-
AuthorContent
mimidahop
Miami, FL

January 16, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9386979

Hello Fellow Plant Lovers,

I saved this plant from a friend. It was in a pot with several little stems which I think were each separate, each had about two sets of leaves. The part which I was able to retrieve from him is doing well. I took it and placed it in the pot with my Dumb Cane, however I would like to put it in a pot of its own. I need to know what it is so I can give it the proper care.

I searched the web and the only plant I could find that resembled it was a Zebra Plant, but I don’t think that it is a Zebra Plant. The leaves are soft and have a sort of papery feel to them, and the stems look a little hairy.

Thank You All

Thumbnail by mimidahop      Thumbnail by mimidahop   Thumbnail by mimidahop
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9387139

It appears to be a Fittonia verschaffeltii cultivar , commonly called Silver nerve plant, mosaic plant

http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/fittonia_verschaffeltii.htm
mimidahop
Miami, FL

January 16, 2013
10:17 AM

Post #9387182

Thank you so much themoonhowl. After your comment I found care instructions on the web. Thanks again.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2013
2:58 PM

Post #9387489

Is there water in the drip saucer of that pot? Maybe a trick of the camera flash...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9387529

Kinda looks like it...may just be a water mark? But the saucer looks about 1/2 full. Not a good thing for your plants Mimidahop. If you are trying to raise the humidity, fill the saucer with pebbles so the roots don't get soggy and rot.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9388409

Even though we maintain a lot of humidity in here (there's condensation all over the windows,) my Fittonias are struggling since coming inside too. I'm very new to this plant, having got my first one this summer, but this plant has a reputation for being a terrarium plant. If you can find one of those glass clochés to put over it, that would probably be really cute and make it happy. You wouldn't have to water it much that way, either.

In your third pic, it looks like the soil may be forming white mold, but it's not focused well, so I'm not sure. It doesn't look that way in the other 2 pics. Good point, moonhowl. Even if the saucer doesn't have water in it, you don't want the soil to be soggy. That will kill the plants (and other stuff like mold, fungus gnats can happen.)
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9389719

I would remove the Fittonia from the Dieffenbachia pot.
Fittonia prefer a lot moister soil, and have shallow roots. That is way too much water, too often for the Dieffenbachia.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America