Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Identification: CLOSED: Help With Thought Process to ID bird

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 2, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2013
5:26 AM

Post #9387914

I don't really expect an ID for this, but I would like to get some input as to my thought process. Am I on the right track?

In driving to the park yesterday, I spotted two very large (bigger than geese) birds flying off to the side of the road toward me. When I spotted them, they were almost even with my car, so I didn't get a long look and there was no shoulder to pull off on, so I couldn't stop.

The birds were white and black - mostly white with some black on the wings. I don't know if the black was only on the tips or extended down the trailing edge of the wings...wish I did since it might narrow this down.

My initial thought was a Wood Stork since I had seen them last year for the first time and this reminded me of them. But, since I wasn't sure, I looked up all of the possibilities of very large white and black birds in my area at this time. That would be White Pelican (not likely since the body, neck and head were slim), Wood Stork and Whooping Crane. Sandhill Cranes have been seen in that area, but these birds were not gray at all.

I then narrowed it down to Wood Stork or Whooping Crane. The Whooper is not at all likely since they are rarely seen anywhere in Texas but in a small wintering area on the coast. But, I suppose these two could be late stragglers to the wintering grounds??? I doubt it.

So, I feel pretty certain that these birds were Wood Storks, but I won't count them since I couldn't verify all of the distinguishing characteristics (heavy and long vs light and short bill, black on trailing edge of wings and not just tips) from the Whooper.

Reasonable thought process?

Patti

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9388292

Seems reasonable. Can you remember how they were flying? Steady flap-flap-flap, or mainly gliding? Fast wingbeat or slow?

Resin

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2013
3:34 PM

Post #9388487

Hmmm. I don't really remember. But, thanks for asking because now I'll know to look for that.

Patti

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America