Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

January 14, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9384599

Well we just have had a week of freezes and that has wiped out my coral vines. Has anyone gotten cuttings from cv to root? I just love them. I don't think the white ones could take the cold I get in the winter. I didn't see any this yeas just red and pink. I have new seeds to start. I think I am going to have to keep them in a pot so I can bring them inside for the winter.
Mickey
Arizona
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
10:43 AM

Post #9384705

Mickey, what is your zzone?
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 14, 2013
12:54 PM

Post #9384856

I looked up Cave Creek and it lists you as 9b, thats warmer than here in Arlington and my orange vine does just fine. We got some pretty cold weather last winter and the two I have came through.
C
txaggiegal
Belton, TX

January 15, 2013
2:02 PM

Post #9386279

Mickey, I am betting they have gone dormant...they do here in central Texas...I don't cut them down, just trim up the youngest branches and leave anything over pencil-size...they bud right back up by the end of February..

However, the white one is a bit pickier for me...if it gets too dry, or too much wind, or, or, or...I usually collect seed for that one and treat it as an annual...despite the USDA that lists it as cold-tolerant for zone 8b.

Good luck!
Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9387655

txaggiegal, I hope you can help me. I tried 10 of the Red seeds last year both in and outdoors, with out any luck. This year I got 20 more but from a different supplyer. Any advice on getting them to sprout? Thank You
txaggiegal
Belton, TX

January 17, 2013
5:15 AM

Post #9387903

For that small amount, I would use dampened paper towel in an old container. I save the 'take-out containers, especially the ones with the clear plastic tops. Soak the seeds for 24 hours or at least overnight in tepid/warm water. After soaking, I place 2 papertowels in the bottom of the container, seeds and some of water with it, on top...cover it will another papertowel and ensure the towels are damp. Close and place in a dark area like a back cabinet. Check about every 3 days or so for sprouting...when sprouted, I move to a growing pot...

Simple and recycling... .
Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2013
11:24 AM

Post #9388265

Thanks, tx
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

February 7, 2013
5:31 PM

Post #9411559

I used the paper towel in a baggie too to start the seeds. I think it will take a year then for them to bloom. I just bought more seeds and I have a ton of my own. I just love them. I still think you are better off buying them. I got my plants from Almost Eden. They have pink,red, and white. I think my white must have dies last year so I son't want to have to wait another year for white flowers.
Boy can these suckers grow! Mine grew way up into the palo verde trees. It looked pretty cool.
We had very cold weather so it will be interesting how they will look this coming summer.
Mickey
PS I think I may get a little colder than 9b, we are at 2200 feet but we are out in the desert with nothing around us. Everything is out in the open.
Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

February 12, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9417304

Coral vines look very interesting (I had to search the plant files, I have never seen one.) Says invasive in Florida, is it a problem in North Texas?
MickeyAz
Cave Creek, AZ

October 12, 2013
8:18 PM

Post #9684616

My coral vines are just beautiful this year!!! My white ones died this past fall, but my red and pink are just growing. I first saw them in Asia and fell in love with them. I was thrilled to see that they grow and do great with our horrible heat and cold in the winter. I also put a lot of mulch over the roots to protect them for the winter.
Red vines are much fatter than the pink or white.
What time of the year did someone try to root cuttings?
Mickey
sweetmommy
Fulshear, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9685660

Mine have finally taken off on my fence but it took two seasons. Don't give up!!
TexasDollie
Windcrest, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9685769

Gypsi, I don't think they'd be invasive there where you are...unless you water around them a ton. Florida (at least where we lived on Elgin, AFB) got rain almost every day during some parts of the year, which helps weather those seeds better.

We're down here east of San Antonio now, and I have three vines going now...one I started from seed, one that was already here, and one I dug up and transplanted. I've got tons of seed if you want any...the pink ones.

With regard to seed: I sprouted mine by sanding off the points on an emery board, soaking them overnight, and then kepting them in moist soil in mostly shade until they sprouted. Left the pot in mostly shade, but as the calendar went 'round, the shade decreased on that side of the house, so it naturally got more sun as plants grew hardier.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2013
7:48 PM

Post #9687680

Houston and south Texas nights are warmer, greener more humid areas than the deserts in Az, I've never heard of the white corals being hardy. They can be invasive, like mesquite, they just get hacked down when they are

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9687696

TexasDollie

Beautiful, I've never grown these.

I would be happy to send payment and postage for a few seeds. I'm looking for plants that will grow in my area. I'm still trying to find plants for my zone, 9a. just pm me

Janet
chuck7701
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9688028

Coral vines do better each year as the root tubers in the ground accumulate and grow larger. When transplanting established plants it is important to get as many as possible still attached to the roots. The tubers are 3-6 inches below and away from the root ball. I've dug up some in my mom's yard that have been there for years and the mass of tubers is quite large up to 1-2 lbs. First year seed starts may disappoint you with only a few blooms, but after that...

They will freeze back to the ground in cold winter areas, or at least go dormant in cooler weather. I cut the stalks down to a few inches above the ground so I know where they are. Never had experience with the white ones, just the pink. They are a bee magnet, and can be invasive over time. I believe the fallen seeds need to overwinter on or in the ground to sprout, perhaps longer than a year.

One of my favorite vines, delicate and airy with a profusion of blooms all summer and fall. These are first year transplants, would do better if not on the shady side of the fence.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America