Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Could this be?

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

Could this be a Andrena bee? It has white on it's face as well and black and white right down to the tail end.

Thumbnail by mgarr Thumbnail by mgarr
Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

When i searched for Andrena species in NE US, I ran across this Cellophane Bee, Colletes inaequalis which looks a lot like what I can see of your pic...

Andrena images

And these Andrena prunorum images for comparison

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 9:34 AM

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 9:34 AM

Minot, ND

More likely a leaf-cutting bee in the subfamily Megachilinae - note the pollen-carrying hairs on the underside of the abdomen.

Pollen collection seems to be easy for this bee. I have a few bee houses and some holes are covered with flower petals and foliage. I'm going to have to guess leaf-cutting bee. Thanks for all your help.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Murphysboro, IL(Zone 6b)

Flapdoodle is right, that bee is in the family Megachilidae, the leaf cutting bees. (definitely not an Andrena or a Colletes). Megachilids are the only bees that carry their pollen load underneath their abdomen, rather than on their hind legs.

I'll try and remember the tip about pollen being carried underneath their abdomen. I have many bees in my yard. Thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.