Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Houseplants: Help!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 7, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jessiekay28
Oklahoma City, OK

January 13, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9383568

My husband bought me this houseplant back in September. My question is, do I need to separate the different plants into separate containers? The only one that I can identify is the peace lily. One of the plants is almost completely dead. (The really light green leaf in the middle area). Anyways, any suggestions? Thanks so much!!!!

P.S. I don't know why the pic uploaded sideways. Sorry!

Thumbnail by jessiekay28
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
5:50 AM

Post #9384318

They look alright to me, but if they are starting to die I would transplant them, otherwise I would wait til spring.

I believe this is your plant in the front, hope this helps
http://www.easybloom.com/plantlibrary/plant/baby-rubber-plant

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 8:58 AM
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9384529

Does that container have a drain hole? I would encourage you to read the sticky at the top of this forum, about soil and drainage.

The variegated plant in the front is a Peperomia. The other with very light leaves is Syngonium which may be unhealthy, or becoming so. It probably shouldn't be that color. The thin leaf plant with variegated edges more to the right is a Dracaena marginata, and there may be a plain green spider plant there also to the left, Chlorophytum comousm. These plants need separate homes due to different light requirements, IMO/IME.

The peace lily and Syngonium are no-direct-sun plants, maybe very early morning or last rays of the day. They will burn in any significant exposure.

The other three prefer/need some direct sun, a few hours in AM or PM, just not the hottest couple hours in the middle of the day.
jessiekay28
Oklahoma City, OK

January 14, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9384604

Thank you so much! How do I go about separating them? I also attached a pic of the two plants on the left side.

Thumbnail by jessiekay28
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ficuswrangler
St Petersburg, FL

January 14, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9385063

What your husband bought you is more properly called a "dish garden." Florists make them up by potting a bunch of small houseplants together with no regard for the light or water requirements of the different plants. They just want the plants to look pretty together, much like a flower bouquet. They really don't care if the dish garden lives a long time.

So if you want all the plants to live, you need to separated them and pot each one by itself. Your instinct was spot on. First you'll need to gather some pots, 4" or 6" diameter, and some soil. Someone here can give you some links to mixing good soil, or find a "soilless" mix, or use potting soil. Then lay out some newspaper on a work surface, and remove the whole mass of plants from the dish. carefully separate the different plants, you'll probably see where each one's roots are; I don't think they'll be too badly intertwined. If they are tangled together, don't be afraid to cut them apart with scissors. Again, I hope someone here can give you a good link to repotting, it's not hard. Just put some soil in the bottom - don't need anything for "drainage" - put in your plants, and they're good to go. Well, there is a little more to it than that, if you want to get into it.

By the way, in your second picture, the plant with the yellow-green borders is Dracaena warneckei 'lemon lime', the small one is a little cutting of pleomele reflexa.
jessiekay28
Oklahoma City, OK

January 14, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9385171

Thanks so much! I will definitely be repotting them separately. Do you think I could keep the peace lily in the container or is it too big for it?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9385237

I'll echo purpleinopp--does the pot have a drainage hole? If not, I would repot everything into different containers that do have drainage holes. So many people manage to kill plants accidentally by overwatering them anyway, and not having a drainage hole makes it WAY easier to overwater, so you really need to put everything in pots with drainage holes.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9385842

Agree with the advice. Getting the mass out of the pot is the hardest part, to me, I recommend having someone there to help make sure it doesn't flop upside down.

When gripping plants, try not to squeeze very hard, and they are usually most sturdy right below/at where they emerge from the soil.

FW, has Pleomele reflexa has been renamed Dracaena reflexa. I've only heard of it by the latter name, but am pretty new to this one. The one in Jessie's pic has a really nice, dark color! That's cool there were 2 more plants hiding in there! These two can also easily burn, but can be acclimated to some direct exposure.

Still not sure if there's a spider plant in there or not...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America