Show off your barn

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

My "barn" is an old cinderblock structure which has been converted in to a makeshift run in shelter. It is in poor shape and I want to tear it down and build a "real" barn-maybe a 3 stall barn with tack room and hayloft. (I just have one horse but...thinking ahead!) I would like an overhang so Sugar can take shelter in the rain---she's turned out all the time but will take cover in severe weather. I have to have a plan in place by spring when I want to get started, but I've never undertaken barn construction before and need some pictures of barns to get inspired.

Thumbnail by passiflora_pink
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I LOVE your barn!! So unique!!! I don't have a barn here but am surrounded by old corn cob style barns that are being allowed to rot and fall down. A shame.

Richmond, TX

My horses all live out, but I have an ugly steel barn that could house 6-8 horses. I use it to store feed and to keep tack, tools etc. The chickens live in one side, the tractors in the other. At night I feed and kennel some of the dogs in a couple of the stalls. Pictures to follow.

Richmond, TX

I would like to think my barn is just not photogenic, but it's actually ugly. The best part is the weather vane.

Thumbnail by porkpal Thumbnail by porkpal

Hey at least it works!! lol

Richmond, TX

It does indeed, and it is very sturdily constructed. It will be an eyesore for generations to come.

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Porkpal you've got lost of room in that barn--for equipment as well as horses and hay. I like it!

You should paint it. Have some fun with the color or colors and give it some real personality. lol

Richmond, TX

You sound much more inspired than I. What are your plans for your next vacation?

Float trip for 3 days in June if I can get away. lol.

Richmond, TX

Perhaps you could float down the Brazos! You'd go right by our barn.

LOL. We go to Leabanon, MO and float on the Niangua River. It's a nice quiet spot and since it's a state park area it's super clean.

Richmond, TX

Yep, sounds nicer than the Brazos alright!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I don't have a barn anymore.

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

What kind of shelter do your horses have? I am still looking for someone I can trust to build a new one. I need a real barn--can't even confine Sugar for vet visits as it is. When she pulled a tendon a few years back I had to board her to get stall rest...I see a lot of prefab plans--I wonder if they are any good. But I would really like a real timber frame barn.

South Hamilton, MA

Our barn (don't have a photo) is a pole building. We had 3 stalls & used the 4th for storage, shavings etc. Since we no longer have horses it is used for garden equipment storage. There was a cement center aisle with dooor so we could close one for keeping them out of pasture as we liked. With the 3 ponies we could then regulate where they could graze.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images