantabrigiense Cambridge - spreading, Forest Farm tube 5.95 blue
Geranium renardii gorgeous, and Forest Farm
Geranium sanguin. striatum (lancastriense) - Dwf Pnk Hardy Geranium very nice Forest Farm

I hope you don't think I'm presumptuous, but I spent so much time putting together the data that I thought that I should share it if anyone else wants to use it.

Donna
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 13, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9383699

Donna - maybe it was a bad choice in my siting but I thought 'Rozanne' was over-rated as well. On the other hand, 'Sweet Heidi' has done really well here (planted in the same area as 'Rozanne'). It blooms for a long period of time and doesn't get as sprawly as some of the other Geraniums. I have had G renardii in the past from Mt. Tahoma but I think it was in a too-dry spot. Hmm - can't remember but does that one like cooler temps?
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9383982

Heres my take on geraniums:
Rozanne: I have 2. One flowered all summer, wove in and out beautifully, one didn't.
Sweet Heidi: Did beautifully until I decided to put Rozanne in that spot. The next spring I forgot I'd moved it and over planted it with something else. Oops!
St Ola, agreed. Yes, yes, yes. Survived under a box hedge with almost no care. I vow to give it more opportunity next year.
Wargrave Pink: Fond memories from another garden, lovely color, need to find a spot for it again.

Others worthy of note:
Biokovo: Absolutely an all-time favorite!
Nimbus: Found at Bluestone last year, love it. Bloomed all summer, filled in fast, great weaver.

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9384065

Rozanne really did nothing for me. A lot of people rave about it. So, it might be my soil.

Nice group you did pick, Donna.

Another one I really liked is Tiny Monster.
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

January 13, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9384095

DonnaMack wrote:
Geranium Rozanne – very mixed reviews

I have had 'Rozanne' for several years and this past season I was tempted to yank it as I do find it (too) sprawling (yet of course very floriferous). I am glad I didn't as there really is no geranium like it in terms of flowering.

But just a thought Donna et al...I think you should consider geranium "Havana Blues".

http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/blogs/graham_rice/archive/2011/12/06/geranium-havana-blues-long-flowering-new-cranesbill.aspx

I planted 4 very small bare root plants last June and yet by August there were lots of flowers. It is advertised as being floriferous but less rambling than "Rozanne". Of course I will be able to better evaluate this claim in this the second season (assuming they make it through the winter).

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 8:46 AM
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

January 13, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9384096

DonnaMack wrote:I hope you don't think I'm presumptuous, but I spent so much time putting together the data that I thought that I should share it if anyone else wants to use it.

Definitely we want it! I love reading such lists!

Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2013
3:35 AM

Post #9384221

Donna, your lavender is blooming now? Inside? Or in a greenhouse?
My orders for spring will be deer fencing and bunny cages!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9384524

Cindy, Pfg and Rogue, Pollyk,

Thank you for the take on Rozanne. I love getting feedback from people who grow the plants. These darned things are so expensive!

And the good news on Pink Heidi.

I LOVE biokovo. I have one, and I keep talking to it, trying to get it to expand. I planted it under Zephirine Drouhin at my old house. A Zeph is coming this spring. I was given five geraniums by a DG friend. One is a Karmina. I had sent some lilies. These were the first I had ever had. And because I moved them twice in two years they didn't bloom. But in my new yard, I found the geranium in the third pic. It was easily 18 inches across. I recognized it from the trails and thought - how beautiful. But it was the only one in my yard, and it was next to a chain linked fence. So I dug it up (it collapsed into a lot of stems) and replanted them.

So I am very new to hardy geraniums. Probably because I had an almost full sun yard. But I was also given a ton of Bevan's Variety and a good deal of robertianum (bless the person who told me how smelly and invasive this was. After only a week in the ground it was getting established!)
So this is my first opportunity to put in my own. I'm like a kid in a candy store!

Thank you all!
I must check out Tiny Monster!

Rogue, I just love the looks of Havana Blues. Please let me know how it does.

I am so grateful for all of these wonderful recommendations.

Weerobin,

I bought "French lavender" in a pot. That was its only identification. I could never grow it in the ground. I put it on my enclosed patio. After a couple of weeks it started to decline (brown branch). I figured that it needed transplantation but I was too preoccupied. Then in May it started to recover. I brought it in and put it on the floor in a room with southern exposure and it sent up a bunch of flowering stems. This is not a great picture but there are more than ten of them. It is still in its original soil. I water it every few days.

I tried to grow Lavender Munsted at my old house, in the ground. It was installed for me, and perhaps not well. I don't really know the difference between French and English lavender. I do know I'll be buying more. I think I paid $3.00 for it at Platt Hill Nursery. It's wonderful having it blooming in January.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack      

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 14, 2013
8:43 AM

Post #9384561

'Biokovo' has been a real trouper for me despite it's dry site and neglect on my part. I'm thinking I need to top dress mine though since all of those windy stems (rhizomes?) seem to be begging for it to bring out a healthier plant. 'Karmina' is just as cute. I'm resolving to do better for those this year.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9384860

Donna, your #3 Pic is so sweet! I've never seen one like that... If you had an ID maybe I could find it somewhere? Or maybe we could trade in the spring?
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9385121

The only geranium I've grown has been Biokovo and it was gorgeous and did very well in full sun next to the sidewalk and parking lot for about 7 years before it became a bit woody and petered out. I think I missed it's cues that I should have dug it up, divided and replanted. Would definitely buy it again though.

I'm wanting lavender and have a little wish list in mind from Purple Haze--a bit pricy but it's not like I need a field full just a few plants.

DonnaMac--I checked out Select Seeds earlybird sale and I've got my eye on a few things now:)
That Gardener's Delight Geranium is on that list:lol:

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9386454

Pfg...hold off on getting that Asclepias incarnata Ice Ballet...I've got some sprouting or have seed to ship! Just saying!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9386472

Pfg, the geranium looks like the ones I see along the Fox River Trail. I think that it is a simple species maculatum. One of those plants that was used to hybridize other plants but has its own incredible charm.

When I dug it up it collapsed in lots of pieces, and did not rebloom. But in the spring I'm sure that some of those pieces will bloom and I will be happy to trade. Also, there are sections of the trails that are maintained by groups here that have red trillium, jack in the pulpit and virginia bluebells, so as much as I covet them I don't touch them.

Would you believe it was next to a chain link fence? That's why I had to move it. Too beautiful!

But did you notice the plant to its right. It is a hydrangea macrophylla that had never bloomed, and so was moved to the fence to be out of the way. But it bloomed! And it was gorgeous! And it was mauve (pic 3)

So after it settled down in the fall..(pic 4)

I moved it so that it is in front of autumn clematis, and I burlapped it to make sure it blooms again. (pic 5.) Sorry for the blurriness.

The last two pics were taken on the same day.

Gardener's Joy is one of the more fragile geraniums. But wow, is it gorgeous!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
4:46 PM

Post #9386474

The Gardeners Joy plants they send are nice. Here is one in June the year I ordered it.

Wow - that Purple Haze is gorgeous!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9386911

Can someone help me with a plant? Bluestone is giving 50% off on a handful of perennials, and one of them is Campanula takesimana Bellringers. I know that the campanula talesiman is supposed to be quite invasive, but does anyone have experience with the cultivars.

Let me quickly explain what I'm trying to do. I inherited a yard with tons of lily of the valley, ditchlilies, barren strawberries, creeping charlie and violets. After digging up and restraining the ditch lilies (at least for now) and digging up hundreds of lily of the valley and creeping charlie (I like the violets) I'm looking for plants that can compete. I ordered two Stanwell Perpetual roses, and I put in a Charles de Mills rose right next to the LOTV bed, which is known for suckering. I added hardy geraniums to the mix. I learned that aggressive plants can be pitted against each other and fight to the draw. I pitted bayberries against salvia verticillata against anemone x hybrida and they fought each other to a gorgeous draw because they all sucker. I'd love to do that here.

So, please, do you know about this campanula? Any other thoughts? This shadier garden thing is new to me.

Thank you!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9386963

Now I gotta look for Purple Haze Lavender--I was talking about Purple Haze the nursery:lol: I wish I had info about shady gardens/campanula but I'm a full sun gal--and now I gotta go check out Bluestone:)

I was looking for other lavender sources and a place Gorge Top Gardens has a 50% off all plant sale going right now. They mention that it could end at any time--shipping is flat $10.95 for all orders.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 16, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9387030

I've had C. takesimana for a long time - '95? - from Canyon Creek and it hadn't been much of a problem. It was in more clay-ey soil, more shade, etc and didn't spread as much as I had hoped. I had to kinda help it along by moving bits and pieces to where I wanted it to grow, trying to get a respectable clump. I got 'Bellringers' from Bluestone in '09 and put it in my half sun bed. It seemed a little more aggressive in spreading but maybe because of a looser soil and more light?. I ended up moving it out of that bed last year to join the species plants. I didn't have the room for that much spread. I think I found a few stray babies later in the season as well. I'm a little nervous around spreading Campanulas since I have the cursed C. rapunculoides roaming at will.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9387035

I have a Symphyandra, which seems similar... It's under a long-established box hedge and I let it do its thing. It's pretty and doesn't get too crazy there. My feeling is- wishI had more specific knowledge- that in the circumstances you describe, tough is a good thing. I also believe in letting the thugs duke it out where the more timid don't survive.

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg         

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 16, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9387051

I think I've had Symphyandra in the past - can't remember where I got it. It does look a lot like Campanula. Isn't the S. a biennial? That's what I remember most about it. Never collected the seed to start new plants but relied on the plant to self sow. Sadly, they're all gone now. Didn't seem to be too aggressive but it was growing in some unamended soil at the time. Tried to grow S. armena from seed but could never get it to sprout.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9387072

Sold! Thank you.

The scene of the battle. Interestingly enough, Red Husker digitalis always held its own. This was at the front of my property where I wanted things to look nice but didn't want to spend my life weeding. It was, to a certain extent, dumb luck, but it was perfect! It was so sound that I had it on both sides of my entrance. I do find that plants with these characteristics are hard to transplant. It took many tries to get a couple of anemones, and about a dozen attempts to get one tine bit of salvia, which I really wanted to do, since the white is out of commerce.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack         

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9387101

Thank you everyone. Bluestone had a 50% off on a few plants, so I got 2 penstemon digitalis Husker Red (it was so expensive elsewhere that I'm willing to baby it) and three of the campanula. I also thought it would be fun to try a panicum.

Then I'll order the geraniums and STOP!!!!!

This message was edited Mar 21, 2013 5:54 AM
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 16, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9387135

Score! Good deal on the BS plants.
I remember now that the Symphyandra was hoffmanii if that's of any use to anyone.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9387294

Also my Symphyandra is perennial, and a volunteer, so I don't know any more about it.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9387613

Pfg,

That Symphyandra is under a box hedge? It's really prety, and I have inherited an evergreen hedge. That's really beautiful. One heck of a vounteer.

I have plants that need love and tending, and I enjoy it. It's neat to deadhead roses - you have to approach them and smell them and clip them. That's why I grew Heritage again. Thornless, gorgeous, fabulous scent, healthy, and then surrounded it with plants on my wall like stipa (now nessella) and salvia farinacea.

Better yet, this is in late September a couple of years back.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9424154

dmac - Looks like we are in the same area. I am adding two lavenders this year that I am excited about. Lavender Anouk and Madrid Blue. The Madrid Blue says it's borderline here, but I couldn't resist trying it, as I have heard that it is hardy in Zone 5 for someone, so should have a great chance here. I currently have Lavender Silver Anouk and it is doing amazingly! Huge plant, beautiful even right now, but I was looking for something a little less silvery, foilage wise, so decided to try Anouk. Expecting the same results from it. Plant Delights (local to me) has it and they said it's doing well for them, also.

I am starting from scratch this year! I have an entire yard begging for landscaping, so I am really excited! I won't bore you guys with my 5-year plan of exhaustive perennials, but I am keeping it simple, going for long bloomers right now. Here's a few:

Coreopsis Moonlight
Verbena Blue Princess
Iberis Masterpiece (if it will get to market, already!)
Echinacea Hot Summer, Secret Glow, Cheyenne Spirit, Leilani, Secret Joy, Marmalade and Hot Papaya (yes, I must!)
Heuchera/ella Obsidian, Kimono, Green Spice and Spellbound
Scabiosa Fama Blue
Eryngium Sapphire Blue
Several Dinnerplate Dahlias
Helenium Ruby Tuesday
Rudbeckia Tiger Eye
Clematis Bijou

Come on Spring!
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

February 19, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9424507

funnthsun wrote:I am adding two lavenders this year that I am excited about. Lavender Anouk and Madrid Blue. The Madrid Blue says it's borderline here, but I couldn't resist trying it, as I have heard that it is hardy in Zone 5 for someone, so should have a great chance here.

I put in my first Lavender this past summer; 2 of the more compact "Blue Cushion". I have my fingers crossed extra hard hoping they make it through this current very trying winter.

If they go to 'plant heaven' I may replace them with this very new but highly thought of lavender called "Phenomenal". It even has its own Facebook page! Take a look here: http://www.facebook.com/LavenderPhenomenal

funnthsun wrote:I won't bore you guys with my 5-year plan of exhaustive perennials,

Never a bore 'funn'. We love reading about what others are choosing for their garden...it gives us lots of good ideas.

funnthsun wrote:Iberis Masterpiece (if it will get to market, already!)

I too was excited about this same plant last season. I did find it and planted one. It slowly but surely vanished from the garden during 2013. To be honest I had it in less than full sun conditions and it was squeezed out by a vigorous mound of annual alyssum (which did just fine in this same location).

I don't think I will try it again. I have always been very pleased with my traditional early flowering candytuft. I love this plant for its early, very bright white and very long lasting flowers.

But for sure let us all know know how yours does.

funnthsun wrote:Echinacea Hot Summer, Cheyenne Spirit, Hot Papaya

I have the first and the last one. I really did like HP and HS was good too. BUT even so I ripped out several stands of Echinacea last season as both "Sunflower Moth Larvae" and the disease "Aster Yellows" hit many of my coneflowers. I will buy no more echinacea as my full sun real estate is too valuable for too easily diseased plants (for me anyways).
(I have heard very good things about CS but as far as I know this will be the first season that Cheyenne will actually be in 'regular gardeners gardens'!).

funnthsun wrote:Eryngium Sapphire Blue

Can I make a suggestion?

I love "Sea Holly" and a few years back I planted several 'Sapphire Blue'. But for me all of them were so floppy and attracted so many yucky flies! So I pulled them out a couple of years back and replaced them with "Big Blue" Eryngium . They have performed very well i.e. sturdy upright and the most incredible blue.

I hope these suggestions get you thinking.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2013 3:29 PM

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9424549

Ooooh, good suggestion on the Eryngium, thanks!

Echinacea is my FAVORITE flower by far, so even Aster Yellows would be worth dealing with for me. I have created a raised bed just for them! They will have some friends, too, of course, but the bed was made with them in mind :) Moth Larvae, too? Not a good year for echs for you!

I looked at (slobbered over) Lavender Phenomenal, also, but in the end, decided to go with the old reliable Anouk. I was thinking about adding it into another section with some roses, though (a future bed, not this year), so I may still do that, especially since there will be some feedback on it by then. I have stuck to Lavandula Stoechas, knowing it's hardiness and since Phenomenal is not a Stoechas, I am leary! We shall see!
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

February 19, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9424599

funnthsun wrote:I looked at (slobbered over) Lavender Phenomenal, also, but in the end, decided to go with the old reliable Anouk.
I have stuck to Lavandula Stoechas, knowing it's hardiness and since Phenomenal is not a Stoechas, I am leary!

You have more willpower than me...I love trying the newest intros...lots of fun.

But reading more about "Phenomenal" here: http://www.peacetreefarm.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=990

It makes specific mention as to its (excellent) hardiness. But for sure only time will tell if it really does deliver on the 'goods'.

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9424600

Willpower? Have you SEEN my echinacea list? LOL! :)

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9424605

Oh, by the way, is Big Blue sterile? Don't want any spreading, that's why I chose Sapphire Blue. That and Sapphire Blue is a bit smaller than Big Blue. Does yours spread or is it too soon to tell?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9424713

Oh dear, more purchases!

Campanula Bellringers
Digitalis Husker Red
Panicum (for a pot, since it's not hardy here)

But worse - shrubs!

2 fothergilla Mt. Airy

And worse - a two gallon viburnum plicatum Pink Beauty from Plant and Gnome. I had the choice of 3-4ft bare root or 2 gallon container for $17 or a 1 gallon container @ $13. With $10 shipping. Seed grown plants! Last year I git three bare root oakleaf hydrangeas for $70 - including shipping. They were 3 feet tall!

The bareroots would have to be shipped in March - last year I heeled them in. The containers can be sent at any time.

I'm so bad!

Viburnum plicatum Pink Beauty. A large pink doublefile that can take some shade.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9424718

Well, I bought these so far and will receive later once things warm up. All are small 3" or bareroot depending on the plant:

Hydrangea Stargazer (2)
Hydrangea Wedding Gown (3)
Phlox Tequila Sunrise (3)
Phlox Twister (3)
Phlox Orange Perfection (3)
Phlox David (3)

I don't know if lilies count as perennial but they do come back (fingers crossed) and these are some I'm trying:
Asiatic:
Crimson Pixie
Gran Paradiso
Orange Pixie
Peach Pixie
Oriental:
Bamako
Dizzy
Muscadet
Nippon
Salmon Star
Stargazer
LA:
American Treasure
Species:
cernuum
martagon
Russian Morning
Tiger type:
Black Beauty
Citronella

I usually buy too many of those baby plants to hedge my bets--hoping one of the 2 or 3 will live:lol: Lilies I'm sometimes hit or miss with--some flourish and some just seem to disappear never to be heard or seen again:lol:
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9424720

DonnaMack (I am also a Donna Mc!)--where you shopping with the great prices and shipping? Mine was a yahoo garden group:)
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

February 19, 2013
4:27 PM

Post #9424723

funnthsun wrote: that's why I chose Sapphire Blue.

I made a mistake 'funn'. The "Sea Holly" that was a flopper for me was "Blue Glitter" (Not SB). So I can't make conclusions about that particular 'holly'.

(Btw, I was blown away by a mass planting of "Sapphire Blue" at an university arboretum a few years ago...it was breath taking)

funnthsun wrote:Does yours spread or is it too soon to tell?

It may be too early to judge but I have had no issue with spread thus far.

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
6:43 PM

Post #9424854

oh, wonderful! So glad to hear that! Bluestone said that Sapphire Blue was the best one that they've seen so far, but I like to hear it from everyday gardeners before I bank on it.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2013
3:59 AM

Post #9425167

I got the two fothergillas from Bluestone at half price. I will have to pot them for a year or two but that's OK. That is also where the other perennials came from. I watch out for half price sales.

But Plant and Gnome is available at any time to any one. I don't know how you ship plants via Fed Ex for $10, but it is $10 an order! Not per plant - per order. I couldn't believe it. And his plants are huge - and gorgeous. The selection is somewhat limited, but the plants are magnificent. Here is their site:

http://www.plantandgnome.com/

Check out the plant price list. This is one of the few places that will ship you a true hydrangea Querquefolia Snowflake (lots of people substitute, and a major company, to whom I was paying $42 plus shipping, gave away my order). If he doesn't have it, he lets you know.

I check him every year when I am looking for shrubs. I've ordered six shrubs from him so far.

And Garden Watchdog loves him:

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2494/
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

February 20, 2013
4:01 AM

Post #9425168

funnthsun wrote:Ooooh, good suggestion on the Eryngium, thanks!

I have attached a couple of pictures of a couple of my "Big Blue" Sea Holly from a couple of summers ago:

funnthsun wrote:I looked at (slobbered over) Lavender Phenomenal,

Keep slobbering as the picture below, sent to me from an actual wholesale grower of "Phenomenal" is impressive don't you think?

Thumbnail by rouge21   Thumbnail by rouge21   Thumbnail by rouge21      

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013
5:10 AM

Post #9425192

OMG, that thing is HUGE! Don't know if I even have a spot for that! So glad I didn't get it to put in my foundation bed, it would have swallowed everything else! Wonder how long it's been growing? Either way, it can't be a terribly old plant, as the variety is fairly new. Impressive isn't the word. Thanks for sharing the pic.

The first pic of big blue looks more like Sapphire Blue's expected color, but then the second pic is much bluer, as I expected to see. Beautiful!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9425199

I don't know what's lovelier - the eryngium or you in that glorious field of lavendar!
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

February 20, 2013
10:58 AM

Post #9425581

DonnaMack wrote:I don't know what's lovelier - the eryngium or you in that glorious field of lavendar!

That isn't me outstanding ;) in that field Donna (although if I was, I too would be holding that...glass of...wine?).

That lady is the wife of the grower!

This message was edited Feb 20, 2013 2:08 PM

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013
11:18 AM

Post #9425599

The first Open House of the year for Plant Delights Nursery is this weekend. I just don't think I can resist the temptation! Plus, it's wonderful to walk among their proving gardens to see what things look like at this time of year. I've made more than one impulse buy based on how something looks in their garden. :)
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

February 20, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9425612

funnthsun wrote:OMG, that thing is HUGE! Don't know if I even have a spot for that!

The grower of this field of PHENOMENAL Lavender told me that this particular specimen shows this variety's maximum size. (It is much larger than any size description shown on any website). I too am glad to have seen this picture as I had been thinking of buying a couple of these plants but no longer...I have no where near enough room for even one of them! But it is gorgeous.

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013
12:02 PM

Post #9425627

lana, I won't miss the open house at Plant Delights either! So excited! They are the best in unique, hard to find, never before seen plants. I have some Crocosmia that was an impulse buy from them because of their gardens as well. It will be interesting to see what's blooming in Winter there!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2013
2:29 PM

Post #9425775

Rogue,

Whoops!

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013
6:21 PM

Post #9426073

Carisa, I have my eye on two endangered natives that they cannot sell out of state. Hmmmmm...

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2013
7:05 PM

Post #9447502

Well, my list has gotten a bit more extensive. It looks a little more like a nursery inventory and lot less like a personal list every day!

Echinacea: Cheyenne Spirit, Leilani, Secret Joy, Marmalade, Hot Papaya
Heuchera/ella: Obsidian, Kimono, Green Spice, Spellbound
Eryngium Sapphire Blue, Scabiosa Fama, Coreopsis Moonlight (Bluestone Perennials)
Lavandula stoechas 'Madrid Blue' (Avant Gardens)
Verbena ‘Blue Princess’ & ‘Snowflurry’, Dianthus ‘Heart Attack’, Eucomis ‘Dark Star’,
Oxalis-Palm Leaf False Shamrock, Lavandula stoechas 'Anouk' (Plant Delights)
Glow Girl Spirea, Anna’s Magic Ball Arborvitae
Astrantia ‘Moulin Rouge’, Echinacea Double Scoop Raspberry, Raspberry Truffle & Double
Scoop Orangeberry (Burpee)
Helenium ‘Ruby Tuesday’, Echinacea Secret Lust, Solar Flare & Chiquita, Amsonia Hubrichtii,
Bowles Golden Sedge, Veronica ‘Tidal Pool’, Garden Globeflower
(Trollius) ‘Cheddar’ (Lazy S Farm)
Nigella hispanica ‘Curiosity’, Cerinthe major purpurascens ‘Blue Honeywort’, Euphorbia
characias ‘Dwarf’, Geranium ‘Bill Wallis’, Nemophila ‘Penny Black’, Platystemon ‘Cream
Cups’, Nemophila ‘Baby Blue Eyes’ (Annie’s Annuals)

This is going to be an interesting year!

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2013
7:09 PM

Post #9447507

Also picked up a few things locally that I am excited about:

Aubrieta "Violet with Eye" (always wanted to try Aubrieta)
Scabiosa "Mariposa Violet" (this is amazing new color, so vivid lavender/purple!)
Snow Cone Candytuft (suppose to bloom longer than other varieties)
Snow Princess Lobelia (I have several gardener friends that say that this variety actually overwintered for them here!)
Scallywag Holly (absolutely gorgeous new variety with burgundy edges in the fall/winter and such a beautiful leaf habit)

Come on, warm weather!

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9447511

Oh, forgot the bulbs.

Siberian Iris "Shaker's Prayer"
Anemone Coronaria "de caen"
Clematis "Bijou"
Multiple varieties of Dinnerplate Dahlias
Oriental Lily "Serene Angel"
Polianthes "The Pearl"

and forgot earlier several "Icee Blue" Junipers

yep, I've lost it, completely!
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

March 12, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9447568

funnthsun wrote:Veronica ‘Tidal Pool’,

I planted 3 of these plants this past season. Although I got no flowering (they went in the ground in June and July), they did expand significantly forming a dense mat of very low lying ground cover. And interestingly enough they have been evergreen in my zone 5 climate. (Although I haven`t been able to confirm this for the past month as they have been under 2 feet of snow in that time!).

But I better see lots of those fluorescent blue flowers this spring.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9447739

After reading great reviews for Accents for Home and Gardens (Pepper's Greenhouses) on Garden Watchdog last week I ordered several scented geraniums and a pink abutilon for the indoor patio but also 3 wintergreen plants (I thought I'd replace some hosta next to the house with them), 2 Oregano Kent Beauty (the may to go into pots because of possible lack of hardiness but I just love them). The people who lived here before had about 45 hosta but I gave many of them away - a neighbor with horrible soil came and dug up about 30. I removed about 8 more replaced them with oakleaf hydrangeas, ferns, deutzia codsall pink, lilies, heuchera and hardy geraniums and other goodies like a shade tolerant rose and grasses. The people who lived here before put all their energy into the organic veggies and fruits, which is nice to have, but the ornamental part of the yard was all lily of the valley, wild strawberries, violets (I do like those) creeping charlie and hostas.

I left three hostas next to the house in complete shade but "fronted" them with 5 seed grown bergenia, digitalis grandiflora and several hardy geraniums, which are also shade plants, and I like the results. The hosta spot is basically a hole but the bergenia and hardy geraniums are showing their winter color as the snow melts. I do have one quite beautiful hosta that blooms with gorgeous white flowers.

I'm also putting in more arabis caucausica under a big crabapple.
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

March 13, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9447748

DonnaMack wrote:
I left three hostas next to the house in complete shade but "fronted" them with 5 seed grown bergenia, digitalis grandiflora and several hardy geraniums, which are also shade plants, and I like the results. The hosta spot is basically a hole but the bergenia and hardy geraniums are showing their winter color as the snow melts. I do have one quite beautiful hosta that blooms with gorgeous white flowers.

Don't forget to post pictures when things look really good.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2013
5:14 AM

Post #9447749

You bet!
arfitz
Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2013
5:31 PM

Post #9448428

I am getting into the Itoh Peonies and have ordered several from Jung. Their prices are good and they have a sale on some doubles at 3for $22.00. Also they advertise roots with 8 buds.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2013
11:41 AM

Post #9458210

DonnaMack: I remembered that you liked ForestFarm and I went to their site to consider a purchase (Forsythia Gold Tide), but their shipping struck me as astronomical ($42 for 4 one gallon plants). Am I missing something?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2013
12:40 PM

Post #9458245

No, you are not missing a thing. Their shipping is not cheap. Believe it or not it's cheaper than it used to be. But their plants are huge. Here is an example. I ordered three Deutzia Codsall Pink. On the site they promised 2-3 foot plants - size 1, a gallon:

http://www.forestfarm.com/product.php?category=19&id=1579

This is what they sent. The tallest one, to the left, is over five feet tall. The smallest one is taller than 3 feet. They were $10 each. White Flower Farm was selling the same one gallon for $32.95. Forest Farm's plants are cheap, and they are better than the ones at the premium garden centers around me.

Now, mind you, my shipping was about what yours was. The shipping is by BOX. So by purchasing 4 gallons, I actually paid the shipping for one. The result for me on my last two orders is to buy more plants to fill up a box, which is four gallon containers. So I bought a rose I had always wanted.

Did you see this on their site?:

"YOUR BEST SHIPPING VALUE on Size:1 plants is to fill boxes of four (although we DO have a box to fit just one plant). You pay the same shipping charge for 2,3, or 4 size:1 (1-gallon) plants. We are perfectly happy to ship a partly-empty box BUT we want you to be aware of the economy of filling the box."

So instead of buying one plant for $10 and paying $42 for shipping, I spent $45 and paid $42 for shipping, and got four incredible shrubs for $87.00. The 3 deutzias from FF would have cost about $99 without shipping.

The only company I know where the shipping DIRT CHEAP is Plant and Gnome. Their cost is $10 PER ORDER. Last year I bought 3 hydrangea Q. Snowflakes (huge bareroots - at least 3 feet each) for $20 each and my total cost was $70. So I always scope them out for what they have. They are sending me a four foot tall containerized Pink Beauty Shrub (think about the weight!) for $17 plus $10 shipping - a total of $27.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9458260

Too bad Plant and Gnome doesnt ship to UT. At least, that's what I understand from the website. FF looks to be my best value. Thanks for the tip!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9458292

Sigh. $42 for shipping for 4 plants still is fairly stunning, especially with no economy of scale -- it doesn't get much cheaper per plant if you order more. I recognize that the bottom line is a good value -- but that is still a lot of money!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9458489

The following are sort of purchases, more along the lines of shrubs, and I just got them as a contributor to Raulston Arboretum. I asked for three plants (my alloted number) and these were:

Abelia 'Lynn' Pinky Bells™ large flowered dwarf abelia:
http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/abelia/pinky-bells-abelia

Hydrangea serrata 'Ô amacha Nishiki' mountain hydrangea:
http://www.hydrangea.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=279&=SID#MOREINFO

Deutzia gracilis 'Nikko Dawn' variegated slender deutzia:
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/plant-finder/plant-details/kc/s720/deutzia-gracilis-nikko.aspx

But they mailed them to my old house! So I let them know and they were terribly chagrinned. I knew because the lovely people who bought my house offered to mail them, but I went and picked them up.

Well, as an apology, I received from Raulston by priority mail today:

A second abelia
A second hydrangea serrata
Callicarpa japonica ingale (so new there isn't a pic)

’Hydrangea paniculata “Brussels Lace”:
http://hydrangeasplus.com/Hydrangea_Paniculata_Brussel-s_Lace.html

Ficus carica 'Lattarula' – Italian golden honey fig

I now have 8 new plants. Some will have to spend winter in the garage, but wow!

And this effectively ends my buying for the season. I have several roses and shrubs coming, in addition to the perennials I listed above. I am uncertain as to where all these goodies will go. Most will go into pots to mature. But what a great problem!

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2013
6:20 PM

Post #9458507

Donna, that is awesome! Good thing You didn't move to far. :-)
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2013
3:37 AM

Post #9458792

I have friends who moved to New Zealand. That would have been a hike!
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

March 23, 2013
4:20 AM

Post #9458805

DonnaMack wrote:I have friends who moved to New Zealand.

I bet they have a wonderful garden!

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2013
11:00 AM

Post #9459134

They have a full acre with a conservatory, a greenhouse, and tons of fruit trees. It allows them to grow anything, edible or not, all year round.

They also have sheep, goats and chickens! LOL!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9487069

By the way, the most intoxicating gardening book I have read of recent is Scott Calhoun's Designer Plant Combinations, http://www.amazon.com/Designer-Plant-Combinations-Stunning-Gardens/dp/1603420770/ref=la_B001JOXPOE_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366205409&sr=1-1 He mentions lots of plants I have not used before and that sound really appealing. I love the design of the book too.
frahnzone5
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9487754

Happy_macomb, I looked up Scott Calhoun's book on Amazon.com, fell in love with the sneak preview and bought it!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9487836

Oh gosh, Hap, I did too!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2013
5:25 PM

Post #9487848

You'll really be pleased you did! I can't put it down. I think because he gardens both in Arizona and Pennsylvania (how bi-polar is that?), he brings some really unusual plants into focus. And he doesn't seem so intent on huge blossoms, or plants that are "covered with blossoms", both of which can get tiresome and are overused, but instead on good shapes and foliage and color... (I do find the name of his book a bit off-putting - a tad pretentious.) I was hoping he'd have other books up my alley, but his other books are focused on southwestern gardening.

I just looked at the Amazon preview of his book, which I hadn't before -- he offers tons of pages -- that's really nice -- some books only give you a teaser.

And Donna, I can't recall where you mentioned it but I just bought a (used) copy of the book you recommended on 4-season color in the garden ... it should arrive any day! So thank you for that!

This message was edited Apr 17, 2013 7:29 PM
rouge21

(Zone 4b)

April 17, 2013
8:05 PM

Post #9487999

happy_macomb wrote:And he doesn't seem so intent on huge blossoms, or plants that are "covered with blossoms", both of which can get tiresome and are overused,

I am feeling guilty as I must admit that I do enjoy that kind of tiresome!

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2013
5:44 AM

Post #9488252

I was thinking the same thing, rouge! :)
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9488279

Was it 'Continuous Bloom' by Pam Duthie? I think that for me it was one of the most helpful.

I never thought I'd use a plant "covered with blossums" or, heaven forbid, a petunia, but I grew petunia Avalanche white (what a cliche, a petunia covered with blossums) and put it near rose Sea Foam and a bunch of verbena bonariensis and nicotiana alata seedlings and really liked the look!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9488365

I have Nicotiana alata for the first time this year. I grouped it with Salvia horminum Blue. Hopefully, a similar effect to yours, color-wise, Donna. There are some clems growing behind them. We will see how it goes!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9488398

I'm sorry -- I didn't mean to sound snotty when I talked about plants being "tiresome" and "overused" -- I didn't choose my words carefully -- I was trying to make the point that Calhoun names plants that are different -- not (for me at least) the usual suspects. Apologies! My yard is so shady that the hearty-bloomers don't generally do well for me, so just chalk my rudeness up to plant-envy!

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9488519

LOL, happy, I didn't take it that way, I just thought, man, I must be old school! :)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9488616

I doubt it -- I know your garden is beautiful. I don't think there is such a thing as "old school" with gardening -- all gardens are beautiful to me!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2013
10:43 AM

Post #9490826

happy_macomb wrote:By the way, the most intoxicating gardening book I have read of recent is Scott Calhoun's Designer Plant Combinations, http://www.amazon.com/Designer-Plant-Combinations-Stunning-Gardens/dp/1603420770/ref=la_B001JOXPOE_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366205409&sr=1-1 He mentions lots of plants I have not used before and that sound really appealing. I love the design of the book too.

You might be "happy", but have tempted me too...I got it on half.com for a little less than Amazon, but not by much...

The rule is when I buy a book, I need to move one out of my book case. My husband taught me this as before I really had more garden books than I actually used. I keep the ones that I read over and over or reference books, though I have unloaded quite a few of those. I still have more than I need, so it will give me a chance to go through all those books. Maybe I will offer a few here, or start a new thread on book exchanging...does anyone else have any that you no longer want or need?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2013
5:59 PM

Post #9491211

I just received an incrdible order of plants from Accents for House and Garden (Peppers Greenhouse). I am amazed by the size of some of them.

Left to right::

Here they are on GW. They just got kicked out of the top 30.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2438/

Look at these plants!!!!!

Left to right:

Oregano Kent Beauty (2)

A pink abuliton

Scented geraniums (3)

Peace lily

Wintergreen (3)

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9491668

Really? That's great to know - they had some plants I wanted, but got some scathing reviews.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9491674

By the way, I have a short watering can review for those in the market. I got 3 from Amazon, as follows:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029D6NZC/ref=oh_details_o05_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1: I just love this one. It if very nicely balanced, and has terrific handles. It is very light-weight, but hold almost 3 gallons. It has a nicely diffused shower of water (or a stream if you prefer). Only problem -- as many reviewers said, it is not appropriate for indoor watering because it dribbles for a moment after you stand it upright. And the opening is small so it won't be easy to clean the inside -- but then, because the opening is small, not too much junk should wander in.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQWWJK/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1: Seemed very cheesy and didn't have a good "feel." Luckily, I guess, mine had a major scratch in it so I can return it at Amazon's expense.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00394SSWG/ref=oh_details_o05_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1: Beautiful, but way too heavy even before you add the 3 gallons of water it holds. Plus, the "flower" is welded on, so there is no way to clean it when the inevitable leaf gets stuck on the inside of the flower. So this I'll have to return at my expense, which is too bad because it is so heavy!

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9491695

Happ, oh, I understand. I knew that I was taking a chance, especially since the prices of the plants was so low! But they had no bad reviews in the past year, and they have some heavy duty repeat buyers. The scary thing was the low prices. And look at the size of the peace lily and abuliton!

I'll be back, since they are batting 1000% I am also curious about Romence, a Watchdog 30 I had never heard of that seems to have some things I want at reasonable prices.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9491704

Oh, and they accept Paypal. It gives me an extra level of comfprt. I am often offered the "we don't pay them until you have had it fot two weeks" option, which costs nothing.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9491740

Be sure if you paypal you back it up with a credit card, not direct draw from your bank account.

I may revisit the Accent site after all. What put me off more than anything were the incredibly rude rejoinders from Accent's management to complaints posted on DG. For the moment I have too many plants in pots that I haven't gotten in the ground to justify ordering anything else (a promise I'll probably break tomorrow)!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2013
3:57 PM

Post #9492228

I can only recount my experience, and I did go back about a year before I found a complaint. I'm not selling anything here, and I'm certainly not trying to persuade any one of anything. If you have decided not to do business with them, that is of course your choice. Since you note that you have far too many plants now, the issue, for you, is moot.

Just as a note, I never buy anything garden related from Amazon. I purchase many other items from them, and they send me garden related things, but they don't seem to "get it" and appear to me to offer things that are pretty but impractical.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9492317

Donna: I certainly wasn't challenging your conclusion -- I was delighted that they turned out to be good. I had wanted to place an order, but was concerned about what I read. So what you posted is good news for me at least.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2013
9:19 PM

Post #9492644

I get a laugh out of some of the reviews I see. I bought Schizanthus seeds recently on Amazon, just because the reviews were so ridiculous. The Latin name was first and prominent, followed by the descriptions 'orchid-like flowers' and 'Poor Man's Orchid,' both accurate. Three reviewers out of three raved on at length about fraudulent advertising, they are not orchids. I mean, really! Does Schizanthus start with an 'O'?!

So of course, even though the copy was a bit florid, which I usually take as a red flag, I had to bite. The seeds (which are quite small) came in just a few days in a coin-type envelope inside a regular one. There were a generous number of seeds and very detailed directions for germinating them, which I followed. So far, so good. Next is to see if they sprout...

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2013
5:43 AM

Post #9492841

I buy everything but live plants from Amazon. The reviews are awesome and I can find stuff there that I can't find anywhere else for a much better price. Just recently bought a huge bag of worm castings. Can't find that at your run-of-the-mill store, can you? I find that if anything isn't quality, then the reviews reflect that. My gardening supplies are much better quality b/c of my relying on Amazon's reviews.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9492875

I, too, rely on Amazon's reviews, largely to good avail. I'd offer one additional caveat -- look at a handful of the positive reviews to see if the reviewer has only posted one (or two or three) reviews. Might be an employee and you need to discount that "false positive." I remember staying at a hotel that had been recommended highly. I had some reason to go into the executive offices. There was a prominent sign thumbtacked there: "Have you posted on TripAdvisor today?" Then again, the hotel clearly cared that it was doing well, and I'd stay there again. Oh -- and the other thing is to watch the shipping (for non-"Amazon" shippers especially). Some charge by the item; others charge by the pound and/or shipment. On the latter, you can really save if you buy more than one item (assuming you want it) -- that is, the shipping goes way down for each additional item.

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2013
10:55 AM

Post #9493209

I second everything happy said. That is exactly how I handle Amazon. Make sure there are lots of reviews and that most items are straight from Amazon, but sometimes, if I really want something and they have a good amount of good reviews, I will buy from second parties through Amazon. Good success and Amazon will back you even through second parties, they have the best customer service on the planet, hands down. Customer is always right. I have Amazon Prime, so always look for that for free 2-day shipping. Love, love Amazon!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9493226

I love Amazon Prime, and I think that it is very much worth the cost. I find them to be a fantastic place to buy garden books. I go through the bargain garden books and find amazing things. And I look to them for reviews. And yes, they will back you to the hilt if you have a problem, like the time I bought $100 DVD set that didn't work and the seller claimed it did. Yes, funnnthsun, for them the customer is always right.

But I always start with Pricegrabber. If you go to that site and put in what you want, it will find you the lowest price, and that price includes shipping and, I think, tax. It is often Amazon, but not always. After I find the best price, I go to FatWallet, which gives me, directly, a percentage back at many companies from which I purchase. There are specific items in which Amazon participates.

As an example, I use Drugstore.com a lot. Drugstore will send me a 20% offer. Then they give me a percentage of the sales price in a 5% credit. Then I go to FatWallet and see if there is an additional offer - say 6% back from Fat Wallet.

I then go through Fat Wallet to Drugstore.com for the 6%, sign into Drugstore.com for the 20% and the 5% credit, and then get cash back from FatWallet.

Drugstore.com gives free shipping on a $25 order. And they often have coupons for the products I buy (they flag you that a coupon is available). Once I discovered I could buy everything from dishwashing detergent to garbage bags to paper towels to shampoo and makeup to vitamins to, well, you pretty much name it, I stopped going to the store for that stuff. Which also saves gas.

And I buy whatever I can through Paypal, which offers the option, on many items, of holding back payment for two weeks, just to make sure that you are happy. And that service is free!

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9493297

Update: my Schizanthus seeds sprouted over the weekend!!!! Yippee!!!!!

Usually I'm much more carefull. I just got really incensed over the unfairness of those stupid, ignorant reviews, and stuck my neck out. Whew!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9493327

Donna: Here's another tool for your arsenal: http://shop.pricespider.com/. Find a particular item you want to buy and it'll show you a price history; you can then request an email when the price drops to a particular level.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2013
10:24 PM

Post #9495221

Donna: I got "Continuous Bloom" by Pam Duthie on your recommendation -- I really like it.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2013
4:46 AM

Post #9495323

I'm so glad. It completely changed my approach to gardening. I would go through it to fill in seasonal holes, especially early and late. No more boring garden!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9507298

I checked out of the library, "Continuous Bloom".

Donna ~ You seem to be quite a savvy shopper. Thank you for your suggestions.

http://www.dealoz.com is a another place to compare prices of books.

Carisa ~ Yes Amazon has been a good place for me to shop. We have an antenna for our TV instead of cable or sattelite. It is very expensive in our area, so we have 2 DVRs that we got on Amazon. My husband loves the Channel Master as it has a TV Guide to program your shows, like most people have with cable or sattelite.

Happy ~ I did get the book "Designer Plant Combinations" per your suggestion. I got it on half.com

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9507304

Pam ~ How are the schizanthus doing?
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2013
1:33 AM

Post #9507477

I got two sprouts early on, both flopped :-(. I haven't given up, but nothing has happened since then and I don't have much hope at this point.

I did get Duthie's Continuous Bloom, via Amazon. It just came the other day. Great pics, lots of familiar favorites, and many new ideas to try. Thanks for the recommendation. :-)
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2013
4:58 AM

Post #9507563

Tank you, Hap, for shop.pricespider site, and Evelyn for dealoz. The more we can save on household items, the more we can spend on plants!

I have been lucky enough to have access to libraries with a garden club affiliation which encouraged its members to buy all the new books, particularly Timber Press books, for the library. It's neat, because I must have checked out "Continuous Bloom" three times before I purchased it. My library has gotten "Designer Plant Combinations". I reserved it. I was also able to look at lots of pages on Amazon and I can see that my taste is a lot like the author's, and I have a lot of the plants I saw. But I had to search and search for them. I really like the way he has assembled so many of the more unusual plants in the book.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America