-
AuthorContent
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

January 14, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9384425

Thought I would start a thread for 2013 of a general nature regarding ponds as they progress into summer. For instance, my pond is thawing out and I am experiencing a greater (by a bunch) degree of fish death (just --- yeah, JUST goldfish --- but they are my fishies and mourn them). I found four fairly large (for me) gold fish in the skimmer dead with three more rimming the bowl (so to speak) at the bottom. Can unseasonably warm weather while there is still at least a thin ice cap on the pond (not including holes for air and the skimmer is totally ice free) contribute to fish death? Not sure how long this has been going on as the snow just melted enough to let me uncover the skimmer.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9385003

Mary

Did you inspect the goldfish that were found in the skimmer? How did they look?

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

January 14, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9385107

Dead???? Sorry, couldn't resist. I didn't see anything wrong except for the expected damage due to being dead for a while in the water. Not even much of that. I just wondered if the change in temp (although the water temp shouldn't have changed much at the bottom) would do any harm. Plus why do they congregate in the skimmer? There is nothing there to attract them. It isn't any warmer. I still think it's oxygen deprivation. It was once again the larger ones that have died. I think I had twelve left last fall. Six of the biggest are dead. The ones in the skimmer are somewhat smaller, and those even smaller must still be in the caves. Guess I will find out in the spring. But I agree with Damien. For sure no more koi. Just gold fish. It's just that they were just getting to be interesting sizes. sigh
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9385120

I had that one coming ^_^. I was wondering if there was any hint of ulcer disease.

Damien may be right - especiallly with the larger ones going as they will require more oxygen.

I am assuming you have your bubblers going? Other than that, I am not sure.

I dont' know why they would be in the skimmer either - question though regarding the skimmer - mine shuts down when the pumps are started and the trap door closes - are you running a pump so the door stays open?

I know I have read where goldfish can get ice crystals in their gills - I am wondering if this is what is going on.

Thoughts?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

January 14, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9385197

We didn't run a bubbler this year after running one through the caves last year with awful results. We should have at least fun one down in the deep end on the floor. Guess we were pretty discouraged. No, we shut down everything. The water is pumped down to just below the pipe in the skimmer that would feed the biowell above. We have a heat trace in it to thaw out what water trickled down from the biowell in the spring then freezes so the pipes don't burst. We don't have a door per se, just the 3 or 2" pipe that connects to the pump that sits in the skimmer all summer pumping water from the pond up to the biowell, and from there it goes down the falls. I didn't notice any obvious wounds though on the fish.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9386523

Gee wiz Mary,
You have been having rotten luck with your fish. Sure hope it doesn't continue.
I know just how it feels to keep burying some every day. Remember last spring?
Right now it appears all is well in both ponds. Just added 13 blue and yellow shubunkins to old pond. 1 new butterfly koi to larger pond. Weather has been so warm I am still feeding. 83 here today.
Weather seems wacky all over. I am surprised you were getting a thaw now. Who knows.

Take care and hope spring brings better results with your fish living.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9386590

It is discouraging, but once you find out what the problem is, then you should be fine.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

January 16, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9386975

Thanks guys. It is what it is. Will take stock in the spring. I figure I have about six left at this point. And, yes, I remember last spring in your pond. Absolutely terrible. What you lost was awful, day after day. My losses can't compare. So thanks for the kind words.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
7:27 PM

Post #9388723

I hope all you northern folks stay warm.
Saw weather on TV last night that is going thru Mississippi and southern states. What a mess. I saw snow flurries here in years past but it never stayed on the ground. Everybody was out with cameras taking pics. Not me, I saw enough when I lived in New England.
Most of those states don't own snow removal equipment. I well remember black ice. Now that is bad.

39 degrees tonight predicted. I won't complain cause I don't think it will kill my plants. Famous last words.
Oh well just roll with the flow is all we can do.

Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

January 17, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9388728

Two day steady snow; light flaky stuff. Easy to shovel; lousy to make snowmen with, (hmmm, have the PC people renamed them snowpersons??). Glad to have my plants under a nice warm blanket.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9414121

Pondlove

I know what you mean by the rock necklace.

When we put our last pond in, DH wanted to put rocks on edge so that the shelf was now closed off for the most part by the rock. Then we put rinsed pea gravel into this shelving and planted things into the pea gravel. We have a small pump that runs through the larger of the bogs and this goes a long way to keeping the water clean.

The first picture was taken the middle of March last year. The second picture is of the same bog and was taken in the middle of July of last year. In the late fall the plants get cut back so they don't fall into the water and rot.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22   Thumbnail by Carolyn22         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 10, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9414522

I keep trying to figure out a way to emulate your bog. I don't think I can do that but I think I can get some draping plants to cover some of the rock necklace. The improvements in 2012 got rid of at the least the horrible rock pile and replaced it with a nice trim edging for about a third of the pond (or better). I have a draping evergreen on one part and found that water celery returns each year here. Amazing considering our weather. And the same weather keeps it under control with a little judicious clipping and edging. I also planted some Creeping Jenny that drapes over a portion of the flat edge rock. It should look so much better this summer. We'll see.

Your koi are huge Carolyn. Just beautiful.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9414639

Mary -

Thank you. I am really looking forward to seeing them. It feels like forever.

I think the only reason the water celery isnt' invasive for you is because you are in Alaska. I have seen areas around my pond where it has jumped the bog and is growing on the ground by the pond.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9415608

Beautiful Carolyn and I agree with Mary your fish look huge. About how long are they now and how old?
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2013
3:16 PM

Post #9415839

Thank you, Bonnie. I would have to be guessing at this point. The last time we measured the fish was when we last emptied the pond and that was in 2009. My fish are old enough that their growth would not be very rapid. The largest at that time and still is my kohaku and he was measured at 23.5", so I am guessing he is probably 24-25". Not sure how old he is - I know I have one that is older than the kohaku and not as big. I would guess my oldest fish to be 9-10 years old at this point.

We lost the last one of our original fish the year before last and at that point, that fish was 10 years old. We lost her when my husband had an awful time catching her to quarantine her and felt there were some internal injuries. She had injuries from spawning that were becoming infected. Thankfully, the injuries from spawning do not normally become infected.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9417976

Fish were moving around in the pond when I came home from work today. You can see the ice and the fish in this picture. We are supposed to get cold the end of this week, so I am sure they will slow down again.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 13, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9418076

what an amazing picture. Are the fish under the ice or does the ice end at the white section?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9418145

The ice is the white section. Some of them were moving rather quickly, I thought.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9418208

I'll bet those fish will really be glad when spring comes. And I know you will be Carolyn when you can readily see and enjoy them.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9418285

I had a large butterfly in a tubbie for a dip today, and went out and found her on the deck. Must have jumped at some point. Lost most of her scales (she has big doitsu scales) and looks tattered, but is still alive. We'll see if she recovers! Sheesh, you get personally insulted when you try to help them and they turn on you...haha! :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2013
4:20 AM

Post #9418570

Mary - you are so right. I always take it heart too.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9420340

I have 2 fairly long screen that came from windows we replaced and I saved them cause twice I had 2 that took a leap of faith and ended up dead. Learned my lesson. Now when anybody goes into sick tank or quaranteen they get covered.

Got 1 in larger pond that Jeff neted up and he jumped out of net. Second time he got him he jumped from one net to another that Jeff had ready in his left hand. I naturally named him Jumper and I'm just waiting for him to jump out of pond one day. Wouldn't surprise me. A friend told me fish each had their own personality and she doesn't even have fish but I think she is right. They never cease to amaze me.

Good luck with it Mary. Hope he heals up.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9420458

We have something similar that we fashioned - the quarantine tank is the 90 gallon walmart pond we started out with. DH had some screening and made a large enough frame to fit over the walmart tub. So far, it has worked well. Odd that they like to jump like that isn't it? I always wondered what was going through their minds after they have jumped out and are just laying there on the ground... I can just hear Laurel and Hardy - "This is another fine mess you have gotten me into".

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9422455

Mary, I am surprised to hear that your ponds are thawing. I would have thought that they would still be frozen. Mine are still frozen and the energy efficient heater that we bought a couple of years ago really doesn't do well keeping a hole in the ice. About 2 weeks ago during some freezing rain it closed up and still hasn't thawed so I am expecting some dead fish and frogs come spring.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 17, 2013
8:13 PM

Post #9422520

Our temps have been running consistently above 30F and during the days about 35-36F. The ice cap remains but gets thinner and the open water portions around the deicers gets larger. We are now running more inthe 20's so the ice is still rotten but with the snow falling on top there is no open water except around the deicers and in the skimmer where we have a third deicer. Fish hang out there quite often. Not sure if it is because of temp or availability of open water = oxygen.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2013
1:36 AM

Post #9422614

Mary

What I find interesting is that your winter has been less harsh than mine - Holly, I think I can include you in that as well. We are still in the teens.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2013
4:38 AM

Post #9422682

Our temps rise and fall every other day. Right now it is 20* outside and yesterday with the windchill it was colder. A few days ago it was warm enough to look around and think it might be nice enough to do a little yard work.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 18, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9422989

Only yard work I could do would be shovel snow. I won't see the yard til the end of March and then just in spots.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9423101

We haven't had much snow in our area yet. It was just beautiful a few days ago just a couple of inches. A nice light wet snow that clung to the branches and made everything beautiful but it was gone by afternoon.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9426487

http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/FishHealth/SpringOutbreak.htm

Hopefully the above link opens for you. It's a GREAT read, especially for this time of year, when everyone is getting ready to get their ponds up and running again. This is the main time of year for fish disease!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9427345

Can't open it up.
Right now I am up to my neck with work. Had 3 truck loads of trim trimmings that had been chipped droped of by power co. sub. and they are too large for mulch. So me and a borrowed 8 HP shredder are trying to get thru the piles. So far 3 days of work 3 - 5 gal. cans of gas and I've just made a dent in it. I'm exhausted but will persist. When I get enough done for flower beds I'll just throw the rest along pasture fence to keep weeds down. It will rot down into good soil eventually. Got to get it out of the yard before RU.

Mary did you mark your calendar for April 13 for RU. I don't want you to miss another one if you can help it.

Hope no one experiences sick fish this spring. Keep fingers crossed.
Bonnie

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
7:50 PM

Post #9427391

M Mary,
Link came up while I was closing out so printed whole thing out. GREAT reference material. I'll pass it onto Jeff.
Thanks much. Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2013
4:52 AM

Post #9427562

MM - a lot of good info in that link. I should print it off too.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 22, 2013
10:21 AM

Post #9427877

We have had snow almost daily, some light some heavy, for the last two weeks. A reprise of last spring. I was hoping for light snow so I could move it off the gardens and pond early. Course, the snow on the pond just provides fresh water so that is okay. It is the first spot to thaw due to the rock surrounds that warm up and then warm the air, water and reflect heat to the snow and ice. My sure harbinger of spring when I can see open water.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9428844

The birds have been singing the last couple of mornings. I am hoping they know something I don't know. Funny thing, yesterday morning as I was leaving the house for work - I thought I heard a robin and when I stopped to listen, I heard cardinals. I am not saying the robin wasn't there, but who knows? One can only hope right?

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 23, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9428903

Never thought about robins. We have ravens and the occasional eagle, doves, and small birds that cover trees so fully they look almost leafed out. No robins. In spring we see Stellar Jays and I guess you are right robins. There are also starlings that roost in a birdhouse on top of a 10' steel pole by our mail box. It has a weather vane on top.

I was checking my seed packets and it appears that I have some stuff that I have to start about mid-March. I also have to go buy some begonia tubers to start now if I want flowers this summer. I hate to say it but I find it hard to get motivated this spring. Winter really takes a tole.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9429040

I ordered my variegated water celery, something I've always wanted to try along an edge of a pond. Also found amazing black plastic 26 inch bowl/dish/planter thingies at Lowes for 11.99 in the pond section. Not sure what I'm going to do with them, but I'm thinking most likey small water lilies with some upward rush in each, at the corners of my decks.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 23, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9429122

Watchout for the celery. It is really hardy even here. It survives our winter and if started early enough will cover half the pond by summer's end.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9429421

I wasa thinking of growing it outside of the pond, in the moist dirt along the edge. The capper stones should separate it from the water...Do you think it will crawl over and spread throughout the pond? Is it a "water" plant...or is it a moist area plant?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9429431

MM - Water celery is a moist area plant. It has jumped most of my bogs and also outside of the pond into the ground around the pond. Funny thing is that it has also moved into my herb garden which is further away, but at the backside of the pond. The area of the herb garden isn't always moist soil, which makes me wonder if the plant is just invasive, period.

Mary - we don't have the Stellar Jays, however I have seen pictures of them. I have to tell you, the first time I saw a bald eagle flying, I was going across the bridge from work and I almost wrecked the car - what a truly gorgeous site to see the eagles trolling the river.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 24, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9429595

Mary, my money is on the celery jumping just about anything. I first put it into a pot hanging from the rocks on the side of the pond into the water. It sent out roots into the water and into the rocks spreading across the top of the pond with roots every few inches. I didn't worry as I figured it would get killed in the winter. I was totally shocked to see the stuff growing up out of the almost non-existant soil between the rocks. It had to have sent roots deep that were protected from the cold. It has come back for two years. I have to chop runners hard as it wants to climb back from the pond up the dirt into the garden. If it continues to do this I will put a systemic killer on it. It is risky as it will follow the plant back to its roots which are on the outside of the pond. I would cut back anything that was growing into the pond. I have the horrible feeling it is slowly girdling the pond. I am hopeful that it is not strong enough to get through the liner. Shoot. Now I am really starting to worry.I never thought anything from 'outside' could survive our winters. Didn't consider it might go deep enough to be insulated from the cold.

Carolyn, how do you control yours? lol about the eagle. They really are beautiful even if they don't have the greatest rep. Carrying off small dogs and all. True story.. carried off a small dog several years ago down in Homer.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9429608

I was given some water celery last year. I sink several pots of my water plants in the Veggie Garden to over winter and the WC is one of those plants. I had some along with horsetail rush growing together in a large pot with a potted tropical water lily.They were just growing loose in that pot not potted up so I just pulled the whole mess out and dropped it in the Veggie Garden for the winter along with some other plants that are in pots. The TWL was brought inside to over winter. Wonder if I will have any water celery growing in my Veggie Garden. LOL
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9429609

Mary/Merry Mary -

I know the water celery has jumped the perimeter of my pond into the various bogs. Periodically Dave will have to cut it from the waterfalls so the water isn't channeled elsewhere and as stated, the stuff is growing into my herb garden. I don't see the roots taking over the interior of the pond like an unpotted water lotus or a water lily can do. The roots are fibrous which makes them an excellent water filtration plant - but truthfully, at some point Dave and I will be moving South for retirement - build another pond and as we have discussed - this plant will not be a part of that pond.

We have the Golden Eagles as well as the Bald Eagles - such magnificant birds. I have heard they will carry off cats and small dogs - in my estimation, as unfortunate as that is, they are birds of prey and are doing what nature has designated them to do. It is the balance of nature and I understand that - I have a bigger problem with mankind upsetting the balance of nature.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 24, 2013
6:10 AM

Post #9429636

No disagreement here -- as long as it isn't MY little dog that gets carried off. lol
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9430379

I don't blame you there, Mary. Reminds me of the Sandra Bullock movie - can't remember the name - you know the one...The Proposal.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 24, 2013
7:04 PM

Post #9430424

Thanks for all the info everyone! I really appreciate it! I'm wondering if it will be as invasive here in Florida (where we don't have good soil, moist soil, shady spots, or anything else!) People always say mint is so invasive, and here in the scorching sun and only sand, I can barely get a small contained pot to grow...same thing with chives. Maybe(?) water celery will be controlled here, by they elements, like the others... stay tuned!! :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 24, 2013
8:07 PM

Post #9430493

Interesting. Yeah, it will be interesting. My bet is on invasive though.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2013
1:31 AM

Post #9430588

[quote="Oberon46"]Interesting. Yeah, it will be interesting. My bet is on invasive though.[/quote]

I second that! ^_^

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2013
3:41 AM

Post #9430616

I have done a bit of gardening in Fl. when visiting my FIL. I will say that it sure is easy to dig and things are pretty easy to remove. I couldn't believe how easy it was to remove a tree stump and tame the jungle that was his back yard.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9432541

I was given some water celery a few months back and just left in it the black plastic box it came in and its in the old pond about 1/2 down in the water. If it jumps out of the box and spread it will help shade the fish during our hot summers.

If it becomes invasive I'll jump in and thin it out.

Is it true that people eat it?

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9432594

I have no clue! That certainly would make it more useful! I just saw the pinkish tinted one and thought I'd order some for the area that will be the bio pond. Now I'm nervous as heck! :D Don't the koi keep it nibbled back? Maybe I should put it in a center water floating planter?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9432678

Bonnie - I have read that people do eat it, but not something that I want to try.

MM - yes, the fish do eat it. They love it and honestly, if my fish had feet, they would have their feet spread to give leverage while pulling the water celery out. It is fun to watch them - somehow in the water, the fish seem to be able to hold their ground and pull it out, like they do have feet that are firmly planted on a floor and then they tug as hard as they can with their mouths. Quite often we find bare stems and such from the water celery stuck in and amongst the lily pads or in the skimmer basket.

On the flip side of that - my fish tend to spawn in the mass of water celery on the far end. I do think there are less spawning injuries because of the mass of WC. I don't know if you use the spawning mops, but it is an alternative.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9433039

Did a little research. They are highly recommended for water garden for edibles. Also, lots of other plants raised in water on the list. Not recommended you eat out of fish ponds that have been treated with algae or other chemical treatments.
Makes sence.

Talked about how to grow a water garden of edibles. Don't ask me where I found the site but I just googled it.

I'll have to take some out of pond to clean up and start in plain water. I'm just curious. If it doesn't kill the fish I wouldn't think it would harm humans. It's commonly used as a condiment or as a salad. Learn something new everyday.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9433104

Hmmmm...pretty cool concept! If it's edible, then I'm ok with having extra!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2013
3:29 PM

Post #9436797

M. Mary,
Supposed to be real cold tomorrow night (Sun.) Hope our fish hunker down and plants make it thru.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9436914

How cold are you supposed to get?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
7:20 PM

Post #9436986

Thanks Bonnie! I hope you keep warm! My bananas already look bad from the last cold snap. I know they'll recover, but the brown tattered leaves drive me crazy to look at. I added an extra pump to the swimming pool holding pond, where my big guys are, just to keep the water moving. I didn't feed anyone today, in fear the water would chill too much. The water lilies haven't stopped blooming since last year, and the lotus are just now srouting their beginning leaves. I'm hoping this frost/freeze doesn't kill that baby greenery. My "barely there citrus trees have blossoms right now, so I don't want any potential setting fruits to fall off.
I recieved my water celery plants, 3 small bare rooted ones, and have them in a tub of water. Now that everyone has warned me about how invasive they are, I'm trying to decide what to do with them. I'm pretty sure I'll use them in one corner, where there's nothing behind it but decking. I want it to dangle in the water, so the koi have something to nibble on.
I'm hoping the cold wont effect the rest of my mollies. They're about 4 inches long, but the last cold snap wiped out half of them, including the really big one whose father was a blue guppy ( I know I know, I didn't believe it either until I researched it!) It was a normal large black and white marble molly, with a blue tail. I was shocked! I was sad to see it go, I don' t know if I'll ever get another one out of a brood.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9437684

Carolyn,
Weather man says 38. Ug!!!
Finally finished chipping mulch piles today so I put some around most of my plants. That should help protect them. I loaded my Australian tree fern and took down hanging pots near house and covered them with a quilt. I have 2 ruffled Boston ferns that I really like. I planted one last year in rocks around pond and it has spread on its own and looks great.
Poinsettas are still blooming but tonight might get them. Also, wisteria and glory bower and fire spike are blooming.
I'm sorry to say M Mary tangerines did nothing but wizzle up so none this year.
I also see I have some bromiliads blooming.
Keeping my fingers crossed. I hate looking at brown burned leaves from the cold. Ornamental banana plants got zaped in first cold snap. Usually they come back.
M Mary I'm sorry you lost such an unusual fish. Did the one that jumped out last week make it?
Heres hoping temps. don't stay down long.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9437713

I am hoping it doesn't get as cold for all of you as it says it is going to get. I am hoping it is warmer here too. Quite often the weatherman is way off - I hope that is the case with this bunch of weather.

MM - I am sorry you lost such an unusual fish too.

Bonnie -that is too bad about the tangerines - do you also grow the special oranges that are used in marmalade as well? Every spring and summer I make jams and jellies when the fresh fruits are available and have looked longingly at marmalades.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9437839

Thought you might enjoy a few pics that my DH took at our 2 local Flower Shows. Maybe give you all a few ideas.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9437848

Holly

is that the Phila Flower Show? I have not been in years. Every year I say I am going to get back there and I don't. This past weekend was DH's birthday and he wanted to go. ^_^

Beautiful pictures.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9437854

A few more.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9437859

No Carolyn, Some are from the Garden Expo in Harrisburg and some from the York Flower Show. Our plan is to head to the Phila Show on Friday and the Md. Orchid Society Show next Sunday. I really loved this fountain. Hard to really see but it sat in a small pond and the water flowed over the edges and into the pond. They had some nice plants in the pond.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9437883

Holly

such beautiful photos. I can almost hear the sound of the waterfalls...

Thank you for posting them.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9439370

Love those curvy sticks in the middle of the fountain. Tall plants look like horsetail rush. I used to have some but they broke every pot I put them in and grew like wildfire. Nursery warmed me not to put them in ground as they would take over well they took over in the old pond too.

If I went to a show like that one I'd go bonkers. We used to go to Home Show in Orlando but it got very expensive considering what we would buy. But I do really appreciate having an electric gate on our driveway even tho we have replaced the motor 3 times. Keeps our animals in and others out. Trained my dog not to go thru it even when its open.
People constantly turn around in our driveway and I don'tlike them getting too close to the house so gate helps a lot.

Hope you all have warmed up. My pond water has been 30 degrees for 2 days. Supposed to warm up today and I sure hope so. Don't want to loose fish. They are hanging around right at the bottom. So far none floating bellyup.

Bonnie
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2013
9:04 AM

Post #9439503

I plant quite a few plants up here that I would never plant in a warmer clime or in an open pond in our area. I have some Horse Tail Rush that I grew in a very large pot last summer.
Well, I am on a Garden Show roll, Garden Expo in Hbg was Feb 22-24, York Flower Show March 1-3. We are heading to the Phila Flower Show on Friday, Sat will be Garden Wise a day long lecture series and then finally Sunday to the MD. Orchid Society Show the Md Home & Garden Show will be held at the same location on the same day as well.
I may have more pictures for you all if you think you would enjoy them. Depending on what I get maybe it would be best to put them on a different thread
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9439581

I'm hoping the water warms up too Bonnie! Of course every time I say something like that, it goes to 90 the next day and I'm upset with myself for not being more specific with asking for wamer weather!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9439648

Holly -I would love to see your pictures! Sounds like you will have a lot of fun!

MM - pls send the 90 degree weather. I like it in the 90's!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9439740

Holly love the pics for inspiration.

Carolyn it wil be up in the 90's before we know it.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2013
1:50 PM

Post #9439822

Bonnie

I am looking forward to it ^_^.

Looked at the pond when I came home from work - soon, very soon we should be looking at start up. I can't wait!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 7, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9441794

Brrr...Hopefully this will be the last night in the 30's...All fish look fine, so hoping the warmer weather gets here soon! Don't forget to set your clocks ahead this weekend!
:)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9443389

Soon it will be time to do spring cleanup of ponds. Mine are full of sludge which the oak blossoms turned into.

Thanks for the time reminder Mary. And yes I can do without these 30's at night. So far haven'tlost any fish due to the cold water. Just not feeding them yet.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2013
4:07 AM

Post #9443525

It cannot come soon enough for me Bonnie. I see my fish moving around in the murk at the lower part of the pond. I would love to be able to hear my waterfalls going at night again with my porch door open and see the greenery in the back yard as I am sitting at the table with my morning coffee on a bright Saturday morning.

I checked my pond journals and last year, start up was on March 11th - the year before start up was on March 17th so we are in that time frame. I know that there was one year we started up and it was the first week in April - that is before I started journaling everything in 2007, so we won't go there! ^__^

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2013
4:55 AM

Post #9443547

You start up your pond much sooner than I do. I don't have that type of journal but I should start one. I mostly just have a plant list. Ric has this neat calendar that he down loaded. He is keeping a seed starting list on it and I was out taking pictures of some spring plants that popped up just a few days ago. I started thinking about doing a bed journal again.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2013
10:01 AM

Post #9443805

Holly

I use the blogging feature on DG for my pond journals. I have tried to keep a written journal and too many items were being forgotten. I should have started with the pond journals online much sooner than I did - I have found that it has been an invaluable tool.

When do you start up your pond? Typically we get a pump up and running one at a time - we also will pull waterlily pots and get them all feritilized for the year and because everything is off the pond floor - we will do a couple passes and vacuum down the pond. This gets everything in good order for the ponding season. We don't get it all done at once, but it is definitely something I look forward to every spring.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9444117

Well the Birdbath Pond just takes a switch to turn it back on. It is the deep pond where we overwinter all the fish and some of the water plants. We don't always clean it out. Every other year or so. It doesn't have a filter just a pump. The pump stays in all season long. The other ponds are all above ground Box Pond and Bathtub Pond and the new little one. Those ponds are pretty much cleaned in the fall since we empty them before winter. Over the winter we will get some water back in them from rain and snow. The pump/filters for those ponds come out in the fall. So it is just a matter of moving plants from the deeper pond and those stored in the Veggie Garden back into the ponds. They are also the ponds were the Trop. WL will be put back into. Makes it easier to pull them in the fall. Usually around late April early May. The fish that we have aren't very fancy. I usually just let what I have moved to the deeper pond and pick up some new feeder gold fish for the other ponds.

I was down at my son Josh's house the other day and his pond was ice free. He has some rather large and nice fish. I could see them just hanging there not quite awake yet.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS         

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9444851

Somewhere in one of these threads, I had mentioned that my one small holding pond, which I fully admit neglecting, ended up with a few fish with ulcers. I've been working on the best process to rid them of them, so that if one of my larger fish every ended up with one, I would have the best "action" in place. Injectable antibiotics are very difficult to get your hands on.
So...I thought I'd share...should any of you end up in a similar situation.
1) Although it's expensive, a fish tranquilizer is a must! Finquel (which goes by different names) is what I used. I got a rubbermaid tubby (the ones just a bit bigger than the shoebox size) It's only takes a quarter of a teaspoon to a half of teaspoon to make the solution. I netted 2 fish at a time and dumped them in, so I could look at all of them while they were sleeping. Within just a few minutes, the fall asleep and roll over. The I could handle them, and laid them out quickly on a wet towel if they had a wound.
2) I swabbed any wound with iodine.
3) On the larger wounds, I broke open an antibiotic capsule (you can get them on ebay) and sprinkled the powder into the wound.
4) Here's the interesting part that I saw a guy write about in a fish forum... He said to lightley sprinkle the wound with Denture powder! Now I've used anotbiotic ointment...bio-bandage...etc...BUT nothing has held on to slippery fish skin like a light dusting of denture powder, sealing the antibiotic in! It makes a non-toxic gel seal over the wound. I don't know how long with will last, but even if it's for a few hours or so, it's trapping the antibiotics ON to the wound for far longer than anything else!

I'll keep you posted, but thought I'd share as I went along!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9445121

Wow Merry Mary, who would have thought? Denture powder - that is definitely a new one.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9448418

Well thats one thing we always have on hand. Denture powder.

M Mary:
Do you use neosporin or ichthammol ointment on the fish? Last time I treated one with iodine. Just held it in my hand and poured it on but I figured it wouldn't last long being put back into the water. I have never used it on fish but tempted to try it Bag Balm as it is very healing and repels water. We used to be able to get pure lanolin from Australia but haven't seen it in years. It was VERY thick and healed up cuts and sores on our rabbits feet and cows utters. Feed stores used to carry Corona ointment which is a better smelling version but still not pure lanolin. Would sure like to get some of that again. I used it on my kids and us also. Would heal a cut up overnight. If you ever see any please let me know.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with ulcers. I do appreciate your sharing advice. That could happen to any of us anytime.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9448488

[quote="BonnieGardens"]Well thats one thing we always have on hand. Denture powder.

[/quote]

Bonnie - you really make me laugh at times. Question for you - did you go to the koi show in Orlando?

MM - We had ulcer problems along time ago. Seems like when we gave them all a salt bath, that was the turning point and they started to get better. How is fishy doing?

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2013

Post #9448502

The issue is only in the really small, overly crowded, holding pond (that I also neglected) Everyone else is great, thank goodness!
Bonnie...I swab them with iodine, after I dab the wound semi dry. Then if it's a deeper ulcer, I always dab it again with Methyline Blue (which is an anti-fungal) The antibiotic ointments have not stayed on, no matter what I do. That's why I thought the antibiotic capsule sprinkled on, covered by the denture powder, was the way to go.
I completely understand about the pure lanolin!! Back in the day, in my old life, we used to use in on the killer whales skin to transport them { don't aske me what company I used to work for ;) } I haven't seen it since, and am not sure where to get some?

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2013
4:22 AM

Post #9448730

Funny thing is that I have looked for the pure lanolin too. It was such great stuff and I have not been able to find it either. If either of you come across some, please send me a link or something. I would love to have it again.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 14, 2013
5:13 AM

Post #9448769

http://www.puritan.com/health-beauty-070/pure-lanolin-070704?scid=6831&cm_mmc=Google-_-Oils_Lanolin-_-lanolin-_-Oils&cm_mmca1=Exact&9gtype=search&9gkw=lanolin&9gad=23343825751.1&9gpla=&9gag=2159206471&gclid=CPG7me-W_LUCFQuxnQodHmgAkg

Try this link! Maybe I found a place to get it??
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2013
11:18 AM

Post #9449137

MM!!! that is the stuff I was looking for - down to the product comes from sheep. I remember years ago reading that on the container I had.

Thank you, thank you!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 14, 2013
8:37 PM

Post #9449792

You're so very welcome! :)
I remember a friends mom who had dry hair, and would leave it in overnight and then wash her hair the next day...like an overnight treatment. I know you just can't injest it, but otherwise it seems to help a plethora of things!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9450356

I totally agree!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2013
4:51 AM

Post #9451026

My bus. has picked up so no pond or garden work this week. Ug!!
Carolyn, we didn't get to the koi show cause Jeff had to work. I sure wanted to go but thats life. This year they added a category for gold fish. Koi club pres. sent us the news letter with all the winners pics in it. Some really beautiful fish and some I thought were ugly. But then I'm not a judge. Mary did you go?
I'm trying to get our pool cleaned up before RU plus all the outside furniture plus finish mulching the flower beds.

First day home all week so I'm hoping to get an early start. Got a to-do list a mile long. Guess its better than being bored.
LOL

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2013
5:55 AM

Post #9451062

Bonnie, No I didn't get to go either (insert sad face here!) I've been running non-stop and haven't had time to do anything. This is my busy time of year with work, so that's about all that's getting done at this point!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9451092

That is too bad that neither one of you were able to go. I would so love to go. Perhaps at some point. I was looking to see where the nearest koi show was locally, but at this point I cannot remember where it was. Seems to me it was quite a ways away.

I just went out and checked my pond. It has a bit of ice here and there on it and it is spitting snow outside. In checking my ponding journals we generally have at least one pump up and running. DH isn't in any hurry this year to get things going. He was back in the hospital this past week - his ICD went off 15 times in about as many minutes while I was in the next town over (10-15 minute drive) spending time with my son. Funny how things happen. I had taken the day off from work because my daughter was coming in and if I had been at work that day, I would have been a good 1/2 hour away. I told him all he had to do was sit at the table and I would set everything up. I cannot help feeling that I need to learn all the ins and outs about starting things up.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 17, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9452588

You will do just fine Carolyn. Step by step. Nothing you can't handle. And it is a very satisfactory feeling to not have to wait for someone else to do stuff for you. D helped me set up my startup nursery in garage. New car is outside in the weather. He was so nice about it. I have a world class cold (after four days in Hawaii...go figure) and I never get colds. He even brought in a stool for me to sit on while I plant and such. " 'cuz I was feeling so poorly." sigh. He's a good guy. Guess I will keep him.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9452804

Oh Mary - I hope you feel better soon. I was always told the colds come with the change of season. The problem is that I am seeing nothing but winter!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9452820

MM maybe we will both get there next year. Don't work yourself into sickness.

Carolyn, I am very sorry your husb. is ill. He is more important than fish. They will wait.

Oberon, seems like everybody here is getting colds. Strange time of year to get colds but maybe cause seasons are changing.

I will pray for all of you and hope everything works out well.

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9452821

Great minds think alike
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2013
11:06 AM

Post #9458197

So! Here it is - March 22nd. Going back through my pond journals, typically we start up the pond between March 6th and March 13th. I know there was one year that it was the first week in April, but I think that may be 10 years ago now. Looks like we probably won't be able to get things going until the first week in April this year. It is too cold - as I write this, it is flurrying... :(
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

March 22, 2013
6:38 PM

Post #9458530

I've been doing a 'test run' on a pond that I want to set up permanently. It's letting me see how things work before the permanent structures go in. When it dries out later in the year I'm planning on concreting it.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 22, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9458532

Flurries here too and around 25F. But the snow is melting. Hmmm. How do you 'test run' a pond that isn't set up, well, permanently.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9458534

I was wonder that too - Tropic, how are you going to be test running a pond?
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

March 22, 2013
7:27 PM

Post #9458593

Not a simple story I suppose. You start off with ideas floating around in your head (I have a lot of empty space up there to float things around, LOL). Next thing you know, you're on an epic journey before you'd even realised it. So the "test run" started when I finally cleaned out and enlarged an existing hole in the ground. Did a very basic bit of landscaping. Wet season rains filled the hole making an instant pond. Water naturally flows in and out, it's a natural system fed by a swamp. Later in the year it'll dry out so I can then continue with the major works.

Already some people have commented on how good my pond looks. When I tell them it's a "test run" they just look at me strangely. Most of my friends have learned the only way to ever look at me is strangely, LOL.

First photo is how it's generally looking now. Second photo was just at the end of some heavy rain.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze         

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9458627

Tropic,
Beautiful area and now I see you have a natural pond. Great!!! Does the water remain in it all the time or just during rainy season. Anyway thats a beautiful location. Good luck with the test run.

Bonnie
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

March 22, 2013
8:07 PM

Post #9458649

Thanks Bonnie. The water completely disappears 2, maybe 3 months into the dry season. The soil is too porous, only the elevated wet season water table keeps water in there. It was a 'rubbish hole' for the previous owner. Said he'd only thrown tree trunks and limbs in there. When I cleaned it out there were a few 'other' things, but mainly timber. When it's dry again I'll dig it out a bit more and concrete it. I have huge and very involved complex plans for it. But it should still look much the same as it does in those photos, apart from addition of plants. Being close to the house is also a plus.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 22, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9458689

Didn't you post pictures when you were grubbing out the original dump, I mean, pond site? As I recall you really busted your, um, tail getting it cleaned out. Are those black things in the middle upper logs or some sort of plastic barrier to keep water in/out?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9458831

It is beautiful! I just love it. Cannot wait until it is concreted - will you do a thread for us with pictures when you start the concreting ?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9459272

That is going to be very nice once you have finished it so that it holds water all year long. Lovely location and back drop.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

March 24, 2013
3:35 AM

Post #9459763

Mary, you might be thinking about the thread I did a few years back on another pond. That time it was in the garden so couldn't use the tractor. Digging the hole was a simple matter of "Blood, Sweat and Tears". This time I used the tractor. Those logs at the back are out of the hole. Thought they'd make nice seats by the water. This is the old thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/967870/

Carolyn, I've got photos right from the start and will keep taking more. So I'll be able to do a pictorial account of the project.

HollyAnn, I've got a picture in my mind of how it's going to look (reality may well be different). The comments I've got from some visitors already, plus from the cyber visitors here (thank you all) have given me more encouragement. I know there'll be unforeseen hurdles to overcome. But I'm ready to tackle them as they arise. (And besides, it keeps me off the streets, and that's got to be good for everyone, LOL.)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9459850

Tropic

I remembered that thread once I had started to read it. I am glad you will do a pictatorial - they are always fun.

Holly - you and Ric work magic and can do anything. I am sure whatever you do will be beautiful!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9463096

Read your old thread. Glad I'm not the only one that gets ideas and doesn't let go. Keep on keeping on. Love that taro plant I think its beautiful.

Your surroundings remind me of Florida. We don't have the wet and dry seasons as you do but we sure have swamps.

Your new pond will be beautiful.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9463330

Bonnie, Hopefully you got some rain the other night...the storms went through here, but as hard as the rain was, it only lasted 20 minutes. The winds were horrible, but not enough rain to fill the lakes...blah...
The chilly weather here is throwing off my plants! Although several of my cannas have already bloomed, as have my walking iris, I'm afraid the extreme cold weather (cold for tropicals) may take it's toll. I have all of them in pots, all over my decks, so I can dig the new pond, so the roots don't stay as warm as they would have in the ground.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9463817

Got a good shower Sunday afternoon. Along with hail and lightening.. When I got home from church we hadn't had hail here but in Clermont town we did. Some got damage to their roofs. I hope you got your roof fixed and it didnd't damage it again.
This weather is kind of strange to say the least. I've got 2 amaryliss that are trying to bloom. Poinsettas look fine and are still blooming. Pond plants are enormous and need dividing but I'm not going into that water yet. Fish seem ok. I can't get ponds drained before the RU so it will have to wait until after. Unfortunately I only have 2 hands.

Are you going to be able to make the RU this time??? Sounds like you need a break from work.

Take care, Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9464273

Bonnie

will you be putting pictures up on the RU forums again?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9464346

Sure hope to Carolyn especially just for you. LOL I was looking at old ones from my first RU and sure is a nice memory.

Hope to make some more memories.

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9464355

M Mary--eastern bluebird is nesting in one of the houses Charlie made and its the one closest to the house. Guess its socially inclined. I worked out there within 10 feet of it today but it flew in and out and didn't panic. They are beautiful.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 27, 2013
10:07 PM

Post #9464572

I just found a breed of koi that might survive. Bred in northern Japan called Hokkaido (this is what they are called in the US) and bred by the Ainu; the indigeneous people of northern Japan. Koi is sometimes considered as a food source and were bred to survive the bitter winters. They don't go dormant in the winter like ours due to their furry seasonal coating.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2013
1:31 AM

Post #9464628

Oh Mary that is great! Let us know!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2013
1:32 AM

Post #9464629

Mary that is great! Keep us posted!

Bonnie - thank you. You know how I love pictures!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2013
3:51 AM

Post #9464656

Could I have a little more information about the round up? Do participants make requests for what they would like to have? Do you make offerings of what you could bring and people tell you what they would like? I could take hibiscis cuttings if people attending wanted them. I do have pink water lilies I'm planning on bringing.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9464780

Mittsy,
Yes usually there is a list posted for food and plants. However, this time I didn't do one cause everyone always brings such delicious food and many plants. I did put on RU forum thread that anyone wishing to list plants they would like could do so. Sorry I don't know how to link but just go to RU forum and you will find it. So glad you are coming and I'm praying for good weather as it has been crazy.
Do bring the water lillies as if nobody wants them I sure do but I know there are 3 others that have water features and they would probably appreciate them also. Just in case you get lost heres my cell no. 352-223-1611.
Looking forward to seeing you.

Bonnie
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

March 29, 2013
3:09 AM

Post #9465569

It's funny when you talk about koi here. I can't have them here, wrong climate. but years ago when I lived down south I had older neighbours who would only come out weekends. Their main residence was in the city. He was always getting these crazy ideas and running with them for a while, then losing interest.

He decided one day he'd like a pond on the place. So he roughly knocked one together which of course ended up leaking. So he used bentonite to seal it. After keeping goldfish types of fish he came across some koi. He and his wife went on to found what became the Koi Society of Australia.

Back at their main residence every bit of space became a pond, and even their swimming pool became a koi pond. I used to help them a bit from time to time (I was only just around 20 years old) but I never developed an interest in keeping koi.

So, there's a bit of trivia I'm sure EVERYone was dying to know, LOL.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2013
4:15 AM

Post #9465582

I thought it was interesting!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9466088

Very interesting...and oddly, his history sounds a lot like all of ours...crazy whim ideas, not following through, doing it again a year later, finally ending up with something, only to find out we're addicted and wish we had made our creation 14 times larger, and starting all over again! :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9466207

After my first pond really got addicted and just kept trying. I am now finished digging ponds and am quite happy with what I have. Hopefully someday I will help Merry Mary dig her pond as she works too hard and too much to have time to do it.
Hint Hint.
You WILL get that pond done M Mary I'm sure.
While cleaning up our pool I thought of you. How on earth are you going to clean out your pool when you take the fish out.
I have a trash pump if you need it. It's small but it pumped 44 thousand gals. out of mine last time I painted it. Hate to think of painting that pool again but suppose it will happen. Ug!!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2013
5:39 AM

Post #9473444

We were finally able to get our pond up and running this past Thursday. DH and I had gone a way for a couple of days and got back in the early afternoon on Thursday. It was gorgeous out. So, I pushed and he taught me how to get everything going. I am still a bit sore from the heavy work, but it was definitely worth it. Now, I just need the mornings to get out of the 30's so I can have my coffee out there...

Other than 2003, this is the latest we have started up the pond. I am hoping we are on schedule with everything else though. I still need to deal with my waterlilies and vacuum the pond.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9473518

Carolyn so glad you got your pond up and running as I know you enjoy it.

I won't get mine cleaned until after the RU but fish are happy and nobody seems to be sick right now. Thank heavens.
Beautiful outside so better get out there and working.

Bonnie

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 6, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9473559

I think we will be starting up the main pump the middle or third week of April. The pond is (at least during the day) ice free and the surrounds are almost clear. The falls path needs to get clear of snow and that is always last. With a little help from me. :) We don't want winter debris in the path of the falls to wash into the pond so I need to get that cleaned up some. The winter was bad so I will be buying some fish to replace all my gold fish. Koi never made it through last winter. Water Celery is growing next to the rock as well (I think) as the blue betony. Plants arrive from TWL May 1.

OH, the new koi I found? I hate to say it but my daughter suggested I make those comments. Come on guys... furry coats for fish? ROTFL. Twas a joke. I just now realized I got two responses. I feel badly now because you really cared that I found fish that would live here all winter. Don't I wish.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2013
11:39 AM

Post #9473757

Mary - too bad you can't cross the koi with that water celery!!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 6, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9473900

LOL. Oh that is so good. I agree. Or cross bearded iris and so many others with the celery.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 7, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9475203

My water iris are beginning to bloom, and they're only in holding tubbies! What troopers!

Thumbnail by MerryMary

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 7, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9475210

Does anyone remember the name of this canna? It's either Lucifer or Rosemond Cole...I have it growing in water and love the bright red color with the yellow edges.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2013
1:27 AM

Post #9475487

Beatiful MM. I don't know the names of any of them, but I really love the colors.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2013
3:57 AM

Post #9475534

Never saw a canna that color. Beautiful.

MM, are you going to be able to come Sat. to RU??? Would love to see you again.

Bonnie
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2013
4:35 AM

Post #9475561

MM, Very pretty, just love that water iris. I have my bird bath back up and running again and the fish are waking up. Still a bit cold to set up the other above ground ponds and pull the plants out of the bottom of the birdbath but it won't be long. We tiled the well part of the birdbath pond last year but because of the plants growing around the back we didn't quite finish it all so we will be doing that and the grout very soon. I will post pics when it is done.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 8, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9475803

Bonnie, no sadly I will not be able to come to the round up...I'm going to make it someday!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2013
3:46 AM

Post #9477036

My DH and I are coming. Still haven't decided what food I'll bring. I've potted up some of everything , so I'll have a selection to offer. I'm really looking forward to this RU. It will be lovely to put a face to a name.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9478193

I didn't even know I had white water iris...found this one blooming in the holding pot this morning...

Thumbnail by MerryMary

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2013
2:49 AM

Post #9478443

MM, Will miss you but I can only hope someday you'll make it.

Beautiful iris.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9481879

Looking forward to meeting Mittsy but she may be sad to see the water lilly she sent me. It does have some little leaves on it so I'm thinking its alive.

Bonnie
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2013
2:55 AM

Post #9482138

Then it is looking like the ones that I am bringing. Like a little kid, I am so excited to meet you all.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2013
5:52 AM

Post #9482216

Bonnie - can you please let us know when the pictures are up on the RU forum? I can't wait to see them. I wish I was going!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9483079

Carolyn, I never got a chance to take 1 pic. BUT I asked Sherii and she will post them in RU forum soon I think. I can't wait to see them.

Mittsy made me feel so good to learn lillies wern't dead just sleeping plus she brought 3 more. I certainly will try to keep them living. Mittsy you saw the base of the fountain they are in. I would like to find a solar pump small enough to fit down inside and put the 2 top pieces back together but still have lillies in the large bowl. Water would just trickle down slowly into large bowl and then recirculate. Is that too much movement for the lillies or could they live in it still? So far every solar pump I find is too large to go down inside of it so might just put it back tog. and use it the way it is. If still water is better for the lillies I won't make it re-circulate. Not enough sun I'm told in the larger pond and the smaller one has waterfall movement too. They can stay in the fountain bowl if they will do better there.

OK I've had a busy day and it started at 3:30AM so I'm headed for bed.

After church I'll be filling pots for a ton of seeds to plant plus all the leftover plants still here. Got to give them a home.

Bonnie
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2013
3:50 AM

Post #9483242

Bonnie, Those waterlilies need 4 to 6 hours of sun a day and deeper water to thrive. They need to be potted up in heavy soil or sand. My pond is 3 1/2 feet deep with a fountain spray so I have movement. I fertilize them with pond tabs fromm Home Depot. We had a great time yesterday. Only a little over and hour and a half from Cocoa Beach to your door. Thank you to everyone that brought or donated plants and cuttings. I have potted up everything and was just as pleased as can be with all my new babies. I'll be posting pictures when I get back from church. A big thank you to Erin and Tarzie for bringing the aeroponic tower. We'll be ordering one as soon as we're year round Floridians. Jack says to say thank you for the chocolate chip cookie cake and to remind you to post the recipe. The food was fabulous. Everything was delicious. So sorry that some of you couldn't make it to the RU, and I hope we could do it again in the fall. We'd love to host one if you would come to Cocoa Beach.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9483856

Mittsy,
They do get more than 4 hrs. sun where they are in fountain base but after I clean out both ponds which is comingup shortly I will see to it they are potted, fetilized and put down into pond. Water depth should be just to top of pot right?

I was tired but after church I immediately filled pots and planted all those cuttings Melanie (locoluna) brought as some of those plants I have wanted for a long time but just never found them in nurseries. If they all grow I will be very happy and if they don't I can say I tried but it died.

I hope no one went home hungry as we had plenty left over and I farmed it out here and there. Don't waste plants or food thats my motto.

If you host a RU in Cocoa you can bet I'd be there. I was raised in Conn. and then grown all our homes were in RI. just across the Pawcatuck River about 20 mins. from the ocean so I love the ocean no matter where it is. Can't beat NE lobster.

Thanks for coming and hope to see you all again when I can sit down and visit a little more.

Bonnie
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2013
1:30 AM

Post #9484320

My plants probably have 12" to 24" of water above the pots.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2013
5:44 PM

Post #9485290

I was looking at the RU photos. Looks like everyone had so much fun. Bonnie - you put on quite a party - I have to get down there to your next one!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9488586

Thanks Mittsy for the info.

Carolyn, you sure are welcomed to come. I'm hoping when you retire you get closer to our RU folks. You would enjoy everyone plus all the plants.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9488787

Count on it Bonnie. It would be so much fun. I'll give you a hand with the work too!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 18, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9488824

I would love to fly down next year and participate. And as with Carolyn, I would be more than happy to pitch in on the work details. It would be great.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9488830

It would be so much fun - why do I think we wouldn't want to go home? I can see us sitting and gabbing the next morning with our coffees, can't you?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 18, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9488908

Oh yes. Absolutely. Maybe a couple of mornings... :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9488913

Definitely!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9489071

Now that sounds like a GREAT plan. I just bought a new coffee maker for visitors. I don't drink coffee and don't know how to make it but I'm sure you gals can show me how.

Remember closest airport is McCoy in Orlando. Otherwise known as Orlando Int'l Airport. I know the way there very well.

Don't sweat the work. We are going to be too busy running around so you see the state while you are here.

I am only about 3/4 of hr. away from the rat if you want to see Disney. I never go but would if you wanted to. I have been down for Epcots flower show a couple of times when it first starts before it gets too hot. I think it runs from March to May if I remember right. I don't go there when its burning hot cause I get too grouchy in th heat. China of course has a koi pond. Not deep but pretty.

OK just let me know when your flight is coming in. Don't choose a hot month cause I don't think you would enjoy our summer heat which we already have .

Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 18, 2013

Post #9489103

I guess I was thinking when you have your round up, or attend one nearby. Was thinking that Carolyn was thinking the same thing. So that would be in April -- first part???
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
4:40 AM

Post #9489306

They are held all different months actually. April is hot enough for me. I like the fall ones better. First one I had in Oct. 2011 weather was really perfect. I just go wherever they are but don't usually travel over 3 hrs. as that would require an overnight stay at a motel and thats too expensive for a RU for me.

Have a good weekend!!

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9489863

No - I have already done Epcott. I liked it, but twice is enough for me. Any time of year is good for me too - I love Florida heat, but I know that is me. ^_^
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
3:48 PM

Post #9489962

My son signs me in or I would probably never go. Their rates have gone up again and they are ridiculous I think.

Anyhow, there is more to Fl. than Disney.

Got to go feed the fish. BTW, Carolyn is it Microblift PL that some use for spring start up of ponds. Mine really needs cleaning and I like to drain them completely and pressure wash everything. Just hate being bothered taking all the fish out as this year we have more than ever. Got to think that one over. I usually use Proform-C but have heard its not as good as its touted to be.

Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 19, 2013
4:46 PM

Post #9490022

My pond is ice free and absolutely YUKKKKYYY. Ish.. No fish in it so that makes cleaning it easier. i think I will pump out most of the water, clean out the mess (hmmm, I have a pressure washer to. Good idea.) Been adding PL to it but guess that was a waste as it will be pumped away. A little more snow and ice to melt from the falls. Don't want to start up the big pump to the biowell as it would fill it with gunk.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9490045

Bonnie

It is the Microbe Lift Spring start up that gets things cleaned up. Seems to get the crud out of the pond and gets the water cleaned up.

Mary - No fish survived your winter this year?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 19, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9490121

Nope. Even the gold fish died.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9490160

oh... that really stinks. Why do you think? I thought in previous years that you at least had some fish make it through the winter?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 19, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9490178

Oh yes. All the gold fish made it okay. No clue what happened. I keep coming back to lack of oxygen. I will get some new goldfish and this winter use the aerator, but NOT pump it directly into the caves where they hide. Although it didn't seem to bother the goldfish last year but did in the koi, or so I speculate. Not a big deal. Gotten used to it./
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9490649

Ordered the microblift pl this morning. Now all I need is some good bacteria for when I pump all water out.

I'm struggling with the pool cleanup also. My husb. has always wanted to drain it and fill with dirt and make a giant planter.
My son wants to fill it with koi but don't see how pool filter could possibly keep it clean with fish poop in it.

Geez Oberon you have the worst luck with fish. I sure hope someday you figure out whats causing the fish deaths. For a while 2 summers ago I htought I'd never get fish to live but so far they are all doing fine now. Knock on wood. I would like to add aeration during our hot summers but DH has a fit when the electric bill comes in now. They were all in pond last July and did fine. Oak tree over it I'm sure helps a lot even tho leaves are a real pain in the neck. We are brainstorming a way to keep them away from the skimmer which it cloggs up very fast. They just pile up against the front very fast and I dip them out twice a day. We will come up with something I'm sure. I bought bird netting but it lets the leaves fall through.
Always something to figure out and remedy.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9490668

Bonnie

If you have the extra filtration, it should be able to keep up with the fish poop. I know the larger the fish get, the more fish poop becomes a problem. Have you looked at any of the diffusers? We do turn on a diffuser when the water temps are over 80 degrees or when we are going out of town.

I would think you would either be able to find a net with smaller holes or as you are doing now, just continue to skim more often when the tree sheds it's leaves. I have a Kwanzen cherry growing next to my pond, so when the blooms shed and when the leaves shed, I have to skim a couple of times a day. Last fall when DH was in the hospital, I had to shut down the main falls with the skimmer because I was back and forth to the hospital so much and just didn't have time to do the skimming until I got home. I did have leaves in the bottom of the pond, but was able to ultimately get them out when he did finally come home.

Electric bills? Ugh - don't get me started. I have a dream of starting my own utilities, just to get even with these companies!

Mary - there are gadgets you can buy that will test oxygen levels. I do think they are rather expensive, but it may be worth the investment to figure out what is going on during the winter in your pond. I got the impression that this past winter for you was milder than it was for us. I have no casualties this year, however I do have one that looks to have some red streaking in one of his fins and then another that appears to have some fungus. I am treating with an antibiotic food - we will see if that does that trick.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 20, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9490712

I am glad to hear everyone down south has come through unscathed. Last year was a real trauma for many.

It looks like we may be moving in the years to come when Damien retires. Further North if you can believe that. We both come from Fairbanks, land of -50 and ice fog. A pond would be pretty much out of the question. But summers are hotter and my MIL's house sits on a fair piece of ground with full sun so gardening would be great. Well, except being a zone 3 many things I grow here would not grow there. Peonies would be okay I believe but not sure about lilies. Anyway. I continue to shovel snow off the beds where I can. I checked my list of growth times and the snow has been here longer as I have not seen hide nor hair of plants that were greening up this time last year. Guess I need to shovel faster.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 20, 2013
11:03 AM

Post #9490841

It's kind of nuts but the pond, while full of algae, including the stringy stuff has all but crystal clear water. Maybe I will just pump out a little better than half and then give the rocks a good power wash and scrub all else. Need to get some Algaway and more PL to balance new pond water and get the biowell churning. I really need to get the pump going so I can add the cold weather bacteria up to the biowell but need the cleaning first. Will be standing in snow to do it but still needs to be done. With the hours D is working it looks like I will be doing it by myself. I can get the pump going to drain the pond, and guess I can drag the pressure washer out there. I have used that before. The difficulty, only just a pain really, is hauling all that equipment over the snow trail. Tough to walk on or IN it without balancing stuff. Ought to give the neighbors a good laugh.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9490995

Mary - didn't Chocolatemoose have lilies? I think she grew them in pots inside and then put them outside in the summer. Not sure what part of Alaska she was in - do you remember?

You might not be able to have the pond, but perhaps a small container garden with a waterlily? When will Damien be looking at retiring?

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 20, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9491241

Yes, Chocolatemoose has lilies. They would probably grow right up next to the house on a south side. She lived in North Pole (no lie) about 8 miles or so southeast of Fairbanks. And they are even colder than Fairbanks. And yes, Damien and I could now build on our own a little pond with a nice little trickle down path as the property slopes down nicely to the river. We will have to make sure that it is moose proofed and my gardens would have to be beaver proofed. And now my MIL says she has seen a wolf around there. I'm not sure I buy that. Eielson AFB (12 miles further down the road) is scheduled to close down. That only leaves Ft. Wainwright (army post) to support Fairbanks, plus tourists. It's dead now, can't imagine what it will be like then. Good thing we have a condo here in Anchorage to escape to for shopping and night life. Yeah, like D and I are big partiers. NOT!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9491243

Mary,
Can't even imagine living in that climate. My husb. would go beserk. He is a hothouse flower and below 70 here is too low for him.
Can't feature having a pond there. Just seems unreal but guess its all in what you are used to. When I was young in Connecticut never paid any attention to the cold and snow but I sure would now after being here 45 years. Snow is pretty coming down if it just wouldnt stay on the ground. On rare occasions it has snowed here and everybody runs for their cameras except me. I remember it well.

My best friend went to Alaska one year and she said it was jut beautiful. She was there during the summer and wore a lightweight jacket all the time. She was born and raised in Fl.

OK all getting time to hit the sack. Hope your all having a good weekend. Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 20, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9491244

We are and wish the same for you, Carolyn, MM, et.al. :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2013
4:59 AM

Post #9491552

Mary - I thought Chocolatemoose was at the North Pole, but wasn't postive.

I also did not know they were closing down the AFB. Ft Drum isn't that far from us ( 3 1/2 hours) and they keep expanding. My inlaws are hoping they can sell their house with the expansion of Ft Drum.

Bonnie - I am with your hubby - anything below 68 degrees and I am cold. My mother always told me when my children were small to take one more layer of clothing off of them when I was dressing them than what I was wearing, because I have always been cold. Funny thing.

The fish were quite active yesterday. I wish the weather would warm up so I can sit out there. It seems this spring has been so slow and cold. I did notice that all of a sudden my bog plants are coming though.

DH and I still need to deal with the waterlilies. He has a new idea on how to handle them. I will let you know how that goes. I still think it would just be easier to lower the level of the pond, get in and fertilize them myself. He is afraid that I would not be able to get out. Apparently those that have been in the pond have had difficulties in getting out... we will see...
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9491997

Mary...if you don't have anything living in your pond, as of now, you can use potassium permaganate in your pond to kill all algaes. It literally cleans everything out of your pond (so if you have water plantings it will also kill those, so lift them out if they're in pots) It will kill all bacterias, funguses, diseases, algaes, etc. If you run your filter afterward, it will clear out your pond and leave you with sparkling clear water several days later, all the way to the bottom. But then, you'll have to restart your bio-filter before you can add fish again.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 21, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9492156

You know, that is a great idea. I reduced my pots in the pond for storage to 2, then I pull them up and replant then separately. Dusty at TWL is sending my order May 7th. Will still be a little early for ambient temp and water temp but I can hold them another two weeks. Since I am leaving June 2 I need everything in the ground or pond by the 30th or so. I won't be back til June 11. I will see where I can get the PP locally now and if not I will order it.

So should I start up the biowell so it pumps the stuff through the entire system, including the other UV filter ? Should I turn off the UV. Guess that wouldn't matter as this is a chemical not a living thing. So pump it through for a day or so? Then vacuum which pulls water from the pond. Opps. What about where that water goes. If it goes into the ground or into a storm drain what will it do to the bugs in the treatment plants where the water ends up? Then replace water pumped out and restart the whole thing. What about any of the PP left in the pond? Unless I have to pump out the entire pond which of course wouldn't get it all out. It would be in the rocks and the little gravel that is left. Oh, and do you have a ratio of PP to water that is needed?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9492493

Whew...lol...let me try to answer most of your questions...
If you have an ebay account, you can get PP...some pool supply companies carry it...oddly our grocery stores carry it in their pool section...
Although it is a chemical, it isn't like chlorine, it oxidizes things to an extreme. Turn everything off in your pond, since it currently has no inhabitants. Remonve plants you don't want killed. Put the PP in, it will turn the water purple/pink...you have enough in there (and I'll try to look up the dosage per gallon) when it stays that color for 6-8 hours... Do not touch it or breathe it in, being a powder.
The color of the water will start to fade to brownish the next day. That's everything dying...disease, aglae, everything! You will need to start filtering your water just to remove some of the dead junk. PP will help decay the leaves and things that fell to the bottom. It's always better to scoop out everything you can before your start a PP treatment. Any organic matter will slow down the process, and if you have tons of organic matter, you may have to do a 2nd treatment.
Make sure you turn off your UV filter!
Your water will begin to get crystal clear, clean your filter often, and let it process through over and over...
Now you have a sterile pond, no algae, no disease, perfectly clear water...but remember, it is now DEAD water...so before adding fish again, you MUST re-establish your bio-filter or biology of some sort. There are several products you can order, to kick start the biology of your pond. It's the whole story of nitrites/ nitrates, healthy bacterias, and no ammonia, etc...
This all seems very intense, but it's really very easy to do...
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9492507

http://www.pondpetsusa.com/medications/potassium_permanganate.html

Read this one, it's easy to understand... Note, this is for a pond with fish, so you don't have to be as cautious in a pond with no fish where you're trying to kill everything and start anew...
1 teaspoon per 1,000 gallons, so purchase a SMALL amount! It's very cheap, and unless your pond is huge, your treatment will probably be under $10.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2013
7:14 PM

Post #9492518

Oh, and about the storm drain...you don't have to drain your pond...because it's an oxidizer, when it's gone it's gone, it does not remain in the water...it just sort of evaporates away. In fact, if you ever need to stop it on a dime, you pour a bottle of peroxide in the water, and it shuts down the entire PP process.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

April 21, 2013
9:47 PM

Post #9492661

I have been lurking and learning a lot. Thanks everyone.

Carolyn, I am 70 years old. If I got in my KOI pond, I would not be able to get out.

Keep up the information flowing. Sharon
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 21, 2013
10:00 PM

Post #9492680

Thank you for all the information. I will follow it to the letter. I was relieved to know that it ceases its process on its own. I will let you know how it goes.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 21, 2013
10:00 PM

Post #9492681

I am "only" 66 but in the same boat.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9493639

Sharon - I am 55 and I have have problems keeping up with my inlaws in their early 80's. ^_^
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

April 22, 2013
9:11 PM

Post #9493966

Well good and God bless them. I can walk 20 miles. I just have a problem getting up on something or out of something. Really frustrating but I go with what I have. I just have a hard plastic step stool I use in the garden. And a nice wood one I use in the house.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 22, 2013
9:29 PM

Post #9493975

Same with me. I can walk forever at quite a good clip. But the up and down business is a challenge. And I can shovel snow til the cows come home, and indeed, am doing so. I have one garden bed almost uncovered completely and just dug through the snowbank to the front of the other. It is getting warm here so what I pull from the snowbank and toss onto the drive (from whence it came all winter) it melts pretty fast.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

April 22, 2013
9:38 PM

Post #9493980

I also use a cross country ski pole to maintain my balance in some of my beds. The majority of my front landscape is raised bed. These beds are made from very large, 1/2 small car size. boulders. Majority of boulder is underground. So when I get in, sometimes I cannot get out. Before I got smart and got my pole, one afternoon I looked around to make sure no one was close by and actually rolled out of the bed because I knew if I tried to walk out, I would fall. Now, I do not get myself in those kind of situations. I get a little smarter every year.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2013
4:39 AM

Post #9494112

You girls are making me so thankful. I'll be 76 in Dec. and have learned to love power naps in the afternoon but some days I work from dawn to dusk outside. As we age balance seems to become an issue. I have fallen a few times but just roll over and get up. I need to stop leaving the garden hoses in walking paths. Duh

I'm working at geting my pool cleaned up so I can do a few laps in there every day. It feels good after sweating from garden work. It has been near 90 here already so we may be in for a very hot summer which isn't unusual. I just hope we get some rains. Our lake levels are very low and that isn't good. Merry Mary isn't far from me and you have heard her say they couldn't get their boat out of their lake. Our canal is still 3 ft. low and that provides my irrigation system so I would really like to get more rain. Watering by hose and from our well is not good plus it takes me almost 4 hrs.

Hearing Oberon talking about shoveling snow sounds weird now but I can remember doing it many years ago.

Hope everyone is experiencing some spring weather up north.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 23, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9494316

Ah, but I go out every day and skim algae from my pond. It is all clear of snow for about 6' one direction up a little hill and about 6" on the east side. Sun melts the other side off more quickly. All deicers are out, falls are almost clear. This weekend D promised to take Sunday off and help me clean the pond dump in the PP, fire up the big pumps (won't turn on the UV's.) Until then I continue to shovel snow from the beds out front. Weird for sure.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9494870

Mary - when does it usually warm up enough that you don't have to shovel anymore?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 23, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9494886

Well, when my gardens are clear of snow, those that need shoveling out front I stop. There can still be a foot of snow on the lawn. On April 25th last year the backyard was clear of snow, things were growing. Only a few clumps of snow in the shade. Right now I have about 10-12" of snow over the backyard except for the little hills by the pond, one of which owes judicious careful shoveling from me to being almost snow free. The slush that fell today has dissolved into a rain that, oh, it is stopped now. I should go try to shovel some more on the kidney. I will post some pics.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 23, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9494925

Well, here tis 'hot' off the camera. the first two are of the bed along the sidewalk, the next three are of the area in front of the kidney shaped bed under the snow. You can just see that I have dug back to the brick outline in the front of the bed.

Oh piffle. I wonder why the order gets shuffled. 1) is sidelong toward the kidney bed along the driveway 2) is shot from front door to bed along sidewalk 3) is another side shot of the kidney bed 4) is sidewalk bed from the other end, and 4) is where you can see the brick front of the kidney along the driveway

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 23, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9494928

and less you feel too sorry for me, here is a little bed (only 2x3) snugged up against the house in the front. I have to pitch snow ON it to keep the plants protected as the snow doesn't pile up there. And there are my dowdeswell delphiniums coming up.

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9495864

Ugh! Mary, you have so much more snow than I thought. You are such a snow bunny - I am not.

I hope your delphs do well. I have tried them several times. We get such hard driving winds here, they just get so beaten to death. When I move down south, I will try them again. I will have them growing in front of my camelias ^_^.

Bonnie and I will be sitting at her picnic table (or mine), waving at your plane as you jet back and forth to Hawaii to see your son and back. You will have to detour to see us!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 24, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9495918

That will be quite a detour from Alaska to Florida to Hawaii. lol. I LOVE camelias. They smell so heavenly and look so heavenly. I carried them at my first wedding. Still have a boutinnere (sp) somewhere. A little dessicated after 46 years. The PP went into the pond this morning after I pulled my lily pots out. OH, as I was pulling up the second pot up floated yet another dead gold fish. So I guess there is nothing left for the PP to kill in the way of fish.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2013
5:22 PM

Post #9496011

Oh, Mary. Poor thing. I wonder what killed them all. I am sorry.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 24, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9496088

If I had to guess I would say lack of oxygen. As they get bigger, those are the ones who die and they were all getting fairly large, at least in my pond. I will buy more this summer as soon as I can and this fall put the aerator back in the pond, but just to circulate around, not hoses stuck in their caves. I guess I am rather persistent. I just can't believe it can't be done. I must go visit my friend across town and see how his pond is doing. he had some fairly good size koi two years ago. I am potting up a shipment of dahlias I just received today and have the lily tubers in a tub in the garage. They are sending green shoots, tiny but green. Also potting up seed potatoes. When they sprout I will move them to the big tubs for the summer. I was using a 10-10-10 on the dahlias but I think I should change to something like 5-10-10 now that they are really growing. About four more weeks before they can go outside. At that it will be a little early.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9496558

Wow! Sounds like you're really clipping along!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 25, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9496733

Well, when the pond is only one half of the garden (in effort, not size) it gives a bit of relief from the failed efforts to focus on the other stuff that seems to respond more consistently. Although vegie gardening is somewhat new for me. I tried before but just fed worms and slugs Now I have raised beds which will solve that problem (I hope) and with tops will provide more warmth. Always up for a puzzling challenge.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 25, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9496858

How we moved to Ponds 2013 II

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1309195/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America