Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cacti and Succulents: Aeonium cuttings gone floral

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 7, Views: 126
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

January 13, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9383950

It looks like a couple of Aeonium heads I started this fall have turned into inflorescences. As soon as I started seeing so much stem, I got suspicious. It's not the first time this has happened. Sort of a bummer to see a successful propagation terminate, but it looks like it'll be a good show. Thought I would share.

First up is Aeonium "Cyclops", many buds now appearing at the end. For comparison, the third picture shows an inflorescence from the garden that's a bit further ahead. Eventually it turns into the usual yellow cone of flowers.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

January 13, 2013
3:34 PM

Post #9383955

A second plant looks to be doing sort of the same thing. For comparison, the third picture shows a different head of the same plant, actually started earlier, but much less stemmy.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero      

helenchild
Decatur, GA

January 17, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9387977

They sure are pretty.
Little_things
Port Elizabeth
South Africa
(Zone 10a)

January 17, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9387996

You must wait till they finished and the use the dry flower heads and grow some seed. They are easy. The old stems will give more heads as well.
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 17, 2013
9:40 AM

Post #9388165

Baja I sympathize. I bought a 4" single stem Aeonium that was a new one to me last spring and it flowered almost immediately. Put on a nice show for several months, but I wanted it in the garden!

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

January 17, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9388419

I admit I've entertained thoughts of sowing seeds from this pair, see what comes out of that. Ideally they would be giant and purple like Cyclops but ultra branchy like the green one (mother plant has about 50 heads). But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Easy is very good. Another plant here that recently started flowering unexpectedly was a silver Dyckia, maybe I'll try that too (they're supposed to be self-fertile, and my other Dyckia was). The biggest succulents I've grown from seed (3yo) are still in 3.5" pots... every time I look at them, I remind myself to be patient. Patience is not a virtue I possess in great abundance.

Annie, nothing happened after the flower? Some kinds of Aeoniums don't get very big before they flower and die. Maybe you just picked one that doesn't branch? The last two times I started an Aeonium cutting and it went to flower, I chopped off the flower stalk right after the show and new branches sprouted at the stump, so I'm not giving up hope on these plants. My main concern at this point is keeping the bugs out of the picture. Potted Aeoniums in flower are the ultimate bug magnets, and not just the furry buzzing kind. Fortunately the ants aren't that active right now.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

January 18, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9389302

Few pictures from today. Pretty good image of the leaf to bract continuum on #1. It's nice to be able to move the pots around and get the right light.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

March 3, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9437662

Of course I should have foreseen this... Doh! Both plants ended up falling over in the wind and breaking their heads off. We get these freak wind events in winter. Moral of the story: anchor flowering Aeoniums in something heavy and give them better wind protection.

The head on the right (closeup in pic 2) belongs to the purple plant. It will probably continue to do its thing. The second plant's head is inside (as a "cut flower", without water) and all the buds have opened up in there.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero         

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America