Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cacti and Succulents: Identity Unknown

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 3, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
liatris39
Sebastian, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
4:59 AM

Post #9387895

I got this beauty a few days ago and have yet to identify it. I know I have read about it...but can't remember the name. Has anyone grown this.. in-the-ground... in South Florida zone 9b?

Thumbnail by liatris39
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

January 17, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9388433

Looks like a variety of Euphorbia trigona

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/221372/

which PF lists as hardy to Zone 9b. You might need to protect it if it's not under the eaves or whatever. I have the luxury of not worrying about such matters here in Zone 11.

I have a green version of that plant and it's a nice robust grower pretty much year-round. Easy to start from cuttings, though they may not root right away. Responds to fertilizer and likes more water than many Euphorbias, just be sure the soil has excellent drainage. Should make a nice landscape specimen in a relatively short time.
mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9389137

I have a green one of those too. About 3 feet tall and still in a pot. It just survived outside during 4 nights of low to mid 20s T here in Mesa, but it was sitting right next to the house and under a patio roof - according to my wall thermometer it might never have gotten below freezing close to the house, so that is probably why it made it through so well.
As Baja_Costera writes a good grower, and very pretty plant. I need to really watch it in terms of watering in the summers here as it gets really hot even if it is in the shade except for a few morning hours. I had hesitated to plant is because of worries about happening exactly what happened here over last weekend, those very cold nights, so that was lucky, but it will have to go into the ground somewhere this spring.
liatris39
Sebastian, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9391090

Thanks for the ID! Now comes the fun part, deciding where to put it... I think I'll put it in a pot for now, just to be safe.
Liatris

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America