Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 7, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Daniel21

January 14, 2013
10:46 AM

Post #9384708

Pic number one that rapture or whatever it is,is getting bigger.
Pic number two all the leaves begin to show similar problems.
Pic number three the leaves are starting to curl up in weird forms.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 10:48 AM

Thumbnail by Daniel21   Thumbnail by Daniel21   Thumbnail by Daniel21
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9385075

Hi Daniel. Right off hand my first thought is an issue with watering. Too wet or too dry are both detrimental to the plant's health and so is irregular watering. here is some info about Dieffenbachia leaf curl problems. Additionally, too much fertilizer can cause leaves to curl and yellow and a lack of humidity can cause leaf tips to brown.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Plant-Diseases-715/2008/3/Dieffenbachia-leaf-curling.htm

General care

http://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/dumb-cane.html
Daniel21

January 15, 2013
1:03 AM

Post #9385506

Hi and thank you,I did not use any fertilizer,just been using some egg shells water for about 1week now,but these problems were before I did this.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9385677

You are very welcome Daniel. I do think it may be humidity/water related. Make sure that the container is draining well and always do a "finger test" before watering . Poke your finger down into the soil as far as it will go...if you feel moisture, wait a day or two and check again...if it is dry, water the plant. Make sure that the plant does not sit in the drained water.
If the plant is too close to a cold window, or sitting in a drafty area, that can cause problems, and also if it is sitting where a heater vent blows. Sudden changes in light and temperature can also cause problems. If the house is kept warm, there may be a lack of humidity. two things you can do are to mist the plant with a spray bottle each morning, or set the container on a tray with pebbles so the water drains into the tray, away from the roots, but slowly evaporates around the plant to raise humidity.

House plants do well with a little fertilizer to replace nutrients. For Dieffenbachias, a general purpose houseplant fertilizer mixed at 1/2 strength and applied once a month is usually enough to keep the plant healthy. Always remember to soak the plant thoroughly when you water and then allow it become almost dry before watering again.
Daniel21

January 15, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9385711

I know the trick with the finger test and stuff to water it,but sometimes it's kinda dry every 2 or 3 days,is it normal to water it every2-3 days?and it stays near the window and I open that window daily.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9385716

If it's dry after 2-3 days then there are a few possibilities...it could be that the plant is getting rootbound, or maybe you have potting mix that drains well, or you're not sticking your finger down far enough when you check, or you're not watering thoroughly enough when you do water (you don't want to just give the plant little "sips" of water every few days, it's better to do a more thorough watering less often). As far as the window--I have no idea where you live, but if there's a cold draft coming in from the window that can stress out plants. If you're in an area where it's warm outside now then of course that wouldn't be an issue.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2013
8:41 AM

Post #9385822

Pic one - that's normal. A new branch may come out of the hole that has formed in the petiole of that leaf. See the bump underneath?

Pic 2 - that leaf got torn. I see some stippling on that leaf though. Have you investigated the stems and underneath the leaf for pests? There's some stippling on the Anthurium too.

Pic 3 - You can clean the leaves by wiping them with a cotton ball damp with alcohol.

Have you inspected the roots? How long since it was repotted? Did you take your pics at night? Looks kind of dark in there...

JJustMeM
Vinkeveen
Netherlands

May 3, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9507017

Hi DaniŽl, the first picture is definitely not a problem. I work at a dieffenbachia plantation and we see a lot of these signs.

The second picture is probably damaged by a bug. These are mostly white flies. They lay their eggs on the bottom side of the leaves and the larves feed on the leaves. Otherwise it is probably a problem with watering. Dieffenbachia must always be in a moist enviroment. You can easily check the plant for drought by finding a part of the roots. Wet roots will be relatively strong and have a healthy white look, while dry roots are very weak and almost fall of by themself. Dry roots have a darker white colour.

The third picture doesn't have to be a problem. Normally the leaves of a dieffenbachia curl and finally fall off to make space for new leaves. But since the leaves are also damaged like in the second picture, I think this is also due to bugs or drought.

I hope you didn't threw your dieffenbachia away, it is a beautiful plant if cared for right.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America