-
AuthorContent
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9384324

In case you don't know or have forgotten I am prone to typos and occasional ...um ...forgetting...(just in case the Kelly Twins are watching) I havent made a thread in over a year so I am rusty. Patience and pre-forgiveness...and on we will go!!
"Beginning"
Noun
"The point in time or space at which something starts."

Postage Plunders
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286269/

Iris Draw for the New Bees is here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294140/

As far as I can tell...We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1111944/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293657/
new thread

Chat Thread here also lots of new and old Newbees...be sure to stop in and introduce your self...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152857/

K here we are!! This thread is for Newbie information and questions, No scrambles on this thread...

To get your free seeds

Be Sure to put your dmail name and a note of wants in your envie, along with return name and address
Address exchange is here http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/
You have to add your information to be able to access everyone else's

Please feel free to Dmail me with questions
Many of us "oldies" and some Newbies would like to share our seeds with those of you new to Dave's. By new, we mean you joined in the last 8 months(or so) and are a paying member.
Send me a SASBE (Self addressed, stamped bubble envelope) and we'll send you 10 packets of seeds. (Usually more, depends on our stash) That's all there is to it. Let us know you are sending your envy. Just Dmail me with sent envie today in the subject. You will get a good variety of good seeds.

If you can, stick a note in your envy and tell me they types of things you like. Veggies and Flowers, some seeds you are looking for, stuff like that. It will help me fill your envy. I can't always get just what you ask for, but will try.

Postage keeps going up so now we need five usually,

Send 5 stamps and an address label with your name on it.
4 of the stamps will go back on your return envy, the extra will go into the "pot" I don't use it for personal use, but it helps when some mail comes with postage due and when the "oldies" send boxes of seeds sometimes there is postage due.
Best thing to do is just send me an empty bubble envy with your label and stamps inside. I can use that same envy to send your seeds back. Saves that envy!!
Also, if you will scotch tape the envy to send to me, I can use the self adhesive and won't destroy your envy pulling them open when I get them.
Please make sure you put enough stamps on your envelope you send to me. An empty bubble envy is at least 84 cents, so two stamps. If you are sending seeds, it's more of course.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR D MAIL NAME WITH YOUR ENVY.

I am in the address exchange, so you know where to send the envy. If you can't find it, just d mail and I'll shoot it right to you. At the top of your home page, you'll see the link "EXTRA'S" ,Go into that link, scroll down and you'll see the address exchange this goes to the exchange http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/ you have to add yourself to the exchange then you can get my address.

Oldies!
If you would like to donate seeds, it would be great.!! I know how much I loved it when I was new and someone sent me seeds to get me started. Now I want to pay it forward and maybe you would too.

For those of you who would like to help the newbies, but just don't have a lot of seed, if you would like to trade for seeds, that is great as well. Send seeds for the newbies and I will send you the same amount back. Put a note in with your DG name and let me know what you are looking for also.
Happy Gardening Everyone,
Robin

* I try to give you what you put in your note of wants. The seeds for the newbees are donated by gardeners all over the world. I can not promise you will get what you ask for. You will get a great envie of seed!! Robin

If you are Zone 8 or above please send donations and requests to Rising Creek.
You will find her here http://davesgarden.com/members/risingcreek/

If you are zone 7 and above please send donations and request to me here
http://davesgarden.com/members/arejay59/

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 3:54 AM

This message was edited Feb 11, 2013 2:53 AM

Thumbnail by arejay59
Click the image for an enlarged view.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9384326

I think we are in let's see who stops in first!! It used to be our favorite game!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
3:56 AM

Post #9385553

Please post here if you have requested free seeds for postage for newbees so I can find you!! The directions to get them are at the top of this page!!
paula_p
Brazoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9385604

hi Robin, I subscribed last year, guess I am still considered a newbie.
thanks for giving this another try:)

I'll mail a SASBE later this week.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2013 8:00 AM
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9385606

Nice to meet you Paula!!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9385607

Hi Robin! Good to see ya back. Glad to see a revival of the Newbee Seed Stash, thought we might have lost that idea somewhere. I remember getting my first envelope years ago, it was huge!

Thanks for all the time and work you've put into this.

Al
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9385635

Oh Al So good to see you!! I think of you often and those beautiful sunflowers and I still remember the tomato plants you sent me years ago all wrapped into there own little homemade pot!! Do you remember the brilliant idea you had at Christmas one time the VHS holders you filled them with hot chocolate packages and seeds and candies? !!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9385713

We had a lot of fun with the VHS boxes. Some people actually sent them back to me with their goodies. One lady sent me homemade Christmas cookies and a sample package of coffee!

I've still got last year's sunflower and tomato seeds up to my ears, I'll see what I can do.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9385828

Yeaaaaaaaaaa!!!! We are "on the road again." YeeeeHawwwww!!!! Paula so great to have you join us. Now we have increased by one... Hello Al. My Sweet friend Arejay...
I loved my VHS care package...from Al.
I will have some extra seeds if you need any Robin. Just hollar. I even have some bottlebrush seed... I got three plants up from them too...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
8:59 AM

Post #9385844

So glad to see this revived! I also remember receiving my newbie seeds years ago, it was wonderful!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2013
10:47 AM

Post #9385957

Welcome back. We are try to revive it. Please tell your friends. You are welcome to share the link...
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9386069

Hi Robin,

I did donate seeds before. Please let me know in a d-mail what seeds you're looking for for the newbies.
I don't want to send in seeds that you already have plenty.

Jonna
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
1:11 PM

Post #9386161

Hi everyone!! Boy there is some energy in here!! I guess we made the right decision
To bee gin again!! Yes Jonna you did donate and great seeds you sent!! We are starting
Fresh so you can't send any wrong ones!! Spring is coming!! I know there are new bees
Looking for seeds ..to turn into addictions...lol do you remember how fast you go from
New bee to addicted ?
We have a new new bee helper too!! I will introduce you to her in the morning. Hugs
To you all I will see you at sunrise.
RiverNymph
the Mountains, CO
(Zone 4a)

January 15, 2013
2:30 PM

Post #9386311

Ok I just want to get this correct..
I send a bubble envelope inside of another envelope, put five stamps inside, my DG name, address... note of interests...
Are garlics totally out of the question? lol =) I'm assuming so. hehe... And is it ok if I send a pre-used bubble envelope?

This is so cool. Thanks Arejay.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2013 3:30 PM
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9386329

Hmmm garlic s...you never know!!! You got it right and used is best!!! We are gardener s and seed savers!!! Address the envelope you send you don't need to send two you can use those sticky labels address the first one with your name and address and put one over it taped not stuck with my name and address I can peel it off put your stamps on fill it and send it back!!!;)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9386353

Hola Happy People! I'm not a newbie to the site, but may I join in the cheerful chat too please? =) I don't need seeds, just like nice, soil-covered people. :) Oh, and I'm an addict too, does that help? ;) heeheeheee
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9386363

Meeeeee toooooooo!!!!! I'm so happy it's up and running again! I felt so welcomed to DG when I got my envy, was very sad that the program went astray. I will have some leftovers, delighted to contribute!

Pam

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9386377

Oh, Goody, I am so happy you all have found us. Welcome , welcome...
Charleen

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9386389

Geeeee thank you! < =D I love your response "Oh Goody"! =) Wheeeee, new friends!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
1:00 AM

Post #9386737

Good Morning,
Is everyone up? The sun will be up and way ahead of you if you aren't!! Wake up wake up!!

Oh Goody!! That's my Bumble!! XO If you think Ive lost my mind(which I do now and then) Talking to someone named Bumble that you cant find in the thread, Im talking to Rider as you all know her. I have to remind myself to call her Rider. She reminds me of a happy bumble bee flying in making everything happy and growing,helping any flower in the garden. Even the weeds, which by the way are my favorite flowers ,(I favor the herbs) oh and the Irises...which are technically and herb, so I called her bumble one day and it just stuck!!
Now speaking of Irises!! Yes you guessed it he is back !! Our Tallbearded Iris extraordinaire has come in from the garden as it is covered with snow right now!! He is ready to rumble!! Mitt who you will run into sooner or later has offered up a box of Irises!! Yeay!!! All those that donate seed and post on the thread and all New Bees that request seed and post on the tread will be entered into the drawing!! In March we will do a draw and someone will get a box(have you ever seen a box of Mit's Irises? Ill show you if I can remember...
He is the best isnt he!! XO Mit!!
Now one more thing, my new helper!! Her name is Risingcreek and she has graciously offered her help!! Yeah welcome aboard Risingcreek. We haven't worked out the details but we will!! You can find her here http://davesgarden.com/members/risingcreek/
Go easy on her she is new to the new Bee helping job!! It looks like we are back in the new Bee seed business( can you call it business when everything is free?)!!! everyone do a happy dance.
Bumble do you see DG has added a new feature I can add 5 photos at a time!! Maybe we will get an avatar soon!!
Here comes a Mits box of Iris!! Stay tuned !! Boy that took a while!! I think this is one of the boxes I got from Mit years ago!! I wonder if it took so long to find it because I am disorganized or I need more Irises...hmmm

Thumbnail by arejay59   Thumbnail by arejay59   Thumbnail by arejay59      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
2:59 AM

Post #9386763

**Singing** "Oooh what a beautiful mooooorrrrning, Oh what a beautiful daaayyyy..." **ahem; spritzes throat**. < =D A glorious morning to you Arejay... may I call you RJ? =)
I do love the name "Bumble" for Rider... I adore bees, that's what I grow my Verbena and Agastaches for (.. and the Cosmos and Daisies, heehee), and I love to go out and deadhead them amongst all the little Bumblers and talk to them while I prune, they're just so cute and happy. I'm sure the neighbors think I'm a little bit Cookoo-luukoo; "Hello there little Bumblee bee, how are you today? Bee careful now (chuckle out loud to myself), I'm gonna water over here, don't want to get your furry little feet wet!" ..and so on. They just buzz happily around, and I know they are on a mission, but it just seems as though they are there purposefully to make **me** feel welcomed and happy... all to say, I think I may just have to adopt the name Bumble for Rider as well... it simply fits! =)

Up at 4:00, got any good worms yet? ;) I am regularly up between 4:00 and 4:30, packing up my Sweetheart DH for work; making coffee, packing his lunch, starting up the van if it's cold... you know, the usuals. Then I do the dishes, straighten up the house, then I get to sit here for a bit before I get busy; sorry I'm late this morning! :)

WOW at your field of Irises!!!!!!!!!!!! (oh, and before I forget, a warm, open-armed Hello! to Risingcreek!) ... now, back to that field.. GREAT GOOGLEY MOOGLEY!! I bet it feels and smells Heavenly in there!! Hmmm... I'm not sure.. DO you need more?? heeheeheee

So, here's a question for you: (it's a multi-parter, hope you have your cup of coffee/tea ready). ;)

I would like to donate to the Seed Society. I'm thinking I should do it this way, please make corrections as necessary:

1: Contact you via D-Mail, providing a list of the seeds I would like to donate.
2: After you've told me where to mail them and which ones I should send, package them all up in individual doubled-up baggies, with printed information in each baggie.
3: Insert all baggies into a bubble envelope and mail them to you.
4: Post a big THANK YOU in here for allowing me to assist.

Have I pretty much got it covered?

As for #2, I cannot access info in the address exchange since I am not listed there. But, I did pay attention to the instructions!! < =D

Okey dokey, now I'm off (my rocker) to peruse the rest of the site, look forward to coming back later and chatting more; meanwhile, I hope everyone enjoys their Bee-You-teeful day! =)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
3:14 AM

Post #9386774

Oh Good Morning Speediebean!! You are gonna love it here!! And we are gonna love you here!! So ...now if you are looking to donate no need for lists!! Send it we will love it!!! Box bag or tupperware we don't care what it comes in!! I have had glorious seed arrive in everything from pill bottles to paper towels!! I hold no prejudices!!! Ill cmail no wait lol dmail you with the place to send!! Thank You Thank You did I say Thank You!!
Now for the Iris Garden ..I must have left out some words lol imagine ...that is Mit's Garden not mine...Mine is lovely my iris garden but his whoa!! Imagine tip toeing through those tulips!! No Irises, tiptoe through the Irises at Mits!!
Dmail on the way my new friend Speediebean!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
3:15 AM

Post #9386776

Yes you can call me RJ that's slang for Arejay!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
4:09 AM

Post #9386798

Heeheeheee, I was thinking the same thing "Tiptoeing through the Irises", you read my mind! =) I would LOVE to tiptoe through Mit's Irises, it must smell like HEAVEN there!!

You'd have laughed at me, when I first saw your name, I actually started to pronounce it out loud... came out RJ, and I actually laughed out loud! HA!! Very creative! =)

Heeheeee, I will try to send the seeds in an orderly fashion.. I'm picking up "bad" habits from DH. ;) They are currently stored on a shelf in my basement in a hodge-podge of bottles/jars etc, but I don't see me using them any time soon; school starts in just a couple of weeks, then back to work a few weeks after that... NO TIME!! < =0 (I work at a nursery/garden center, get laid-off from Christmas through end of February). Have decided to get serious about "Playing In The Dirt" for a living, so going back to school for EnvironMENTAL Sciences... at the ripe old age of 48. YIPES, talk about MENTAL! ;) heeheeheee Anyway, yardening will suffer for a while until I get the hang of this, so I may as well make sure my seeds all have a good home, right? RIGHT! I couldn't agree with you more. =)

OK, just one more thread to peek at, then I have GOT to get to that messy basement job! I'm scared... ;)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
4:13 AM

Post #9386801

lol nothin there but spiders !! maybe a mouse youll find lots of those in your environmental science studies!! You go girl!! 48 years young you are!!
By the way I laugh outloud at me all the time!! Glad you could join me!! LOLOL
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9386880

I'm in Spain at the moment, but I'll be back home the end of January, so I'll send you some seeds early February.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9386944

No rush at all Jonna anytime you have them to send!! enjoy your trip!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9386978

Here's my Mule and his donkey herd, doing what Long Ears do best and that is EAT...
Bumble is a good name, i call myself that. I rather shaped like a Bumble too!!! So nice to have Rising creek to our growing group.
Speedie, you will love it here and everyone else will too. We are taking an old thread and bringing back to life . Just like some of our favorite plants that go to sleep in the Fall and wake up in the Spring. You will find a strange sort of ages here and everyone is kept younger by our love of "playing in the dirt."
So, You all, grab a beverage of your choice and enjoy being Newbees with some of us Oldsters...Welcome and love to all...
Charleen and Charley (the big red mule)

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
7:36 AM

Post #9386983

Thats my girl!!
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9387093

Hi everyone. Glad to be a part of this very worthwhile project. I am in the address exchange, will be happily filling newbie requests as long as my seed stash holds out. also, I will try to get your seeds back to you within 1-2 days of receiving your envelope. (hopefully) right now I have plenty of bubble mailers, so you can just send the stamps in a regular envelope, will let you know when that changes.
kc

edited to say just send stamps and address dont need a label

This message was edited Jan 16, 2013 11:20 AM
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9387121

Mitt sent me some fabulous irises I still have out there. The rest of the stash has been pretty good also.

I have vast quantity of sunflower, marigold, and zinnia seeds but need time to package up and label properly for Spring. Some left over tomatoes, giant pumpkins, and scarlet runner beans, too

Who are we sending this stuff to?

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
9:52 AM

Post #9387160

Arejay59,

FUN! I am newbie, just joined this month! I love this site. The avatar joke was a hoot, but seriously Melody (Dave's Garden computer whiz staff member) saved me yesterday. I seemed to have logged myself off forever. I couldn't get to my dmail (Gasp!). She was soooo much help! I do my best on these iPhone/computers, but I really love to dig and hope for something wonderful to grow. Speediebean's neighbors should be thankful. I got out and threw fertilizer in a light shower (mom always said that way you don't burn the leaves:)) and I'm pretty sure my neighbors thought I had lost it! We had just moved here to sunny north Florida! My yard was . . . sand box. Now we all share flowers! :). I've got 1DH, 2 sons and daughter-in-lovelies, Dad (with us), 1 old mix cocker spaniel, 'Tweety', two pomeranians Pierre and Francesca, 3 cats, Neko, Snowball and Vinnie and one chinchilla named Gizmo! Whew! Anyway, I will be happy to start saving any and all seed from down this way for newbies like myself! I am on that list. I am so glad I found this wonderful website! ! ! It really is by gardeners-for gardeners. Bear with me on plant ID (I mis-labeled a succulent I sent with a spiny yucca tag-oops)! I did let them know:). I'm all for this and you count me in to share what seed I have from self, neighbors, family, etc. I collected sago seeds from the edge of parking lot the other day:). LOL! Thank you and Risingcreek for doing the hard part:)! Happy Gardening!
Bellsp
MS-FIGHTER (light weight garden champ :). If I am every off temporarily, I'm just warming back up for round two:).

Love these spots for pics!
Unreal sunset last week, me and Jay:), Pierre (red fur) and Francesca sporting Christmas wear, Dad, Daughter-in-lovely Tabitha, Son Andrew, Hubby Jay, Son Jayson, Daughter-in-lovely Hannah, Pretty Pink Violet

Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9387175

Send yours to rising reek Al unless she doesn't want them yet. I have a stash of my own stuff and another donated sending to me. So I say lets get rising creek set up to be able to fill envies before spring. I adore your seeds al and I am out but ill get some eventually!!!
Does that work for you rising reek?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9387184

Bells!! Great pictures!! We love photos on the new bee thread makes it feel like home!! AAls prone to short flights now and again and sends us from the air photos we will hope and plead if we have to to get him to post a few!! Bumble is an animal lover we see all kinds of critters from her and an occasional container plant she loves those and even one of her clay creations now and again!! We are an eclectic bunch . If you can't warm yourself up Bells just holler we can always find a good story to tell get you rolling over laughing then the old endorphins kick in and kapow off to the races!!!!
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9387185

yes it does thank you.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9387196

Certainly and ill send you some when mine start rolling in!!I just had a thought Rc short for rising creek lol how about we go buy zones you send to the warmer zones requests ill send to the colder so say zone 7 and above you send and zone 7 and below ill send I guess zone 7 will get a well round send but that's ok they are the biggest requests Zone 7 and we like zone pushing so how do you like that idea?
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
10:37 AM

Post #9387203

Arejay59,
Thanks for the welcome and the invite to this spot! I love bumble's horse picture! And Al's air shots sound cool! I already am smiling:). Gardeners are so fun! Should I send my extra seed to you or Risingcreek (when I get them together)? Also, is there an app for Dave's Garden that you know of, then I won't have to type it in so much.
Thanks,
Bellsp
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
10:44 AM

Post #9387209

Arejay59,
I think that last bit answered part of question. I type way to slow!
Bellsp

Thumbnail by Bellsp

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9387241

Howdy Bell, nice to meet you! =) RC, Bumble **waves vigorously at the camera**!! < =D RJ, are you having a nice day so far? =D

Bell, what great photos, thank you for sharing, you've got a BEAUTIFUL famiily!

Well, I'm all done letting the basement clean-up kick my dupa for now, so finally eating some lunch and calling it a day... until tomorrow. Oh, and I only saw a couple spiders, but that's ok, I like spidies! =) Nooooo mouses though!! Eeeeek! No thank you, I get enough of those things at work. **shudder**.

Heeheeheee, Bell, I had visuals of you tossing your manure into the air like faiery dust and singing "Wheeeeeeee!!!!!", LOL!

Al, I look forward to seeing your aerial photos from the plane(s); Do you have some trips planned in the near future?
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
11:50 AM

Post #9387283

Speediebean,
That's funny, now I see manure flying, too! No joke, I wish down here with all this sand I had a load of manure! I compost non-stop. Ivan washed what little dirt was in the flower beds out, so my neighbor said (we've just been here almost two years). Oh and I believe her! I joke that I make dirt in my sleep. Ha Thanks for the nice comment on family. I think they are my special blessing:). Watch out for those spiders, just because they are little doesn't mean they aren't dangerous. Glad your done with that job and nice to hear from you and others on this-love it!
Have a great day!
Bellsp
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2013
12:07 PM

Post #9387302

Bellsp- I put an icon on my desktop-- iPhone & iPad-- now I don't even have to sign in any more ( of course that means I never sign out).
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9387308

I've had this same strain of sunflowers for at least 10 years or so. They are very tall 10'-12' or so, and very bushy stems with smallish 6" flowers. I save a ton of seeds before the birds hammer them in the Fall.

Yes, Speedie we do get to travel on occasion. Our next trip will be first week in March to St. Augustine Florida. May stop in Savannah Georgia along the way if time permits.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9387309

I do too (see flying manure) i have 3 donkeys and a mule. i got plenty of it, it sure does create some fine Flower beds. My Brugs love it. Glad you all liked the pictures.
I made Al an ornament of Charley and he wears it on his hat. Charley is travelling all over the states with our AL...
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9387330

Yep - Our Charley pilots airplanes and drives a big fat Lincoln, too. He goes everywhere we go, and even navigates us back home when we're tired.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad         

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9387357

Arejay-anything you want to do is fine with me. and, anyone that wants to send seeds is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9387368

Lol good old Charley!! It's been busy here full of people with questions and answers!!
The new bees thread is always a place you can go to find a smile or some poo throwing!!
I think you will send to Rc ,bells but we will see how the donations go and who needs seed and things like that. We are fly by the seat of our pant getting out of the way of the throwing, we have been know to have a snowball fight now and again too watch out for the fly white stuff!!
I'm calling it a day I started at 2 so everyone have a good night and ill see you before the sun comes up!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9387372

Seems we do sidled Rc!! Ok we can work it I am sure we can it will be great to have two of us keeping track!!
Bells the icon on the desk top idea was a good one

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9387737

Hi Friends!

Yes glad to read this thread is up and running again. Like Speedie, I am back in school for the same stuff, except I'm in the process of finishing my degree (master's). I did not collect a lot of seed for the season, but the kinds of things that I grow in the yard are for the bees and butterflies - mostly all natives and considered weeds. Does anyone want some weed seed? :D

Lots of Solidago and Asters, Agastache, Rudbeckias, Gaura. I even forgot to pick seed from the 'Cherry Brandy' which were started from seed not last year but the year before and did not bloom the first season.

So. Looking forward to lively chatter and getting to know some new bees.

xox
A.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
3:50 AM

Post #9387872

Goooooooood Morning Bee-You-teeful peoples!!

Just a short blurb, got to get some chores done 'cause I think DH will be coming home early since... WE'VE GOT A WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT, Wheeeeeeee!!!!! I'm so excited, we are finally going to get SNOW!!! I'm south of Washington DC, and this is where it's expected to "hit" the most... it's coming up from the south, and this type of storm ALWAYS hits really good! YIPPEEE!!! It could be as much as 8" by 1:00AM.

Hmmmm... sorry, got carried away with my Happy Dance... where was I? Oh yeah, Amanda!! How cool, I've back-read many of your posts... does this mean that one day I'll get to be as smart as you?? < =D (please say "yes"). ;) Your weed seeds sound great, actually. I love all of the ones you mentioned, and it's funny, they are not considered 'weeds' in my area. I ADORE Agastache, I grow them for the bees (I think I forgot to mention them earlier). I've only grown Tutti Frutti so far, but they've gotten over 7' tall and the bees swarm all over them, such happy music! =)

Alrighty then, time enough for one more thread, then I must buzz off for a bit. =)
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
6:04 AM

Post #9387945

Good morning everyone:). Have fun in the snow Speediebean! Amandaesq, I would love some of your 'weed' seed, too! Do I have anything you might like on my trade list? I'll check your want list and see if I have anything you might like. I'm still adding so I might have something not on there:). Also, my neighbor (gardening pal Elsie) let's me snip in her yard! Thanks, like Speediebean said some folks don't consider those weeds and who cares anyway:). If it's green it's good LOL. Thanks,
Bellsp

Cold here too this morning! Get's you going!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9388030

I am happy to trade whatever I have. No Speedie, the Agastache is not considered a weed thanks to the industry. The ones I grow, however, reach up to 10'-12' tall. It's crazy. They were grown from seed I collected at the New England Wildflower Society's botanic garden when I worked there. It was supposed to have been 'Black Adder' but I've read that it doesn't set seed. A cross between A. rugosum and A. foeniculum, it must have reverted to the latter. I love it, but it's not for the cultivated garden. :D

I guess I really let it go this past season because the critters seemed to enjoy it so much that wild state - and have left the entire thing standing to act as protective cover from predators - we have a couple of species of hawks who like to think my bird feeders are out there as a buffet.

Speedie we are up to our eyeballs with rain. Not necessarily looking forward to snow - not like YOU. Yes you're crazy. Heh. January is always the time we get it in NC. IF we get it. So I'll put on my old Boston accent and pretend to be up north for a few days.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9388055

Its getting closer!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9388058

Wow 10 foot agastache!! Im not sure I can pass up wanting that!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
8:07 AM

Post #9388065

Ha ha - seriously! I was aghast the first season. They're growing up against the house in full sun. Do you think it has to do with my horribly long growing season?!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
8:17 AM

Post #9388078

I wish I had that trouble!!!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9388083

I hope today has slowed down for you arejay59? I'm freezing my tush off down here!
The icon is a good idea and Pfg is helping me, but so far I haven't found the arrow to push-probably staring me in the face:)

AmandaEsq, I sent you a dmail a minute or two ago to see if you are interested in trading. I'm really interested in the 10' agastache, too! Wow!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9388085

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293657/#new

I think you can just click on that highlight it and drag it to your desk top and drop it
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
8:26 AM

Post #9388088

any and all contributions to the newbie seeds are welcome-"weeds" or otherwise!!!
kc
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9388104

lol yes Rc weed ...whats that saying!! Weeds are flowers too once you get to know them!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
8:43 AM

Post #9388107

Belle. If that doesn't work.

Go to the top of your browser (i.e. Mozilla or Internet Explorer) where it shows the internet address or URL (i.e. http://davesgarden.com/).

Put your cursor over the text area where the address is showing (i.e. http://davesgarden.com/) and right click. The menu comes up and says "copy" - use your LEFT click button to copy the address.

THEN.

Minimize the web browser (ie. Mozilla or Internet Explorer). By minimize I mean in the extreme upper right corner of the window there are three little boxes, the "X" to close the page, the one in the middle/box to expand the page, and the one that looks like a hyphen/subtraction symbol. LEFT Click on the hyphen symbol to minimze.

Now.

on your Desktop (the place on your computer where all your files and program shortcuts show up) put your mouse cursor ANYWHERE on the screen and RIGHT click. A menu comes up and one option says "NEW". LEFT click on the "new" menu item.

On this menu, LEFT click the word "Shortcut" . A wizard will appear!! It will ask you to enter the internet address/URL of the website you'd like to have a shortcut for. Either type in, or RIGHT click and paste in the text box, http://davesgarden.com

Then follow the directions to the end. I. E. if it says "finish" LEFT click on that button, and a new shortcut to DG should appear on your desktop.

This sounds way more complicated than it is.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9388113

For the first time in over a week nothing was frozen when I got up. Did not have to chop ice on all the water dishes or the pond. Hopefully some of our citrus trees have survived, but not looking good. Fortunately has not affected the calif. natives growing on the property(that should teach me something)
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9388114

Our mystery weed from last year was an Evening Primrose. It was finally identified by several DG'ers and confirmed by a local landscape worker.

"Yep - It sure is an impressive looking one" LOL

I did NOT save the seeds for it..

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad         

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9388117

arejay59 wrote: Weeds are flowers too once you get to know them!!

Oh my gosh, I LOVE that!! I am going to find a way to get a plaque or something with that saying on it for one of my beds, I just HAVE to have it!! < =D I have been known to cultivate weeds on purpose, not caring that they were weeds, I just loved how they looked.. and how BIG they got! heeheeheheee

I will let Bell, and whomever else, have all the Agastache seeds, I am being a good girl this year **ahem** and sticking to my guns about focusing my efforts on SCHOOL. My garden beds will go wild, with minimal weeding/watering/feeding. Just the bare necessities. NO new additions! ... well, except for a light sprinkling of some Black Eyed Susan vine seeds to replace the Alyssum that I know will die out. ;) B..bb..bbut, the Coreopsis has GOT to have a companion!!! < =0

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
9:00 AM

Post #9388120

And your "little" volunteer is gorgeous Al! What a remarkable visitor!! Sure wish I had visitors like that... all I've had is Dianthus.

I forgot to mention earlier.. the snow scare has been pushed back to 2:00 starting-time, however, it has been sleeting. YUCK.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2013
9:14 AM

Post #9388133

Bell--when you're on the iPhone and signed in, at the top of the screen is the address bar, where it says Davesgarden.com/home etc, etc. Just to the left of that is a little symbol, a black arrow curving up
and to the right, click on that and there are several options. Add to Home Screen is what you want. It works for any website.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9388137

Yikes!!! So sorry!!!!! I was looking in the iPad. On the iPhone the little arrow is on the BOTTOM, in the middle, and it's white. My face is very red...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9388142

Yes Al that certainly is an evening primrose and she holds many good things for us too!! Evening Primrose was thought to treat in older times are asthma, eczema, multiple sclerosis, heart disease, circulatory problems and high cholesterol... among many many other things!! Mine grows wild right next to my St Johns wort!! There is a healthy cup of tea for you Al, evening primrose and st johns wort!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9388144

lol PFG...
jimmac619
Hartford, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2013
9:37 AM

Post #9388160

Hi there, everybody! Old friends and new friends!!

Actually, I'm one of those "new bees quickly becoming an addict." But many of the nicest people I've met in my new favorite garden are already here in this thread. And apparently already having a great time!

Linnea and I live on 8 acres in LA (Lower Alabama.) I'm a very-recently retired special education teacher and she works in an assisted-living facility nearby. We both love gardening, veggies and flowers, and are looking forward to having more time to devote to them.

One word of warning, though. We just completed a trade with Bellesp. Not advisable unless you want to receive a box slam full of seeds, cuttings, and babies. Far more than what was agreed upon. Thanks, Bellesp, and all you other generous people!

;-)

legallyheidi

legallyheidi
Griffin, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9388169

Hi, all! Has anyone started out like me, as first a veggie gardener and then a flower fiend?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9388174

I grow them all Hiedi!! I stopped planting anything I couldn't use(eat or drink or turn into something) last year!! I did start with Veggies when I was maybe 7 potatoes!!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9388189

Thank you everyone:). I found it! I found the icon button! Thank you! Thank you! blushing Francesca our Pom in pic looks worried, even!

Thumbnail by Bellsp

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9388200

Yay :)))))))
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
10:21 AM

Post #9388205

Thank you Jim! I love 'LA' people coming from Bama land myself. Your welcome, but you and Linnae sent me enough to share with neighbors, too:)! Anytime, lots of nice gardening friends here, I agree.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9388212

arejay59 wrote:I grow them all Hiedi!! I stopped planting anything I couldn't use(eat or drink or turn into something) last year!! I did start with Veggies when I was maybe 7 potatoes!!

RJ, you were 7 potatoes once upon a time?? < =P

Oh boy, more new friends to meet!! Hi hi!

I started with flowers, actually, and have only just started "growing" into herbs and veggies this past year... a couple tomato plants, a pepper plant, some Lemon Grass, parsley, and Cilantro. Can you believe it, my parsley is STILL growing on my deck, with fresh new leaves just ready for me to nibble them. I think they will have to go on my cod for dinner tonight. =)
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
10:40 AM

Post #9388221

Heidi, I'm like a house divided or which came first the egg or chick. I can't remember, but I love them both...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2013
10:49 AM

Post #9388233

For me it's still mostly flowers, but I do have a few raised beds for tomatoes, greens and a few other goodies
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9388237

I love to experiment with stuff from the grocery store, spice rack, bean aisle, fruit stand, etc. right now I'm trying to grow pomegranates and a yummy fruit called chayotes that is supposed to grow on a vine here. I may have split the seed in two when I cut into it (guess ill have to eat some more)! I didnt know, but there is just one pumkin size seed in the middle. But I read you can pretty much just lay the seed on the ground and it will grow. We will see. I grew a beginner avocado and to my surprise it is now 4' and living in a sheltered spot in the yard. We did have a mild winter, though and I covered it.
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
11:10 AM

Post #9388250

I have found I have to get tomato plants out super early here or late in fall and cross fingers for no frost to beat the heat! I am now experimenting with a wild Everglades cherry tomato and Floridade. We will see! I love tomatos, green beans and okra. My phone is about to die on me. It may be later till I get back here or in am if it gets busy, but I would love advice on varieties for north Florida on tomatos. Pfg, if you like green beans I have a great heirloom one that a friend gave me that is just delicious canned or snapped and seems bug and disease resistant. It's been in her family for generations. The seed is black, but not like others I've tried.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
11:22 AM

Post #9388263

I have had great success with stupice, floradade and several italian tomatoes here in the heat. the Italian varieties thrive in it.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9388291

Ooh, that sounds great! What can I offer you? And where in FL are you? DD (Dear Daughter) and SIL have a vacation house in Ft Myers.
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9388417

Thank you for the good advice on tomatos Risingcreek. I sent you a dmail and would love to do the newbie envelope and also send some things for other newbies, too. Thanks to you and arejay59 for volunteering for this:)
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9388420

Pfg,
I sent you a dmail and I would love to trade with you! I'm in Pensacola area.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9388470

Thanks! Lets up-date in the spring.

Pam
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
2:18 AM

Post #9388852

Pfg wrote:For me it's still mostly flowers, but I do have a few raised beds for tomatoes, greens and a few other goodies
but what herbs are lurking in those flowers!!!

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
2:19 AM

Post #9388853

Yes!! I was also 45 or so once too!!! LOLOL

speediebean wrote:

RJ, you were 7 potatoes once upon a time?? < =P

Oh boy, more new friends to meet!! Hi hi!

I started with flowers, actually, and have only just started "growing" into herbs and veggies this past year... a couple tomato plants, a pepper plant, some Lemon Grass, parsley, and Cilantro. Can you believe it, my parsley is STILL growing on my deck, with fresh new leaves just ready for me to nibble them. I think they will have to go on my cod for dinner tonight. =)

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
2:19 AM

Post #9388854

Busy busy!! I love west Coast Fla!! Ft Meyers is on the way to Sanibel I love Sanibel!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
2:21 AM

Post #9388855

legallyheidi wrote:Hi, all! Has anyone started out like me, as first a veggie gardener and then a flower fiend?
GA that means peaches and Kudzu and peach blossom honey!!

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
2:55 AM

Post #9388868

Here is the thread for the names entered in the Iris drawing!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294140/ no chatter just names in the hat...thank you
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2013
3:46 AM

Post #9388889

Chives, garlic chives, garlic, parsley, Dill, Thyme, Oregano, sorrel, sage, rosemary, basil... Mmmm,... Making me hungry!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
4:26 AM

Post #9388905

mm me too!! Yum!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2013
6:10 AM

Post #9388971

Pecans, too!!! We have all kinds of things in Ga. Buggy Days here where I live...in Barnesville. They used to make buggys here.
but I love the blooms of summer, along with the ripe taste of wonderful ripe tomatoes .

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
6:16 AM

Post #9388975

So pretty Bumble!!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9389035

Iris don't do so hot here, so I won't throw my name in, but you guys come up with so much fun:). Bumble your angel trumpet pictures are gorgeous. And your horsey friends make me smile:) Pictures - SNOW at son's house in Alabama yesterday and neighbor Elsie's pretty two-tone African violet.

Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp         

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9389047

Not the best photo I have ever takien but here is my two tone

Thumbnail by arejay59

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9389078

It looks very pretty.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9389300

It is pretty, RJ. I saw one (African Violet) that had blue blooms and the prettiest Varigated leaves. I almost got it. It was at Lowes.
Thank you all. I love my flowers.
Bellsp, My "horse" is actually a mule. You are half right, Charley's Mom was a horse... I have 1 mule and 3 donkeys. They are very loved...
In pictures below are:
Charley Annabelle AT Monticello AT and his Mom

In this picture is Annabelle, AT and his Mom, charley standing in background...

legallyheidi

legallyheidi
Griffin, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2013
4:00 PM

Post #9389553

ridesredmule: Hey, neighbor! I'm in Griffin...I've been tempted for YEARS to go to Buggy Days, and I've yet to go. I am for sure this year.
fordpickup
Clinton, IN

January 18, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9389593

Rj& Rc Envelopes on the way to both of you. Hope it helps with your seed project. Fred
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9389598

Thank you Fred!!!
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9389604

Thank you very much!!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9389626

Come on down girl. Would be nice to met you...
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2013
2:47 AM

Post #9389863

Good morning everyone, seems I'm up before the roosters crow this morning!
Ridesredmule, Thanks again for such fun pictures of your handsome Charley the 'red' mule, donkey Annabelle (my namesake) so sweet, donkey AT with his handsome coat and charming grin:) and donkey (mom extrodinaire) Monticello. I think I have them all straight now. I know they give you hours of enjoyment. My mom-in-sweetie had two donkies, Mrs. Rosie and Mr. Hosea (quite the pair). They shared the barn with two miniature horses (too cute for words). I wish I had a picture. Hosea was a mess - if he was not promptly fed at his scheduled times he would bray until the whole world knew it! Hee haw! My father-in-law would just go out there and sit with Hosea after he retired. They were best buds.
Today my plan is to sort through my seeds to send to Risingcreek and drink coffee till I float. Maybe even fill a few labeled cups with potting soil and get my tomatos and squash,etc. started. I'm always late and never ready to set out as early as I would like! I put out some broccoli, rutabaga, sweet peas, lettuce, red Pontiac potatos, radish and carrots (may have to cover if we have cold snap), moved some, lettuce, onions (top and bottom set-got from my great uncle J.B. and aunt Marggie), garlic and cabbage (worried about that, but it didn't seem to bother anything). I wanted to grow a few things before spring. I should have done most of this a month ago, but . . . It will be fun to see what happens. Being here in Pensacola I don't really have a rhythm in the garden, yet. One day it is 76, couple days later 45. I've been spending half my time amending the soil. But Dad, Jay and I are making progress one wheelbarrow of compost at a time:). I'll probably be out working on my weed patch opps -ahem . . . St. Augustine lawn today! Ya,ll have fun sorting seed and garden prepping-spring is on it's way! ! !
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9390032

Conversation seems to be picking up - glad to hear from all the new ones!

I'm getting a good germination test first, then packaging up my latest batch of sunflower seed from last year. I've also got some older tomato seeds if you've never tried them before. Costoluto and Romas are real easy for most to grow. How about Scarlet Runnner beans or Atlantic Giant pumpkins.

Al
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9390055

Any and all seeds are most welcome. thank you for the kind offer. they can be sent to either one of us..
kc

edited to say i am more the zone 8 and 9 person, arejay is doing the colder zones, if that helps decide where to send what.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2013 2:00 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9390276

Annabelle, the Monticello part is AT's last name. That is little town where we bought Annabelle and Isabelle, AT's Mom.
Here you go...Isabelle, Her sister Annabelle, Isabelle's son AT Monticello. They are waiting for a cookie.
Yep, weather has been a mess, shirtsleeve weather one week and coats the next day. got to dress in layers.. I miss the Flip flops wearing in the summer.

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2013
2:46 PM

Post #9390421

I love them! Isabelle, Annabelle, and AT Monticello, your 3 sweet donkeys and Charley red mule! I bet they see a lot of cookies! Jay's mom gives her herd of fainting goats and regulars Butterscotch! Where she stands to hand them out it looks like a candy bag exploded! I feel for you on the flip flops:). We started off the day in jeans, changed to shorts and flip flops, now back to long pants! I wish spring would just hurry on up! I did pack a lot of seed today, but never made it to getting seeds in potting soil (I better hurry or I'll have a slow start on tomatos)! I do this every year! Hope everybody had a great one.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9391006

I have a request for some yellow trumpet vine seeds, does anyone have a few they can trade?

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9391092

Good morning, new pals! I'm new to Dave's Garden, but I love it already. Some of,my favorite new guests in my garden are from trades I've made here. I love trying new veggies to see which will grow in our hot climate, roses, passionflowers, and anything that makes a big show! My garden is new to me after Hurricane Isaac took my old house, and I'm constantly learning new things about this bayou "soil" I've got. I grow a lot of stuff in containers to keep moving it around while we figure out our new home.

I also like scattering seeds around in the parks and empty lots here - last summer I grew a whole parking lot full of poppies around an abandoned house, and it made me smile every day. Since then, someone bought it to fix up...I hope they like poppies!

Arejay: I have a yellow trumpet flower vine next door, though I've never tried to collect seeds from it, I bet I could give it a go. It's just put on five or six flowers this week.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9391096

i have some yellow trumpet vine seeds dmail me pls
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9391100

Nola!! Welcome to the new bee thread!! That was brilliant planting in an empty lot for whoever may come along!! I live in the country so empty lots aren't really empty they are cow and horse and chicken fields and pastures. There is plenty growing in them but no need for planting it!! It is good to hear from someone in that part of the world I wonder often how the rebuilding is going. Visit often we love pictures!! I would love some of your trumpet flower seed what would you like? We can trade or I can send postage for them.
Did you get a new been package if not you should they are lots of fun to get!!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9391107

I have not gotten a new bean pancake, but I would love one! I'd be happy to try collecting seeds from this trumpet vine for you - it's yellow, and grows about a mile a day.

Ooh, new seeds are always good! I'm looking forward to it. Where do I sign up?
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9391298

I think we were talking about a "newbee package" of various seeds sent out to everybody who joins DG. They're fun, Nola, just follow instruction on above thread. I've probably got some sunflowers in there somewhere.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9391303

You all went from New bee to newbeans??? and now a pancake. Wow!!! Charley loves pancakes too!!!
Welcome Nola...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2013
10:59 AM

Post #9391306

lol did I write that??? I might have !! Oh I hope the "Kelly twins" didn't see it they will never let me live it down!!
Sign up here and put your name in for the Iris drawing here is that link http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294140/
and read the directions to get your newbeen pancake here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293657/#top

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2013
2:29 PM

Post #9391524

Well, I bumbled over and back still ain't found no dag gum pancake. Charley must of ate it!!!!!
Charley and Annie laughing at me...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule         

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9391709

I see I missed a lot. Hee Hee. Welcome Nola, I'm a newbee to the site, but love it here, too! I would be happy to trade with you. Check my tradelist. I also will put you a little care package together. I understand the whole gardening in the sand box scenario down by the coast. I'm in North Florida. Thanks for the adorable pictures of Charley and Annie - looks like they are cutting up! We had a great day at the beach here. Waves washed in a bunch of shells, pretty:) I am turning on TV, but so glad I checked in before bed! RJ, I think I have same trouble with words that you do, also it doesn't help me that the computer "corrects" my word, turning it into something completely different:)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2013
3:03 AM

Post #9392021

Good Morning Everyone, I see we have beans and pancakes on the breakfast menu!! I remember way back Mojitos and nachos were our menu!! We have gotten healthier!!
Did you find the directions to get your free seed Nola? We would love to have some of your trumpet vine seed( shh don't anyone tell her this is the first step to a seed saving addiction).
We are already getting donations and boy are they generous!! Postage and seed donations this weekend!!

Thank you gifters...:)
Fred and Dee and Bells!!
Hmm there is a song in those names I just know it!!
Freddee bells, Oh Freddee bells ... lol someone must have spike the beans...

The new bee envies have started to arrive in the mailbox too!! I had forgotten how much fun it is to open the packages some with wants and some with gifts.
This really is the best job in the world!! I'm not sure the postal worker in the neighborhood is pleased I restarted, but , maybe she will warm up this year and share some seed!!
I'm off ...enjoy your day everyone, I have envies to package and postage and mail!

58 days until spring!! Get your seeds out!! Trumpet vine seed here Nola I don't have these anymore but aren't they pretty!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2013
3:32 AM

Post #9392029

Mmmmmmmmm, spiked beans and pancakes for breakfast, Yaayy!!!! Haahahaaa!!! You guys crack me up, I tell ya!!

Soooo glad to be back, been a busy little... starts with a "Bee", heeheeheee < =D DH and I (after repairing a suddenly leaky toity, EEEK!!), finally...(or, should I say, "FINALLY!"?) got the (marble) tile laid in the "master" bathroom, WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

A little back-story: About a year and a half ago, we had the brilliant idea of ripping out the old carpet and getting hardwood flooring put in. GREAT! While we were at it, it was time to re-do the bathrooms. OK. Along with lining up his (DH's) buddies to put the flooring down, we found and bought ALL the stuff for BOTH bathrooms, from marble tile for the floors to toilet paper holder... EVERYTHING. Cool. Got the hardwood done, and while they were at it, they put down tile in the foyer and the hall bathroom. DH and I did the rest of the bathroom (easy peezy). That was Spring of 2011!!! Meanwhile, all the goodies for the master bath sit in the basement waiting their turn. Somewhere around THANKSGIVING this year (2012, really) we tear out the master bath... totally gutted except for tub/shower (not replacing that, it's too much $$).

That brings us to the present. Just last WEEK I finally got it all primed and painted, and now, this weekend, we FINALLY got that darned flooring laid!! PHEEWWWWWW!!!!!!!!! ... how does that saying go? "It's all done but the grouting"?? < =D Note to DIYer's: if you're gonna cut marble tile, for cryin' out loud, get a GOOD wet-saw!! That's all I have to say about that!

Now... before (plywood floor)... and AFTER! YIPPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean         

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2013
3:52 AM

Post #9392037

Speedie Bean!! Spiked but what the hay... Its good you didn't get into them prior to laying that beautiful floor!! Great work you two!! I used to own a flooring store and that saying!! It's all over but the grouting is exactly right and nothing else needs to be explain if you have ever grouted...

I love this one too!!

if you're gonna cut marble tile, for cryin' out loud, get a GOOD wet-saw

Great Job!! We have been busy here too you can see. Gifters and requester s are up and at em!! Seems those are not real words gifters and requesters...spell check says so...lolol...
"Al" I have one package of your sunflower seed , I can not promise I will part with them...blush,toe shuffle,blush...

Thumbnail by arejay59

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2013
4:20 AM

Post #9392046

Quoting: is exactly right and nothing else needs to be explain if you have ever grouted...
**giggle** and, what if I have never grouted before? < =D And the fun news is, I get to be the one to grout, which is only fair since DH did all the REAL work putting that floor down and all I did was "go fer." =)

How cool that you've owned a flooring store! So you know that cheapo wet saws make cutting marble tile a real chore to cut! Ugh! AND a real chore to clean up after too!! (that's my job). ;)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2013
4:46 AM

Post #9392061

lol well if you have never grouted!! Your hubbies joke is on you !! You aint seen nothin yet!! That's a Maine saying I guess the spell check wants to delete it. Is there a key for giggle??? (**/ **) that's gigle in Maine talk!!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9392437

I have to rustle around and find the right envelopes/postage to send along. Then I'll send some seeds I've got, too - it's my baseball card collection at this point!

Here's a couple photos of my garden: lots of containers of flowers to keep things sunny and happy while I work on the veggie garden beds. The soil is getting better after a lot of work, but I seem to be really good at growing weeds from clay!

My favorite thing blooming right now is the Improved Meyer Lemon - it smells divinely sticky sweet and seems to be a big hit with the bees. Today, I'm weeding and watering the veggie bed, just put down some grass seed, and put my rose cuttings into the front garden...thank goodness for a sunny, warm holiday!

Thumbnail by Nola_Nigella   Thumbnail by Nola_Nigella   Thumbnail by Nola_Nigella      

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2013
11:03 AM

Post #9392466

Oh look its a monarch butterfly in disguise!!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 21, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9392834

Arejay, you are here! Man have I missed you!!! I still talk to RRM once in awhile of FB, now where is Seray and Mekos? We will soon have the whole old gang back together!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9392881

Good for you Speedie Bean! Me and jay have done way to much tile wouldnt be caught w/o heavy duty wet saw for tile work. The floor looks great! I weeded front flower bed and side. I'm whipped, but it felt great to be out on such a gorgeous day. Nola, I love your pictures of your potted plants, specially the monarch in disguise! Did I mention I have a bat face flower? Red face little black ears (blossom, no kidding). I'll snag a picture this spring. I feel for you on the weeds in clay, had one house in bama land that had that super rich red clay. It grew anything, super, but first i had to blast the weeds out with dymamite (wiley coyote). Here no problem pulling the weeds out of the sand. They slip right out, but slip right back:). I'm whipped, hope you guys have a great evening:) (hi, endiecandles, I'm a new 'bean'. Hee hee, but know what you mean about all the great bunch here!)
Pictures are pretty pink vinca, I've just collected seed off these, white, pink, hot pink,etc, my old 'button' climber rose, iron lily (work horse for greenery for me, my 'weed?' That I love kalanchoe d. (Dad says umbrella plant), pink/multi colored lantana. Hoping for no cold snap. . .

Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9393592

Bells!! Those are so pretty!!! Nola did I mention I have to go to the grocery store to get Meyer lemons and then only this month are they ever there??? Did I mention I'm so jealous they are in your back yard?

Look who stopped by Bumble and Al it's Enid!! Do you all remember the great candles she makes? How are you Lori? Busy as ever? It's good to hear from you it's like going home when I get to this thread old familiar faces and new friends that have moved into the neighborhood !! It's great when your a traveler to finally get home and take your shoes of and settle in!!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9393610

Hi Enid! - Yeah, I remember that, she sent me a nice candle once. Good to see ya'all back.

Al

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9393680

If the flowers on this Meyer are any indication, I will have gobs of them. It's a 4-year-old tree that my local nursery (the fabulous and wacky Harold's Plants) sold me for $10 because the branches are all crookedy. My neighbor got 150 POUNDS from a tree only a bit bigger.

The bees on it now look drunk, but confused that I don't have anything else to their liking in the garden. I keep telling them it's only January.

New bees for newbies!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2013
10:37 AM

Post #9393710

Thanks RJ! Speaking of meyer's lemon's, I have a question for Nola. We've been here in north FL almost two years, so I bought a varigated lemon, kaffir lime, grapefruit and satsuma/Hamilton? Orange (not sure because all of mine were $10.00 pops it fell out of it's pot, limb got broke, end of season Charlie Brown trees , too). Lol! Back to ? I had loads of baby fruit and was so excited and then it all fell off! ! Horrors! We looked it up and thought maybe we watered too much, but then saw these weird orange bugs about the same time, not sure if they were friendly or what (someone said they were assassin bugs and good). Just wondered if you had any ideas? The trees have doubled in size and look great. (Even the lemon is putting out new foliage- it was the worst beaten of the bunch). What can I do to keep from having a repeat? Thanks, I would appreciate advice:). Also, Al your sunflowers are spectacular-I would love to have some seed-let me know if you see anything on my trade list or I can send you stamp if you dmail your address to me. Happy note on lemons, Jay found empty lot with lemon tree and picked me a bag and I made lemon marmalade, it was tangy, but scrumptious on biscuits (would have been good on sour dough bread, but I burned it!). There's still a few, neighbors just pick a few here and there, kinda fun, but someone will eventually buy the lot, so I hope mine quit dropping off! Thanks guys! Missing Speedie Bean, Charley and the girls. That last photo of them laughing over 'new beans' cracked me up!
Picture Jay hanging lights on the Pindo Palm, not exactly a white Christmas, but FUN!

Thumbnail by Bellsp

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9393852

Once my hubby hangs lights they stay there til tree falls down...
We are here. Just wander around sometimes.
Hi there Lori and Al, we are picking up folks and loving it... Love our Newbees and oldbees too!!!! ♥
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9393883

Ha ha hee hee. . . I know what you mean, maybe I'll share your hubbies secret with mine:). I wish I could remember and I would send Charley and the girls some cookies next Christmas, maybe I should go write that down:). Glad to here from you.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9393888

I would like to thank the very kind gentleman that donated to my postage fund, but he did not put his dg name on the envelope. so- thank you kind sir!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9394000

my citrus trees are better luck than good management! Mine are in containers, and I'm certain I'm doing it all wrong. Mine has two other vines growing up around it (mandevilla laxa and a moonflower) and it's by the dryer vent, the container is too small...it's all wrong but going ok so far!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9394028

Oh, No you so remind me of myself! Me tooooooo. . . I just fly into things and let it happen. Well, no more over watering and maybe this year I'll get some fruit!
Thanks, Belle:)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9394473

Im right there with ya Nola!! Everything I grow is luck...Management has nothing to do with it!! Lol... I guess that makes at least three of us luck chasers!!
Yeay!! RC!!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9394536

Yep, RJ sometimes best way to get something done is just jump in! If that doesn't work try try try again!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9394558

RJ,
I got my package from you and it was full of so many beautiful things! I can't wait to try them all. You sent so many I can't wait to try them all! The variegated morning glory is going on the front of my picket fence. I love morning glories, such happy flowers. I love the necklace pod seed. I always wanted to try those and the pretty pale pink hollyhock, etc., sooooo much fun! I'll be posting pictures of all my goodies as they bloom. You guys are all great. All the cuttings Jim sent are rooting and even new little leaves:). I hope everyone has a great day. Rising creek I stuck you a warm weather pack in the mail yesterday:). Happy Gardening!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2013

Post #9394559

Sometimes you wear your self out jumping.
If I move too fast my back lets me know it...so I have to have peaceful (hahahaha) things to do. Arejay don't call me Bumble for nothing...
some of my creations and one of God's...Camellia is now blooming here...

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9394578

Oh, bumble I think your creations are fantastic, your an artist! Lots of artist 'bumble' . My whole family is artistic (painters, makers,sewers of fantastic things)! The first picture is my favorite, cute as a button. Do you have your own kiln , I love the one holding the posie, too, I have a secret fancy for dragons, hmm, I guess I can't pick! I can't always get about as good as i would like, but then I go hog wild and end up on the couch watching tube or 'bumbling' around with some sewing till the aches go away. Maybe we should 'jump' with caution? Heehee
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9394583

lol jump with caution!! I think that is the cutest possum that is a possum right? He is some cunnin!! Makes you want to kiss him on the forehead kind of possum!!
I love the rest too Bumble you know I do but that possum he is a catch!!
fordpickup
Clinton, IN

January 23, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9394809

RC & RJ
Not looking for anything just trying to help you help the new people or whoever have a better gardening experence. If you get where you need more let me know.

Fred
fordpickup
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9394822

I think it's the tiny belly button that make him so doggone cute! I was thinking maybe teeny koala baby?
My oldest son and daughter-in-lovely are adopting and bought this cute little sleeper, also the elephant and tree my son is going to draw for mural in baby's room:). Sweet couple, All babies are special, but I pray they get one that has an extra twinkle! We could know any time, so exciting! Maybe, I'll start a garden with just 'baby' related plants while we wait? Hey, that sounds fun 'Tiny Tim tomatoes' , 'baby's breath' and I now have 'angel wing' columbine! Lol

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
10:23 AM

Post #9394833

Loved Nola's idea about scattering seeds around abandoned lots, Etc. I think it makes them not such an eyesore for neighborhood. My neighbor and I regularly clean the yard next to hers (hard times fell on absentee owners, long story). Maybe, this spring we sprinkle a few toughies, marigolds, zinnias , hmmm nicer for us and rest of neighborhood to look at:). Super idea Nola!
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9394993

Fred-fordpickup-once again, many thanks to you.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9395025

No pick-up here(tho I wish I had one), just big red mule...
The possum ain't a possum, it is supposed to be a hedge hog!!! But for you RJ it's anything you want...
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 23, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9395030

Arejay, it is like being home again. And it looks like there are a lot of new friends here too! That is awesome.

DH bought me a greenhouse (a cheap one) as a surprise gift the other day so I will be doing a lot of testing, killing and whining here I am sure! I am going to try some veggie seeds in there here pretty soon and see what happens. (well, I am probably going to start them in the house and then transfer them out there)
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 23, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9395031

RRM, you don't have a pickup???? How do you survive with all the critters and no truck? I hate cars, I think the everyone should drive a pickup! Cars are too close to the ground and being a big girl, they are just to dang hard to get out of !!
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9395032

ridesredmule-would you be the person that gave this to my cousin? (sherman99) I know it came from someone here at dg

This message was edited Jan 23, 2013 2:30 PM

Thumbnail by risingcreek

enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 23, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9395037

I don't know where she ran off to so fast but I promise you she is the guilty party! She makes awesome clay "thingys"!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9395169

I typed hedge hog, then got Koala Bear on my brain! He is an adorable hedge hog!
Ya'll have a great evening. Long day, here. See you in the morning, my brain cells slow to a sad chug a lug this time of the day. LOL I'm still pulling pictures of all the fabulous seeds you guys have sent me! I'll be posting pictures of them as soon as spring lets me! Thanks a million.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 24, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9395726

good morning all! I have been up since about 4 a.m., where is everybody??
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9395739

good morning-raining here-need coffee!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9395747

Good Morning!! I got so busy this mornig I forgot to post!! That sure looks like Bumbles mule up there!! Charlie is that you? Im sure it is!! Hi Lori how are things in your neck of the woods!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9395796

RC, Yep that is one of my Charleys. One of the first one...
I have made Oodles of critters and flowers too!!!!! Love the Spirit horses...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9395811

You go girl!! Love the bead work!! I love to make beads!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9395930

Great pictures RJ and Bumble! I'm helping Jay today:). Hope I can get some seeds potted later. Beautiful day here:). Have a great one!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9395996

Isn't it fun? I just made a frog today, got to take it out of oven and glaze it... we may have to trade clay creations, just because!!!!!
I've made some beads but love critters better...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule         

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9396025

since it is raining here today i think i will try to get a lot seeds entered into my have list. have them all in plastic shoes boxes in envelopes but have not been entering them here. probably an all day task.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9396062

I would be happy to trade with you bumble !! Wow Rc you are an ambitious one!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
10:01 AM

Post #9396076

Did I say I have plenty?

Thumbnail by arejay59

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9396080

Plenty

Thumbnail by arejay59

enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 24, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9396083

Things are good here Arejay! We are in serious need of rain but we are surviving for now. If the wheat doesn't grow there will be no harvest this year. No harvest, no money!!

Hope all is well for you.

Everyone have a great day...I think I am off to take a nap. Got up way too early, go a lot done! Laundry done, dishes washed, bread baked...now I am tired. LOL
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9396107

Enid,
Here's hoping the rain falls soft on your fields:). Rising creek your envie from me should be arriving today or tomorrow. Good luck with the organizing! I'm working on my plant files some.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9396137

they are all organized in the boxes, alphabetical, boxed by flower, herb, veggie, trees, etc. just have not thought to add to have lists. might take a lot longer then i thought it would. i have found that it is easier to google whatever the seed is with the words daves garden after it then it is to look it up in the plant files. google shows the dg entry right on top, on dg i have to sift through lots of entries to find the exact one. weird.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9396220

I too hope for your rain to fall Enid!!
I'm a google girl too RC

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9396256

I'm glad to work for myself on days like today - it was sunny and nice for a while, and I got more dirt piled up on my veggies and roses, spotted another monarch caterpillar munching away, and got the puppy walked. Happy Thursday, everyone!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
12:54 PM

Post #9396275

What do you do Nola? Or should I not ask that question? Just ignore it if its a not good question. blushing and kicking the floor...
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 24, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9396311

Really Arejay?? When did you become so bashful?? LOL
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9396325

lol shh.. Lori...shucks
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 24, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9396327

Oh, gee Arejay I am sorry!! Now I am blushing. LOL
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
1:39 PM

Post #9396328

Bellsp-your envie arrived today-thank you very much-the first seed contribution to the newbies !
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9396347

lol yeah sure you are lollll

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
3:29 PM

Post #9396454

I don't mind any questions at all! I actually run online communities (kinda like this one) and do copywriting, social media, that sorta thing. It's so nice to be able to be home and take a break to garden, walk the dog, smell the roses as it were.

Having one's own business is a lot of work, but it's certainly got its perks! Maybe I can make DG a "research" project of sorts. :)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9396461

So interesting!!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9396467

It's a fun job! And more time with my stepkids, my nieces and nephews, the puppy, and my plants. I like fussing over things. :)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9396480

I am a firm believer in loving what your doing!! It sounds as if you do!!!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9396491

Do what you love, and you have to...well, you have to work every day of your life, but I don't mind. Naps and kiddos and puppies make up for weird hours! :)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
9:41 PM

Post #9396851

Yes they sure do!!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
10:30 PM

Post #9396859

who couldn't love this face?

Thumbnail by Nola_Nigella

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
11:13 PM

Post #9396871

Guess we have something in common!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
5:44 AM

Post #9396995

Oh the labs are FAB! You guys are so lucky. Nothing like critter love:)! I'm drinking coffee and starting seeds this morning! I'll keep you posted. Fun, fun. Bumble must be out feeding charley and girls cookies:). Nola the job sounds very interesting. I've been thinking of pet sitting, myself. I worry when I'm away and I thought maybe others feel the same way anyway, I'm mulling it over. You guys have a great one, my guys, dear old dad and hubby looking for breakfast.
Happy Gardening!
Picture- can anyone tell me what this is? It came with foliage plants from florist. I'm sure I should know-lol?

Thumbnail by Bellsp

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9397054

some kind of Caladium Fancy Leaf Caladium maybe
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 25, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9397075

Good morning all! I am off to bake cookies and make candles for a FURever friends fund raiser tomorrow. Very, very busy day for me but such a worthy cause!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9397078

Bellsp, pet sitting must be a cash cow - people worry all the time about their pups. Mine is a "bassador" - a lab/Basset and she howwwwwls when alone. If you look up pet sitters on Yelp.com in your area, you could get a sense of the "competition", but there's always people looking for someone nice to watch their critters.

This morning I'm planting in a new-to-me pea, Golden. Rarely do peas make it out of the garden without us eating them first. ;)

Happy Friday everyone!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013

Post #9397086

what a great idea Nola Check it out on yelp!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9397089

only four on yelp i your area Bells!! http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=pet sitters&find_loc=04350&ns=1#find_loc=Warrington, FL
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9397105

I will I have been checking out the competition. . . Some others in our area, yellow pages, Craigslist, Pet Sitters International. I'm just kinda thinking it over for now. I have a lot of irons in the fire at the moment. I'll check yelp out, thanks. I have a hard time with peas and have just planted two rows of green arrow bush english peas here maybe two weeks back. We will see what happens. I had the best luck with 'telephone' peas heirloom that I ordered from bakers creek heirloom seed, back in Alabama (good right fresh while in garden-hee hee-beat the birds) I had no luck before that, but I think I always plant too late or too soon when it is still to warm. I found the 'telephone' variety in an old book from 1908 that had a black and white picture of them- they were the tallest pea vines I had ever seen. If I find it when I get home I'll snap a picture and post it. Good luck with the Goldens.
Oh and the closest I can find to the pale pink leaf plant in my picture is arrowhead vine nephthytis, which I have. I know I've seen it before, I'll let you guys know if I track it down:)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
7:37 AM

Post #9397110

bells http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/184/#b
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9397117

You might check into volunteer time at a local SPCA shelter. They are always looking for extra dog walkers. It's great exercise, too. Just be careful or you'll end up taking one home, sometimes hard to resist.

I've been a dog lover for years. Lately we've taken up a lot of traveling in retirement and owning a pet just isn't too practical. I do miss them though, and being a dog walker is fun in nice weather when I can.

Al

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9397130

I have donated countless pet pillows, quilts and even did a fund raiser raffle quilt in honor of 9/11 firemen for the animal shelter we were near at the time and yes I ended up with 'Bunny'! I do have a full house of my own critters, see list back in this thread! Whew, but I will have to do that, I just have hands full at moment. Dear old dad couple trips for heart stints, etc.,etc. everyone good, though. Shelters need all the help they can get. I give to the cat shelter here, there are thousands! :). Cats that is.:)thanks for doing your thing Al!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 25, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9397211

I am SOOOO Naughty! I am supposed to be baking and making candles but it is nice here so I am cleaning of the back porch instead. Putting all of my pots and such in the greenhouse in hopes it will hold the silly thing down when the wind blows.

I am gonna be up all night getting ready for the pet adoptions bake/craft sale tomorrow but oh well, it's not like this is the first time I have been distracted by nice weather! LOL

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2013
10:44 AM

Post #9397238

Lori, you Good , but you are bad!!!!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9397297

it's soooo nice out here, too. I took my laptop outside to work, and in-between work things, have been planting stuff! Can't knock good weather when it's here. :)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9397351

Enjoy!!!!
flwrsnflyrs1
Sulphur, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9397821

Hi Robin,

Bellsp directed me to this forum. I will send my envy tomorrow. I am so excited to have found Daves Garden. It's nice to have 1 place to go for Q&A, plant id, plant/seed exchange and so much more I have not yet explored. I can't wait for this year's gardening.

Kim
flwrsnflyrs1
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
3:07 AM

Post #9397874

Kim,
I'm glad to see you found this! I love this bunch of gardeners and I know you will too!
Hope everyone has a great day:). Check out the cute pictures of Charley, the 'girls' and all the fun pets/flowers, etc. in the top!
Belle

Thumbnail by Bellsp

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2013
3:19 AM

Post #9397879

Good Morning ( flwrsnflyrs1) you must be Kim. Welcome . Ill be watching for your envie!! Morning Bells
still a winter wonderland here

Thumbnail by arejay59

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9397915

RJ,
Good morning to you:). The picture is gorgeous. Looks like a Robert Kincaid painting. We are having another sunny day, no snow, but lots of white sand! I need to finish my coffee and get busy. I may just have another sip, though and look at your pretty picture. You have to enlarge it to see just how pretty. Snow has a special beauty all it's own, doesn't it?
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
5:26 AM

Post #9397924

Ha! I just spotted a citrus tree seed sprouted in the picture of my African violet. I've got them coming up everywhere after I read that lemons will grow from seed in 3-4 years to fruit. I have a neighbor who waited 10 years on a grapefruit, though and then it was loaded!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2013
6:18 AM

Post #9397975

You sure do have a little lemon tree coming up. I had a pecan tree in one of my begonias, thanks to Squirrels. Pulled it out and tossed it.
TBo and a Blue Jay tail feather.
Morning glory ornaments I made
Last but not less, is my darlin' Charley...

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9398079

Oh Tbo is a cutie, but Charley and the 'girls' still too CUTE! I love your begonia. The morning glory ornament is fantastic! My grandma made a morning glory quilt and I helped appliqué one at my old quilt guild in bama land:). Fun times!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9398408

Thank you, Bell, now I got to get the blue one mailed to Debra...
So glad you love my Fur kids...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9398452

I have no fun pics to share, it's so sad. =( I don't do anything fun or creative (except for in the kitchen... wanna see a pic of a pretty dinner presentation I did once? HA!!) Everything outside is half-covered in melty snow right now... but I am happy we had snow, whee!!!!

This morning, that bathroom floor got grouted, YIPPEE!!! DH was my "Little Helper", and **I** did the grouting. THAT WAS FUN!!!!!! < =D

I think I'll put a couple pics of the floor in here. < =D

Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean      

enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 26, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9398507

That is a nice floor Speedie! I am glad it is not me having to go through the construction though.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9398517

That is good. We love seeing your tile floor... did great...
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9398551

Bumble,
Yes, I do love them all:), furry creatures big and small. . . Thanks for sharing the pictures! Speediebean you are smart to do the floor while the snow is on the ground! Later on in spring you will be glad! Today collected some umbrella type palm?, seed and bought a few on sale paper white narcissus at Lowes , so pretty, I couldn't resist:).
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9398554

Jay brought me this branch of firecracker home from job today. I had never seen one until down here. I hope I can get it to go!
Daughter in lovely made beautiful birthday cake in picture, other is of the firecracker plant.

fordpickup
Clinton, IN

January 26, 2013
5:55 PM

Post #9398557

RC, Thank you for the card. Very approprated for the weather we are having. Fred
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
3:04 AM

Post #9399761

Good Morning everyone...very pretty floor there speedie!! The firecracker plant is neat. I have never seen one!!

I hear the new bee seed box is very close by!! Seems it will be here on Wed the 30th!!!! Yeay!!

I can"t wait to see what is in there!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
3:08 AM

Post #9399763

Thank you all! I think we done pretty darned good with that there floor. =)

I do LOVE that firecracker plant! We sell those at work, but in our zone they're not perennials. :( I guess maybe, MAYBE, if the micro-climate is juusssttt right, and if one is given enough pampering and protection, and if we don't have too-too bad of a winter, one MIGHT be able to over-winter one around here, but the odds are stacked against it. Sad, really, they are such beautiful plants!

RJ, at first, from a distance, your little pink baby there looked like a Lantana... is that a Hydrangea? Sooo pretty!!! Such a rich pink, I love it!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
4:12 AM

Post #9399790

It is a hydrangea speediebean and did you know you can grow hydrangeas with a cutting!! I have a purple blue one too. Maybe this year they will be big enough to take cuttings and root!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
5:09 AM

Post #9399812

From cuttings, really!?! Hmmm... I wonder if anyone would notice a nip here and there from some of my favourites at work!? ;) What is the best time of year to take cuttings? What's a good medium for starting the cuttings in? I start back to work somewhere between the end of Feb - start of March. We've got some beauties that I would love to have, but they're a bit pricey for me... however, I think you have just helped me around that little bump in the road! < =D (((((HUGGG)))))))

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9399838

I have a lace cap hydrangea.
I have too many pictures, so I'll give you Jake...

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9399877

Yes I am sure they would not mind you taking cuttings!! You ony need six inch pieces

Here this is a great tutorial!! I am sure any time the cutting will root. Those sound like perfect month to begin a new project not to hot nor too cold. I do rose cuttings with a mason jar it would work for hydrangea too I am sure!! So much easier !! Ill see if I can find the rose cuttings tut I put together a year or so ago. Maybe it will help!!
here is a little peek that I can find Ill be back later with the whole thing maybe !!

Two years old

Thumbnail by arejay59   Thumbnail by arejay59         

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
6:20 AM

Post #9399880

Note**** I forget things...now and then. So, if I forget to do this for you. And you would like to see it. Remind me!!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 28, 2013

Post #9399974

I love Jake! The greenhouse is pretty much doomed, think I will leave it in the garage and leave garage door open for sun, add a grow light and call it good. Redneck greenhouse!! Just too much wind in Oklahoma for a freestanding cheapo depot greenhouse!

I am cleaning house today and off to the candle shop this afternoon. Someone (ummm Bumble) told folks on another site that I would trade candles and soap for plants...where in the world did she get this idea?? LOL

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9400020

enidcandles wrote:The greenhouse is pretty much doomed, think I will leave it in the garage and leave garage door open for sun, add a grow light and call it good. Redneck greenhouse!!

Omgosh, this made me laugh! I have been standing in my hot sun thinking of what to do that my landlord won't mind overmuch. I'll tell him that's what my contraptions are!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9400070

lol I could use a new candle I better get over there!!

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9400073

lol Redneck greenhouse!! We have a humorist up here that talks of those things!! You know you're a redneck if kind of thing... I can hear him saying that. You know you're a redneck if your greenhouse is a bright white lightbulb when the garage door is closed and the sun when your garage door is open!!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
9:52 AM

Post #9400176

Aaaaaaaawwwww, I LOVE the pic of Jake!!! He looks like he is wondering why you are taking his picture! < =D

Enid, LOL LOL!!!!!! You crack me up!! < =D < =D

Errr ummmm... RJ, don't forget... errrr... something... =) heeheeheee

OK, enough goofing off here, I've got one more load of laundry to throw in, one more floor to scrub, and one cheesecake to make. =)

Ooooh, but I did have a fun visit out this morning.. to the orthodontist! Got my adjustment on my braces and FINALLY got that icky coil taken off, YIPPEEE!! That means progress, and I am loving it!!!! < =D (it also means a VERY tight adjustment was made, loads of pressure, YOIPS!!) Haahahahaaa!!!!! Rollin' rollin' rollin', rawhide!!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
11:19 AM

Post #9400266

Ha ha ha speedie - one good (?!) thing about working in the industry - my job anyway - was that snipping here and there to maintain plants was part of my job description. I was always a little afeared when I'd go into retail places to do it cause we had been warned that removing stuff could be grounds for termination. Ack.

Never really did enough pinching or snipping to get in trouble. House plants were very easy to start so i have a nice collection. I think the best example of snippping in my garden was a nippon daisy. Hope it gets giant like everyone claims it will. Also have started a fair number of purple daisy looking chrysanthemums. Easy.

Don't miss it much though. The maintenance part was the best part. But we slowly had more and more paperwork obligations and inventory and such that made the job stop being fun.

More questions - you are a grown up with orthodonist. Might need to talk to you as I am considering this in my near future.

Bring on the seeds! Ha Ha. I am waiting for Susie's Robin.

Have a great day everyone.
A.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9400281

Susie? Waiting for Susie's?

Look what I just found!!

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013

Post #9400282

Yahoo!! Let the new bee games begin!!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
11:34 AM

Post #9400291

WooHooo! :)

I think before we (?) got bogged down with the details and how to label everything. I don't much care what the label looks like Arejay. So long as I can tell WHAT's in it. And the year is usually a good idea. ;)

xox
A.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2013
11:41 AM

Post #9400296

Poor Lori, told me she wanted some plants but didn't have the money. I merely mentioned she made candles and could trade for plants. You should have seen all the Ears perk up. Thought I was in the pasture with the Long ears!!!
Charley still laughing at me too!!!!
See, told you all the ears were up!!!!! and they are talking about it!!!

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9400308

lol My strong point was never labels or organization!! Feel free to ask anyone will tell you that has been on this thread!! Most of the new bees learned what seeds were and did because the had know choice I was lax on the labeling!! Still am bbut Corey did a super job labeling them all. Ill have to look for other ways to make the newbees work!! Yeay!!!!
Come on in seed lovers and savers and addicts around the world!! We have seeds!!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
12:24 PM

Post #9400331

Oh dear, I'm in dangerous territory... the name's Susan, nickname "Susie".. YIPES!! (I prefer the nickname "Suze", does that make me safe!?!?) < =D

Amanda, I got my braces put on this past August, right after my 48th birthday. < =D Please ask away (D-mail if you prefer) ANYthing your warm fuzzy heart desires. I will tell you now though, I am soooooooooooooooo glad I did it and wish I'd done it sooner!!! I adore my orthodontist (he calls me "Dude") and his entire staff. I finally, even WITH my braces, feel fully confident to SMILE BIG!! < =D (bigger than that, even!)

I started a thread in the "beauty tips" or something or other forum, if ya wanna check it out. I finally just got the nerve to put pics in there today. heh heh. I'll put new pics in once DH gets home and takes some new ones of me now SANS COIL. =)
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9400350

Hey guys, I've been cutting neighbor Elsie's hair (rose lady/violet lady), putting seeds in cups an envelopes! I am rooting 2 hydrangeas, too:) Thanks. Jim. They are doing great! A wonderful pack came in the mail from Risingcreek today! Thank you:) RC would you want pindo palm, cabbage palm, umbrella plant seeds for the south zone new bee box? I luv the firecracker, too. Hubby did good securing that for me. Bumble- really a chicken? We must have been seperated at birth! I love chickens. Is Jake a naked neck? I had Rhode Island reds, top hats, domineckers, Easter eggs and one beautiful red and green boy! I sure had fun with them! Also, amandaesq I have you envelope on the table. I will get it to you if you dmail me where to send it. Thanks. I'm stuffing one for flwrsnflyers1 right now! Have a great day. I think I hear my song "redneck shuffle". Hee hee!
Picture is umbrella palm!

Thumbnail by Bellsp

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9400380

those seeds would be great additions to the newbee stash, thank you

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9400653

Yep, chickens!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
2:20 AM

Post #9400925

Am I allowed to say "Yummm" when I see brown eggs? < =D
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2013
2:57 AM

Post #9400936

yes you certainly can say that!!

Notice****** Notice*********Notice******

If you requested seeds and do not get that plump and pretty little envelope in the mail this week. Please, please, did I say Please let me know here or dmail either will work!!
Thank You...Keeper of the seeds...Arejay aka Robin

End Notice ***** End Notice ********* End Notice********************

Thumbnail by arejay59

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9401167

Bumble- your chickens are living in style what with that private fountain/chicken spa? Lol! I miss my chickens, but couldn't keep up with all their barnyard fiascos! I'll just enjoy yours:). Thanks RJ for answering all my questions:) From the look of that stack of envelopes I appreciate you taking time for me. Speediebean I second the YUM - nothing like fresh eggs right out of the best. They make store bought look sad! The yellows are round and never break and run everywhere if you don't want then to! Nothing but love for 'homemade' eggs:) Sure, thing on the palm seeds RC, they are along my walk path. The neighbors are used to me carrying around a little bag and shaking bushes, trees, etc. to see what falls out! Lol! ! ! I put most of my seeds you all have been sending in about a zillion little cups yesterday, fun, fun, fun! Y'all have a great day!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9401184

You see this little fella? He is my Egg-sucking hound and he loves fresh eggs. This is Dufess.
He is a sweet heart but so goofy. He will get an egg and carry it around in his mouth til he is ready to eat it. some would say he has a "soft mouth" I just get aggravated at him stealing my eggs. When I find them ahead of him, I feel so blessed. gives me exercise, I guess...

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9401274

Oh how funny! 'Dufess' may get bumped up to the top of the list with Charley and the Girls! mischieveous looking rascal! Your "Dufess" reminds me of an old dog I found at dump, had to lift her in the tailgate because she was to weak to jump in-skin/bones/no fur, except about 4 gold hairs. Took her to vet treated/fed/spayed, best dog I ever had, named her Amber for the 4 gold hairs and sure enough in came beautiful thick gold coat w/TLC, perfect all EXCEPT she ate ALL my tomatoes the minute they were ripe! Ha ha ha -joke on me! I just kept wondering where they were going? Then one day there she was straining to get one off the top and she did! Picked it off clean and enjoyed every bite! She was a goof, too, had deformed bottom jaw that made her look like she was always smiling:). Seriously, though she was the best dog I ever had, but aren't they all?:).
Picture sweety 'Tweety' trying to fit in a box I put out for the cats to play in and another of the beach down here upside down? Don't know how to fix that on here. It was right side in my pictures.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2013

Post #9401450

I had to blow it up! I thought it was a cat, Nope. what a cute face.
Got lucky Dufess found an egg in the flowerbeds where he buries them...
Spring time in Ga. Yep, that's Dufess, Eating his egg...Then my Beautiful Missy Mae...

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9401565

They just get better and better! Missy Mae is a lovely! Your spring flowers are so pretty! I bet Dufess can't wait for Easter at your house:)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2013
3:04 AM

Post #9402217

Did you see todays article?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2219/
"so you've decided to take the plunge and try growing some of your bedding plants on your own from seed. Or perhaps you're already among the initiated, but have had some disappointing failures. I've found that instructions from seed sellers can vary considerably regarding the appropriate germination and growing conditions of a particular plant."Larry Rettig (LarryR)
http://davesgarden.com/members/LarryR/

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
3:57 AM

Post #9402235

I had to laugh at the "more difficult" and "not worth the effort" lists... TRY WINTER SOWING!!!!!!!!! < =D

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/coldsow/all/

I have had soooooo many successes with many of those "more difficult" and "don't bother" plants on those lists it's not even funny.. hahahaa. ;P
Not to mention, Winter Sowing let's ya play in the dirt when it's cold and snowy outside! < =D
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2013
4:31 AM

Post #9402250

I have started and grown many " More difficult p;ants my self speedie!! Heck that theme follows through in many things actually. My kids were not on the less difficult list!!
Winter is half of our year in Maine!! It is good that we can all have a different way and share it all!! One mans trash is another mans treasure right!! ???

Thumbnail by arejay59

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
4:57 AM

Post #9402264

Heeheeheee, ain't that the truth with kids! HAAA!!! If I'd listened to all the "Just wait until..." lousy 'advise' my ex-mother in law gave me I'd NEVER have had my wonderful son! < =D

Ooooooh pretty red.. errmmm... plant-thing! What is it!?!?! LOL!!! (I deserve a bonk on the head for that one!)

Oh Amanda, you've got D-maillll!! < =)

Oh dear, I hear a load of laundry calling me. < =/
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9402273

Amaranth
butterfly4mama
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9402482

Hi everybody!

I am a newbie. I recently moved from the edible landscape we created in Texas to Southern California. As odd as it may seem to others, I am mourning the loss of my garden since CA won't let you bring anything with you.

Last night, my husband asked me why I didn't plant the beautiful onion growing in the kitchen and why I haven't started any seeds. I broke down and bawled. That is when I decided to get started again.

I want to be a part of the seed exchange. I have some seeds to share :-)

I will be revitalizing my need to garden by siding through the forums.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9402500

Good Girl. Get over the blahs and fight back by planting you a NEW garden...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2013
9:34 AM

Post #9402524

Sounds like there is a California girl needing a newbie packet!!! Welcome butterfly mama!!!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9402528

Welcome welcome welcome! Missing home is cry-worthy, for sure. But that sunny SoCal weather - you can grow so many wonderful succulents and dry garden things that I never can. Take a look through Annie's Annuals - I learned so much about how to garden in California from them when I lived there.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9402529

butterfly4mama-let me know what kind of seeds you are interested in. i am fairly close to you and have lots that do well in our heat
kc
demonshollow
Winnemucca, NV
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9402745

Good afternoon to all.
Just wanted to stop in and give a great big thank you to every one. I just picked up a big fat envy full of seeds from the post office last night that has had me just giddy! I am on limited computer time right now and do not post to the site as offten as I would like to. I love seeing all the posts and reading the stories. They keep me going and pushing forward towards my goals here.

Things are a bit of a mess right now thanks to the bitter fridgid weater we have had so will be very busy trying to place catch up and clean up. Can't complain though, many places were and still are much colder then here.

Any how, thank you all again.

Liz

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
1:39 PM

Post #9402806

Welcome Welcome Butterfly4mama and Hiya Demonshollow!!! < =D

WOW, I moved from sunny SoCal aeons ago!! (as Cheech & Chong's song goes, I was, Born in East L.A., mang, I was Borrrnnn in East L.A...") < =D

Anyway, glad to see y'all here, and I look forward to chatting with y'all more. =)
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9402845

Speediebean your so right I grew two small fry myself that turned out to be my two best efforts in spite of the wait until later advice from well meaning folk! Hey Bumble and RJ- me doing happy dance-just received load of plants from flwrsnflryrs1! Such a sweetie! Most all my recent seeds are in little cups- hope staring at them won't stunt their growth:). Thanks for all the hot weather tomatoes RC!
Also Nola's right butterfly4mama you just dry your eyes! A whole new planting world awaits. I was sad about losing my rich soil in Alabama, but once I got over it I found all kinds of new and wonderful things grow here. About same time found all these wonderful fellow gardeners to share with. Drop me a dmail, I probably have things that will grow in your yard. Lord knows only the tough survivors hang out in my yard lol!
A big 'Hey Y'all' to 'Demonshollow' - !
Goober_Fairy
Smiths, AL

January 31, 2013
4:19 AM

Post #9403454

Hi, I am Goober and I want to start a garden at my house. I would like any vegetable seeds, herbs, and red or blue flower seeds. My Nana is going to mail my stamps for me this week. I am in the address Exchange already. I am 12 years old and this will be my very first all by my self garden.
Thank you.

Goober fairy
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
4:58 AM

Post #9403475

Welcome 'Goober':). I will send you some fun things for your first garden and I'm sure you will find lots of others to help! I'm from Alabama (we moved ti north Florida a couple of years ago) so I know what really grows for you! Give me a little bit, I will dmail you when I have it ready. Risingcreek is in charge of seeds for 'newbees' and I'm sure she will be talking with you soon. Have fun, I started with my first yellow rose when I was your age. Best wishes to you!
Good morning everyone:)

Picture of some of my seed cups you all shared!

Thumbnail by Bellsp

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
5:04 AM

Post #9403481

Howdy Goober Fairy, so nice to have you join us!! < =D And how cool to have your very own garden for the first time this year, YAAHOOOOOO!!!!!! So, what got you interested in starting a garden?

Have fun here, and any time you have ANY questions, please ask!!! We will help you!!! =)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2013
6:51 AM

Post #9403579

Goober fairy !!! Yeay!!!! Did your Nana help you find your interest in gardening or did you just come by it on your own?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9403586

Oh Speedie I got so excited I didn't see you had already asked the question!! I remember being 12. I remember gardening better but I remember being 12!! Those cute little cups Bells!!
Goober Fairy will you be showing us picture of the process of your first garden and writing to us all about it?

Here are my little guys gardening with me!! One of them anyway!! His favorite part is watering !!

Thumbnail by arejay59

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9403623

What a welcome Speediebean:)! RJ, your little one is sooo sweet! I'm waiting on my oldest son and his wife to call about our first grand baby! It could be any day, they are adopting! I am so excited I can hardly wait. They are going to be the best parents. They have wanted this baby so much, we all have:).
Aren't the cups fun, I'm worse than when I had my first garden waiting in anticipation! I've never heard of some of the seeds in my cups:). If 'Goober Fair' only knew this is just the beginning for fun and looking at everything that you see a little different, knowing it all just sprouts up? Know what I mean? Mighty oaks from little acorns grow - something like that?:). Down here it's oaks and mighty palms. . . Hee hee
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9403632

Mighty palm tree picture:)

Thumbnail by Bellsp

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2013
8:17 AM

Post #9403687

Hi Gang! - Welcome to all the Newbies! Things seem to be picking up for Spring.

We're shuffling off to Buffalo tonight to see the "Elvis Lives" show at Shay's Theater downtown. There's three professional impersonators depicting diffferent times in his life, should be interesting. We're both great Elvis fans.

Took some time to browse a couple of Buffalo seed shops. Found some heritage Italian Pagano lettuce leaf Basil and Giant Marconi peppers not available at home. Some special container tomatoes, too.

Talk later,
Al
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9403795

I love that !! Goober Fairies "sprouts up" Seed drive!! I cant wait to see what you get Goober Fairy Im going through my stashes too!! This will be so much fun!!
That sounds like fun Al!! I was in Buffalo a few years back and visit the Niagra falls it was a beautiful trip!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9404008

Oh RJ your son is BEEEEE-UUUTEEFUL!!!!!! < =D

Wow Bell, that is a Mighty Palm indeed!

Al, heh heh, I had to giggle at 'shuffling off to Buffalo'.. then had to giggle at myself 'cause I forgot you're in NY, so you meant it literally. =) Hope you guys have a wonderful time!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9404023

Thats my Grandson Speedie bean Im a grammie

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9404040

Woooops, Sorry!! < =/ But he's still sooooo adorabibble!! < =D
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9404047

lol no apology needed!!
Permi_Eden
Meadville, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9404111

Just giving you a head's up that I will be dropping my Envie in the mail to you tomorrow.
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9404149

Thanks, I wish the Mighty Palm was mine Speediebean. I took it while at work with hubby. We do have the nice Pindo Palm that has hubby hanging lights on posted on here at the top, just a Mini Mighty Palm:). I know I hope we here back from Goober Fairy, may be more fun for us than Goober! RJ, lucky you, such a Beautiful Grandbaby!!!! Holler at y'all later! Before I forget I hope lycodad and family have a blast with Elvis concert and super fun vacation AND squeezing in seed shopping, too:).
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2013
12:09 AM

Post #9404490

Ill be watching for your envie qunofdsgn!!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
4:17 AM

Post #9404547

... Just sitting here trying to pronounce " qunofdsgn ". Perhaps a truncated version of "Queen of Design"?? =)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2013
5:02 AM

Post #9404589

Oh!! I think you got it speedie bean!! Queen of Design!! That must be it!!
Permi_Eden
Meadville, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2013
9:37 AM

Post #9404845

I used to be a plastic injection mold designer and work with mostly guys. They tagged me with that name a long time ago. I am onto other engineering things (now I am in estimating), but I am sort of fond of the nickname.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9404858

Wheee!!! **ding! ding! ding!!** Give that girl a Kewpie doll!! < =D

That sounds like interesting work, Your Majesty. =) Tell us more about it, please?
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9404882

Wow - Great music concert, if "Elvis Live" gets to your area be sure to see it. Actually four Elvis impersonators in the troop, and one Ann-Margaret as well. Lots of nice historical music and dance tunes. Fabulous show.

We're now back home alive, winter snow storms on the way but now quite here yet. Lots of seeds to sort out, I'll send some out to Arejay soon.

Al
Permi_Eden
Meadville, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9404896

Kiss the ring. Ha-Ha

Let's see. Plastic injection molding...think of many of the plastic parts in the world today like (as I am sitting at my desk looking) a plastic cup, calculator cover, radio outside, chapstick tube, computer moniter and keyboard, stacking trays, etc. These all are made with plastic injection molds. I used to design the mold/tool used to shape the plastic into the various shapes and forms. I actually worked on parts for some of the first cellphones (remember the first honkin' Motorola phone that had the flip down part that covered the push button keys) and pagers. I have also designed tools for parts on the Segway, medical parts, car parts, etc.

I have covered between then and now customer service, account management, inside sales and, as I said, I am now in estimating but for a slightly different industry. I now work for a company that machines metal components for airplanes and the like.
Permi_Eden
Meadville, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2013
10:34 AM

Post #9404902

Actually, what all got it started was the country song a long time ago by Pam Tillis called Queeen of Denial. They changed it a bit and would actually sing to me!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9405005

Gotta love plastic stuff, lots of room for design options there.

My old Lincoln was made mostly out of plastic..it still is. The Boeing 787 Dreamliner is made of plastic, that must have been a super design job. Now if they could only get the batteries to work..

Al

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9405214

I worked on software for the 787 brake control. Antiskid protection, hydroplane protection, brake temperature monitoring, tire pressure reporting, etc etc.

The circuit boards that watched each wheel had to remeasure everything and recalculate everything and send antiskid commands 200 times per second (every five milliseconds).

Other companies worried about "first flight", but we worried about "first stop".
Our team's unofficial motto was: "787 ... make it STOP!"

Permi_Eden
Meadville, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9405512

And we do appreciate your efforts!! The technology in something so new and cutting edge is mind boggling! We actually make some metal components for the girl.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2013
12:55 AM

Post #9405605

From seeds to plastics!! We are a diverse group, and plenty smart it seems!!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9405704

Hmm. . . Qunofdsgn I'm thankful for the platic that holds my cell phone together so I can call my kids, best friends and chat here and the platic that rolls my Chapstick up:) Rickeycorey, I'm really thankful for the platic part that stops the 747, really:). My only expertise in plastics includes utilizing them! Examples, using bottles to feed my babies when they were still little, making Clorox jugs into Easter baskets while they were busy growing up, making luggage tags for them when they went off to college and started seeing the world, gluing beads on my daughter-in-lovelies wedding veils, buying baby rattles for expected Grandbaby and now while I'm waiting filling Dixie cups with soil and seed and watching and waiting for what happens next:)
Happy Gardening and thank goodness for all of inventor gardening friends who make this world a better place to be!

Guess what - I've got sprouts everywhere! Agastache, pumpkins, tomatos, you name it, it's growing:). Has anyone ever tried for fun to sprout a tomato seed other than in a pack? I've just sprouted what me and Dear Old Dad call our 'Burger King Special'. Hey, RJ, Speediebean, Bumble we think it should grow mini-whoppers lol! They came up so we will see? I just love a little garden FUN! Hey, has anyone heard from Gooberfairy? Glad to here Lycodads trip was so much fun! Planted all my plants from recent trade with flwrsnflyers1, and a few fun bulbs from a neighbor:). Gotta go get some 'Go Go' Juice - coffee that is!
Picture- neighbor Elsie's banana and pride if mobile azalea, she gave me both. Love them!

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9405707

Oops Pride of Mobile , not if! That sounded a little 'iffy'?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9405709

Where qunofdsgn leaves off Al steps in he is the tomato King!! I save my seeds every year Bells, but Al is a real tomato grower!!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9405794

One of my favorites was the Costoluto Genovese tomato grown from heritage Italian seeds by Pagano. They were a little odd and lumpy shaped, but delicious to eat and a great seed saver.

I still have a few seeds left if anybody wants to try something different.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

butterfly4mama
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 2, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9405983

Thank you everyone! What a welcome! I am so glad I joined :-)

I guess I needed to realize why I was holding back from adjusting to the move. I am feeling better and I am ready to start a new garden.

I am going to inventory my seeds today (so I can send seeds/get seeds), start my seeds, and we are going to prepare soil and make a plan :-)

My hubby understood when he said that I just needed to put a plant in some dirt for therapy...lol.

I will DMail you wonderful SoCal Gardeners that offered seed.

Thank you fellow gardeners and Dave's Garden!

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2013
8:42 PM

Post #9406528

Me too RJ, I plant pretty much all seed I find here, there and everywhere to see what happens. Sometimes the results are great, sometimes just ok. Still fun trying. Lycodad, those are gorgeous tomatos! I am experimenting with some I purchased wilt/heat resistance, some wild Florida Everglades mini teeny tomato (pea size/marble) and some Romas and a few others for the heat that everyone sent! I wonder if your Genovese would grow here in north Florida? I did not have luck with my old standbys, last year, but I think I planted to late for here. Tomatos grow in the winter mostly. My neighbor has some big ones put in this fall, so strange for me! I totally get butterfly4mama situation. Totally different soil and time schedule, but I'm really learning to love all the variety here. I did still have a good bunch of tomatos, but had to pick a lot green because of the heat. Happy Gardening
Picture of sprouts-they are growing! Thanks

Thumbnail by Bellsp

Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

February 3, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9406642

Good morning Robin
I just thought I'd stop by this morning to see how this sign up is going. I don't see many names. You'll have to crank this up we only have about a month and a half to go my friend. Tell you what I'll do. If you can get me a total of at least 20 names I'll throw in another box of irises for a second winner.

There is your challenge Robin. You may have to get some help from your "seed junkies" to reach that total.

Large Priorty box of named bearded irises. I'll try to get many different colors and some patterns for you. Red, blues, whites, yellows, oranges, blends, bicolors, plicatas, or self...Most will be the Tall bearded irises but there may be a few of the shorter irises too. Any many as I can get in the box. I'll send along instructions in each box.

What do you say...are you up for the challenge ???????

Mit

Thumbnail by Mitt

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
4:30 AM

Post #9406643

Ya know Bell, I have only grown tomatoes once from seed (last year), and I direct-sowed the seeds right into their containers about the end of May or so. I'm really a lazy gardener. =)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9406656

Good Morning,
I am always up for a challenge my friend!! Pass the word everyone!! Send in your name and envie to get your free seeds and you name goes in the hat for a big and beautiful Iris draw!! Two people win!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9406805

Could I mention that if you are in zones 8 and 9 you send your requests to me, the other zones go to arejay.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9406938

You sure can RC and I put it in the directions at the top of the thread also.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9407090

What's the deadline for getting seeds to you?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2013

Post #9407119

No deadline oh the iris draw? The first day of spring!!
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 3, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9407136

Would I ever love to win those irises. That would do me perfectly!! If I win mail to U.S. Address. lol I'll sneak them over in the dead of night.lol Sandra
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9407294

Us address it is!! Good luck!!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9408137

RJ,
I don't know what I was thinking! Count me in on the Iris draw. If I win I will give them to daughter in lovely in Alabama. She will share right back if need be:)! Also, Speediebean me too lazy, plant everything I can straight out! Goober_Fairy sending your seed out, hope you have good luck. Butterfly4mama sending you some, too, good luck! Happy Gardening!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9408280

Of course, it started to rain once I watered my plants today, LOL!

Passionflower vines are going bezerkers, Meyer Lemon tree is smelling sweet, and both my Mme Alfred Carriere and Ingenious Mr Fairchild roses are putting up buds.

Set four new tomato plant seedlings out to harden off, who knows if I'll have the room for them, but it sure is fun to try. I also scored some dry bamboo to use for stakes, and a folding-type fence to break apart into trellising.

And all of my new neighbors have found out I'm "the plant girl" so I have tons of space to play in.

Now, if I can convince the puppy to stop trying to eat bees, and the neighbor to stop their rooster from crowing all day and night, I'll be set for spring!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
2:51 AM

Post #9408897

FYI~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The newbie seeds are growing growing growing!! Very generous donating!!! Thank you!! XO

Thumbnail by arejay59

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9409187

Did someone ask me for Cleome?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9409189

Cleome

Thumbnail by arejay59

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9409529

Oh those are soooo beautiful!!! Nooo, I didn't ask, just complimenting. :)
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9409555

Hey everyone:). Planted monkey grass all day! The cleomes are beautiful, hubbies favorite! Sprouts are growing:)!!!!!!!
Picture in front - Francesca's favorite spot to hide, under the ginger.

Thumbnail by Bellsp

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9409566

Oh I am jealous fresh ginger!!! Do you grow turmeric too?
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 6, 2013

Post #9410006

Bellsp- is the ginger the large leafed plant in front of the tree? Will it grow from a piece of root from the grocery store? Is any part of the plant edible other than the roots? To harvest you have to pull up the whole plant take some of the roots and replant? if this is the case I am interested in growing this even if I had to do it in a huge pot during the winter. sandra
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
6:24 AM

Post #9410022

I started growing horseradish last year nothing to harvest yet, but that is the same kind of root as ginger and that is how I do it Sandra.
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 6, 2013

Post #9410106

Would starting ginger from a root from grocery store work?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9410121

Yes I do think it would. You can start for instance lemon grass from a root from the grocery store. Probably turmeric too
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9410439

RJ and Sandra thanks, but I have no idea what type of ginger it is. Our little cottage had that, rose crinum, Easter lilies, spider lilies, elephant ears and a couple of Florida bluebells and that was pretty much it. Ivan wiped the rest away! I would love to know if it is the kind I can eat! I also have one fairly sure of ID, butterfly ginger. I grow things all the time from the store! I love to hear about the lemon grass! I'm going to try that. I do have an update on the 'Burger King Special' tomatos - they are vigorously growing! As good or faster than my other tomatos. I pulled these out of a whopper-no kidding! I can't wait to see what kind of tomatos they produce:). I have a closer picture of the ginger below if anyone can see it better? I wouldnt want anyone to think they could eat it if it is the wrong kind? Thanks.

Thumbnail by Bellsp

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9410461

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger
A couple of ginger links
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9410463

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/ginger/growing-ginger.htm
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9410557

RJ, Thanks, I'll check that out:) and maybe go dig a piece up and look at the root/tuber?
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9410638

Okay here's pictures of the top, roots and all. This is of a new plant that I pulled up in front to have a look at. My old ones in the back yard are older and have the 'grocery store' looking root. I really just loved the green clumping foliage. How funny that I didn't think of 'grocery store-edible' ginger? I'm still don't know. I haven't noticed a bloom? Mine in back is about 11/2' tall. I hope it is the edible variety, but will have to be sure before I say so. I think the best for edible is to get some at the grocery store. I read on the link that you can get it at the store and soak the root and plant in compost rich, moist, warm soil (rainy,spring) and it was fairly easy to grow. It likes shade to part shade and humidity. I would appreciate any help with accurate ID. When it's not getting dark out I could dig a big root out back and photo.

Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp      

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9410646

mitchesgarden, I think you would have to keep in a pot in Ohio? But, since it is harvested in the fall after the leaves die maybe you could keep digging the edge roots and keep it small? I think it mentioned that it takes about a year for the root to get big enough to harvest. One site mentioned the butterfly ginger has an edible flower, but I'm not going to try mine, I'm just not that sure on ID:)
I guess me and you and RJ will be running to the store! I'm always growing stuff from there. My chayote has no sprout, yet. . .
Happy Gardening
Bellsp
Also, good spot on my picture!
jenipa02
Lincoln, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2013
6:56 PM

Post #9410718

Hi, I sent my bubble mailer at the beginning of last week. Have your received it yet Robin?
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 6, 2013
10:11 PM

Post #9410829

Bellsp- lol I would definitely have to keep it in a pot or atleast repot it every Fall because I'm in Ontario, Canada not Ohio. If I were in Ohio, it wouldn't take me long to pack up and get out of this cold! I would be moving south in no time at all.lol We all have our crosses to bear and one of mine is being born in a cold climate country. (and not having enough money to afford two homes!) For A more positive ID ,maybe DG plant identifiers could help you or your local garden centers or plant nurseries. Just a thought. Sandra
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
11:20 PM

Post #9410842

Does it smell like Ginger Bells? Jenipa I did get your envie and I filled it and it is on the way back to you!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
11:35 PM

Post #9410844

I was web site grazing this morning and found this. http://www.underwoodgardens.com/germination-guide/
just a little info for seed starters!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
11:42 PM

Post #9410846

Bells this woman grows ginger and she is fun to read she is on Facebook too if you use it. http://pickmeyard.wordpress.com/
She has photos that look like yours
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
3:46 AM

Post #9410883

Thanks RJ I'll check that out and mitchesgarden thanks, too! I'll be trying to get a positive ID. This was an older military community that we moved to, so it is possible that one of the wives planted it a moons age ago:). We love it here, the Blue Angels do their practice flights across the bay from us and I can't tell you the chills it gives to not only see them flipping and looping through the sky, but actually feel the roar of their engines as they zoom over my roof so close I can see the cockpit! I just adore the Blues and I really hope they don't cut back on them. We have a fantastic airshow over the Pensacola beach. It is unreal! They fly upside down across the water and i swear to you it looks like they are skimming the waves, they get that close! Plan a trip and visit pensacola when they have a show going. Pensacola is laid back and a best kept secret (our beaches are sugar white and a mile wide, clear water, shells, dolphins, rays, pelicans, seafood! Gee, maybe the public relation people should be paying me. The cost of living is low . . . Maybe you can afford that second home after all:) Mitchesgarden I'm sorry I thought you were from Ohio-that's what happens when I don't wear my glasses and use this little phone to read off of. My dear gardening friend Elsie is from Canada. She's been here over 30 years. Her and her husband of 55 years love it down here. I wish you could afford to have 2 homes, too. I had a friend who toured Alaska one spring, she said there were wildflowers growing on top of frozen tundra! And I've heard the cabbages get to be monsters! I guess every place on earth has certain plant perks. My dad and mom, aunt and uncle traveled Canada and said it was gorgeous!
Well, you guys have a great gardening morning!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
4:55 AM

Post #9410911

RJ,
Thank you! My ginger does smell very gingery. I may try taking it to a nursery. Terrific website. It was great! I love that families pigeon peas (huge bush) and I'm going to check, but I think you guys sent me the calabaza squash and it is in one of my cups. Yea! I have to rush off to check, soooo cool! I also have to have those cosmic red carrots from bakers creek, gorgeous!!!!! Wish I had her cute goats! Has anyone had a sighting of Charley and his girls lately?
Picture of yellow daisy they plant around condos down here and I saw this growing loose on a bank owned lot- not sure yet what it is, but i snagged a few seeds. It mounds and spreads. The bananas are hanging on neighbor Elsie's plant. I had a bunch, but already cut mine:). They only get about 4-5", pretty good fresh, excellent in banana bread:). The pendulous (ha ha) red blossom is so unusual to me. They are quite heavy and each large fleshy red petal peals back revealing these small tubular yellow blossoms that form the bananas later on. Before moving here I had never seen anything like it. I'm fascinated, but it seems most everyone here takes them for granted:). My friend gave me a kumquat tree and I can hardly wait for it to fruit. I had heard they were sour, ( I was planning on using for jams only) but hubby brought 3 tiny ones home from a job and they were small, but scrumptious little treats (dead ripe) to me.

Also, lycodad mentioned costoluto Genoese tomato. I was sent some constoluto fiiroentino tomatos, can't wait to see what they do.

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
5:26 AM

Post #9410932

Picture of some tomato sprouts and one unknown medium sized orange skinned pumpkin! I just love surprises:)
It's raining here - just watching the seeds grow!

Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp      

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2013
2:55 AM

Post #9412784

Looking for Begonia seeds. (@-@)
U
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2013
5:28 AM

Post #9412857

Snowed in

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013

Post #9412896

RJ,
Wow, you are snowed in! What a picture, a perfect mild if your door. When does your snow stop?
Also, I don't have begonias or seed. I think I am too clumsy, always breaking them:(. I love them, though, and don't some if them trail?
Bellsp

Picture of Pierre, he has a built in fur coat. Doesn't do him much good down here and keeps me running around with one of those hair rollers.

Thumbnail by Bellsp

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9412947

I think you got the snow we missed by inches here, Robin! Still downright cold and windy though.

I'm sending out some more seeds to add to your stash if the postal folks can still find you. Hope you've got some help with the shoveling. Stay warm!

Al
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9413030

Post office closed today because of the storm!! I don't recall that ever happening
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9413140

I have seeds of Begonia grandis ssp evansiana and Begonia grandis. Will add them to the Monday package.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
11:42 AM

Post #9413185

Honey Im home... Can I be a New Bee again?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2013
11:45 AM

Post #9413186

Thank You Jonna!! You certainly can Jan!!! Mekos is home Bumble!!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9413198

I got blooms...

Thumbnail by mekos   Thumbnail by mekos         

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
12:01 PM

Post #9413201

I missed you guys! Lol
Here are some blooms I have right now...

Thumbnail by mekos   Thumbnail by mekos   Thumbnail by mekos   Thumbnail by mekos   

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9413216

I know the yellow one is trout lily, but does anyone know what the others here are? They are wild flowers from SC. But Im not sure on names.

Thumbnail by mekos   Thumbnail by mekos   Thumbnail by mekos   Thumbnail by mekos   

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9413219

Oh look at all that pretty stuff!! Did you see Bells ginger? Is it Ginger the edible kind?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
12:20 PM

Post #9413225

Wow, im catching up now on the posts. Nice!!! I love Gingers. I have Blue Gingers but they havent bloomed yet. I hope this summer I will get to see the flower. I have Tumeric growing.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9413302

Growing ginger http://thehomesteadsurvival.com/growing-baby-ginger-backyard-garden-vegetable-crop/#.URa-G6Vpcz4

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9413430

Hi Mekos, nice to meet you! =)

Ooooh look at all the pretty little faces you have there, I LOVE them!!!!!! Let's see, looks like you've got some anemones and some narcissus of some sorts. And they grow wild around you? YAY YOU!! < =D

Robin, GREAT GOOGLEY MOOGLEY!!!!!! Now THAT'S some snow!!!!!!!! You be careful and stay safe, ok?? How's your generator working? All in operating order I'm guessing!? (fretfully) < =/
butterfly4mama
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 9, 2013
11:50 PM

Post #9413818

Bellsp,

Thank you so much for the seeds! I was over joyed and amazed at such kindness from a stranger :-) You have such a large heart! The children and I had fun sifting through them and researching the ones we didn't know. I am so excited that they will contribute to our new garden!

Pensacola sounds gorgeous. I would love bananas growing everywhere. I sent you a Dmail. Thank you for sharing with this newbee.

Amanda
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2013
2:04 AM

Post #9413831

Looks like you have some trillium there Mary Ellen
http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2010/04/stinking-benjamina-trillium-that-by-any-other-name-would-still-smell-as-sweet.html
aka wake robin...lol...stinking benjamine...lol

Some kind of passiflora

http://www.passiflorasociety.org/

lungwort comes to mind with the spotted one (not a positive id so dont drink it or anything)
http://www.phytochemicals.info/plants/lungwort.php

maybe bloodroot there
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ottawahort.org/newphotos/2008/jeff/bloodroot/medium/bloodroot_plant.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ottawahort.org/2008bloodroot.htm&h=194&w=259&sz=1&tbnid=0PqGbkF6eCpuxM:&tbnh=160&tbnw=213&zoom=1&usg=__Cs7TaistOPYVde_on20GikzIqmA=&docid=6S1vxMecc9gzrM&itg=1&sa=X&ei=kW8XUbqWNa-C0QHakYDYAg&ved=0CPMBEPwdMA8

bugleweed the other one looks like. It will be fun to see if anyone ids them positively!!

The snow has stopped here!! I hear there is ice coming though we will see. I haven't need the generator or the battery charger yet...

Thumbnail by arejay59

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9414064

Oh swell, ice, just what you need now! Get those doggies ready with the sled! < =0
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2013
9:10 PM

Post #9414870

Yea I have trillium and trout lily but there was a couple I just couldnt remember the names. I do have blood root but not pictured. I posted on the plant ID forum but they only knew 4 of t he 5 I posted. When the other one blooms I will try to post a picture of it too. Maybe we can I D it then for sure.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2013
11:59 PM

Post #9414921

We need 11 more names and we get a second Iris draw!!
Here is a new thread come on over !!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/gardentalk/all/

Thumbnail by arejay59

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9415251

Hey memos, beautiful trillium and other flowers! Still no positive ID on my ginger, so off to grocery I go:). Your welcome butterfly and kiddos! Got to get moving, stuff is growing and the weeds are already laughing at me this morning! Beautiful day-hope you all have a great one!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9415269

Come to the new thread Bells http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/gardentalk/all/
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9415356

Watch your mailboxes ...more went out today!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9416374

Looking for

Joseph's Coat
Alternanthera ficoidea

If anyone has any I would be happy to trade or pay for the postage.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9416380

PS new thread over here...come on over http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1297842/

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9416408

I think I may have some Begonia seed.
Mekos is Back!!! Yeaaaaaaaa!!! i can't believe it. girls you will love our Mekos.
The party has started now. Even the big red mule is Dancing...YeeeeeeeHawwwwwwww!!!!
Welcome home, Mekos. We been missing you so much!!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9416410

Yes they will see a party!!!
Permi_Eden
Meadville, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9435460

Are you still collecting seeds for newbees? I have a few items that I have quite a few seeds of that I could share.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2013

Post #9435573

Yes we are always collecting!! We would love to have your seeds!!!
Permi_Eden
Meadville, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9439534

I dropped the seeds being donated in the mail to you today. The post office said you should have them Friday.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9439597

I am always ready for seed donations!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9459891

Iris Draw will be by the week end!! Come see...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1297842/#new
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9467021

Its time for the drawing!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294140/
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2013
8:46 PM

Post #9529179

Hello Charleen and Rick good to see you two roaming around.
Regards,
Arif.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2013
1:45 AM

Post #9529289

Good Morning Kamasud, I think everyone is over here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1297842/#top
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2013
5:20 AM

Post #9529413

Thank you arejay59.
Regards,
Arif.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9529755

Charley says Hello, Arif...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America