Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Sewing and Quilting: Moving from January into February

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 282, Views: 1,511
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9383885

Hope you dont mind me starting a new thread. Weve been doing alot of chatting :-)

Came from
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292129/

This message was edited Jan 13, 2013 5:21 PM

Thumbnail by gardenglory
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9383888

Gosh darn it, now that I cant go back, I should have titled that Jan. part 2. Sorry about that.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
3:16 PM

Post #9383933

Thanks for the new room.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9383984

I did get a few of those blocks done too! I did yellow/ brown & some other semi-coordinating color fabric. I bought the black for the outer border but have not started on that yet.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9384003

Is anyone beside me having "problems" with Dave's today? It is so slow. Tried to post pics earlier and it just hung. Even rebooted the computer & still going very slow.

Weather has just been too nice to be inside sewing. keep thinking I'll work on these booties at nite & keep forgetting to bring the crochet hook in. Guess i could finish this last section of binding...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9384007

Daves is always the slowest website I frequent. YES, it does hang up in the middle of signing on. I used to think it was my computer, but I could go to any other website and it hooked right up.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 13, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9384121

Robin - that quilt is just awesome with the bed his g-g-grandfather made! And what a wonderful tribute to the bed! I agree - you could put another cream or brown border on it and it would look good!

Sorry that Dorothy passed, but it was to the Lord, and she's out of pain. Now, for the family to get through this... Mary is having a hard time, I'm sure. How wonderful that she got to spend these last months in the same place as Dorothy! And how awesome is it that Dorothy go to see that Marti is cancer-free! They blessed each other...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2013
8:41 AM

Post #9384557

morning all, after a busy weekend I'm here at work resting lol

Not quite, trying to add a deeper blue to my morning glories in order to blend the colors with the blocks..

giving them all base coat, some shading, some hi-lights and then will go back and add tints..

recently shades of deep blue (strip on the left) previous on the right..

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 11:42 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9384580

Very nice Betty. Moving slowly here today...bad girl and decided to do a walk around outside yesterday. Today it is back to working on the baby quilt, laundry and being lazy.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
9:18 AM

Post #9384594

I dug out this stack n whack quilt that I started about 15 years ago! To keep busy during our cold nasty winter. I have a lot cut out, and no idea how to put together ! The pattern was from a monthly magazine and it is long gone.

Thumbnail by JoParrott   Thumbnail by JoParrott         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9384605

That darker blue is just the right touch Betty, really gives them depth.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9384616

Thanks, will keep painting, worse that will happen is I'll scrap it..lol

wow it's beautiful, do you know the name of the design..perhaps you could google it and they might have instructions..
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2013
10:01 AM

Post #9384656

Gardenglory, what are you going to do with your log cabin blocks. I have a lot of them made up but many are different sizes and were a big part of my learning projects. I like how you have enclosed them in a binding.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9384667

I never have done a stack 'n whack quilt. Wish I could help...
Betty, I really like the one with the darker blue. Now it seems to fit well with the four-patches. Very nice.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2013
10:21 AM

Post #9384675

Thanks Barb, guess one shouldn't decide until ready to put the entire quilt together..you know me with patience!

Suzanne is out of the office today so think on my lunch hour I'll go to the little fabric shop, good way of mellowing

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
10:23 AM

Post #9384676

Jan, you can trim your log cabins to all of the same size...or add sashing to make them all of the same size...

Jo, have you tried u tube for some directions??

Betty !!! Betty !! we are our own worst enemies !! STOP being so critical of your self !!! your flowers are beautiful !! and the quilt will be too!!! I know I have said this before, but I will say it again...

Every single quilt I ever do...I always hit a spot...and think it is going to be ummm yuck!!! ( not what I expected) I just have to get past that, continue on...and then the quilt gets "likeable" again... KEEP GOING it is BEAUTIFUL !!!

hugs and love ♥♥♥

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9384729

I have a question. I have been part of a mystery quilt for months. I just got the last part where you put all the pieces together and I don't like it. It is extremely busy and there is no place for the eye to rest at all. It has twenty busy blocks calling for no sashing and then a very busy border around it. I have made all the blocks but have not started to put them together yet. Any advice on how to create a bit of calm in this quilt? I do have material left but not a huge amount...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9384780

Barb maybe use sashing anyhow to separate them a bit or create a whole new project using co-ordinating plain blocks in a checkerboard pattern. If you totally dislike them, send them away maybe for placemats?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9384806

snowing and blowing..

went to the quilt shop, always looking for something new..nice fabric but way too expensive for me..

did end up buying a 'sip and snip' cut holder though..will prevents kitties or me spilling coffee over my quilt work

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2013
12:24 PM

Post #9384823

Barb how disappointing for you...remember what Thunder said..do it and wait for the end before giving up on it..lol

my sister Sharon, Barb, didn't I bring you and Norm for a visit at the cottage when you were up??? know I brought someone..well she sent me photo's of her quilts and quilting and thought as a proud sister I'd show you

1. Tree of life

2. Iris

3. Circle of Flowers

4. Her quilting up close

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9384830

Sharon also has the top American Eskimo in both Canada and USA
She is a renoun breeder..on her way hoping to win for a 5th or 6th time in a row 'Best of Breed' at Westminster show..keeping fingers crossed that one year she'll get a best in show

A lady was so impressed she painted this for Sharon

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze         

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9384849

WOW Betty! Your sister's dogs are doing great and her quilt work is beautiful.
I can't believe you don't LOVE the Morning glory quilt. I truly think it's GORGEOUS!!!! I agree the darker paint you added made it blend even BETTER. NOTE, I said even BETTER. I am just still not believing you don't LOVE it!!

Barb, I agree with the others... a sashing and No busy border... maybe set them on corner and add plain blocks with a repeating quilting motiff... Split the blocks up into 2 quilts. Heck maybe even into 3 or more lap quilts with sashing and borders if it REALLY is too busy for you!! Wanna show us some pics?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9384881

Wow! Betty, I'm always so envious of anyone with the patience to do such fine work. That small twister template you just sent me...do you know what size wreath it would make?

Oh My such a gorgeous dog. I'm so a softie where dogs are concerned.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 4:34 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9384892

Barb - can you post a pic of the blocks. I agree some plain sashing & quieter border may be the way to go. Or can you put some palin snowball blocks btwn the busy ones?

Jo - there should be on line instructions for your stack & wack. You add the 2 green triangles to opposite sides of the floral piece. Then join 2 pieces together 3 times. THen join the 3 double pieces together to form each block.

As far as putting the blocks together, you can either square off each of the floral blocks, or use setting pieces btwn them.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9384939

Bbrrrr talk about cold -3 and windy..drats I should have stayed in Florida..

Karen, blocks are cut for that particular template 5"' can't remember, did I send the large one as well?? It's 10"..

Hit bath, painkiller then will measure the finished block

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2013
2:36 PM

Post #9384951

Betty, your sisters quilts are absolutely beautiful!! I especially like the Iris quilt as Iris are my very favorite flower. And that beautiful dog! Wow!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
2:40 PM

Post #9384958

I think I just have the tiny twister, can check for sure when I get back home.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9384971

Those log cabin blocks were for the Sandy relief quilts. Jean help put them together for the quilts and could probably give some good info.

Those are called wonky blocks because the strips are not even and I believe they kinda turn the blocks to square up the border, so even tho they are sewn straight, it looks like they are turned all which-a-way in the quilt.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
3:13 PM

Post #9384986

2 ladies in my "Sandy" group have been no-shows so I'm still ~20 blocks short. Waiting for the lady in charge to hopefully assign more ladies to my group so I can finish the quilt.

The black border is trimmed to make the blocks 12 1/2". Depending on how they are trimmed, the blocks can be positioned to look crooked & give the quilt more interest.

All this out door work sure can be tiring!!!! Tomorrow I'll be painting the bottom section of siding, doors, and the porch.

And I have a ton of weeds to pull in the front garden.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9384994

Karen, finished block approx 17" square..

Love those wonky blocks..do many sign up then not meet their commitment?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9385005

I have a ton of snow you can "pull" too Jean! We have had warmer weather these last two days and the snow depth is down to about 2" now. Of course we are due for more snow on Wednesday which is when we go for Norm's PET scan!!!!
I will try to get a couple photos of these blocks in the morning. I'll also see if Norm can scan in the picture of the way the quilt is supposed to come out. I just don't care for it.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9385008

Sometimes Barb those are the ones you enjoy the most..anxious to see it.

Karen, here is my sister's site, when you access it click on INUK

http://www.nuuktokamericaneskimodogs.com/

Check present liter if you want too oooh and ahhh

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 6:35 PM

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9385011

Jean, what size do the blocks need to be BEFORE the black border is put on? Let's talk, I wanted to sign up but got afraid I could not keep the commitment. I do have some blocks complete, not a full 20 though.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9385056

ohhh Betty those quilts are fantastic!!! and of course the dogs are beautiful. curiosity is getting me, how much do those pups sell for? coming from champs I can only imagine..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9385065

Never asked Thunder..do know a lot of breeders pay her for sperm..
So hoping she wins again this year..attached my sip and sew to sewing table, looked at the machines and the pressure in my back said no you don't. Lol. And I am listening!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9385115

Pat - the border should make them larger than 12 1/2" so the person putting them together can square them all to (her) 12 1/2". Noting says how deep that dark border needs to be but I'm guessing should be more than 1 1/2". Do you have the site to sign up? Or I can let the POC know you are sending me some since the other woman bailed.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9385125

I put bigger borer than called for so the cutter would have room to work.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 14, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9385180

Hi - just popped in so you don't think I've forgotten you all!!

Love you!!!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2013
6:07 PM

Post #9385183

I made the squares about 12 inches and I have NOT yet put the black borders on! Sooooo I'm thinking you don't want these. I'll just finish them up and donate the quilt locally.

I'd be happy to make up some more and send them to you. What colors are you using?? I'd like mine to blend in with what you have. The ones I have finished were from leftovers from some projects and sticking to mostly yellow, browns and some greens, Pam's are MUCH brighter than mine.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9385185

Hey Susan, nice to "see" you!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9385186

Hi Susan, we're still in TN. Doing a lot of house looking but not much house finding. Thinking about heading home in a day or two.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
8:29 PM

Post #9385416

Love you too Susan, and we miss you

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 14, 2013
8:39 PM

Post #9385428

Karen - hope you find a home soon...

I'm just a little "off kilter" the past couple of days... think it's missing Dorothy... too close to home, y'know?!?!
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

January 14, 2013
9:07 PM

Post #9385445

Happy New Year!

Ya'll are getting a lot of quilting done. I have been thru a couple of cold fronts and a couple of warm fronts without touching a sewing machine. Well I did unpack the 2 I bought in October, but I haven't sewn a stitch with them.

But I did get my rescued shrubs planted and some of my iris divided and grandchildren properly hugged. I didn't upload a bathrobe pic of Bailey's bathrobe - I love fleece. For the amount of time I have these days it is fast, easy, soft and comes in colors.
I get mine from Hancock's online. There is only one real store in DFW left, so I just order online. Never liked Joann's much. Overpriced and I don't have time to coupon to save with them.

Gypsi

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 11:08 PM

Thumbnail by Gypsi

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 15, 2013
3:28 AM

Post #9385537

Gypsi, that bathrobe looks so warm and cuddly..wouldn't a large size fit the bill right now.

Bitter cold out there, thought perhaps it had snowed but didn't.

Seeing I was in mega pain last night I took a pain killer, fell asleep early and woke up at 4:30 with no more sleep in sight..with coffee in hand I came downstairs and played with placemats..so far this week I have 5 sets of 6 ready for quilting then binding..

Think I might go to the Dollar Store today and see if they've any Christmas bags left so when finished they can be set in and stored in black closet.

Better clean my mess...girls are coming today to sew while I'm at work!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
5:26 AM

Post #9385601

Pat - I have some in BRIGHT colors & some in golds & browns. That is the main reason I've not started putting anything together. Need some "pleasing" way of working with such varied colors. So really any colors would work. Don't think I have any with a lot of blues in them & find that odd.

But yes, with that last black strip added they are then a bit larger than 12 1/2".

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
6:08 AM

Post #9385640

Happy Birthday morknotmindy/Gloria! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Thumbnail by taters55

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9385731

Happy Birthday Gloria, May your day be full of wonderful fabric, and many happy stitches ^_^

safe travels Linda K.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 15, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9385737

Sending Happy Birthday wishes along with those before me!!!

Hope your day is filled with sunshine and stitches

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9385797

Happy Birthday Gloria and I hope you get to spend it in your studio!!!!! I just love your special place...
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

January 15, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9385870

Happy birthday Gloria. It snowed here today, but I still can't sew. Inventory and html...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9385890

Sending my birthday wishes along as well. Have a great one.

As for my Sandy blocks, they finished out at a good 13...13 1/2 inches. I could not figure how you could cut off some if they were not that big. Maybe thats why I never heard from whom ever was to put them together, maybe they didnt work :-(.
I SO wanted to see a picture of the quilt/s put together.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2013
11:00 AM

Post #9385970

Gloria, wishing you a wonderful birthday! Enjoy.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9386133

Happy B-day Gloria - a fellow Capricorn!!!!

The idea of the black around the outside is so that all the blocks will be 12 1/2" once trimmed. Otherwise, you would have blocks that the piecer thinks are 12 1/2" but the joiner might not think so.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 15, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9386413

♪♫ Happy Birthday, Gloria!! ♫♪
Keep Smiling!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9386492

Tallulah, I have to know, now that I quit laughing,what kind of dog is that. It looks like a Wiemeriner (sp?) or a chocolate lab.
Really cute
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9386496

Oh and I forgot to wish Gloria a very happy birthday, Hope you had a wonderful day. I just was laughing so hard about
Tallulah's picture.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9386544

I can't think of the breed but it's the kind that was in the movie Turner and Hooch.

Looked it up.. Dogue de Bordeaux also known as a French Mastiff

This message was edited Jan 15, 2013 8:59 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 15, 2013
6:44 PM

Post #9386597

Too cute...lol

Hoping to finish other two morning glory panels tomorrow..
sneak previous

Bed time, no staying up all night sewing girls..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9386602

Wow, that is a gorgeous quilt and I love the way you are hanging it to put it together. I don't have a wall big enough to do that.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9386611

Happy Birthday Gloria !! I know's too late by this time but know that I do send you good wishes!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9386658

OHHH MY GOODNESS Betty !! that is beyond GORGEOUS ^_^

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 15, 2013
8:39 PM

Post #9386673

Betty - I have no words for how beautiful I think that quilt is...!!!
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

January 15, 2013
9:24 PM

Post #9386690

Sharon's quilting is absolutely stunning Betty!

Genuine handquilting is so time-consuming, I have ONE that I started in 1987 and hope to finish before I die.
Maybe...

Absolutely gorgeous. I want the iris quilt!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
3:09 AM

Post #9386771

Absolutely stunning Betty!!!! The touches of the darker blue was all that was needed to pull it all together. Can't wait to see it ll together. You constantly amaze me...
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
3:57 AM

Post #9386788

Jean, could you post a picture of the Sandy block that you need more of. I'd be happy to dedicate a morning work session to fill in the missing blocks. We're ahead on the baby quilts at the moment. Still need more placemats, but that is ongoing with no deadline.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
4:02 AM

Post #9386790

Mittsy - they are just log cabin blocks made with strips of varying widths ( 1 1/2 - 2 1/2"). When the block gets to be ~9" then you add a final round of a solid (ToT is fine) very dark fabric. The goal is the block I receive is larger than 12 1/2" and then I trim them all to a consistent size.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9386878

Good morning all! Many thanks for the birthday wishes and I will keep smiling! Maybe not with quite that much gusto... LOL
Betty, your morning glory quilt is going to be awesome!! Way to go girl!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9386893

Beautiful Betty, I really like blue and yellow together and you've done a beautiful job. When pieces look like they just grew there you know the combo is right.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9386907

Here is the link for the wonky block tutorial and some info on these quilts. You have to scroll down just a few lines for the link to the tutorial.

http://quiltinggallery.com/quilters-fun/sandy-quilt-block-drive/

Betty...very very pretty.

Glad I went back and read the tutorial, I thought I had mad my blocks to big, but they are suppose to finish off at 131/2 to 14 inches. I gave mine every bit of the 14 inches.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2013 9:36 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 16, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9386909

Thank you, your comments of succeeding edges me on..almost done the 2nd panel..working hard to have the 3rd one done as well by days end..fun will be putting it together..
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2013
9:34 AM

Post #9387147

I am totally in awe of the quilt Betty. I agree with Barb, needed the darker blue added.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 16, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9387276

Somebody talk to my boss please..was prepared for a full day of painting, I could have finished the 2 panels..asked if I minded doing a project for him this aft. The gall, him taking me from my plans. Lol

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9387329

SUCKS to be expected to WORK when you're "scheduled" to paint!! LOL... *sigh*, I want YOUR 'job'!!! Heck, I feel guilty when I take LUNCH on my lunch break!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9387356

Betty I'd file a complaint with NLRB, That's outrageous.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 16, 2013

Post #9387358

Sure is, I'll have to ask for a raise. Lol

Drats, office down the hall is closed..one of their clients asked if I could give him paper/pen/tape so he. Could leave a message..all the while he and his kids were hacking...grrr watch me catch something

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 16, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9387363

Karen think I'll do that, not used to working more than 1 hour a day..
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9387416

http://www.flickr.com/groups/quilting-gallery/pool/with/8377675867/#photo_8377675867

I was looking to see if anyone had posted their finished Sandy quilts. There is some really great things people are doing, thought you might like to look as well.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 16, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9387449

Not sure why, knocks me off, no can view!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9387471

Knocks me right out too!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9387570

I just tried it again, for some reason, it works for me. Sorry you cant see it. :-(

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 16, 2013
5:44 PM

Post #9387621

Evening all,

Was going to work a bit on the quilt (the one you likely are tired me talking about) but think a good nights rest is in order..one never knows when one will have to work tomorrow! lol

Did find blue to add to it..colors are starting to blend a bit more..here you all told me it would and I wasn't even listening, had even bought dye..

I've been thinking about the quilting, here is my thoughts, please advise me if you think I'm going about it in the wrong way..am going to machine quilt, piece is quite large..my thoughts

with the lightest of cotton, light batting and each of the painting panels I thought I'd quilt the flowers in detail..then add as normal when putting together then quilting the entire amount just going around the morning glories as they've already been quilted..

is it making any sense or are the drugs and being tired bringing me into lala land?

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9387658

I think I'm understanding and I like it.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9387661

I like your idea! Go for it. Do you need more blues & yellow? I can send some.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

January 16, 2013
8:15 PM

Post #9387768

[quote="Bettypauze"]Too cute...lol

Hoping to finish other two morning glory panels tomorrow..
sneak previous

Bed time, no staying up all night sewing girls..[/quote]

That was the end of me quilting much, when I had to quit staying up all night. Did you use a shower curtain to mount the panels too? This is the only pic I could find of the morning glory quilt. Very nice!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
8:57 PM

Post #9387791

it is hanging on a design wall.

Betty, I will say again... It is GORGEOUS if it were mine I think I would put a very fine line of blue in between each row... JMHO
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
2:45 AM

Post #9387853

Betty - I'd do some tight stippling around the flowers so they will really POP - a trapunto effect.

Was WIDE awake before 5AM. Prob because I need to give a presentation this evening & have not started, or given much thought, to what I'm going to say...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
3:18 AM

Post #9387856

Good Morning ^_^ early shift..!!

Jean I bet you will do just fine !

Y'all have a great day.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
3:40 AM

Post #9387865

What is yourpresentation about Jean?
I like your idea for quilting Betty. Can't wait to see hoe it comes out.
Norm had his PET scan yesterday and so far so good. The doctor said he could not see the tumor but we know enough to wait for the radiologist report. Keep your fingers crossed for him please...
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
3:48 AM

Post #9387869

Adding more prayers for Norm. Please tell him we prayed for him at our small christian community meeting last night.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
3:51 AM

Post #9387873

Thanks Mittsy. I took 10 coloring book totes up yesterday too and the nurses in the children's oncology center were so happy to get them. I'm going to try for 10 or more each month for this year...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
4:29 AM

Post #9387885

Good news on Norm. Barb - 10 totes a month should keep you busy and the kids happy.

I'm giving a presentation on my quilting business to a local Sewing & Craft group. Of course, I've torn the house apart twice looking for the wall hanging with all the feathers & custom quilting I did 2 years ago and do you think I can find it?!?!?!? I know it's here; saw it after we moved; put it somewhere so I would know where it was...been thru all 3 cedar chests a couple times; checked the linen closet...it has disappeared somewhere. I do have pics but hard to see all the quilting in a pic.
It will show up tomorrow!!!!!
And most of my nice work has gone to customers. I wanted to get some samples made but the weather has been too nice to stay inside. When they were putting the new siding on the studio it was too noisy to work in there. Oh well...I'll take what I have.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
4:30 AM

Post #9387886

How wonderful, I'm sure they are greatly appreciated by the patients and the staff.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
4:32 AM

Post #9387887

Don't fight it Jean, it's Murphy's law - (If it can go wrong, it probably will).
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9387917

Barb, that sounds like excellent news for Norm. and you as well!

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9387970

Betty, I love the quilt!

sending prayers to Norm and you, Barb.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
6:28 AM

Post #9387979

Betty, that is really coming together. I think I like Thunders idea, of a small blue strip, maybe cut one or two, and place them on the flannel design wall, and see how you like it?
Jean, sure hope that wall panel jumps out in front of you soon!
Barb, sending prayers that you get good results for the PET scan!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9387981

Has anyone heard from Helene recently? I know she was getting company & her house was on the market but I've not seen her post in quite awhile.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9387998

Sure havent. Neither here or on the recipe thread which she used to post on fairly often.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9388013

OK for those on Pinterest...Kathy (Kizmo) had this pinned but it's too good not to share.
http://annamariahorner.blogspot.com/2007/02/super-circles.html

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9388042

Betty, no need to worry about us getting tired of you and your quilt! We all get to share with you your anxieties and frustrations and feeling that it is just not going to work out, and. of course, sharing ideas of our own and giving lots of encouragement. We have all been there and it is very comforting to have this wonderful group of quilters, and enablers, to come to. I like to share in the 'birth of a quilt. Oftentimes our families 'just don't get it' and are no help at all. Not to worry. That quilt is going to knock every ones socks, hats, and whatever, in the creek!!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9388070

How shocking Betty, you were actually asked to work. Agree with Karen, file a complaint. :-) Love the quilt and waiting to see the finished product.

Not much going on here, trying to finish this baby quilt for Kim but sewing the past few days has not been good for my knee. So have been being lazy...I hate not doing what I want to do.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9388073

Flipping channels I came across a Singer sewing machine as the todays special on HSN. I have been mezmerized for the last hour. It comes with a flower making foot that is to die for and a new to singer parallel sewing foot that makes it a breeze to evenly space rows for quilting, Even if you dont need a new machine, you want to look into just getting that foot. Thing is, I know nothing about the newer singers. Are they made cheaply now, what do you think about them??? Since it has the needle down, a feature I would never give up, Im actually kinda thinking about it.
Free shipping too
Im off to the dentist, but will look up when the next presentation is.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9388095

Well, Singer & Viking are now owned by the same parent company.
Check the shipping weight to know if it is metal or plastic pieces.

My thoughts on a machine are "to spend that much $$$$ I want a test drive and to know someone local is available for lessons & to work on it".

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 17, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9388115

morning..almost afternoon..just finished my project and now I'm able to work on my painting project!! yippee

thank you for understanding, not that I need the ooh's and the ahh's through this project but value all your thoughts and ideas. Tonight if well enough, I shall cut the angular blocks for outer ridge, if it does the trick then fine, if not, will of course test out the smaller borders.

So funny, nephew Bryan was hired to work in our Toronto office..here for the day training with Suzanne (his mom)..said 'Aunt Betty you are such a hard worker, you've not taken your eyes off the computer screen' I almost burst out laughing..this is the only couple of days I haven't been crafting all day..told him I wanted it done and sent out so I can sit and paint..explained what I wa doing and he said it sounded very interesting. He enjoys writting so that will be what he will fill downtime with!!

Suppose to go to Buffalo Saturday, snowed last night, not calling for any great amount..need lining and batting for a few of the tops that are ready for quilting.

Ahhh someone else has the bug for a new sewing machine lol

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9388177

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9384729

This refers to a previous post of mine where I was asking advice concerning a mystery quilt. I have started to put the blocks up on the design wall and if I turn them the way I want them, I am creating spaces for the eye to rest. The border is supposed to look a lot like bear claws - all points - and I'm not too happy about that and would be done in the background beige and the orange. . The design is 4 blocks across and 5 down-20 blocks in all. Any thoughts about a border?
Edited to add - the design calls for all the blocks to be oriented the same way so those rest spots would end up like an hourglass.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2013 12:59 PM

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013

Post #9388183

Here is what the completed quilt is supposed to look like. I just feel it is too busy this way.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013

Post #9388184

I'm thinking I would do the border with plain narrow strips of the three main colors. It would be less busy and still blend into the quilt. Or maybe narrow strips of the orange and black separated by a narrow strip of the beige and then a wider strip of the beige. This is supposing you have enough matching fabric.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9388187

Dropping in to ohh and ahh. I have been busy working and volunteering. The wedding quilt is moving along albeit at a snail's pace. I was hoping someone had won the lottery since I've been gone. You all are so generous I didn't want to miss out on anything. lol Well I'll settle for you sharing your wonderful quilts and sewing projects. I have a few free(r) days and plan to get some serious stitching in starting right now. A Netflix movie will help pass the time.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9388188

What about the print fabric Karen? Would you use that too? I have the border pieces ready to cut and sew together. We made 36 - 8" half square triangle blocks and I'm supposed to cut them and then sew them together again like these border shapes.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9388192

Forgot the picture---

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2013
10:59 AM

Post #9388241

IMHO I would reuse the print piece that is in the triangular blocks...that is really pretty to me. I think it is beautiful Barb, and love the colors used.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 17, 2013
11:37 AM

Post #9388272

Barb, I absolutely love the pattern and colors you've used, nice and bright! I'm always attracted to vibrant colors and yet I can't seem to use same. Know you will be excited at the finished project..just got to get you from this stage to the next!

Trying to see if I have the energy this afternoon to paint!!! hmmm

I also watch Netflix all day..watching Numbr3s series right now..good pastime.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9388282

The border is a version of Delectable Mountains. You could do the DM with just the yellow & print. That would soften it. I'd avoid putting any black in the border.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2013
12:23 PM

Post #9388311

Barb, you already have the 1/2 blocks ready to cut to make into the points, if I understand you correct. You could put them back to back with the dark sides together to create BIG triangles. I'd give it a double thin border of orange and black, framing the whole triangle border. Wish I could draw a picture because I fear I'm not communicating that very clearly.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9388342

The DM is done with the beige and orange. Actually what we are calling beige is really a yellow!!! Since the blocks are ready to be cut for the DM border I may cut a couple just to see what it will be like. I was planning on a black binding...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9388432

what about a narrow border of the orange, or the black ? then prairie points?? using all of the colors...

or something like this picture

or this http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/jagged-edge-quilt-border-pattern.htm

Thumbnail by barefootT

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9388455

Oh wow Barb, I'll bet your head is whirling, I know mine is, there are so many good suggestions. I love the print, it seems a shame not to use more of it. I guess you'll have to just play with it an see what works for you.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 17, 2013
9:11 PM

Post #9388807

Barb - praying for good results for Norm (in addition to the good results he's already gotten!! yaaaaaaaaay)

Yes, wonder where Helene is...

I heard today (from the agency) that the company is looking at 3 other candidates for the job.
I just finished typing a Thank You letter for the interview and their consideration. Hope it puts me "over the top". Now... to find a #10 business envelope...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9388993

Helene is here, had my head in the sand...Also no internet for a while. Shut the DTOff for a few days. waited for comcast. Today they were to come so I put the computer on and the DTworks. Had a brown out a few days ago and it impaired something I guess.

Yesterday I Read the "Kite runner" out a bunch of years, I know.I have read "the rising sun" same author. Gut wrenching writing...OMG ... have a new book this year come May.

from bottom up.Susan good luck

Laurel, you are there (quilting) whats your rush...Town of Cortez is a fishing village near by. They have a restaurant directly on the bay, outside. Get your food in a box and eat on picnic Tables, very "Cortez". You always are in line to place your order. They have this sign "You are here, what's your rush"? I just love it.

Barb for minimizing I would just use the print fabric for border, for a bit more effect print and yellow making DM and binding in black. Good news for Norm.

Happy birthday Gloria]

Betty just awesome. Sorry your boss actually asked you to work, the gall is right.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9388999

Whee, now my worries are over! Helene has surfaced...glad to hear from you. A bit on the chilly side this morning.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9389006

Helene - I was getting ready to call out the search & rescue guys to go looking for you.
I'd planned on heading out tot he Studio by 8 and I'm still doing house "work"!!!!! Now I am heading that direction.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 18, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9389070

Morning all,

Nice to see you've surfaced Helene, girls were fretting! Amazing what having no internet does to us..yuk

Still in my jammies, sub-zero temps here this morning and about 2" of snow, plowman just left..normally I go move my vehicle so he can make a 2nd pass but thought better of doing so.

There is a 2" border of cut fabrics that does around the entire quilt, got to tell you, taking much longer than I had anticipated but when you are working from home, in your jammies, coffee by your side, what can be better.

Unless a blizzard is in the works, I'll accompany my SIL (coworker) Suzanne to Buffalo for the day..guess you will know where I will be stopping lol

Enjoy the sunshine

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 18, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9389091

Thunder, know you said I should use additional strips..do you think maybe plain white 1" strips on each side of the blue??

Off to make a coffee and need cereal for energy, wondered why I was hungry, went to bed last night no supper, up this morning and no breakfast and I wonder why tummy is grumbling..

You know how I love gadgets..love the 'sip and snip' table attachment

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9389097

Betty - a very thin line of your dark blue on each side of the white is what I would do to tie the strips together. If you cut at 1" it would finish about 1/2". That would be just enough so that the separation between the strips would be softened. Just my opinion...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9389131

Helene, glad you are well and thanks for the advice. I loved "Kite Runner". Pretty heavy though.

I was hoping to have the wedding quilt done long before GMhood but wouldn't you know the girl was pregnant and hardly before the ink was dry on the wedding contract. The wedding quilt was intended to be a first anniversary gift next July. The baby is due in June. My plans included a naming quilt in a few years. I've let her know that she needs to consult her mother's schedule for family planning directions next time around. Meanwhile, don't want a project as big as the wedding quilt to turn into a UFO by setting it aside to work on a naming quilt. Maybe the baby will go unnamed. I confess to waking up and "considering" designs for a naming quilt.

More than half the blocks on the third quadrant are completed. When satisfied that everything is adequately anchored I will switch to a hoop and add stitching detail.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel      

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9389134

white with the blue on the outer edges?? yes that would look very good. still think thin blue in between flowers and pieced rows again JMHO

it is beautiful, I am gonna hafta go look at that pattern again...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 18, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9389188

Kids these days have lives that move so quickly..think you had better just make quilts and have them stockpiled for just the right occasion..love the colors in your quilt!

put 1"..keep looking at it, do you think having the white stripped with blue will give a harshness to the piece?

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9389192

Wow! I like it! I like it!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9389308

That is what I meant Thunder. Betty - I really like that dark blue line and I do think it will help tie things together. I would put one on both sides of the white flower.strips before joining them to the pieced strips...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
12:17 PM

Post #9389309

Thanks Betty, and I'm loving your quilt. I like the thin blue stripe. A yellow stripe with the more pale yellow will soften the blue by making the eye see more yellow and drawing to the other yellow in the quilt. Maybe try a piece and see how you like it.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 18, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9389361

Sorry guys, sewed some 1" strips, left it and as I entered the room all I saw was stripes of linear blue..took them off, checked the pattern a few more times and thing I will leave inner section bordered with blue..softer

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9389561

Betty, I liked th blue stripe, but if it was too dark, try the yellow like MaypopLaurel suggested?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 18, 2013
9:01 PM

Post #9389811

Hi everyone!! Helene - SO glad to see you haven't gotten lost... glad you're back :-)

Betty - love the quilt...!!!

ok - my current contract has been extended again! 3 weeks more.
They know that I am waiting to hear back re: interview and that I may have to wait about 3 weeks before I could start if I'm chosen... so, the kind people they are, they've extended me that long! What sweethearts, eh?
went to dinner & a movie tonight - Montana's, and "Life Of Pi" - both fabulous!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
9:13 PM

Post #9389820

WoHoo we are heading back to MI tomorrow, best part...we are taking Miss Amelia with us. Well her daddy( our DGS) is coming too. We have a family event coming up, our youngest daughter and her dear hubby are celebrating their 25th anniversary with a large party. Grand daughter and grand son living down here were flower girl and ring bearer. So glad they will be able to make it up for the party

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2013
4:41 AM

Post #9389886

Sounds like a great time to be had Karen!!! Are you not finding something you like in Tennessee housing?
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9389949

http://pinterest.com/kreativesallerl/crochet/?e_t=8595878539a14edd820bcc947e24b33c&e_t_s=boards&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly

Jean...or anyone. This popped up in my mail this morning. If your still doing your sit and crochet, I thought there was some neat things. Some things gave me some quilting ideas as well. I hope it doesnt drop, like the flicker page I posted the other day.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9389989

We just looked at a few Barb. It's discouraging that the actual house doesn't bear much resemblance to the listing. We did see one we like quite a bit FSBO. Man is very anxious to sell as he has relocated already. He's a preacher and went to a new church. The house would work for us although it's not the house of my dreams. I'd like to be a bit choosier this time as it's likely the last house we will buy. We'll be back in a few weeks maybe we can get more serious then.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9390009

Thanks for the crochet link. See a couple cute items I may try.

For anyone with a Michael's nearby - they have the 12 1/2" acid free plastic (paper crafting) boxes for $4 (reg over $8). I use these for my in-progress quilt blocks since they are see thru & stack nicely. I got the last 2 my store had.

Lovely 50s & sunny out. Need to get top & shoes on to go walking.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9390011

Yes, I bought a couple at Christmas from JoAnn's at that price and I love them for the same reason.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 19, 2013
6:20 PM

Post #9390646

Evening all, lovely day in Buffalo, nice to be home!

Again sewing toys took most of my spending dollars, fabric, patterns, templates a bought the 'new supreme slider' for quilting, anxious to try it..won't be tonight though. Lol
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
4:51 AM

Post #9390926

I'm going to a 20 for $25 fat qtr sale today!!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 20, 2013
6:03 AM

Post #9390949

Morning

Do you enjoy your fat quarter shopping, will be hard to pick just the right fabric I bet..anxious to see what you came home with!

Woke up at 2am, couldn't sleep, wind was howling, had thunder, imagine thunder in January, tossed turned and fell back to sleep..

here is what I woke up to, a winter wonderland!!!! Glad I don't have to go anywhere today, lazy day, maybe I'll get to finish painting those morning glories.

Here is my super glider, ancious to tray it

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
6:20 AM

Post #9390967

Well, I woke up and itsw arm enough I went out and did some pruning. The sand hill cranes are on their migration to town and I love hearing them fly over. Camellias AND azealas blooming. That sure is a pretty picture...but, first thought was poor animals, second thought, at least for another month or two, thank goodness Im where I am. ;-) Summer, Ill be singing a different song.
Im backed up five months on my mystery blocks. Im going to get them cut today and hopefully some pieced together.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2013 10:01 AM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9391000

The yard looks so tranquil Betty. No footprints going to the shed so that's a good thing!!! LOL
Thought I might quilt my twisted wreath today. We shall see. Still cleaning bedroom and quilt room. Lord, the amounts of threads that get on a carpet is so amazing!!!! And half of them I don't even see!!
I have seen the smooth glider thingy but have not bitten the bug yet. Please let me know what you think of it...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 20, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9391004

Lol Barb, no footprints for sure..trying to muster enough energy to clean the car and go to the grocery store..really coming ipd own..wasn't it just hours ago I said Greg and the grandsons were unhappy having no snow? What changes can happen in a few hours.

Rita had asked if she could drop in today to sew for a few hours, doubtful she will come, roads aren't always the best on the lake.

We are thinking much the same, Lordy how do the threads move from downstairs to upstairs..just going to vacuum, wash the floors then have the entire day to play.

Hope you do get time to quilt the Christmas wreath...I bought the twisted Halloween with hat pattern yesterday, just too adorable..there was a book with odds/sods of twisted patterns but most in the book I already bought individually so passed on it.

Will let you know on the Teflon quilting Matt, did pass fabric over it and it just slid,should work fine.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9391066

Beautiful back yard Betty!
Please let us know how that slider mat works? Looks interesting.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9391102

Ya, sounds like Betty needs to open small franchise sellng those gliders... we have plenty of interested people RIGHT here! LOL I have a roller chair with a hard wood floor in my sewing room and the casters of my chair pick up the string and wind it around. It makes a nasty mess to pull out and I should have figured it out LONG before I did but...

the snow IS beautiful!! And well... you ARE in Canada!! LOL!

OH OH!!! Good news!!! You have ALL heard me whine about On-Call etc (Sorry friends!) well, my Boss announced she has approval to hire another DMHP (Crisis responder) so On call will be split between 5 of us instead of 4, at least for a little while. I have a Co-worker going out on Maternity leave in May, we'll be lucky to even get the new person hired and trained and responding to crisis on her own by then. That's just the nature of the work, the training is TIME consuming. My fear is my co-worker will not return from leave... the job is brutal and she might be able to find another therapist position in her home town. It would pay less but NOT have OnCall and no 25 minute commute. I love her to death and would miss her sorely, but it would be so much better for a new Mommy.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 20, 2013
8:59 AM

Post #9391132

Holy, holy, holy!!

Wicked out there, if the wind picks up nobody will be driving anywhere..oh please, could I have a snow day tomorrow?? Now that I've done groceries I can be housebound for several days.

Alwayse hat to lose a coworker Pat but I think being able to stay home raising your child is the ultimate gift. While in the grocery store that my great niece is now in labour..mom was getting ready to drive her into Midland hospital. Will have to make a baby quilt!

Should telephone my son and family, see if they would like to come for supper, likely will all be out snowmobiling..will call, haven't seen them all since spbefore Christmas.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2013
9:05 AM

Post #9391143

Yes, if you can and you are the stay-at-home kind of mother, it's good. I did not work most of the years that my kids were small. I was ALWAYS the back-up plan for my Ex-work, plus did the accountable payable and payroll, but I could do those on my time table back then. I'm not certain my co-worker can afford to stay home, but she probably could afford the cut in pay that the therapist job would be (versus our crisis work). Oh man... weekends off and HOLIDAYS off... sleeping thru the night without the call outs... wish I could afford the cut in pay, oh well!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 20, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9391154

Then you couldn't afford all those fabrics and tools now could you..catch 22!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2013

Post #9391222

Yes, it would certainly require some "tightening of the purse strings" although my sewing and gardening are my only outlet. At least this most recent surgery was paid for 100% !!! Compared to the cataract surgery 2 years ago that we are still paying on.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 20, 2013
10:58 AM

Post #9391305

So glad we have the government system that costs us virtually nothing!

Seeing/painting/stained glass and gardening are my utlets as well..usually keeps me out of mischief!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2013
11:17 AM

Post #9391326

??????? Betty, keeps you out of mischief? :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 20, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9391380

So I like to think. Lol

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9391546

Getting INTO mischief is how I beat depression. Thinking up and carrying out a little mischief now and then is VERY good for me.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 20, 2013
2:46 PM

Post #9391560

LOL nevah, my Betty - you couldn't keep out of trouble if you tried, and from all your trips and bar shenanigans, I don't think you try LOL

yaaaaaay Pat - that IS good news! Now, to get her trained...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 20, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9391562

Pat, I always say "Behave"... now, I don't say HOW to behave. You have your choice - Well, or Badly... and I'm NOT asking you to update me LOL

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2013
2:52 PM

Post #9391568

LOL, when I would cause a little mischief, my mother would always say "Pat, you got too much time on your hands!!" truthfully, it generally never took time, just opportunity!! One time we were all at an Open House for my neice at some restuarant, it was her graduation party I think. My mom was sitting there and she had eaten a Hersey kiss or two and then rolled up the foil until it was TINY. She said "If you get rid of the evidence, no one knows how many you ate." So when she wasn't looking, my sister and I gathered up EVERYBODY'S wrapper and piled them on the table in front of her!!! *sigh* she knew who to blame, I miss her something terrible sometimes. As often as not, she was my partner in crime.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9391597

Betty, you really have a storybook scene going on in your back yard. Do people in Canada say "wicked" too or did you catch that from a New Englander? DD went to school in western Massachusetts and everything was wicked this or that for a while. The play had just come out and I thought it was because of that. She eventually got back on track with her ya'lls. lol

I just returned from a four and a half hour board meeting and am trying to decide what it will take to get me to calm down enough to stitch. We didn't solve all the world's problems. Not even one. There is no work on my schedule this week. I'm looking forward to some down time.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 20, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9391602

I say "y'all" and "wicked" We had a car commercial a long time ago, where they said "Wicked" all the time, and I know I picked it up from there...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9391617

Four and a half hour board meeting. That makes me nervous to even think about. Glad your week sounds more fun.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 20, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9391734

I've done full-day meetings with me taking notes... and some were for two days to a week...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
6:07 PM

Post #9391762

Uggh, Susan! These meetings are always long but today was especially gruesome because there were problems with last year's minutes that needed to be reviewed, amended and approved as well as approving a budget for the coming year. As with many things in life the people can be more challenging than the problems. Well, I'm all calm now. A few sips and a nice dinner did the trick. Maybe stitch a bit before bed. Hope the stitches look relatively straight.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 20, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9391773

oh no... problems with last year's minutes?! That sounds gruesome! People's memories are just NOT that good... and as for budgets... well, I don't even want to touch that with a 10 ft pole!!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9394074

Hi everyone! Looks like this thread has the most traffic, so I stopped here. Spent a week with Bella, she's now up to 11+lbs!has outgrown her 0-3 mo clothes in length. Here she is in a hat/sweater set from her great Aunt...

Thumbnail by Kizmo

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2013
5:36 PM

Post #9394112

Just got home from my Opthomalogist, can barely see because of the drops but all is good. he says I have no diabetic retinopthy, and no signs of glaucoma, my eyes are very healthy. I do need stronger readers but I knew that. He did say I'm a good candidate for having my very droopy eyelids fixed surgically as they do interfere with my vision, I knew that too but undecided if I want to have it done. Has anyone had it? How did it go?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9394123

i know 2 people & they were glad they did

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9394144

Posted in other bldg, but mom had hers lifted, could see so much better, and felt better about herself. Seemed to be a simple procedure

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9394181

Love that picture of Bella, she is so precious!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 23, 2013
3:12 AM

Post #9394407

Morning all, bitter cold out there, was hoping for a snow day but not! Lol

Bella is just too adorable, what precious moments/memories you are having with her.

Karen, no knowledge of the proceedure, like you I would have to think twice about having it done.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2013
3:54 AM

Post #9394418

Bella is so adorable!!! She looks like she is just filled with wonder...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
4:50 AM

Post #9394433

Barb/Betty/Cher - saw something about a Nor' Easter up there. How is the weather?
Have all but 2 blocks for the Sandy quilt & plan to start getting the rows together today. The 2 missing blocks are coming from Australia. Found out a local group is having a quilt sale in April so need to get some of my tops quilted & hopefully sold.
Also need to pull out some patterns & start using the fabrics in my stash. Really want to use up at least 1/2 this year.

So I will grab some breakfast then head out tot he Studio.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
5:34 AM

Post #9394454

http://www.thequiltingcoach.com/

Got this in my in box this morning. Dont know if its worth signing up, but for free, I thought it might be worth a shot.

OK, so if Jean can start quilting this early in the am, Im giving myself permission to as well.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 23, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9394475

morning from cold canada...-39 this morning brrr
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
6:09 AM

Post #9394491

ooooooooo dear...minus anything, except lbs., doenst sound good.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9394546

First I saw "39" and thought, wow, quite warm up there. Then I looked a bit closer and saw the "-". OUCH!!!!

I got side tracked to the grocery store this AM. Got home & forgot the laundry det and also to stop at the ATM so will need to go back out this afternoon.

Now, will make a cup of tea & head to the sewing.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 23, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9394619

Wish I was there sewing with you all!!!!

Maybe tonight I'll work on something..scrapped my painted morning glory panels..I'll use them for something else and will do the pattern in applique as the pattern asks for. Did entertain me for a bit though.

Did last night take out all my scraps and cut either into squares or strips, worked a few hours and they are organized and ready to become a treasure.

Yesterday I was in contact with Juanita's sewing store in Midland..dealer for Husqvarna..made appt. to have a 2 hour lesson on Feb.9th. At the same time I ordered the clear plexi table 24" x 24" to go with the quilting machine, should be in before or at least by my lesson time .

Big sigh, bored, should have brought something in..guess it's surft the web.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9394626

Those MGs are so BEAUTIFUL. You better find a use for them.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9394646

I thought your whole concept and what you had started was fantastic. I can't believe you are just going to put it away!!! I'd give so much to have your painting ability and be able to use it like you did...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2013
8:19 AM

Post #9394668

What do you think this is? I'll be back later to show you!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 23, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9394712

Gee, that's a hard one..looks pretty though.

Hmmm, could it be like a running quilt top, jelly role type of sewing??

This message was edited Jan 23, 2013 11:52 AM

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9394768

bunches of pieces sewn together...

border for quilt on the bottom of the stack.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2013
9:52 AM

Post #9394811

Bottom of the stack is the center of the quilt. The rest is the pieced border waiting to be ironed!!! Won't put it together until tomorrow. Achy back today...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 23, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9394818

B E A U T I F U L Barb, love your choice of pattern and color. Is this one of the ones you do with your group?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9394834

Betty, I can't believe you put the morning glories aside. I loved what you were doing and was counting the days before we saw the top finished!!!!!!

Cold here this morning but certainly no "-" degrees...yikes!! Kim said it was in the upper 20s when she got up at 5:30 but lazy mom doesn't roll out until 7:30 - 8. When the knee is comfortable, I stay put!!! Can I get away with that excuse? LOL

Bella is adorable, Kathy. I would have a hard time staying away if it were me.

Karen, I posted in the other building that several aunts have had the procedure done. One just had it done about 7 months ago and said she wished she had done it sooner. Go for it!!!

Moving slowly today but getting a few things done. See the orthopedic doctor tomorrow and hopefully will learn what will be done. Picked up the MRI on Monday and was given a written report for my files. Scary! 3 torn ligaments, bucket tear (whatever that is) in the maniscus and a cyst. I know they will drain the cyst but the other things...who knows. All this for missing one lousy step!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 23, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9394866

Heart goes out to you Marion, know it's a worry for sure. Got to love it when they give you all the results and you read not knowing what they really say, should say, 'has this-not major with a fix of...'
Go on computer to read about the issues and it's 10 x more frightening! Overwhelming but better to know the results..

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2013
1:40 PM

Post #9395050

Betty, these are the borders to go on the center that I posted on Jan 17. The post only shows two rows but there are five and I didn't take a picture of it. I will try for one before I put the borders on tomorrow. Twisted the wrong way and the back is saying no sitting at sewing machine today!
This is a mystery quilt that I did through my local quilt shop.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2013 4:41 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9395078

I had a cyst under my knee for years. At least it gave me some fluid in there. Drs never seem concerned about it.
As for torn ligaments, depends on which direction they tore. The length is easier to fix than the width.
Don't really need the maniscus for much. Most of mine was removed a couple years ago. And the cartilage was removed bit by bit over a 15 year time frame.

Marion, you will be up & dancing before you know it!!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 23, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9395143

Went up and looked Barb at your posting of Jan17..Lordy that piece is beyond a work of art..love it! One that you are keeping?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9395374

I tried a pattern today that I had found somewhere on a web site. Looked easy and nice design. used just 2 fabrics. Well I know why there was not a close up pic of a finished quilt. Something is not correct with the directions & 1 part does not line up no matter what I do. Oh well - it can be a charity quilt. A child won't realize the problem & it is kid friendly fabric.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 23, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9395486

That's a good way to look at it - children are a lot more forgiving than we adults are!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 24, 2013
3:46 AM

Post #9395636

You would think the patterns would have to be proof read to make sure they are correct...wonderful that the project can still be used.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
5:26 AM

Post #9395680

Pattern was not put out by a company. Was on a blog or chat group I belonged to. I should know better than to trust it to be correct. Oh well.

My new customer picked up her quilt yesterday & really liked my quilting. I was very happy. She "leads" her quilt group & if she is happy, they will start bringing their quilts to me. The woman that came with her said she now needs to finish 3 tops and will bring those. Told them I'd gladly pick them up at the meeting next week. I'd like to get in a routine for doing at least 2 quilts a week. Don't want to be too busy, but definitely want business income.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 24, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9395730

Morning all,

We are having a heat wave, warmed up to -28 and by the time I drove to Barrie it was -24..almost short short time! NOT...

How lucky for you to be able to earn $$$ doing something you love..big responsibility though working with someone's treasure.

Which commercial quilting machine do you have?

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
6:38 AM

Post #9395789

Thats really great news Jean.

How did you fare at the fat quarter sale you were going to last week?

Glad your 'warming' up Betty.

Im actually working on my BOM blocks, not just thinking about it. I might have some of my own business for Jean one of these days.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9395880

Betty, I too can't believe your giving up on the painted morning glories! That is not like you at all! Sure hope you will just put them away for a short time, and get them back out later to finish!

Barb, love the orange, such a cheerful color! It is going to look nice on what you have done so far!

Marion, hope you get an easy and quick fix for your knee soon!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 24, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9395917

brrrr

Think when I washed them they didn't have the brilliancy (?) that matched the blocks..I am working on doing the 3 applique strips as we speak but tonight I'm going to quilt one strip and see what becomes of it.just means with my leftovers another could be made.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9395918

Beautiful Barb!! If you don't like it when you are done you sure can send it to me !!!

Betty, I ditto...can't believe you are not completing the painted flowers !!!

Marion, I am adding my well wishes to you on the knee. I cracked a knee cap once and it was horrible, can not imagine what the torn ligaments feels like.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9395933

Wonder when Marion was going today, cant wait to hear if they can fix Her up.

Barb, I think your quilts gunna turn out great.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 24, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9395955

You know, this would indeed be the first project I've never finished..you know me, start and regardless it's a done deal in a day or two or week at best..hanging my head in shame.

anxious as well to hear how Marion has made out.

Off to fabricland, few things I need to play over next 3 days at home

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
9:14 AM

Post #9395974

I got the two side borders on the quilt this morning and if the back holds out, I'll add the top and bottom. I'm thinking black binding will be the best for this one. Any other suggestions? By the way, I'm glad I changed the layout of the blocks so that the eye had places to rest. I also think it shows off the print fabric better as well.

I also finished the twisted wreath this week (I used the first panel I made with the too small squares for the back) and made a stuffed toy for a friend...

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr   Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr   Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr   Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr   

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9395982

Barb - I'd consider the off white or light print for the binding. I think, if you use black, the eye will be drawn to the binding and not to the beautiful work in the rest of the quilt. Using the light fabric, the binding won't be "noticeable".

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9395992

For some reason Jean, I've always strayed from using a light color for a binding. I think it has something to do with three sons who always dragged things around and the edges got horribly discolored. I just might give that a try. Maybe with the print fabric?

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9396178

http://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/detail/10816 check out this twister Illusion quilt

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
11:34 AM

Post #9396202

WOW!!! That is really pretty but I know it would knock me out!! I'd be happy with the base put together let alone twisting it!!!

I got the other two border pieces on this afternoon. Now to decide what to do with it. Keep it, donate it or give it away!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 24, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9396244

Barb, omg you amaze me..just love that piece, aren't you pleased with it now! love the child's pillow, you have been busy..must have found some of those boxes of fabric nearby lol

Love the twister, went to look for it, one site said out of stock and other links wouldn't let me purchase..drats
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9396405

Think you can order from here: http://www.quiltmoments.com/
quilt is at the bottom of the home page, Select Retail Order. It tells you how to order from them directly.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 24, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9396522

Thank you, will order tomorrow!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 24, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9396566

Helene - thank you for showing us that beautiful twister illusion quilt! Wow what a beauty!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
2:43 AM

Post #9396891

Betty, sure wish I could get into those boxes of fabric!!! These are projects that were started that I left out to finish. I had to have something to work on!!! I can only do so much packing at a time. Right now I'm under doctor's orders to stay inside due to this cold weather-it just takes away what little breath I have. I still have four more small bags with a project in each one. When those are gone I'll open the boxes or be moved in somewhere. I can't even go look at places right now though... And as much as I love and trust Norm, I would want to see a place before I moved into it...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2013
4:06 AM

Post #9396914

I didn't get the job, but at least I'm with the company I'm at until the 3rd week of Feb...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
4:22 AM

Post #9396919

Sorry to hear that Susan. But one will happen soon I'm sure...I'll keep you in my prayers for the RIGHT one to come along quickly...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9397044

Boy this darn flu has really kicked my butt, the actually sick only lasted 24 hours, thank goodness, but I feel totally useless, no stamina, no appetite. Since Tues. I've had two pieces of toast, I am drinking water as much as possible but the thought of food makes me very queasy. I finally crawled into the shower yesterday but it wore me out for the rest of the day and I slept for several hours.
Poor guy next door is wanting to come over and finalize our house deal but I'm really not up to it. We have our grandson and his baby Amelia here with us an I'm so worried about them getting sick, keeping well away.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 25, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9397046

Karen, lots of rest and fluids..am sure although you are feeling better it's not totally out of your system

Susan, very disappointing need!

Brrr, at home today, playing in sewing room, feeling the cold more than I have all week, furnace is on, living room, bedroom and basement fireplaces on, hot coffee in hand and just can
T seem to take off the chill..perhaps I too am coming down with a little something..wouldn't you know it wouldn't be during the week when I'd have more days off..lol

Enjoy your day, hoping its a sewing one

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9397058

Ladies, listen to your bodies, and get some rest when you need too. That crud kicked my butt for about 3 weeks.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9397122

Karen, hope you are feeling better. That mess can really knock you down for a while. Kim was down for 2 weeks almost the day she started her Christmas break. Was really hard to keep anything down plus the usual that goes with the crud. Take care of youself.

Barb, heed the doctor's advice...you can find a place later and I so agree, I would want to check anything out myself before moving into it.
How is Norm doing? Think about you guys often.

Sorry about the job Susan.

I can't remember if it was this thread or another one Jean mentioned about the knee. Yes, I will be just fine!!!! Everything she said is right and the only thing that is causing some problems is an old injury (happened since 2004) that I have no clue how happened. He is trying several things he hopes will clear the situation up without surgery. Cortisone shot (I had forgotten how many bad words I did know until the numbness wore off) hurt but was told it would. A regiment of exercises and a cream that you have thought was Kyrptonite from the cost. Limited driving (worried about it locking up which it does) and certainly no driving by myself down to see mom. That is the roughest thing. Go back in 6 weeks to see if maybe a cleaning of debris will be necessary or if maybe a knee replacement is on the horizon. Hope not!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 25, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9397171

Wonderful Marion that they will try all these avenues before moving forward with any type of surgery. I'm sure if push comes to shove, there would always be someone nearby who could drive you to see your mom. Must behave and do what he recommends or you know what will happen.

Got 2 applique panels done with fabric..now I look and decide which shall be put into the project

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 25, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9397187

Put up a panel of each to decided

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9397192

Applique is pretty but I'm still WILD about the painted Morning Glory!!! If you don't end up using the painted one, put a price tag on it. There are several people on this thread that would love to buy it! (Including me!)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 25, 2013

Post #9397217

Going to quilt the painted morning glory and see what it will look like. Sometimes you have to try both to see which you prefer. I've 1/2 strip (about 5morning glories) that I set aside, might just finish it this afternoon and get on with this pussy footing around and get the piece done regardelss which is being used

thanks for the input, always appreciated

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9397225

I truly admire how you FINISH what you start!!! Some us are GREAT starters but ... welll... we lack something in the FINSIHER department!!

I have today off and I'm working on the studio. My son (home on visit from China) is too tired to do anything yet today. So I'll keep on being busy at home until he's ready. My Dad's back in the hospital so I'll be fitting a visit in at the hospital as well. the beginnings of pneumonia again.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 25, 2013
10:45 AM

Post #9397239

Sorry to hear Pat that your dad is unwell..even the healthiest of people cannot seem to beat the virus that is going around.

Thank you, do try my best to finish what I start although I go off into another direction.

Off for Kraft dinner, nothing exciting for yums/yums but I do love Kraft dinner..lol

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9397258

Hey, it does not have to be gourmet for you to eat it, and if you love Kraft dinner, I say GO FOR IT!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
11:14 AM

Post #9397265

Betty I must say that I like the applique better with the blocks, They just seem to fit better IMHO. The painted panel is lovely and I'm sure if I hadn't seen the applique I would have loved it but since you showed us...
Back to bed for me, I feel not too bad until I get up then reel around like a drunken sailor. Hmmm just hit me I would like some lemon rice soup. Might see if me love would run to town for me.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2013 2:16 PM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
11:36 AM

Post #9397286

Betty, why not put them both in the quilt, one row of applique, one row of painted flowers?
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
12:21 PM

Post #9397336

I am voting for the applique as well. Wow do they look great. Is there any way to get some yellow into the painted ones. Maybe you can still use that for the middle strip and the applique on either side. Good news is, you cant go wrong, its a looker either way.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 25, 2013
12:24 PM

Post #9397341

I'm so laughing..was unsure, got a , like the painted morning glories..sat and sewed all around the painted one to get an idea of what it would look like, still unsure of using it for this quilt..come for a few minutes break and now we're talking that the applique seems to blend in..

Guess I'll just have to surprise you all..lol

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9397344

It's funny how we are all different and yet the same. I love the painted version best. I think it is the simplicity that speaks to me. It will be a fabulous quilt no matter which way you go Betty.
I spent today in the quilt room trying to pack up more. I found a couple more projects that were unfinished objects!! One is a table runner and one is a class I took at the local quilt shop. For the life of me I don't remember why these weren't finished but I will try to get them done now...
I'm feeling very guilty here Betty. I had no sooner sent the round robin package off to you when my doctor said no going out of the house when it is this cold. If I knew I was going to be housebound, I would have kept Susan's quilt and added Audrey's border. I have packed most of my fabrics but I did mark the boxes well and could do the borders. At the time I sent it to you, I thought I'd be on the go finding a new home and moving. I guess I should have known better because we all know about the best laid plans...
If you want to send it back to me, that would be okay. I'd add Audrey's border and then send it back to you.
Keeping your Dad in my prayers Pat along with LK's Dad and Marion's Mom. Hope their days are as easy as possible.
Norm's home - be back later...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 25, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9397366

Not a problem Barb, I can get it done..really should go into town but I'm so cold, think I'll make myself a hot toddy and cover up

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9397480

A hot toddy sounds good here too!!! I can't remember the cold lasting so long like this. It really drives me crazy not being able to go out. The last time was on the 16th for Norm's PET scan and I was going no matter what!!!! But you know, I've found out that I don't mind my own company!!! That was great for me for when we move, my kids won't be as close anymore and Lord only knows how often I would get to see "MY" Sean.
Hope you warm up soon my friend...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9397709

Didn't get my lemon rice soup, roads were too treacherous, I wouldn't let him go out. He did make me some egg drop soup and it tasted good. Made me queasy later though, a slice of toast helped that. Man I hate this, I have too much to do.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2013
10:11 PM

Post #9397832

Betty, I like both the painted one and appliqued...hard for me to decide which I like best.

Pat, please be careful when you go visit your dad. I am sending prayers he gets better really soon and will be back home. Enjoy the visit with your son. I had lunch today with my son for the first time in about 9 months...extra special treat. He had made me new legs for my cutting table his dad gave me about 20+ years ago as a Christmas gift. We went out looking for new hinges to attach them and he offered to treat me. :-)

Karen, please take double care as this "stuff" going around is horrible.

Got a call this afternoon that Type A strain of the flu has been confirmed on the wing where mom is. The person is in isolation, Tamaflu has been ordered given to all patients, staff and workers, all patients are confined to their rooms and they are screening visitors who come to visit. All visitors are required to wear mask and given small bottles of hand cleaner to be used before entering a room and when leaving.. Just hope this really helps as I am sure there are quite a few who have been exposed prior to this case being confirmed. My sister also told me that if another case is confirmed, the facility will be shut down to all visitor. Not going to make mom happy but that is for her own sake if it should happen. Praying it doesn't go that far as those on her wing are elderly, weak and fraile.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
4:17 AM

Post #9397886

I held my breath (like that would help) walking past the WalMart Pharmacy yesterday. The line was out into the isle & all the seats were full. And the isle with the OTC meds was also full of people. Just knew 98% of them were there for some sort of flu or virus meds.

Today will be sewing & yard work. Need to dig my Iris out. They are smothering themselves at the base of a Crepe Myrtle and don't get enuf good sunlight there.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2013
5:22 AM

Post #9397918

It seems pretty hard to avoid this bug. Daughter read that you are contagious before you feel sick and after you feel better. I get the shot every year and still seem to get the flu every year. Dr. just says..."Well it doesn't cover every kind of flu". Still seems like I ought to be able to avoid it once in a while. This one I have is ugly, Takes a lot to put me down but this has done it for sure. It leaves no choice in the matter, can barely move. I really wish at times I had gone to the hospital.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2013 8:25 AM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9398007

I heard on the news yesterday, that there is a virus going around also, it is called the NOROVIRUS! it givers you upset tummy, nausea, vomiting, and of course diarrhea. So please be careful when you have to go out.

http://www.cdc.gov/features/norovirus/
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9398038

Understand what you mean Jean. My daughter was complaining last night that there were kids at school who should definitely have stayed home.

Karen, just "humor" your body and take good care of yourself. I am really concerned what my sister will find at the nursing home when she goes to see mom today. Scary!

Pat, how is your dad doing?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2013

Post #9398080

I had lunch with 2 of my sons yesterday and "hung out" with them until it was time to go to the gym, then I went and saw my Dad.

I stayed with Dad for several hours yesterday. His cancer doctor ordered a bone marrow biopsy. He has had chronic lymphatic leukemia since 1976, his most recent blood draw revealed REALLY small red blood cells so they are thinking his cancer is also causing problems. They gave him a blood transfusion yesterday evening and will recheck his blood today. They are prepared to give him another unit today if it's helping.

I have not heard from Sister yet this morning. She was hoping to be there before the MD and get a report from MD when he comes in.

We're painting on the studio again today, then I'll probably make the trip to see my Dad again.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2013
11:39 AM

Post #9398230

Pat, I am so sorry to hear they might be thinking his cancer is causing the problems. Sending prayers and huge hug!

Enjoy the time with your sons. Mine only lives 6 miles away but with young children and his job, I still don't get to see him that much. He leaves tomorrow for Mississippi where he will be with a team of divers who will be mapping a barge, I think that is what it is. Not sure why but he is very excited to be doing some diving again. Yikes but it scares me!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2013
11:58 AM

Post #9398250

Oh Marion! I can't imagine how cold that water will be!!! The temps have been so low lately... I wish him well in his work..
Know what you mean about the kids living close but we never see them. Same situation with my daughter. I see her sons but only see her for 5-10 minutes at a time when she comes to pick Sean up!!!...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9398345

Pat, sorry to hear about your Da not doing ell. Sending orayers for him.

Marion, sending orayers for the nursing home too. Sure hope that virus does not spread to all the elderly, and weak patients.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2013
3:17 PM

Post #9398442

Funny you should think of the water temps Barb I did the same thing and he said they were actually doing a "shallow" dive and the suits are quite warm. See what he says when he gets back. Yes, I may not see him but he does call frequently.

LK, my sister just called and said they meet your at the door, check then give you a mask and gloves before letting you enter. All doors on the wing has been closed (which is really weird she said) and the room just before mom's room had a strip of yellow tape across with no entry. That is what worries me. All food is being served on paper and immediately put into trash bags before leaving the room. Precautions are being taken but it is a wait and see thing now.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9398458

Sounds like they are doing all they can to keep it under control, Marion. Hope all will be OK with your Mom.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9398495

Most of my sons are an hour away. I get to see most of them at least an hour or so at least every 2 weeks. It would be more if I made the effort more. They have only been to Othello a few times in the 3 years I've been here.

I'm going to finish putting the first coat of latex enamel on the wall above the studio kitchen cupboards and call it a night for painting. Headed out to see Dad yet tonight.

Marion, I can only guess how worried you must be. I know how I'd feel if that was going on in my Dad's hospital right now...

This message was edited Jan 27, 2013 1:33 AM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2013
5:35 AM

Post #9398875

Sounds like they are really trying to keep things under control Marion and that is all we can ask I think. You know I keep you and all your family in my prayers...
Going to start on my next ten totes today and I'm using the fabrics and gifts that you sent to me Marion. I'll get pictures before they go to the kids...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
5:39 AM

Post #9398877

Marion, that sounds like a lot of work for the staff, but they do have to be careful.
Pat, how is your Dad doing?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 27, 2013
5:43 AM

Post #9398884

Had similar situation when we had SARS ..what a scare that was..all for the best of the patients though.

Fighting a headache, hoping it will soon pass so I can have a leisurely day sewing!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9398925

Took a much needed shower. That's all for today, wore me out.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9398926

Took a much needed shower. That's all for today, wore me out. Hah! I lost 14 lbs. Sucks to do it this way though.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9398964

gee ladies I feel bad at whats happening out there at large and it's only January.Some stuff going on here too...

I hope it will get better toward spring. Winter and mid-summer always tring for the elderly..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 27, 2013
8:19 AM

Post #9398997

Headache all but gone, outer border and the morning glory to is ready to quilt.

Looked at my tote full of pieces that need quilting, best I stop making and start quilting!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013

Post #9399028

I'm also trying to get some of my tops quilted. Did 1; another loaded; 3rd ready to go on.
After that, just 10 or so more to go!!!!! I need my friend to come down for a week & do my borders for me. FL is much nicer than MD this time of year!!1
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2013
9:32 AM

Post #9399066

Yes, they are doing all they can to keep this from spreading. Helene, how are you doing? Worries me when you aren't posting very much.

Karen, yes, it sucks to lose weight that way but hope the worst is over for you now.
Pat, sending hugs that you find your dad so much better when you go visit...be careful.

Barb, I would love to see pictures of the totes. Need some more "stuffins"? Kim and I saw some really neat coloring books at Joanne's the other night and she asked if we should get some more. Let me know please.

Betty, what ever are we going to do with you and these headaches and pains. So hoping you get some relief...permanantly!!

Jean, I never cease to be amazed at all you accomplish. Boy I must be a real slacker!

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 27, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9399073

Need one more border to make it a good sized double..still one little tweek, middle strip at the bottom needs another flower then quilt it is..

Missy didn't like the fact that I covered her up to take a photo of the top lol

One of the reasons I did not put the painted pieces after much consideration (will use them later) was that I got an invite at weeks end to attend my boss daughter, my niece's wedding in Montego Bay, Jamaica in May..sooo will finish it, and that will be that!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze      

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9399115

Oh Betty it's just beautiful. I'm so sure they will love and treasure it. AND... if they don't just pack it back up and bring it to me because I surely would.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
10:49 AM

Post #9399133

That turned out really nice Betty, very pretty!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9399136

Think these go better because there is that touch of yellow in the flowers. Very nicely done!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 27, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9399165

Now to get it finished..

Had lunch and thought why not finish one of those projects sitting in the tote..

Not sure I have the correct color thread for quilting nor the backing, now on a searching mission.

If not, back in the pile it will go and off to look for something else..got to finish something this weekend.

why is it every time we want to finish something we just short of something..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9399229

I do like the applique better than the painted MG.The quilt is now beautiful.

I am OK just lazy. Had my DD and SIL here leaving tomorrow so we did a bit of eating out and just hanging out as she too has this horrible Sore throat and horrible coughing. When small she ften got the groop and coughing with colds is just a wekness she still has. horrible though. Christmas the other DD and SIL were here and she too was sick here - differeent - If one can avoid it, count your blessings.

Apt is showing often but no bites.bathrooms are not state of the art as the rest of the house so I think it's shows kinda lop sided. In beach setting, like this, and after the realestate having done what it did, every one wants a short sale and all freshly reno. Well if I reno than I don't sell.

Baked a few things for a memorial service we had here for a deceased friend.outrageous Pound cake with Fl strawberries and fresh whipped cream.
Key Lime squares/ bites and danube waves a viennese dessert. People flipped. sandwiches and salads before.
Need to start to do some sewing.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 27, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9399236

Mouth watering here, bit of apple cake/sauce for my desert but would much rather have yours. Sorry to hear about your friend!

Think the virus is throught North America, can only find oneself luck if they don't get it. The only time I had the flu that seemed forever to get rid of is the year I did get a flu shot...since then I've not had it..touch wood, watch me get it now that I've said it.

One of these showing you will defnately sell..
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9399246

Love the quilt Betty. You coudnt ask for more, its perfect.

I just had some sara lee pound cake with some fresh strawberries ( O dont you love it when they start picking in plant city) the other night. The pound cake was horrible, new recipe, not that the the old recipe really tasted like my pound cake, but edible. I just love a good pound cake, think I might have to make one, calories and all.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 27, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9399274

Ok, was trying to decide if I would fly to Florida mid February, now you've got me convinced..just love fresh strawberries
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9399331

My road side tomato guy had Homestead strawberries last week. I just got the tomatoes but the strawberries were very red. I should have asked for a sample.

Got about 2/3 of the quilt quilted today. Had to stop to change the bobbin & a friend came over & that was the end of that.

Dreary & windy here this afternoon...looked like winter.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 27, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9399342

Jean - how DARE it look like winter in the middle of winter?!?!?!?!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9399354

Is it fair to be peevish with people doing serious gardening right now? I find that so annoying. :>)

Costco has very good pound cake. Trouble is you have to by three in one package. I have found they function well for making trifles and tiramisu so one cake is incorporated into a dessert when entertaining and leftovers go to making trifles, etc. for social meetings and pot lucks. I think it's $6.99 for three pound cakes. Can't beat that. There are very few desserts that freeze as well as pound cake because of the high fat content.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 27, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9399362

mmmmmmmmm love trifles!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9399371

Laurel - you can come down & garden here anytime you wish!!!!! Bring your tiller!!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
4:00 PM

Post #9399387

Susan, you'll have to head south a bit. For DD's country wedding weekend shindig last July, which I catered, I made individual peach, strawberry and blueberry trifles in Ball collection series jars. http://www.target.com/p/ball-4ct-platinum-wide-mouth-jars-8oz/-/A-129115 She was wed in July so we had fresh Georgia fruits all the way around. I made the trifles days in advance and then topped them with fresh, homemade whipped cream and then planted two dark chocolate hazelnut sticks in each one. Those were German imported chocolate.

Jean, how did you know I had a tiller? lol I love my Troy Built Pony. It is now collectable and was a birthday present back in the day (eighties). I got it barely used then. I say back in the day because I easily remember getting Wanda, my beloved Kubota tractor, for the fiftieth. I love its two speeds... "Rabbit" or "Turtle". We should all operate that way. Okay, I'll come till but you need to know my tiller makes some serious changes in the landscape.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9399392

The quilt is stunning Betty. What a nice job - and yes, the yellow in the flowers did make a difference. It is really pretty and I'm sure Paul's daughter will be thrilled with it...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9399403

Betty, quilt is BEAUTIFUL ^_^ and I think it would have been beautiful with the painted flowers!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9399532

New thread!!! and can you see!!! I FINALLY have pictures!!! sorry it's the cat but I had to learn on something. Look out, he's unleased a monster!! I will bore you all to tears in the next week with pictures of every mundane thing I have ever made. (You'll be sorry Helene!)

Thumbnail by psychw2

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
6:53 PM

Post #9399534

Link to new thread; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295707/

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
7:59 PM

Post #9399594

We will NOT be sorry !!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9399948

TIE (tears in my eyes) finally. Wooohooo. Never sorry - everything I do (mostly everything) I do with full intentions.
It will be fun. Easy Peasy isn't it.?!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2013

Post #9400368

Especially when my son showed me I could down load DIRECT from card to computer and then label and attach... WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOeeeeeeeee!! LOL

I'm sorry it took me so long. I was so afraid you'd think I didn't appreciate it since it was taking me sooooo long do use it and show that I was learning it! THANK you, thank you!!

This message was edited Jan 28, 2013 9:59 PM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9400525

Way to go Helene and Pat!! You know we all will appreciate your thoughtfulness Helene...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9400615

see the newer compu are more photo friendly than mine... but I like the editing in the canon softawre...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9400635

Well we made the deal today to sell our home in northern MI so we can move to warmer TN. Ship really hit the sand when I announced to the family. You'd have thought we never mentioned it before. I feel really bad but it's the best thing for us at this time in our life. We have nearly 30 years of family memories here at the lake. But the fact is, very few have the time to come here any more.

Thumbnail by siliolegma   Thumbnail by siliolegma   Thumbnail by siliolegma   Thumbnail by siliolegma   Thumbnail by siliolegma

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 28, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9400657

Congratulations Karen...we are at an age that we have to start thinking of ourselves..quite an adventure you will now embark on!

Love the photo's..know how you are feeling, was difficult to sell my home on the lake as well..dug a pond and still have the sounds of water...lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 28, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9400665

"ship hit the sand" LOL Too funny... will have to use that, with your kind permission, Karen LOL
And you really need to look after yourself, after 30 years of selflessly looking after the family's fun!
How much warmer is TN?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9400691

We are all having a teary day, didn't intend to make them sound selfish, they really are happy for us, just sad to lose"our place".

Susan use it as you wish, not my line, heard it many years ago and use it on occasion.

Photos are just a tiny piece of our memories. #1 was about 18 years ago. #2 is my most favorite I call it "a fishing we will go". #3 was a good 20 years ago, New Years..all those kids are grown up now. #4 was the Memorial weekend over 20 years ago that nearly all of them came down with Chicken Pox. # 5 was just last summer.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9400749

(Pssst... we're over here! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295707/)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2013
7:14 AM

Post #9401139

That is where we are... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295707/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America