Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Moving from January into February

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hope you dont mind me starting a new thread. Weve been doing alot of chatting :-)

Came from
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292129/

This message was edited Jan 13, 2013 5:21 PM

Thumbnail by gardenglory
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Gosh darn it, now that I cant go back, I should have titled that Jan. part 2. Sorry about that.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the new room.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I did get a few of those blocks done too! I did yellow/ brown & some other semi-coordinating color fabric. I bought the black for the outer border but have not started on that yet.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Is anyone beside me having "problems" with Dave's today? It is so slow. Tried to post pics earlier and it just hung. Even rebooted the computer & still going very slow.

Weather has just been too nice to be inside sewing. keep thinking I'll work on these booties at nite & keep forgetting to bring the crochet hook in. Guess i could finish this last section of binding.....................

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Daves is always the slowest website I frequent. YES, it does hang up in the middle of signing on. I used to think it was my computer, but I could go to any other website and it hooked right up.

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Robin - that quilt is just awesome with the bed his g-g-grandfather made! And what a wonderful tribute to the bed! I agree - you could put another cream or brown border on it and it would look good!

Sorry that Dorothy passed, but it was to the Lord, and she's out of pain. Now, for the family to get through this... Mary is having a hard time, I'm sure. How wonderful that she got to spend these last months in the same place as Dorothy! And how awesome is it that Dorothy go to see that Marti is cancer-free! They blessed each other......

Victoria Harbour, ON

morning all, after a busy weekend I'm here at work resting lol

Not quite, trying to add a deeper blue to my morning glories in order to blend the colors with the blocks..

giving them all base coat, some shading, some hi-lights and then will go back and add tints..

recently shades of deep blue (strip on the left) previous on the right..

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 11:42 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Very nice Betty. Moving slowly here today.....bad girl and decided to do a walk around outside yesterday. Today it is back to working on the baby quilt, laundry and being lazy.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I dug out this stack n whack quilt that I started about 15 years ago! To keep busy during our cold nasty winter. I have a lot cut out, and no idea how to put together ! The pattern was from a monthly magazine and it is long gone.

Thumbnail by JoParrott Thumbnail by JoParrott
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

That darker blue is just the right touch Betty, really gives them depth.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks, will keep painting, worse that will happen is I'll scrap it..lol

wow it's beautiful, do you know the name of the design..perhaps you could google it and they might have instructions..

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

Gardenglory, what are you going to do with your log cabin blocks. I have a lot of them made up but many are different sizes and were a big part of my learning projects. I like how you have enclosed them in a binding.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I never have done a stack 'n whack quilt. Wish I could help...
Betty, I really like the one with the darker blue. Now it seems to fit well with the four-patches. Very nice.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks Barb, guess one shouldn't decide until ready to put the entire quilt together..you know me with patience!

Suzanne is out of the office today so think on my lunch hour I'll go to the little fabric shop, good way of mellowing

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

Jan, you can trim your log cabins to all of the same size....or add sashing to make them all of the same size...

Jo, have you tried u tube for some directions??

Betty !!! Betty !! we are our own worst enemies !! STOP being so critical of your self !!! your flowers are beautiful !! and the quilt will be too!!! I know I have said this before, but I will say it again.....

Every single quilt I ever do....I always hit a spot...and think it is going to be ummm yuck!!! ( not what I expected) I just have to get past that, continue on...and then the quilt gets "likeable" again..... KEEP GOING it is BEAUTIFUL !!!

hugs and love ♥♥♥

I have a question. I have been part of a mystery quilt for months. I just got the last part where you put all the pieces together and I don't like it. It is extremely busy and there is no place for the eye to rest at all. It has twenty busy blocks calling for no sashing and then a very busy border around it. I have made all the blocks but have not started to put them together yet. Any advice on how to create a bit of calm in this quilt? I do have material left but not a huge amount....

Barb maybe use sashing anyhow to separate them a bit or create a whole new project using co-ordinating plain blocks in a checkerboard pattern. If you totally dislike them, send them away maybe for placemats?

Victoria Harbour, ON

snowing and blowing..

went to the quilt shop, always looking for something new..nice fabric but way too expensive for me..

did end up buying a 'sip and snip' cut holder though..will prevents kitties or me spilling coffee over my quilt work

Victoria Harbour, ON

Barb how disappointing for you...remember what Thunder said..do it and wait for the end before giving up on it..lol

my sister Sharon, Barb, didn't I bring you and Norm for a visit at the cottage when you were up??? know I brought someone..well she sent me photo's of her quilts and quilting and thought as a proud sister I'd show you

1. Tree of life

2. Iris

3. Circle of Flowers

4. Her quilting up close

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Sharon also has the top American Eskimo in both Canada and USA
She is a renoun breeder..on her way hoping to win for a 5th or 6th time in a row 'Best of Breed' at Westminster show..keeping fingers crossed that one year she'll get a best in show

A lady was so impressed she painted this for Sharon

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

WOW Betty! Your sister's dogs are doing great and her quilt work is beautiful.
I can't believe you don't LOVE the Morning glory quilt. I truly think it's GORGEOUS!!!! I agree the darker paint you added made it blend even BETTER. NOTE, I said even BETTER. I am just still not believing you don't LOVE it!!

Barb, I agree with the others.... a sashing and No busy border... maybe set them on corner and add plain blocks with a repeating quilting motiff... Split the blocks up into 2 quilts. Heck maybe even into 3 or more lap quilts with sashing and borders if it REALLY is too busy for you!! Wanna show us some pics?

Wow! Betty, I'm always so envious of anyone with the patience to do such fine work. That small twister template you just sent me...do you know what size wreath it would make?

Oh My such a gorgeous dog. I'm so a softie where dogs are concerned.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 4:34 PM

Barb - can you post a pic of the blocks. I agree some plain sashing & quieter border may be the way to go. Or can you put some palin snowball blocks btwn the busy ones?

Jo - there should be on line instructions for your stack & wack. You add the 2 green triangles to opposite sides of the floral piece. Then join 2 pieces together 3 times. THen join the 3 double pieces together to form each block.

As far as putting the blocks together, you can either square off each of the floral blocks, or use setting pieces btwn them.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Bbrrrr talk about cold -3 and windy..drats I should have stayed in Florida..

Karen, blocks are cut for that particular template 5"' can't remember, did I send the large one as well?? It's 10"..

Hit bath, painkiller then will measure the finished block

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Betty, your sisters quilts are absolutely beautiful!! I especially like the Iris quilt as Iris are my very favorite flower. And that beautiful dog! Wow!

I think I just have the tiny twister, can check for sure when I get back home.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Those log cabin blocks were for the Sandy relief quilts. Jean help put them together for the quilts and could probably give some good info.

Those are called wonky blocks because the strips are not even and I believe they kinda turn the blocks to square up the border, so even tho they are sewn straight, it looks like they are turned all which-a-way in the quilt.

2 ladies in my "Sandy" group have been no-shows so I'm still ~20 blocks short. Waiting for the lady in charge to hopefully assign more ladies to my group so I can finish the quilt.

The black border is trimmed to make the blocks 12 1/2". Depending on how they are trimmed, the blocks can be positioned to look crooked & give the quilt more interest.

All this out door work sure can be tiring!!!! Tomorrow I'll be painting the bottom section of siding, doors, and the porch.

And I have a ton of weeds to pull in the front garden.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Karen, finished block approx 17" square..

Love those wonky blocks..do many sign up then not meet their commitment?

I have a ton of snow you can "pull" too Jean! We have had warmer weather these last two days and the snow depth is down to about 2" now. Of course we are due for more snow on Wednesday which is when we go for Norm's PET scan!!!!
I will try to get a couple photos of these blocks in the morning. I'll also see if Norm can scan in the picture of the way the quilt is supposed to come out. I just don't care for it.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sometimes Barb those are the ones you enjoy the most..anxious to see it.

Karen, here is my sister's site, when you access it click on INUK

http://www.nuuktokamericaneskimodogs.com/

Check present liter if you want too oooh and ahhh

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 6:35 PM

Jean, what size do the blocks need to be BEFORE the black border is put on? Let's talk, I wanted to sign up but got afraid I could not keep the commitment. I do have some blocks complete, not a full 20 though.

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

ohhh Betty those quilts are fantastic!!! and of course the dogs are beautiful. curiosity is getting me, how much do those pups sell for? coming from champs I can only imagine..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Never asked Thunder..do know a lot of breeders pay her for sperm..
So hoping she wins again this year..attached my sip and sew to sewing table, looked at the machines and the pressure in my back said no you don't. Lol. And I am listening!

Pat - the border should make them larger than 12 1/2" so the person putting them together can square them all to (her) 12 1/2". Noting says how deep that dark border needs to be but I'm guessing should be more than 1 1/2". Do you have the site to sign up? Or I can let the POC know you are sending me some since the other woman bailed.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I put bigger borer than called for so the cutter would have room to work.

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Hi - just popped in so you don't think I've forgotten you all!!

Love you!!!!!!

I made the squares about 12 inches and I have NOT yet put the black borders on! Sooooo I'm thinking you don't want these. I'll just finish them up and donate the quilt locally.

I'd be happy to make up some more and send them to you. What colors are you using?? I'd like mine to blend in with what you have. The ones I have finished were from leftovers from some projects and sticking to mostly yellow, browns and some greens, Pam's are MUCH brighter than mine.

Hey Susan, nice to "see" you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.