Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Neck of the Woods Chat January 2013

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 170, Views: 1,065
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9383621

What busy chatterers we are these days, Guess we are all excited that the days are getting longer and our gardening and other adventures will soon be in full swing.

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1291667/

Chat away, Chat away, chat away all!

This message was edited Jan 13, 2013 12:30 PM

Thumbnail by coleup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9383662

Ahem...Broke my wrist 2 years ago when I slipped down the deck steps wearing Crocs. Remember, Ric.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9383724

No broken bones to report here and no flip flops either. Unless a shoe or sandle is anchored to my feet, they tend to fly off at the most inconvenient times. Currently, I like Tevas with the multiple, infinitely adjustable, velcro straps. Learned in a rock climbing course to keep my center of gravity properly positioned over my feet so as to not fall off the mountain by not letting my feet get out from under me.

Tai Chi helps with this balance thing, too, As does going barefoot. There are millions of sensors on the bottom of our feet that have helped us be homoerectus and wearing shoes throws that innateness off. Heels are the worst for throwing our alinement off, etc.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2013
11:50 AM

Post #9383752

I'm trying to get inspiration to go outside and work in the yard, but it is so cold and damp instead of the unusually warm day I had been led to expect...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9383784

I have 2 very well worn croc-type "shoes'. The soles have absolutely NO tread left.
I wear one of them in the house all the time (the pea green ones) and the others when I go shopping or such.
These are black and, I think they are men's--as they are a bit loose and wide on my feet.
They both fit best with thick socks on.

Just a few weeks ago, I came to my HD (shopping) and when i was leaving--I had to walk
a ways the outside of the building which has those wide, yellow lines painted (NO parking). It was also drizzling.
Without any thought--as I took a step--I went down--and as is automatic--on one of my knees.
Because I was wearing heavy, warm pants--i did not rip off my skin too much--but the top layer on my knee got
such a nasty scrape/burn that it took the top layer of my skin off. it is still trying to re-grow. All red...

Simce my "crocs" are smooth on the bottom--and the yellow painted lines were slick--I just went flying.
It happened in a split second! A man from behind cane over and said--"Are you al right"???
I said It's OK--but I will not be able to get up so easily. So he just put his hands under my armpits and lifted me up.
WoW! i an NO featherweight!

in general--I fear like crazy falling--especially landing on my knees--as they are both replaced and I dread what my
happen if I fall too hard. Don't want to think about it!!!
I am very careful even in my own garden--as the concrete floor that extends outside my patio roof can get slick
when it has algae on it. Or a wet spot on my kitchen floor. One just never expects to slip--and then it is too late.I could NEVER garden in my flip-flops!!! I have a collection of old tennis shoes for that job.
G.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9383846

Teri, I remember your wrist and the Crocs and I'm sure you do too in this weather. Gita, I know exactly what you mean about painted lines being slick, every-time I see a crosswalk painted with those slash marks I cringe for how many seniors may be injured using them. Some surfaces are just treacherous under different conditions. Our back deck can be like black ice with a very light frost where being wet isn't bad. Then there is always the errant sea gull flying over the stairs, as I had happen in OBX. I wasn't laughing then. Ric

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9383854

Those new "flip flops" with the contoured orthotic (?) sole plates and the extra instep straps and the treaded soles are nothing like the flat flimsy flip flops. You can tell the difference immediately. Foot is secure feeling.

I have a beginners balance board that we bought after therapy for my ankle. Really fun to try and not to easy to get right. It's a square board with 2 wheels imbedded underneath. Only tilts 2 ways. The ones with the balls underneath can tilt 360 and are much more difficult to manage.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2013
7:00 PM

Post #9384077

That's the kind of flip flips I have -- two pairs of the firm ones with contoured soles. I love them.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9384097

Sounds like an injury discussion thread ;-). Hope you are ok, Gita. I never knew those painted lines were slippery. Must be careful from now on.

Had my ankle surgery 4 days ago to get a ligament reconstructed. Now I am sitting in bed, completely bored. The splint is very heavy, but it will be replaced with a lighter cast next week. So I stay hopeful.

My winter/spring seed planting plan is plant nothing :-(. Oh well. I should be able to walk properly just in time for spring garden work.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9384102

Do yours have the velcro straps? Here's a pic of my tevas. They last a long time, very durable. Like birkenstocks, I wear them with socks, too.

Thumbnail by coleup

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9384109

They DO look durable, Judy.

Where do you buy them and how much do they cost?

I always need to know the price...frugal me.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
4:08 AM

Post #9384237

The sandals I wear the most are Keen Newport H2, they are rather similar to Judy's Tevas. They are a "sport" sandal, made for every sort of outdoor activity, and man are they rugged!! I muck through all sorts of slop at work, and I never slip or slide when I'm wearing them, and having that bad right ankle (which has been broken FIVE times!), I am really picky about support. I feel completely supported and sturdy in these.

I got 'em 3 years ago at zappos (online), and after I hose 'em off, they look just like brand new. They can get tossed into the washer then just sit out to dry, or if you're like me, just hose your feet down while you're wearing them, and they dry really fast.
They were about $100, but that was money WELL spent as I don't see myself needing to buy another pair... ever. =)

(photo compliments of zappos website, by the way). :)

Thumbnail by speediebean

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9384280

For good prices on shoes, try "6pm.com".

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
11:18 AM

Post #9384737

Oh cool, I've never heard of them before, thank you! Saved that page! =)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9384777

I got a pair of Khombu sandaly things I wear for just about everything at DSW. Love them. In the garden I wear crocs for most things or barefoot.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9384886

OK, I give; what's DSW? < =/
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9384929

Oh Speedie, you've been missing out! :)

DSW = Designers' Shoe Warehouse.

It's a dangerous place...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
2:30 PM

Post #9384945

Ooooh, you guys do love to live dangerously, don't you!? < =P I think I'd better stay away from there, sounds scary! < =0
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9384968

Well, I just checked, and pretty much ALL of the crocus bulbs are blooming.

This is not good news at all, as we're supposed to get hit with an "arctic blast" next week, and I'll probably end up losing all of the flowers. AAARRRGGGHHHH... Only 1 week of flowers: :'(

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 9:53 PM
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9385076

You can get some good deals at DSW. I think the Khombu sandals I got were $40. A couple of years ago.

Why is it, when I go outside to do a project in the garden I get sidetracked by another thing? I know some of you have this same problem. Today's side track-I started digging out some English ivy. Why oh why did I plant this years ago? I know there is some poison ivy in one area, so I MUST take precautions when I get close.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9385094

Jan--

A frugal suggestion to you--and anyone else that works around plants that may hurt or give you a rash.

Look for an old pair of long-topped socks--like the "tube socks" of yore.
Cut off the foot part and use the top to pull over your arms--ribbed end around your wrist.
This will protect you from Poison Ivy, plants that are sticky/thorny to touch, very dirty plants...etc.

Remove and launder--and re-use. Gita
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9385166

Thank you, dear for the suggestion!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
10:31 PM

Post #9385478

oh boo donnerville- need some books/ movies/ knitting...knida glad the weather is not tempting for outside activity of any kind. Sounds like pretty steady rain tonight for some time now.

yes, Teva, couldn't remember that name. Keen is an excellent brand.

Jan, must have been meant for YOU the nicknack I saw in a gift shop today.
"Time wasted enjoyable is not wasted time" or soemthing to that effect- they phrased it cleverly )

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
3:19 AM

Post #9385533

Sally, that sounds like an adorable nicknack, where'd you see it, what gift shop? I love that saying, it sounds very "me" as well. :)

I googled "DSW" a few minutes ago and, well, I've got a Norton Internet Security package that shows the 'status' of search results on google (whether the site is safe to go to or not) ... DSW had a warning next to it... something about "E commerce safety threats". Upon further reading, it seems as though they have been caught selling counterfeit goods under the Prada name. I can't say if they have done so under any other names but... buyer beware!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9385608

YIKES!!!!

Donner, thinking of you this morning and praying you heal well.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9385762

speedie, it was a plaque in the gift shop at Balt Wash Hospital- (we were just there to eat at the deli, no worries.)

Oh here is the phrase

Time You Enjoy Wasting is Not Wasted Time
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9385839

Glad to know I haven't been wasting my time ALL these years!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9385901

Get well soon Donner, Hope to see you at the Seed Swap,

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9386074

Just came back from the doc with a new cast. Unfortunately it is not lighter than the splint as I had hoped :-(. Should have bribed the nurse for a smaller cast. Hahah!

I will have to garden vicariously for now, but I will definitely go to the swap. May need a pair of good clogs you have been talking about.

Hop, hop.

Thumbnail by donnerville

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013
12:05 PM

Post #9386078

Donner -- I'm so sorry -- what a pain that must be. How much longer do you have to wear it?

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9386101

Happy, the cast will stay on for 2 more weeks. I will wear a post-surgical boot for another 4 weeks after that. Then physical therapy :-(

This was an old injury. I sprained my ankle years ago, but thought nothing of it at the time. Then I started to sprain it again and again, and had quite a few bad falls too when the ankle just suddenly collapsed for no reason what so ever. Finally I decided that I needed to see a doctor. The doctor said the ligament was so stretch that it didn't stabilize me any more. Some arthritis (arthritis!!!) also developed in the area because the ligament was "in shreds" (his words) and other things were rubbing the bones. Lessons learned -- go see a doctor immediately if something is wrong. I know at least 2 people with similar problems and they are not seeing doctors.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2013 9:19 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9386128

Sally---OUCH...OUCH...OUCH!

Been there--done that. Funny story: (well--not exactly!).

Back in the early 80's, I broke my own leg. NO! I did not take a hammer and beat myself up--
I slipped on ice stepping off a curb (picking my then younger daughter up from Brownies),
I went flying and my left leg went under me and I fell right on top of it...Crunch!

I was the last Mom to pick her up--and there was no one else there. So--I hobbled to my car
and drove home. Glad I had automatic transmission!
Hobbled inside--my hubby was not home. He was out playing handball.
So--I sat on the sofa, my leg elevated on a chair, and waited for 2 hours.
When he walked in--I just said: "You have to take me to the hospital--I just broke my leg...
Luckily--it was NOT the ankle (very complicated to break that one)--it was the fibula bone(??)--
the one on the outside of the leg, just above the ankle.

So, I also spent a couple months in a cast. Of course--knowing me--After a couple weeks, when I got
my "walking cast'--I never slowed down. I was so active, i wore out the bottoms of two times and they had to
re-tape it. After all that, my foot part of the cast looked pretty fat.

I crocheted little toe covers (it was winter) that matched most of my outfits and partied on.

Sally--I wanted to send you a Get Well e-card--but I did not have your e-mail address.
So--I went to Jacquie Lawson and chose one--then copied the URL and will attach it
here as a link. I do not know if that will open the card--but here it is:

http://www.jacquielawson.com/preview.asp?cont=1&hdn=5&pv=3292611&path=83552

Wishing you a speedy recovery, friend! Gita

YES!!! It worked!!!! There just isn't anything in the "message scroll"...
You know it would have been full of best wishes!!!

This message was edited Jan 15, 2013 3:53 PM

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9386139

Little "toe covers to match my outfits"...you never cease to amaze me, Gita. I sprained my ankle and "shredded" some ligaments. Saw the doctor a year later when I couldn't put my foot down on the floor anymore. He said told me that that kind of damage really needs time to diagnose. Put me in a boot for 4 months. No surgery because I was already past the age where I'd really be putting athletic strain on it. Worked out fine. Only have a problem if I go barefoot or spend too much time in shoes with no arch support. The new flip flop type sandals with all the support now make it possible for me to wear sandals again without getting into trouble.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013
1:13 PM

Post #9386164

Roses--I have been dealing with what you describe now for 2 years.

I have had "Plantar Facitis" and need to wear sole inserts in all the shoes I wear.
It started out being diagnosed as a tear in one of the ligaments under the 3rd toe.
My Dr. did all kinds of soft cut-outs to glue under the ball of my foot. Then I did it myself.
I believe that may have healed bu now--but I have not been back to tht dr. for 2 years now.
He said--you can come back on an "as needed" basis. I haven't "needed"...but a follow up
would not hurt.
Hence--I cannot wear flip-flops, flats, or any other "normal" shoe. Have a closet-full of them...

I have inserts that give me arch support and cushioning under the toes in all my shoes--even my "crocs"...
It has gotten better over time--but i do not dare start running around barefoot or anything like that.
Luckily--my usual attire is sweat pants and my slick "crocs"...At work--it is tennis shoes.

Gita

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9386194

Ouch, ouch, Gita and Roses.

Gita, thank you for the lovely card. So pretty! Very thoughtful of you.

Roses, you saw the doctor a year later. It is embarrassing to admit that I actually left it for 13 years :-(.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2013 6:20 PM

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9386296

Donner, OH MY GOODNESS, I had to read back to realize what I'd missed. BIG get-well hugs for you!!!!!!!! And, tsk tsk tsk, waiting so long! < ;P (yeah, I just had to throw that in there, heehee).

I've broken my own right ankle 5 times, each time in a cast.. the first time it happened I was walking. Yeah, nothing more exciting than walking, across a street, stepped in a pot-hole "just wrong" and went down right in the middle of the street. I was 15 and was on the way to school, and thankfull I was with my cousin, so he ran into the grammar school that was right across the street to call my Mom. The rest of the times that I've broken it were just as idiotic, I won't embarrass myself by telling the details. (hopping back and forth from foot-to-foot in a parking lot trying to keep warm... on a FLAT SURFACE! Come on!!!! At a church retreat, no less! Spent the rest of the retreat in a cast on crutches. HAHAA!!)... anyway... yes, joints can be oh so much fun, huh? < =D

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9386375

Speedie! Five times!!! Ouch! Do you wear an ankle brace now? I did it for several months before the surgery, and will consider wearing it again. It will give you some support when you work in the garden.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9386392

Errrr.. ummm.. uuhhh... no, I don't wear one. < =/ Heh heh. But I don't roller skate or ice skate anymore! =)
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9386442

Oh ouch! Donnerville, I hope you recover fully this time. I was told that these ankle injures take forever to heal properly.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9386475

Hugs to your poor ankle, DonnerSally. I've been trying to think of movie and book suggestions but thats so varied.
THe last book I read was Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. I liked it.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013
6:13 PM

Post #9386557

Speaking of books, Sally, my husband just bought me The Hobbit. He wanted me to read the book first so that we could watch Lord of the Rings together.

I do not read fictions very often, but I love Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series very much and have converted a few friends into loyal Gabaldon followers. People who enjoy historical novels will like her books.

Cutting for Stone has got very good reviews on amazon. I will check it out. Thank you.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2013
4:29 AM

Post #9386815

I'll try The Hobbit and Cutting for Stone on your recommendations, also. Need something good to read for my friend Millie and I while she stays with me to change the scenery.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9387311

I loved the Hobbit when it was on my highschool required reading.
THe Gabaldon books look like something I would not usually choose, but I WILL with your recommendation, donner.

Cutting for Stone will take you to another continent. I liked getting that feel of a totally different place and time.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
12:24 PM

Post #9387323

Just found that by going to My Tools, Preferences, DG Picture, I can chose from a couple dosen pictures to appear along the top of the home page. I chose Cardinal for now. Be sure to select, then go al the way down to save it.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
1:13 PM

Post #9387385

Oh that's very cool, I didn't know we could do that! Wheeeee, I've got Coleuses now!
< =D Thank you Sally!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9387546

I have that cute little cottage up now.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9387715

Nifty ! Now i have to check out your choices. The horse in the snow tempted me too and so fid the brug...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
7:23 PM

Post #9387719

I just changed mine to snowy horse
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9387761

Quick question, when is the spring swap?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
3:55 AM

Post #9387876

Ss, it's Feb 9th. (it's on my calendar in BLACK SHARPIE). ;P

WHEEEEEEE, we're expected to get SNOOWWWW down here today!!! I'm snow excited!!! heeheeheee

The National Weather Service says it's supposed to hit the hardest down my way, south of DC, 'cause it's coming up from the South, so I could potentially get as many as 8" by 1:00 tonight/tomorrow morning. YIPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally, Winter weather!!!! I shall go do lots of Happy Dancing now. You all have a WONDERFUL day, see ya's later! < =D
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9387884

Sorry, I meant the May spring plant swap.

Speedie, I have the seed swap as Feb 16th...?

They just revised the forecast. We're (north of DC) supposed to get a dusting now. :-/

This message was edited Jan 17, 2013 8:28 AM

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
5:09 AM

Post #9387898

Oh crap, did I write it wrong on my calendar!?!? I probably did, I'm so sorry. I'm not sure when the May one will be.

This little weather snap is almost making me wish I were doing Winter Sowing... almost. ;)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2013
6:01 AM

Post #9387940

Jan is hosting a Spring Swap this year. I know she posted a date somewhere but I can't seem to remember when exactly.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013
6:18 AM

Post #9387963

I think it is the weekend before mothers day...?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9387980

Sat after Mothers Day...May 18th. Swap at Jan's.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9387988

Thank you, Judy!

I needed to plan something for May and couldn't remember when the swap was.

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9388015

Just saw this. Thanks, Judy for supplying the answer. Very excited. Think I'll wait til April to start a thread.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9388109

Oh yes, thank you Judy, I'm going to pencil it in on my calendar.. though chances are, considering what weekend it is, I'll probably be working. =(

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013
4:25 PM

Post #9388538

speedie---

WHY do you get so excited about inches and inches of snow????
I know it is beautiful...and peaceful...and very photogenic---BUT--it also means a lot of shoveling--
and many of us would have to do it ourselves--NOT having a hubby to lean on--like MOI!

I eventually get it done--but walking out in the morning to go to work--and being faced with a few
inches of snow and a buried car--is NOT fun!!! Besides--it would make me late for work--if i am working that day...

I don't worry about driving--as I am a careful, patient driver in bad weather--and also because I have
a Subaru Outback. Most reliable! No road rage with me--NEVER!!! Leave that to the looney ones!

susan--that would have been FUNNNNNY if you showed up for the seed swap on the 9th.
You would be the only one...but still have a yummy lunch at Chef Lins.

Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9388649

I LOVE snow! I know it is hard to deal with the accumulation, but it is so beautiful and the air feels so crisp!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9388670

I love the drama and novelty of snow...as long as no obligation to be anywhere too quickly!
Few years ago we had snow on xmas eve. How wonderful when we took a crisp silent night walk in it.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
6:47 PM

Post #9388676

Donnerville heres a movie i loved
Lars and the Real Girl
Sounds kinky but it is not. Ryan Gosling eye candy in a delightful quirky and touching romance. Im sure you would like it.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9388744

Sally, thanks. I will see if I can find it on-demand from Verizon Fios.

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9389465

SS, I was just thinking about your fence. How has it been working for you?
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9389531

The fence is great! Thanks for asking, Jan. :) The dogs were very much triggered by sight, and since they can't see me anymore, they don't even bark when I'm out there (unless I'm making a ton of noise right by the fence).

It's a big wall of white vinyl, though, so it desperately needs plants to cover it up. I planted a couple of viburnums, a couple of tall grasses, a hydrangea, and an interesting Japanese conifer. I definitely need some more evergreens to cover that white wall! I'll post pictures when it warms up.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9389566

Good news on you peaceful enjoyment of your yard and those poor dogs...glad that has worked out. Bet your cat is happier, too.

Hey, I hope you have left room for those Japanese Maples and hydrangeas I'm overwintering for you! Maybe I should bring them to the seed swap and then you can watch them 'break dormancy'. maybe this cold spell will put them into a deeper sleep...

Hey Ric and Holly do you want yours early, too? Have to consult with sallyg and her van capacity!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9389572

We could get them at the seed swap if that suits you Coleup.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
4:34 PM

Post #9389587

Glad to hear you are able to ENJOY your yard, now!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9389595

[quote="Jan23"]Glad to hear you are able to ENJOY your yard, now!!! [/quote]

yeah!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9389596

Judy, yes yes yes, I have the perfect spot for the JMs and hydrangeas! (They're going in front of the future evergreens.)

I'll leave it up to you whether or not you want to bring the plants to the seed swap. I could pick them up from your place in March if that's easier for you.

And thank you so much for taking care of them!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
4:46 PM

Post #9389607

Ric and Holly, Suits me, just have to double check with sallyg to make sure ok and there is room.

And, sigh, you have to promise to take pics of them as they were almost leafless when I got them. Yeah, JM's have a tug on my heart!! Wonder how I can fill that spot when I move to Zone 4 in Vermont! How's 'Big Mama' banana doing? Did you plant her outside or is she lounging in the greenhouse?

This message was edited Jan 18, 2013 7:48 PM
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9389620

ss Great. I'll be in touch as time gets nearer. May be good to come to me to pick them up as I want to show you the really tall one you might also like.

Yep, those JMs might be better planted early Spring rather than wait til mid May!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9389633

Do you have a time frame for the move to VT?

Our oldest son's family in Oregon is increasing. They have gotten the papers for legal guardianship of Markus. He has been spending weekends with them and comes full-time on the 26th. There is a six month waiting period before the adoption can be finalized. I can hardly wait to meet him. He is 6 yrs old. There are some developmental issues, but they will have him tested. Having gone through this with their oldest son, they feel they can deal with it. They have always felt that their family should be larger. After several miscarriages, God has been opening doors for Markus to join them. And he is already potty trained. Heehee!! Please pray for his adjustment and theirs. My 15yr old grandson is very tall, but his social age is closer to 9 so this will be good for him. And Hope is now 11 and can hardly wait to babysit. We are very blessed.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9389645

Oh Judy, I forgot that you were moving. We're going to miss you :'(

I can't wait to see your plants!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9389703

No real time fame Jan except to say it's overdue as grandsons are growing up so fast. Not easy to 'transplant' a life especially without an economic financial crystal ball. Here, as long as physical holds up, I can support myself but Soc Sec benefits won't cover daily living expenses up there...Oh, and I'm not sure how many round trips my van will make to transport my stuff...which consists of lots of plants! lol, will have to continue my own personal root pruning on this end.

Neat how families grow and extend and fill in isn't it. Blessings to you and yours Jan!

This message was edited Jan 18, 2013 9:13 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9389760

Well, One of Big Mama's Pup's is lounging in the GH but the Grand Old Dame was planted at the edge of the compost pile along with a friend and then we covered both of them with a few feet of leaves.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9389934

They do grow up sooo fast, coleup!! I hear you about wanting to be near them.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9389987

Judy--

Could you rent a truck to move? Like--HD rents Penskis.
Wonder if it can be returned anywhere? Maybe at the local HD in Vermont?

Many of them can be eqipped to tow your car from behind. G.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9390706

My you guys have been busy - so many new threads to enjoy. True to my MO, I didn't realize how long it has been AGAIN since I've gotten on DG and how much I've missed. I don't think I've touched base since the holiday. I have the coolest thing to share. Finding perfect gifts is tricky, and it is such a great feeling to give or receive one. Mike hit it out of the park with this wonderful concrete turtle that he gave me for Christmas. Most people think I'm not quite right in the head to love this thing more than I ever would jewelry or other traditional feminine treats, but I know you guys will understand LOL.

We put it along the driveway where you drive through the creek. You need to slow down there, so it is a perfect spot - I grin every time I pass it. Can't wait to enhance the location this spring with ferns and chelone - aka TURTLE HEADs - HA HA HA

Thumbnail by aspenhill   Thumbnail by aspenhill   Thumbnail by aspenhill   Thumbnail by aspenhill   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2013

Post #9390737

He's cool! I hope you get a nice stand of Chelone going heh heh

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
9:21 PM

Post #9390847

I'm watching Scruffy again - the cutest little Westie. I've got the TV on as background noise, and a frickin rooster just crowed on it. Woke Scruffy up out of a dead sleep, and has him all agitated. Too funny. Well that didn't last long, he just settled back down in his sleeping spot. He'll be here all week - my friends are in the Napa Valley, doing the wine tour thing. What a great time of year for a vacation like that.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2013
4:41 AM

Post #9390921

We do understand your excitement over your garden turtle, Terri. My neighbors think I'm looney when I get a new load of "dirt" (topsoil to go over our clay). They women tell me that the "D" that I ask for should be "Diamonds" instead.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9390995

LOL what a group we are.
Apenhill, Love that turtle he is great.
Roses I would take a load of dirt over diamonds any day.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9391047

compost/ diamonds- carbon either way right? I vote dirt!

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
9:00 AM

Post #9391134

Cute turtle!! Would love to have it in my garden along with any amount of top soil :-)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9391185

Aspen, your turtle is AWESOME!!! Love his cute smiley little face!! I'm with you, that is a wonderful gift, better than jewelry any day! (I'd wonder who that man is and what he did with my Hubby if my DH ever showed up with JEWELRY for me, quite frankly... he knows better! heeheeheee)

Sorry I've been away for a few days too, been workin' my butt off around the house, first getting ready to lay the tile for the bathroom floor (pre-cutting and then "dry fitting") on Friday, then repairing a leaky toilet yesterday (ended up having to replace the flange and part of the pipe beneath it, UGH!!), then today we finally got that tile LAID for real! Marble tile is a PAIN IN THE DUPA, let me just tell you!! Now we just wait for the thin set to dry well, then grout, and we'll have to replace that toilet plumbing like we did the other bathroom (turns out the tile sitting higher than the old linoleum was causing the troubles)... THEN we can finish the bathroom... cabinet, sink, etc.

So, here it is, the "before" and "after"... YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean   

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9391211

Marble tile might be a PAIN IN THE DUPA, but it sure looks great. LOL

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9391218

Yes, dirt over diamonds any day!!! I knew this was the one place where I wouldn't get the raised eyebrows and the "are you serious???" look LOL. Speedie - marble is so classic, I love it. Looks like you've done a great job too. Great place for the toilet - you can take a shower and do your bizness at the same time HA HA HA.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2013
11:58 AM

Post #9391365

Marble is always good, anytime...anywhere. Looks great.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
2:34 PM

Post #9391531

LOVE the turtle. Sounds like you have it in the perfect spot, too.

Nice tile work, speedie!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9391740

great job Suze!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9391807

GO RAVENS!!!!!! 23 TO 13 WIN!!!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
7:32 PM

Post #9391827

I still don't believe it!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2013
3:17 AM

Post #9392024

Thank you thank you, but I gotta say, 99.9% of the credit and kudos go to DH, I was the gopher... and I occasionally lent my 'eye'; 'yeah, scootch that one about 1/8" toward the tub' (you know, the one with THE TOILET IN IT, HAA!!). Well, where else ya gonna store a toilet for the duration? ;) Lay out an old crappy towel (no pun intended) and pop that toity right on top of it; perfectly out of the way.

Gita!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVEN'T WATCHED THE GAME YET!!!!!!!!!!!!! We record as much football as we can (directv with dvr ROCKS!), then watch at our leisure, zipping past those pesky commercials. (Whee!!). We watched the first game last evening, then plan to watch the Ravens game this evening. Well, at least I know my "pick" won! < =D (Ssshhhh, don't tell DH that I know the outcome already!) We also make our "picks" every week during football season.. ALL games, ALL season long. He beat me by 3 games this season. =(
Now I'll be CHEERING on Ray Lewis all the way through the Superbowl.. I know, I'm a Steelers fan, not supposed to cheer on the Ravens, but who can possibly NOT love Ray Lewis!?!? Not me, that's for sure! =)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9392158

speedie---

I NEVER watch any games either...Las night--as I watched "Roots"--I was checking back
to the game just to see the score.

It is wild at HD when a big game like this is coming up.
For one--there are hardly any customers--the business just dies! Oh, there are the few that need purple lights
and some such--but not many.

However--yesterday I saw a big plant I have never seen before- "Tacca Chantrieri--"Bat Plant".
It looked like a Spath Sensation--leaves just like it--but had these weird, black, whiskered blooms.
Google "Bat Plant--black" and check out the "images" in the upper left corner. WOWSA!!!
Seems we got 6 of them in.-in 10" pots. When I left at 6PM, there was just one left.
To me it was the "ugliest" thing I have ever seen!.
Here is a link to it--you can find more--but this shows the bloom well...

http://stokestropicals.plants.com/Tacca-chantrieri-Black-Bat-Plant-P263.aspx

http://davesfiles.com/Plants/Tacca/Bat_Flower_FAQ.htm

edited to add another link.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2013 9:47 AM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9392249

Gita, I sure do like that will have to check out our local HD and see if we have any. Yea, just what I need more plants. LOL
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9392537

Heehee
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9392555

Anyone checkout the new Garden Showcase section? Haighr's lovely garden is featured.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9392673

Holly, I didn't even notice it - thanks for pointing it out. You should add an album for your garden. I'm going to try making one too.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9392706

I will go see Candee's. HollyRic and aspenhill also deserve a spotlight.

sheesh, trying to work on an article but its way too easy to keep checking all these threads.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9392766

Ok, I made an album on the new Garden Showcase feature. It was pretty easy. The only issue that I had was that for every 4 or 5 photos uploaded, 1 wouldn't go. I had to try some of them multiple times before they took. Maybe just my internet connection.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9392851

Might take me awhile even till next summer before I can do one. After the computer crash I still have my saved pictures. Yes, 1,000's of them but I can only pull them up one at a time to look at them. Ric gave me a new laptop for Christmas and a new Photo program to play with.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9392862

Aspenhill your showcase is fabulous!
luvsgrtdanes also put some photos up, so pretty, of fancy morning glories.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
5:20 PM

Post #9392866

Sally, thanks for the kind words. I saw luvsgrtdanes album - those morning glories are really pretty. I've had seeds for a few years that I haven't done anything with yet because I wasn't sure where to put them. I'll have to ask Ronnie how she does hers. I bought some deer netting late last fall thinking that I'll attach it between trees that are at the edge of the side lawn and let the morning glories ramble on it. Hopefully the seeds are still viable?

Hey, when you were looking at the different albums, did you have any problems where the picture didn't change but the captions did as you moved forward or backward? Either there is something a little quirky with the new feature or it is just me and maybe a flaky connection. Went back to the showcase feature feedback and saw that they recommend FF - they haven't optimized the other browsers yet - I'm using IE, maybe that is the problem.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2013 9:39 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9392986

How do I get to see someone's Showcase Garden?
I looked--but could not find yours --aspenhill.

Help! Gita

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
7:50 PM

Post #9393022

Gita, there is a "Garden Showcase" tab right below the DG title pic. Or you can click on this link: http://davesgarden.com/showcase/

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
7:55 PM

Post #9393036

Gita,
You can see it by scrolling thru the "Recently Added". Once it falls off as more albums are added, I'm not sure how you would get to it. Sally posted that question in the showcase feedback section, and I chimed in - neither one of us saw any easy way to get to a specific member's album.

This is the link to mine if you can't find it thru the Showcase.
http://davesgarden.com/showcase/album/view/3361

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
4:36 AM

Post #9393351

[quote="Gitagal"]speedie---

I NEVER watch any games either...Las night--as I watched "Roots"--I was checking back
to the game just to see the score.
[/quote]

I think you need to re-read my post.. we watch ALL the games we can fit in, but we record them, then watch them when we want to LATER, so we can FFW through the commercials. ;) LOVE football, HATE commercials.

And the final score: 28-13 RAVENS. A 21-point shut-out in the second half, WHEEEEEEE!!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9394029

RosesRRed has her garden up now- Look to the right in the Top gardener list. Beautiful!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
5:53 PM

Post #9394134

Speedie and other Ravens fans. In celebration between now and Super Bowl, our local grocery deli dept is having a special on Ravens Cole Slaw It is made with just enough red cabbage added in that, you guessed it, it is purple!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
5:55 PM

Post #9394138

I just finished looking at RosesRRed's garden in the Showcase. Wonderful. Such a green thumb - everything is so lush, and I especially love the roses! I know she started with the blank slate of an expanse of grass at a new home, and what she has been able to accomplish in a few years is incredible. A lot of hours must have gone into the making of it.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
8:18 PM

Post #9394274

Everyone--
I just wanted to tell you that Tapla (Al) has, sort of agreed to come over to the MAF
and "do his thing" with his endless knowledge on soils and drainage and all that.

I started a new Thread just so we can all pick his brain.
Please come visit and ask away...G. Hoping he will stay a while...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295008/

Are you all, that have one, keeping your eye on your Clivia?
Mine is really progressing quickly to bloom. This was taken a few days ago--
it is now showing some color.
Will show you--and hope terp is looking...Yoooo--Hooooo..
Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
2:24 AM

Post #9394398

Al's coming to hang out at our place!? WOOHOOOO!!!! Thank you Gita, you're a GEM!!!

Heeheeheee, cool cole slaw!! Funny, I'm actually a STEELERS fan, but can't help but love those Ravens guys, their Faith makes them irresistibly beautiful! =)

OK, gonna go head over to say 'HI!' to Al now, Whee!! =)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2013
5:18 AM

Post #9394447

None of mine are up yet. I stopped the dormancy period right what I got them from you. Should be interesting to see if they bloom.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9394452

11*F this AM. The birds have been sucking the feeders dry. I guess in an attempt to stay warm. It's just bitter out there. Ric
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2013
5:50 AM

Post #9394474

Winter has finally reared its face...

I'm usually refreshed by it the first day or two.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9394499

The GH has ice on the inside frame and the panels look frosted. I don't feel refreshed, I feel like Ralphie's little brother Randy in "A Christmas Story", I can't put my arms down. LOL Ric
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9394513

Keep that tongue in your mouth!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9394575

Paul--
I think they bloom when they feel like it. It is earlier than usual--one of mine just got impatient...:o)
If I remember--all the ones, except the small one, I gave you bloomed last year.

One of the two I kept is blooming. The other one--still no sign. They are both upstairs now by my window.
They are both multi-stemmed and good size.
Basically--I ignore mine and don't fuss over them any.

The next "crunch" will come when my 6 pots of Amaryllis decide to "wake up".
They have been cut back and top-dressed. Just waiting...
Where, oh where, will I put them??????? Will have to work the re-arrangement magic again.

Frigid here too- This Am at 9, the wind chill was 2*. I am off all week--hours cut.
Will cook something...Work on my seeds...all wonderful, leisurely activities...
Gita

Pictures--memories of February 2010! Was it ONLY 2 years ago?????

Paul---The last picture is just for YOU!!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9394593

Hmm well that is a relief gita. I just figured they didn't get enough of a dormancy period. I will continue to neglect them.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9394699

Good memory, Terri.

These were the "gardens" 6 years ago.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED   Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED   Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED   Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED   Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9394727

My clivia not budding yet but i feel confident it will. Just not yet. Growing well.
That was three years ago. But who s counting?

im refreshed while the sun shines. And frigid in clouds or dark.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9394810

R_R_R, your gardens are amazing, more so after looking at the before pictures. WOW!!

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2013
11:01 AM

Post #9394878

Thanks, Cat. We retired when we moved here, so we needed something to do!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
1:39 PM

Post #9397460

So, I'm walking across the parking, face getting sandblasted by wind driven snow particles, and repeating my mantra...Its Refreshing! Its Refreshing!
Thanks Terp!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
5:41 AM

Post #9397938

Now there's a great visual, thank you!! < =D **giggle**
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9397963

It IS refreshing!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9398077

So is hosing off buckets and tools in 20-degree temps! < =D

THE BATHROOM FLOOR IS DONE!!!!!!!!! Wanna see!? Yeah, you do! =)

Here's what she looks like now, and Wheewwww, what a relief!!

Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean      

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9398114

Speedie, That looks great.
LOL Sally, I had a refreshing day yesterday walking from the parking lot to my job yesterday. DD Jen is training for a Marathon and hates to run on the treadmill so she has been doing her training outside in this frigid weather. One particularly windy day she told me she felt like she was running and running and not going anywhere.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9398137

[quote="HollyAnnS"] One particularly windy day she told me she felt like she was running and running and not going anywhere. [/quote]

She may have been! ;)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9398152

hahaha
Great floor speedy!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9398203

Anyone signed up for Groupon???

There is one for Longwood Gardens!!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
11:48 AM

Post #9398237

Nice job, speedie!!

Not the flu, but, I got DH's mess! Sinus, ugh!!!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9398253

Speedie - the floor turned out great. I absolutely love marble and your pattern layout shows the color variation off to advantage.

I'm with Paul - I like the cold crisp weather, just don't want it to go on and on and will be more than ready for spring. I rarely even wear a coat going from house to car to work building and misc store stops. I keep one with me in case I break down or something, but I hate the bulk and feel the cold air is refreshing. Lucketts has a few inches accumulated from the snow flurries over the last few days - it is snowing lightly right now too. Stay warm everyone, and EMBRACE that fresh cold air when you do have to venture out LOL...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2013

Post #9398655

LOL Speedie, Well it was (only) a 7 mile run so I am sure that the extra wind resistance was good for her training. LOL

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
4:02 AM

Post #9398817

HollyAnn, admit it, she was on her treadmill and the video screen loop was stuck at "Dog Park". LOL!!! (oh, and that "breeze"? A BIG NASA FAN!!) Haaahahahaaa!!!

Just Kidding!!!!! < =D

Thank you for the compliments on the floor, it was a real challenge but a lot of FUN!! And I now have officially and truly earned the name "Groutbag". =) (eg: "Heya, what's for dinner tonight, Groutbag?") < =D

I'm with (and like) Aspen... I HATE bulky outerwear and steer clear of it when at all possible. I had errands to run the other day (it was in the low 20's that day).. had to load up the back of the truck with "clean-out-the-basement-JUNK" for a trip to the dump... so my sweat jacket was the perfect outerwear of choice. =) (I HATE long sleeves of ANY sort as well). Tank top, T-shirt, then sweat jacket UN-zipped with sleeves pushed up. Ready to EMBRACE the REFRESHING air! =)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
11:18 AM

Post #9399159

Link Alert- Today I am noticing some oddball Links in highlighted, underlined text, such as the word now. You may not want to open these as they are probably just ads.
EDIT-- Aha, this just happened on another site so it may be my computer- grrrr uggghhh.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2013 9:49 PM

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
12:01 PM

Post #9399196

Don't forget that Bill's Caladiums4Less DG 15% discount promo is getting ready to end (31 Jan). I put my order in a few minutes ago. Pretty good deal... (Note the promo code didn't work until the final stages of checkout)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289645/
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9399197

I have seen them before a few years ago. If you remember where you saw them let the DG staff know.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
12:05 PM

Post #9399198

I'm putting my order together today, too. Boy there sure are some really pretty new ones, too.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9399552

Speaking of lotus, has anybody ever been to the Kensington water gardens?!? I think that is what it is called. I heard about this evening, it apparently has acres of ponds and beautiful lotus blooms in August.

When I find the website I'll post it.

Oops I meant Kenilworth.
http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/wash/dc95.htm

This message was edited Jan 27, 2013 10:47 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9399555

No I haven't, been to Lilyponds a few years ago.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9399589

Went last spring but its really best in August, I hear. No lilies blooming early summer.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
8:12 PM

Post #9399604

When we go South down 295 there is a section I think Rt 50 that has a sign Aquatic Gardens. I have always wanted to stop and see what it was. Is that where you are talking about?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9399864

I believe so.
http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/wash/dc95.htm

Kenilworth Gardens are locally important today as a part of Washington's Park System, its greater significance lies in its contribution to the botanical study and development of water plants and gardens under the direction of its founder, W.B. Shaw and his daughter, L. Helen Fowler. It continues today as a noted water garden under the National Park Service.

After the Civil War, 37 acres of this land were bought as a farm by W.B. Shaw, a war veteran who had come to Washington to work in the Treasury Department. Shaw pursued his hobby, the growing of water lilies, on the marshy sections of his land. He imported 12 hardy American white lilies, from his native Maine and grew them in an abandoned ice pond. As the lilies thrived, Shaw dug more ponds and began to experiment in hybridization. In 1912, Shaw and his daughter, Helen Shaw Fowler, began to sell their lilies commercially and daily shipped thousands of 63 varieties of hand-picked lilies, to Chicago, Boston and New York. During his lifetime, Shaw was responsible for developing many new varieties of lily, among them the Pink Opal and W.B. Shaw and the Helen Fowler water lily varieties, all still grown commercially today. The "Shaw Gardens" produced lilies available nowhere else in the country in the marsh's 35 different types of soil.

Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens
NPS Photo
Mrs. Fowler, who ran the business after Mr. Shaw's death in 1921, agreed to permit the public to view the lilies on Sunday mornings during the height of the season. During the 1920s and 30s, visitors numbered as many as 5-6,000 per day. Even though it was one of the largest lily farms in the world, the Shaw property was particularly attractive because it had been left almost entirely in its natural state.

In 1924, Mrs. Fowler was persuaded to permit local residents to attempt to have the ponds brought under public ownership; among the most enthusiastic supporters was Mrs. Calvin Coolidge who, along with President and Mrs. Wilson, was a frequent visitor to the gardens. The extent of the gardens remains essentially unchanged from 1938, the year they ceased operation as a commercial enterprise and became part of the National Park system.

Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens is located in northeast Washington, DC, near the Maryland boundary along the tidal Anacostia River. The entrance to the Aquatic Gardens is just west of I-295 (Kenilworth Avenue), between Quarles and Douglas Sts., on Anacostia Ave. It is open daily from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm. For more information call 202/426-6905. The Gardens are not within close proximity to a Metro station.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2013 9:10 AM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9399890

We really should come down to see them this summer. In our area we have a huge stand of American Water Lotus at one of our Wildlife areas. It is beautiful to see in the summer and the smell is heavenly.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9399909

Let's pencil in a group thing for summer. But be aware that the neighborhood looks pretty sketchy, and you will probably not want to eat at any of the fast food places nearby. Could bring picnic or adjourn to College Park/ Greenbelt area for eats.

National Arboretum is very close. Kenilworth by itself would not take a whole afternoon.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2013
8:41 AM

Post #9400087

Sounds like a great idea, Kenilworth and the National Arboretum with lunch. Yes that is the one I have seen the neighborhood looks pretty sketchy from the highway.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
8:59 AM

Post #9400112

The national arboretum is in a terrible area as well. there are designated picnic areas at the national arboretum and their new visitor center will be open next week. They have been in a trailor for a few years now waiting.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9400410

There is Security in the property so do not worry about your vehicles while we walk. Lots and lots of regular nice people use the Arboretum.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9402047

I love love love the Arboretum. Never saw anything sketchy inside it.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9403777

Happy happy Birthday Flowajen!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296300/

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9403888

Thanks!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9403993

OH BOY OH BOY, HAPPY BIRFDAY FLOWA!!!!!!!! < =D

Thumbnail by speediebean

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9404110

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Jen, Happy Birthday to you!!! Hope it is a good one.

I actually went by the National Arboretum trying to get home from work today - unintentionally LOL. I work in Southeast DC and live in Northern VA. Normal route is Southeast/Southwest freeway and over 14th street bridge into VA. If there are traffic backups, there are alternate routes - like getting to the beltway right before the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and then into VA. However, I didn't LISTEN to the traffic report before I got started, and ended smack in the middle of a huge backup on the Southeast/Southwest freeway. After 40 minutes, I had barely moved. I decided to get off on an unfamiliar exit ramp into DC just to get out of the traffic jam - figuring it would come out somewhere that I would recognize. Well, it turned into New York Avenue and then ?, but at least I was moving. Before I knew it, I was going by the National Arboretum - so that is where it is (not that I could find it again by the long out of the way route I took LOL) I finally came out on the beltway at Route 50, and 1 1/2 hours after I left work, I was back where I started from if I had just gone the beltway route in the first place. Three hour commute, but it was an adventure...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9404157

Hey Terri you almost made it to my house! There was a huge back up on Rt 50 eastbound due to high winds on the Bay Bridge.

Given that the Nat Arboretum is such a close straight shot for me it's a wonder I haven't been there more often.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2013
5:19 PM

Post #9404200

Judy, when I saw Route 50 I jokingly thought I should just keep going to the ocean and skip work tomorrow LOL. Glad I didn't, otherwise I would have been smack in the middle of yet another backup - oh, the joys of Washington DC and surrounding area traffic... Back to the National Arboretum - yes, definitely lets make this a MAG get together - I'm in!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2013

Post #9404342

thanks for the b-day wishes

I def do not like getting lost in DC

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
7:32 PM

Post #9404352

[quote="flowAjen"]

I def do not like getting lost in DC[/quote]

I went to U MD for four years and worked a part time job with travel around that area. I think mostly its about having some familiarity with the major roads, so you know you'll run into something you know. Of course there are areas in any big city where you don't feel comfortable lingering.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
4:24 AM

Post #9404553

One day, aeons ago, (before he got a work truck), DH was doing some (electrical) work in DC on Pennsylvania Ave.. his (personal) truck had broken down and I had to go pick him up. This was before we had cell phones, by the way. So, there I was, driving up and down Penn Ave, making U-turns RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE WHITE HOUSE, back and forth, for HOURS... eventually I had to go home to get ready for work (afternoon shift)... and it turned out he'd gotten a ride home with a co-worker but had no way to contact me to let me know. WOW, try to imagine even getting ONTO that section of Pennsylvania Ave now, let alone making U-turns up and down it in front of the White House for hours! Haaahahahaahaaa!!

I pray for all of you who have to work in DC, it's not a treat of a drive! < =/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9404774

thats funny Suze, you'd be hauled out, cuffed and locked up!!!!!!!!!!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
9:57 AM

Post #9404865

You got that right!! And they would NEVER believe me!! "But b-b-but, I'm just looking for my Darling Hubby!!! He's really really REALLY tall (as I stand on my tip-toes with my arm above my head), got brown hair, gorgeous hazel eyes, and probably has a shirt pocket full of wirenuts ... have you seen my Sweetie!?!?" < ='/

... A Likely Story, Lady!!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
11:00 AM

Post #9404932

Speedie, great story - love it HA HA HA.

My commute is definitely a challenge, but there have been some pretty cool things that I've seen that counter balance the headaches..

Driving thru DC at 0530 am, and seeing the Lincoln, Washington, and Jefferson memorials/monuments lit up against the surrounding darkness. At that time of the morning, not much traffic there and you can almost feel alone on the road. Most days it just blends in to commuter zombie unawareness, but every once in a while it strikes me as spectacular and inspirational - my own personal show.

Being on Independence Avenue on a beautiful spring late afternoon when the cherry blossoms are in full bloom 10 feet from my travel lane. I open my window to catch the fragrances and the fresh spring air as the cherry blossoms float in the breeze covering my car and wafting thru the window.

Many years ago, I left work at twilight in a snow blizzard. As I approached the capitol, there were lighting bolts flashing about the capitol dome - what an eerie and awesome sight. Have never seen snow and lighting together before or since.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9405016

That sounds great Teri, such a nice drive. My uncle was a interstate bus driver (pre GPS) and he taught me how to navigate basically any city, memorize 2-4 streets and your relationship to them and you know where you are. That made NYC a breeze. In DC, he told me to use 17th, Constitution, and to always remember where the GW monument was, that always worked for me. That was till I got to Miami on a trip to the Keys about 20 years ago. The signage was so confusing we ended up circling in a bad part of town, so bad that there was an armed security guard in the local Burger King! He gave me directions and advise to get the "heck" outta' Dodge. It ended being the long way around, but we didn't care, especially since Miami was then the murder capitol of the world at the time. I swear it was worse than being lost in Camden, NJ. LOL Ric
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
1:50 PM

Post #9405136

My hellebores are blooming! :) Anyone else?

I've had them for nearly 2 years, but this is the first time I've had blooms. These stinkers certainly take their time getting established!

And the crocus that started blooming 2 weeks ago weren't damaged by the 15 degree nights we had last week!

It's a good thing I can't order spring blooming bulbs right now. I'm tempted to buy a 1000 more for the whole front yard.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9405151

I just checked - no hellebores blooming here yet. No snowdrops either. I can't remember when they bloomed last year, I should keep better track.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
3:57 PM

Post #9405278

You may have all already seen this, but it is lovely if you haven't: http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/xHkq1edcbk4?rel=0"

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9405289

I have to check my hellebores again but they weren't blooming a couple days ago, but last year they bloomed on 1/27. My snowdrops bloomed last year on 2/18 same day as some crocuses

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9405319

wow happy. That is spectacular.
Is that the same guy that did the global chorus one?

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9405326

That video is really neat.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9405774

Let's continue chatting over here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296568/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America