Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Insect and Spider Identification: Unknown invertebrate eggs, Cyprus

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ViolaMike
Polis
Cyprus

January 14, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9384540

I found these dark brown eggs in several groups, on both sides of leaves of Citrus, in May 2012.
One group was on a stone wall.
They are ~ 0.8mm long. They have a translucent membranous flap at the end.

I know they are not:
- citrus leaf miner (Phyllocnistis citrella) because that moth lays its eggs singly,
- citrus shield bug (Rhynchocoris humeralis) because they are the wrong shape

I suppose I am not 100% sure they are eggs; they could be communal pupae, perhaps.

Any clues appreciated!
Mike

Thumbnail by ViolaMike
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9388012

Still looking Mike...haven't run across anything similar yet...
ViolaMike
Polis
Cyprus

January 21, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9392655

Thanks themoonhowl - nice to know somebody's trying to help me on this!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9392848

Hi Mike... I have been trying to determine if it might be citrus blackflies...the "cases" look to be in a sort of spiral formation and your pic is a wonderful extreme closeup...I am having a hard time finding one that clear to match it against.

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/crops_livestock/crops/citrus/Insects that attack citrus in Louisiana.htm
ViolaMike
Polis
Cyprus

March 16, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9451557

themoonhowl,

Thanks for your thoughts.
Sorry for my belated reply. I thought the system would email me whenever there was an update to one of my postings, but apparently not.

That link is broken now, but I have done some more Googling and I see what you mean.
But I think the eggs are too different for it to be that species (Aleurocanthus woglumi ). However, I note some other species of Aleurocanthus lay their eggs more like mine, so maybe... However, I have found no exact match:(
I also have a feeling it may be within the Hemiptera (where the eggs are variable but often have a 'cap' somewhat like mine), but again I can't find an exact match.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9451635

Hi Mike...

that is the problem I have run into...no clearly definitive image...I see some things, but on closer inspection there is no clear match. We may have to wait til May again and see if they return.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America