Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ravyn78
Roanoke, VA

January 15, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9386017

So this is an ID request from a friend of a friend of a friend...

Here's what I know:
This is a smaller ornamental tree (described as crabapple-sized), not a large shade tree that came down in Hurricane Sandy (eastern US, probably Mid-Atlantic States). Leaf measures (very approximately) 4" by 2.5". They think it had flowers. Habit-wise it is described as having a pretty broad branch spread with a gnarled appearance, trunk not straight. Was unsure about thorns or bark.

My best guess at the moment is one of the hawthorns, but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone here will have a better idea than I do...

Leaf pic posted

ETA: Just got more info on the tree. The flowers were pink, it had berries, and rough bark.

Are there crabapples with leaves like this?

This message was edited Jan 15, 2013 2:43 PM

Thumbnail by Ravyn78
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2013
4:29 PM

Post #9386457

Yes, that leaf looks like it could belong to a Flowering Crabapple (Malus sp.).

There are many named selections of Flowering Crabapple - including more than a few fine ones with pink flowers which are handsomely fruited come fall. Crabapples typically develop rough bark with age.

You didn't say where the unidentified tree was located - nor whether any further images were possible. Even pictures of the tree on the ground (or of pieces of it sawed into firewood) might be worthwhile to see.
Ravyn78
Roanoke, VA

January 16, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9387025

The person who sent the picture to me is located in the Washington, DC area. I'll see what I can do about getting additional pictures. Thanks so much for the help!
Ravyn78
Roanoke, VA

January 16, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9387087

Unfortunately, this is the only other picture they have. The tree has been cut up and hauled away already.

Thumbnail by Ravyn78
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9387563

That image does not rule out Flowering Crabapple.

The only other question to ask is: were there any other trees nearby that were the same kind, that are still in place?

A new Flowering Crabapple would be a great gesture toward rekindling the values and memories that the old tree obviously provided.
Ravyn78
Roanoke, VA

January 17, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9388079

From what I understand, this is the only one that was in the area. Thanks so much for your help! I'll let them know it was a flowering crabapple. Hopefully someone at their local nursery can help them pick out a suitable replacement crabapple.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America