Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Baby roach?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ajmarks
Corpus Christi, TX

January 14, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9384446

I can't for the life of me figure out what these are! I have found some FROZEN inside my freezer and squished some crawling on the insulation of the fridge and freezer. I have found a couple in my bathroom, on the floor near where the tile meets the bathtub. Last night however, I happened to go into my kitchen after already having turned lights off for the night and saw probably 10 scatter across the middle of the floor when I turned the light on! I also found two LARGE roaches last night, but neither were near the location of these bugs in the kitchen. My apartment complex sprayed for roaches about a month ago and I feel like these have been around since then.

The picture is one I caught using a trap of water and dishsoap in a shallow plate with a blackberry in the middle. It is the only one I caught :(

The bugs are tear drop shaped with two long antenae. Their back end is striped and the front part has a brown/tan color. The pic shows little pincher looking things at the tail end but these aren't really visible when you just look at them. They obviously have legs, but they don't stick out so you can see them when they walk which makes me think it isn't a tick.

ANY GUESSES???

Thumbnail by ajmarks
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9384476

It certainly looks like a juvenile German Cockroach. Scroll down this link for a picture.

http://www.epestsupply.com/cockroaches.php#.UPQg3HeM8ug
ajmarks
Corpus Christi, TX

January 14, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9384586

I should mention these are VERY tiny. Like the size of a ballpoint pen tip when extended. But yes- it looks like it very well might be baby German cockroaches. *Shudder*

My exterminator can't come out until next monday...anything I should do in the meantime?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9384607

Hi AJ. We have to be ever vigilant down South when it comes to roaches. When your exterminator does come out, have them pay special attention to the kitchen and bathroom. Areas under the sinks are common sources for roaches to enter and breed. Make sure he gets areas behind/under the fridge and stove and also around the plumbing in both bathroom and kitchen, and also in pantries. Not a bad idea to have them spray cracks and crevices around windows and doors also.

Additionally, we use a boric acid product called RoachPruf. You can usually find it at the Big Box stores or hardware/gardening centers.we use the caps from milk jugs, washed and dried, and just add the powder, slide under the fridge and stove, washer and dryer, hot water heater and tucked in the back corner of cabinets under sinks. We had our house treated before we moved in 11 years ago, and have used the RoachPruf ever since...replacing the powder every 3 months...not a single German of American cockroach, only an occasional palmetto bug that stumbles under the door...and the cats usually catch those...grin.

As for size, the egg case for the German cockroach is about 1/4 inch or so, so yes, the newly hatched bugs are very small as there can be quite a few per egg case.

Hope this helps...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America