-
AuthorContent
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 13, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9383920

Oh, whee...went to Lowe's today hoping for a few bargain orchids on their "live or die" table. I hit paydirt. There were about 7 on there and I took 4. They were phals...one was $2.00 and the other 3 were $3.00 each. I kind of dug down through the moss to see if they had any amount of viable looking roots and I think they do. I took them up in the greenhouse when we got home and I took them out of the pots for a better look, I think they are all ok. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow.
glevely
Sanford, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9383971

yaaa for you !! I sure wish our Lowes had orchids :o( but I did get one from a friend at work today kind of a rescue case we got it for her when she had breast cancer 3 years ago and she never repotted it or any thing the roots look sad but not dead and the leaves all died but two very sad ones so I tookit out of the pot and trimed all the dead root off gave it a good drink and repotted it will watch it to see if its going to make it or not I sure hope it dose its phal
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 13, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9384021

My other phal has done so well on the piece of cork, I got more to put these on a piece too. All the pet shop had was a large round, so I will break it into at least 3 pieces, hopefully I can make 4 out of it. LOL

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9384066

Way to go, Anna. Hope they all live for you.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 14, 2013
8:05 PM

Post #9385375

Well, the 4 phals are mounted on some cork...I don't hold out much hope for 2 of them. After taking them out of their pots and trimming off all the dead roots, there wasn't much there that looked viable. So, I put those 2 on the same piece of cork. The other 2 had really nice roots, didn't have to trim much out of those at all. So, I do have better than average hope for those. I took a couple pix, I'll try and post those tomorrow that show the lack of decent roots. They had them in a plastic pot which was set into a clay pot. The clay pots had NO drain holes. Good God...and then they water them and the excess water has no place to go so they rot the roots. You'd think that for orchids they would at least set them in a clay pot with drainage when they come from the nursery (or wherever they spent their "formative years")

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9385856

Don't give up hope, even a lack of roots isn't a death sentence, because they can take in a lot of moisture and nutrient through the leaves. Just keep up with the misting. I have a couple with hardly any roots, but the foliage is looking fine, and new roots are starting after about a month of tlc.

The ones I got were all in that same potting situation. Plastic inside clay with no drainage. The growers are motivated to have people kill those orchids so we will buy more. Cut some holes in the clay pots with a little Dremel wheel, and you can use those clay pots for other orchids.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 15, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9385861

But, how many people will NOT buy more orchids because they think that their care (or lack thereof) killed them and will not go to the expense of trying again?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2013
9:34 AM

Post #9385883

So true, but I think a lot of non-gardener type people just buy those orchids as disposable decor. They're better value than cut flowers when the blooms last for a month or more.

The growers don't want them to put up more flowers, they want people to throw them away and buy a new one every month. Every one of my rescues from last fall had spent flower stems on them, and all but one (out of 5) have new buds coming now. I'm saying "nyah nyah, growers". LoL.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 15, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9386171

You would think that with what all goes into orchid culture, the growers would be ecstatic that "some" of us can keep them going. But, what do I know?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America