Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Is anybody growing MACHE or CORN SALAD?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 14, Views: 128
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9388043

I seeded "Mache" or "Corn Salad" on November 5th.
http://rareseeds.com/corn-salad-or-mache-verte-a-coeur-plein-2.html

While all the other greens I planted, at the same time, are growing really well (see 3rd photo) ... this Mache is not growing very fast. It is still so small !!
The darker leaves in the 1st and 2nd pictures.

The reason I have planted Mache is because it was highly recommended for our cooler winter weather in Dallas.

I hope to hear from somebody that did try this variety.

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9392175

I'm growing it now, and it usually takes about 3 months, it's a slowwwww green to grow. It's one of my favorites to eat, but it's a slowpoke.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9392402

thanks.
I am so glad that somebody did answer.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9392409

my grandparents grew it in their garden in Italy, only they called it something that translates like "sheep's mouth" lettuce. They used it as an edible border, but they do say it takes forever to grow, and it doesn't tolerate heat very well before bolting. I seeded a container in November and have only three little "heads" popping up now.

It's too bad it's so time-intensive, because it is delicious! I make a mache salad with avocado and red onions, but I buy mine from Whole Foods if and when they have it. Three little rosettes are going to end up straight in my mouth, not the salad bowl!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2013
10:21 AM

Post #9392419

I bought this variety also because it did look very similar to the one I ate growing up in Italy.
I remember my mom going to my aunt to pick up this small salad in her garden. I used to eat one bowl all by myself !
We did called "radicchio piccolo".
I was born in Padova. Where do your family come from?

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2013
9:37 AM

Post #9393650

My mom's parents live in Trieste, my dad's parents are regular working-class Sicilian-Americans. They're practically from other planets, I think. :)

I called Nonnina this morning, and these are my notes, which I think I got right. My Italian is very rusty, much less my
Triestino.

Be patient with mache. She reseeds whenever she remembers in the springtime, and harvests with her sewing scissors. Snip snip! It is a weed, so they grow well once they start.

Once it is 25 C, they will go to seed, so plant them in the fall or in the first part of spring.

Do you have good weather, like Padova, she asks?

She mixes hers with rocket, something spicy, sometimes cooked, sometimes raw.

She also asked when I am going to come visit, and did I go to Mass, and when am I going to stop working so much, and that there are too many Sicilians in New Orleans.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9393683

Trieste is a fantastic city and also very windy sometimes.
Thanks for your information.
Padova is a great city. The weather is much colder than Dallas.
I hope my Mache' will grow faster ... that is the area where I will transplant my tomatoes in about one month !
Grazie mille

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9396258

Prego, drthor! Here is how my mache is doing - I seeded it ages ago! Last summer, I planted it too late and it bolted before I could even get to it. This time, I tried starting it in a container. We'll see!

I have never been to Pavoda, but I've heard wonderful things. I have been a bad granddaughter and not been to see my Nonnina in a few years, but it's hard to get to Trieste, lovely as it is. I want to get back, though, I remember such wonderful things about it there.

Thumbnail by Nola_Nigella
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9399848

It better be good ... this Mache' is taking soooo long to grow !

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2013
8:43 AM

Post #9410171

I have starting to harvest MACHE'. It really is not growing very much ... so I am harvesting the whole plant, it looks like a rosette.
It is so good and its taste is just like I remembered growing up in Italy.
I will need to eat all of it real soon, because that is the area dedicated to tomatoes this year.
I will plant Mache' again. Maybe I will start Mache' earlier next year, in September.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9411249

Dr Thor, I think our weather might be wrong for mâché. I'm going to try "grumolo biondo" next to see if that fares any better, but I get the feeling that it's either too hot, too moist, or both?

I haven't been successful with my San Marzanos, either, though. I buy them in flats of cans instead. ;)

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2013
4:56 AM

Post #9411812

Nola_Nigella
you might be right. This Mache is growing sooo slow.
Try the Grumolo Biondo and let me know, please.
I have learn in my first year of growing tomatoes that San Marzano don't do well here in DFW.
No worries ... I have found a lot of tomatoes varieties that grow just amazing. I normally can have tomatoes for 3,5 months a year ...

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor      Thumbnail by drthor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2013
4:57 AM

Post #9411814

Nola_Nigella
this weekend I will cook some "GALANI" e "FRITELLE" ... it is CARNEVALE in Italy now.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

February 8, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9411973

Ooo, fritelle! Beignets are good, but fritelle are even better.

Those are some good-lookin tomatoes! I'm hoping for a few good ones this year. Last year, I was stuck with just a balcony, this year, I've got an actual garden, so I'm hoping for the best. :)
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9411986

im so jealous..u all in southern states..sigh..
i love so many of the greens.. and incorporate them in all
my lettuce plantings..season appropriate..
if our weather holds..nites mid 20sF days low 40sF ..i'll get
my cold frame up and going..and start some lettuce,spinach,musclin
yea !!! fresh salads !!!!
keep posting your pics .. again..im jealous..:)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America