Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Propagation: PLANT PROPAGATION.....THE BASICS III

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 248, Views: 1,701
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9388047

Here's a new thread for 2013!

We are an odd mix of DG members turned friends, chatting about the basics of propagation - sowing, planting, cuttings, greenhouses, hothouses, outhouses. Oh. Well not necessarily that last one, but you can never tell with this bunch.

DG member and friend Pughbear7 started this thread, and we continue it in his absence. We trust he is in good health and hope to hear from him soon.

Until then please join us!

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1252096/#top

Visitors welcome and all questions are answered to the best of our ability.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9388235

Gotcha Amanda. Thanks, think most of us had forgotten about this thread. It really is a good one. Especially this time of year and coming soon. SPRING!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9388477

I have some varigated butterfly bush cuttings from fall looking like maybe. not much else here besides my seedlings under lights.
I think I know how with lavender , willows , and the butterfly bush , easy ,,i know
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9388601

So what are you doing with the cuttings? Just put them in soil? In water, or?? What are the seedlings? What are they variegated? The leaves you mean?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9388612

Sure the butterfly bush is green and white , looks like monrell in the plant files.. Soil bags , outside , looks like some are gonna grow..
The seedlings are Guara ,daylily, centurea, flax, tomatoes, nemesia there will be others and they are under lights

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
5:59 PM

Post #9388620

Those look like they were started from seeds. Do you have some of the BF bush from seeds? Do you think they will come true to the plant? jen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9388624

No seeds of BF and,,, not as to growing true from seed , I in 1500?
From before cuttings in soil as to BF
Willows in water (like they are often used for)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
6:53 PM

Post #9388686

You're pretty well along then! I'm thinking about purchasing plants this year instead of seed. I have grown everything from seed, and I just know with my schedule this season I will be a bad plant momma.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 17, 2013
8:07 PM

Post #9388768

Well my landscape is fried from our 4 days in the low 20s. Freak weather for Las Vegas. Phoenix had the same problem.

I have three Philippine violets living in the garage I started from seed late in the summer. Also three orchid trees also started from seed. They are enclosed in my little green houses inside the garage and so far so good.

I have sown many seeds freely over the landscape. It will be interesting what will raise it's little head in the spring.

Thank you Amanda for refreshing this thread. Hope you are feeling better. Sharon

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
10:23 PM

Post #9388830

My sister is in AZ and they are working on a house I think I told you she bought at auction. Sight unseen. A lot of work she is having done and they are doing a lot of it.

Why I brought that up is that she has not mentioned, and I am sure she would, that any of the plants froze. However, I think most of hers are cactus. They are about an hour from Phoenix. Probably south and that is why they haven't had any freeze maybe.

ttyl, jen

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

January 18, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9389062

Thanks Amanda for starting a new thread!

Jeanette,

My lilac is still alive and kicking - I'm hoping this year it puts on more growth. With our HOT HOT summers... I want to get this lilac well on it's way before I plant out.

Sharon... did you lose all your coleus to the freeze? Mine are all gone... it was sad... -:(

Nancy
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9389409

Nancy, you mean you haven't put that plant in the ground yet??? What are you doing with it? I really think it would do better planted.

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

January 18, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9389413

No... it's still potted up and under some shade cloth. We get 110 degree days in the summertime with no shade relief and it would surely die. (I've done that too many times to take the chance again) I need to get it much larger in the pot and then plant it in the fall with lots and lots of mulch... so it does fry... that would be sad... -:)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9389472

WEll, I guess you know your area better than I do. Much different all right.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 19, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9390707

Coleus, geraniums, lobelia, succulents, and even oxalis. My lettuce and peas looked pretty bad but they look better today. I am not going to replant until end of February. They think we could still have another freeze.

I am getting my coleus order together from Rosey Dawn. I always order for delivery mid April. We never get the selection her and when we do it is to late in the season.

I just hope this freeze killed whatever has been eating my dichondra. I also lost 4 KOI.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9392566

Sharon ~ I am surprised that the freeze did not kill your dichondra. How hardy is it? I have a small strip of it bordering the flower bed on the north side of the house. I have leaves covering it right now, since I discovered that it was still alive especially since we had so many days of hard frost.

What kind of "greenhouses" do you have in your garage? Do they have light in them? Will you show us some pictures? and thank you for sharing your interest in rosey Dawn for coleus...I will check them out. Do you save any of them over the winter from year to year?
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 21, 2013
8:52 PM

Post #9393184

I tried two different winters to hold over coleus. All I did was make the gnats very happy.

The dichondra dies back but comes right back as soon as it gets warm. The freeze wacked the silver dichondra and Jacobs ladder. But I am sure they will come back also. Four days of freezing temperatures sure did a lot of damage.

The greenhouses I have in the garage are small. I have two that have 3 shelves and 4 that sit on the floor of the garage. I will try to remember and take photos tomorrow.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2013
10:16 PM

Post #9393227

Sharon, I found that by taking cuttings from the coleus and starting new plants and getting them bigger over the winter they made much better plants than holding over the mother plant.

I have a couple of those greenhouses too but no place to put them. I had them in the kitchen the year I bought them, but just don't have room in there again. I used them to start seeds.
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2013
12:00 AM

Post #9396873

Ah ha thought you would hide from me. Didn't work did it.

I may be starting some seeds next month. Don't quite know what will come yet. Other than Castor beans. I always have lots of them for neighbors and friends. Huggs, Lee
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9397283

Lee, what do you do with your Caster Bean plants to get them to bloom and have bean pods? Only once in several years I got one big enough to bloom but even it didn't have the bean pods.

I can't believe my season is any shorter than yours. If you start them in the house, how big are then when you put them outside? Are they in bigger pots? jen
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2013
12:01 PM

Post #9397309

Yeah, I am curious as well. Mine only got 8" tall. Still, it did have one seedpod. I did not do anything with that spiny thing though. How do you open it without getting stuck? Or do you just put them in a bag and eventually they open??
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9397499

Hopefully Lee will come on here and tell us. Evelyn, one of the other DGers in Iowa sent me pictures of his and he is over 6 feet tall and these things were like a jungle next to him. Maybe a foot or more taller. and the trunks on them were, I would say about 4 inches thru. Gorgeous. Looked like a tropical jungle. Hard to believe they are one season there too. But, they have it colder than we do and as much or more snow.

But, you know that soil in that area is so fertile. It is amazing.
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9397500

I don't know what I do differently, but here is what I do

Start in house under lights and on a heat mat about middle of March

Harden off by putting them in an unheated greenhouse daily, back to house nitley for a week or so.

They tend to get leggy so when I plant them, usually towards end of April or so, I bury them about halfway up the stock, similiar to tomato plants,.

I don't fertilize them, just put them in the yuchy clay I have in the beds and they grow like weeds.

They do like to be ignored I guess, because I don't even water them all that often unless they are in pots (then lots of water)

Mine usually get to be at least 6 ft tall, with more blooms/seeds than I think anyone needs. I also have had the leaves grow to about 3 ft accross. Kinda tropical looking, I think anyway.

The seed pods will sometime open on their own, but I have also used a nut cracker (carefully) to retrive them.

If anyone needs seeds, let me know, I have lots, Hope this helps. Huggs, Lee

ps Don't know which ones I have green or maroon they are mixed up thanks to my dropping the darn container, Clutzy me
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2013
2:49 PM

Post #9397501

Sorry Jen--cross posted, Lee

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9397508

Like everything else here , mine are big chewed on green leaves , exciting ,,huh?
But the flowers bloom tee hee ...

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9397547

Well, ok, I am going to try them again. They are suppose to keep the moles away. I told you I got that Mole Out, or something like that from Gardens Alive that year. I broadcast it. It was like rabbit pellets if I remember right. Anyway I did that in my perennial bed, and overnight those critters were gone. The thing is, they were on the other side of the house, it looked like a minefield. LOL Should have had enough to put it every place I didn't want them. Anyway, I was saying that on one of the threads on here and someone said why don't I grow my own. So, that is how I got started. But the people on here like Lee and Russ in Iowa have kept me in beans. jen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9397601

I ONCE SAID SOMETHING LIKE THAT ; and some one said why don't I grow own huckleberries , So I started some for this year ...
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9397616

Hey everyone.

Manda, I'm going to pull up a chair. I have way too many seeds and haven't started a single one. Do I know what all is in my seed bin? Fat chance, although it used to be organized. Now it looks like a giant puppy romped through it.
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9397629

Join the crowd, we are all in the same situtation, Lee
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9397687

Straightening it out is on my to-do list, Lee. Must do so sooner than later. Most of what I'm planning to grow this year from seeds are annuals, herbs, and veggies. I was at a friend's house last week and she had a couple of neat stands of volunteer Petunias, apparently they had self-sowed in an area just below where her pots of Petunias had been last year. That's an annual I've never tried to grow from seeds and thought wow, they must be a lot easier than I thought and have read.

leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2013
7:20 PM

Post #9397744

I have had ups and downs with petunia's, but as the rest of the group can tell you, mostly ups. One thing I will say, the sewn seed plants are nicer and hardier than the ones I have bought. One year I planted in Feb in the house under lights on a heat mat, and they were blooming before anyone else's. Don't be afraid of them, try them. Huggs, Lee
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
8:58 PM

Post #9397812

Lee is right. Petunias are very easy. The one thing I do that maybe nobody, or few people, do is pinch them when they are quite small so they fill out good. Actually, I don't pinch them. I use tweezers and take out the 2 leaves in the middle of each stem. That way they fill out right from the get go.

I cleaned my seeds out just this week. A lady in Canada who just retired is going to try to start a small business by selling seedlings from her greenhouse in her back yard. So, I sent her all of my extra seeds, Only ones I didn't send were my petunias. I will use those to fill the containers on my decks. They are good fillers and a lot of color. Easy to take care of.
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

January 26, 2013
7:36 AM

Post #9398017

.Jen, does she need any more? I have lots leftover from what you guys sent me last year. If she does, ask her to dmail me and I will get busy. Lee

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9398186

Well, I have been lurking long enough. I thought maybe I could learn how to start seeds and when Mandy decided to revive this thread I had to come along. I am going to sit back and listen since you all do plants I do not do or even know what half of them are. I would love to have a big garden but at my age, who would weed it? I was thinking of putting some of these plants you talk about in containers on the patio to attract butterflies and hummers.
Any thoughts about how they would do and which ones would grow in containers?

I do want to offer all of you all some cuttings, if you want them, in a few weeks we will be cutting back the black pussy willows. If you want any cuttings unrooted, I will send them to you. Just ask and send your mailing address. If you want them rooted, you will have to wait a few months until I plant them and they are growing. I do not think the roots will hold up without soil in shipping since they are so young and tender. They need constant water as they mature and if they dry out in shipping they will not live for you.

Back to lurking. JB
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2013
7:01 PM

Post #9398630

I tried that JB. As much as I would love to have some Black Pussy Willows I couldn't get them to root and you can't send me any with soil, so I'll have to pass.

As far as the plants growing in containers, probably the best ones would be petunias. They are so colorful. Have you ever grown any from seed? Could you start some in your greenhouse? Do you have a spot where you could put some? I have not ever given Petunia seeds to anyone, but if you want to try some I would send you some. They are very tiny and I plant them one seed at a time, one in each pot. But, that is just my way. Doesn't mean you have to. I really hate thinning plants because the seeds cost so much so that is why I am so careful planting one seed at a time.

Let me know if you want some Petunia seeds. I probably have some pelleted ones I might send you some of those. They are a little bit easier. I don't have many other flower seeds and don't think I am going to buy many this year. I really am trying to cut back. My plants were just too much work. I have enough planters that reach the entire railing of my livingroom deck. It is about 15 feet by 30 feet and I plant the entire railing. This year I would imagine I will put only Petunias in them.

Other than that, I have Ornamental Grass Seed. Some, don't know what all I have. I am going to plant a couple pots of those, and I am sure it will grow from there. LOL, I always have the best intentions, and end up with so many. I am going to plant some Caster Bean seeds, both Lee and I have those beans to plant. Those are all poisonous, so you wouldn't want Charle to be around them.

Was just telling Bob I need to go down to the pantry and see how my plants in there are doing. I forgot all about them. They are suppose to be dormant. ttyl, jen

Let me know. Jen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9398642

Warm thoughts to you all.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7      

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9398645

You think they would look better right side up ..oops!

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2013
10:22 PM

Post #9398762

Whatcha got there Ju?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2013
11:07 PM

Post #9398769

Basket flower, Guara , wallflower, mums, tomatoes,flax, The huckleberries are off to the side of the pic.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9399062

Oh Jen, I guess I could do that. I do not see all that well and tiny seeds could be a problem but I could buy some. Do not send any. If I decide to try some pots I will buy a pack and that will save us both money. Jen, did I send you some black PW already rooted with some soil or just cuttings?

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9399201

I just finished planting some seeds. I know, they will not grow, but I did it anyhow. Last year I gathered some Star Magnolia pods and dried them, took the seeds and put them in the refrig for three months. (That is what the book says stratify them for 3 months) I forgot about them and when I found them today I noticed they have tiny little what looks like sprouts on them. I quickly took them to the GH and planted 32 of those cuties. Wouldn't I be excited if they actually grew? YAHOO!
I love this bush and it is so beautiful when all the buds pop. It is a very early bloomer too.

Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger         

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9399237

I don't do all that well indoors with what I showed in the pics outside my seedlings have had no chance at all, last beautiful batch of Woodfield hybrid lupine went to casualty from ground hog. SUPER GRRRRR...
300 bachelor buttons went down to voles super grrrrrrr
This years hopes are better , and I feel that way also...^_^ Pretty Star Magnolia ..

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9399245

Those voles are nasty. I had a dog, a jack russell terrier, who loved to hunt them. We would walk and he would cock his head and listen and when he heard one he would pounce on the ground , quickly dig a hole and darn if he did not come up with a mole or vole. He was a great mouser too. Miss that dog. We do not have too many here, cats keep them down too. We have squirrels, hawks, backyard birds, fox, deer, coons, grandhogs and so far that is about it. We are pretty close to humans and the other wilder critters stay away. Bear are getting closer.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2013
2:52 PM

Post #9399325

Diatomaceous Earth as rooting medium for cuttings , what do you think?
I can hear some of you now ,oh no, here we go again!!lol

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9399338

No comment. I am not good at soil stuff. I just use Miracle grow and coca core depending on what I am raising but remember, I do tropicals mostly and tender perennials.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2013
3:13 PM

Post #9399349

The expanding soil made of coir is good stuff !!!! I have one block left , and will get more , Plus it is light and easy to handle when you do not feel well .
I had a web sight with a good price but lost it..

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9399374

Years ago I got a big order from a guy called Coco Bob. I doubt if he is even in business anymore. Maybe you could google him and see. LOL Now I am going to get out of here. I love you guys but I have chicken cordon blu waiting and cheese cake for desert. Yummy. Kids brought it home for me. Love those kids too. JB
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

January 27, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9399431

JB--Where' s the diet? Huggs, Lee

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
6:13 PM

Post #9399486

Interesting question about diatoms for cuttings. It would certainly control any insect activity. Not sure if you're using it straight what would be the result. I suppose there's only one way to find out!

Howdy Sooz. Like you - no idea what is in my seed stash. Most of them are trapped in my bedroom somewhere with the three kittens in between us. If I can just get past them for a minute, I might be able to pull some boxes. I have some things drying out on the back porch and in the laundry room from this past summer. I don't mind trying to start old seeds. Well, older seeds. Seeds are viable forever, especially if you use that hydrogen peroxide trick. Now Jen, where is that thread . . ..?

Hmmm.

So today I went out to feed the birds and it seemed so mild I thought today might be the day I go out and start cutting back old growth. Then Court told me it was 32 degrees. Ha ha . I guess it's my Yankee blood that makes a 32 degree day with sun feel like spring. :)

Ju - your seedlings are very cheery!

And JB - I'm excited to hear of your star magnolia seeds. I don't do much cold stratification if I can help it. That's what the winter sowing process is for. I only stratify milkweeds. I don't have enough seed or space in my garden to leave things to chance. Some annual flowers are okay to throw seeds down all over, but some of these crazy natives have really low germination rates so I have to watch them closely in containers or pots or whatever.

Guess I'd better get cracking. I always get anxious at the end of January to start seeds. I'll be listening to you all with your birds and blooms in March or April and my seedlings will just be an inch high. :/

A.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2013
10:00 PM

Post #9399683

JB, if you saw little things like threads coming out of those seeds, they are roots girl!! Good for you. They will grow and wow 32 of them. You will have a new plant to put along side of the CCs. That is really cool.

Lee always has to mess with your mind over a nice meal and what was it? Cheese cake? Wow, don't listen to her about diets.

Good to hear from Amanda again!! Gosh twice tonight. one on each thread. Amazing.

Gosh, see it is 10 o'clock, guess I will read a bit and go to bed. Bob actually stayed up this late watching Law and Order. Think we have seen them all. 'course they just keep making new ones.

ttyl, jen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2013
10:41 PM

Post #9399700

Took a nap woke back up .. I have been thinking about trying to do cuttings of bush cherry and blueberry and so forth .
I do have a 5 in 1 apple tree that makes green apples on one branch . I have a peach-nectarine that flowers and makes lots of fruit, squirrels get most of the fruit .. I have an Asian pear that I am awaiting blooms for the first time this year maybe..I have to get the first two though and will wait until someone decides to offer a trade.
Been mixing .
indole acid and growth hormones for plants ,not as refined as laboratory but not bad etc they seem to work , and it is interesting to do...Have bunches of grape vine cuttings and some shrubs to take a look at during our short weather warm up..
I am happy with this years starts and last years lavender cutting that rooted , every so often I come to know something good ,,

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9400256

I guess now/here is the time to ask if Ju has rooted cuttings to share!

I garden for wildlife - if you had small fruits particularly berries I'm working on that aspect of the garden this year. Of course I prefer natives so we may or may not have anything to share.

JB - I will pay good money for a star magnolia someday. :D

Jen - I maintain that it's best to keep this thread for actual propagation purposes so we don't scare off anybody who might be looking for real information. Somehow, in spite of you all, I am still following this and that thread.

I have a navel orange tree that flowered like crazy inside this year and now has multiple tiny fruits. I do use a soft sable watercolor paintbrush to pollinate myself. Remember Jen I suggested that is what you had to do with your tomatoes in the GH a couple of years ago.

Last season it had fewer flowers (I've had it for at least 6 years and bought it in a 1 gallon pot) and one by one the fruits fell off.

I don't know how to keep those fruits on. Not last year but the year before I put it out in the spring and the birds knocked them off, one by one.

It does seem to enjoy the cooler temps and bright indirect light in this one particular room in my house, misting it daily, trying to maintain proper (?!) moisture in the soil. It's in a nice heavy clay (?) pot of some sort - only about 12" across. I'm doing something right.

Any suggestions on how to get it to keep its fruit? I do enjoy this plant. I know we had a lemon tree growing up. Mom brought it with her from Hawaii or someplace. I don't know if it ever bore fruit, but in Central PA the proper conditions did not exist.

A.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9400310

Amanda, I am only learning how , asking as much as willing to share so am I The only berries I have are white mulberries that are not setting , and to small huckleberries the annual type. (from seeds) more to come just testing ..
Learning to root and graft as is , There is a bittersweet vine that is kinda weedy here not much seems to use that though
As I get a few I will certainly share

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
1:01 PM

Post #9400372

Amanda you are welcome to any plant I have, no charge, you know that. If they grow I will be here yelling and screaming.

I have a couple of salmon hibiscus you could grow outside down there. I also have some begonias if you want any of them. Jasmine also of course. Just let me know so I keep them for you and when the weather warms up I will send them.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9400381

One of the Guara seedlings has split double and has partly red leaves ,, something interesting if it lives , a curiosity!! I meant to add earlier ,why do my clematis seem to root from the smallest bud slip cuttings instead of what the info /videos say and show?

This message was edited Jan 28, 2013 5:56 PM

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9401368

What a morning. I was watering the houseplants (some stock plants too big for the GH) when I noticed on the one gardenia, those ugly little brown scale...they look like little brown balls and the little guy inside them comes out and sucks the heck out of the plant. They were on two gardenias GRRRRRR. Both plants are outside, had to scrub them down good and spray them. I hope they do not get too cold, it is only in the 40s and that could do it, but they had to be washed and I was not about to make that mess in the house and did not want to take them to the GH and possibly spread them to there. Does anyone else have those on your houseplants? Mealy bugs and those are my only real problems. I wonder if they live in the soil or do they hop on in the summer when these plants are outside and hatch this time of year inside. I wish I knew. Guess I better google them. Don't know what to call them. Not brown balls...help.
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

January 29, 2013
11:18 AM

Post #9401373

I don't know what those are any more than I know what the white crud that has taken most of my plants that I brought in. I can't see any bugs, but they have to be there. It isn't the spit ones, this is almost like a fluffy chalk. Help here would be also appreciated. Can't google, don't know what to describe them. Lee

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9401410

SOUNDS like tick aphid larvae ,, white mold to me Only as for me what the heck do I know ...lol I am walking back and forth to the garden ,,a little on the cool side .for that yet ...

Deciding how//...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9401421

Lee ~ Sounds like you have mealy bugs.

JB ~ Now that sounds interesting..."they look like little brown balls and the little guy inside them comes out and sucks the heck out of the plant." LMK when you find out...????

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9401570

Lee, you have mealy bug. There is an easy way to treat them. You wash your plant with dishwasher soap and neems oil. I seldom have that anymore. These little brown balls make me crazy since I do not know what I am looking for to google them.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9401585

Little bugs see food , let's party♪♪♪♫♫♪♪ crispy crunchy salad with sap and syrup .. all right ... Sorry I just had to...

MY camera broke , have to wait to post pics of the cuttings ,, they are leafy green and growing ... I am picking some at
E I...

Well a hair of a thread stray ,, I should learn to stay to the subject matter as is ,, nope no self control at alll!! lol

This message was edited Jan 29, 2013 5:16 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9401593

Sorry... JB look up plant scale or plant lice,,, from your description you might find them in one of those categories..

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9401663

Here is a pic of it. I have looked up everything but without a name I am flying blind. I posted on ATP and Insect ID on DG so maybe someone there can help me.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9401671

They are leaf Beetlle Leaf Beetles - family Chrysomelidae, Field Guild
www.brisbaneinsects.com - 920 657 - More sizes Similar to this

link givesa site that is not as easy to use as could be , but it shows a few things...

This message was edited Jan 29, 2013 6:49 PM

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9401688

Thanks Ju, it certainly looks like it but it seems to be more of just a shell. Never saw legs, etc and I have used a mag. glass. I like that site. Thanks.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9401712

It was just for an idea or two and you are welcome Might be they are their ""Weevil"" selves
snare drum
du du dunt ♫♪

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9401721

They are a scale. If you google gardenia scale it tells you about mealybug and scale. They are a mess to treat and very hard to get rid of. I am going to have to check all my plants tomorrow to be sure they are not infested. If they are, I am out of business.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9401730

That was my first thought when I saw them , a scale or that ,, Sorry for your misfortune that is a lot of work and time right down the old commode when that happens ,,
Try not to be disappointed or aggravated , it will get better..
I get seed lice here every so often , ruins every seed I collect or dry sometimes ,, frustrating it is ...
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9401926

JB, if I had been on here a long time ago I could have told you it was scale. YOu said that in your first post about them. You have had mealy bug I remember. They are nothing like this scale. Do you have any neem oil? If you suffocate them I think it will kill them. Do you ever use systemic? It is kind of nasty stuff, but it sure works. They would take one suck and it would be their last.

Jen
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9401947

JB, that scale issue has nothing to do with propagation. Amanda said she wants this to be strictly about propagation. In spite of us she said.

She forgets that this is Dave's thread. Anyone can move it on when it gets too long, but it is still Dave's. You cannot steal one like that. It is awfully difficult to just talk about one issue and pretty soon the thread dies a slow natural death.

leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

January 29, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9402108

Speaking of Dave. has anyone heard from him. I used to hear from him directly, but since Kim got so darn sick, and Dave not being able to regulate his darn pain, I haven't heard anything, I sure wish her would just check in once in a while so we know he is alright,. He is our leader, after all and we miss him. Lee

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9402450

Jen, scale is a propagation problem as well and I will discuss it on this thread because anyone who is propagating plants has issues with scale, mealybug and all. Of course if this thread is not for discussing only outdoor plants and not houseplants, then that is different. I did not know we had a list of plants to be discussed on this thread and until someone tells me otherwise I will discuss it. Of course, those people who are not really interested may not like it. You know what. I am out of here. Not in the mood for every thread to be so specific. When I need specific help I go to specific threads to get it. But, when I am on a propagation thread that we have had for years and discussed our problems no matter what kind of plants you had begins to tell me what I can and can not say you can all just go plump to whereever it suits you.
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

January 30, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9402473

Hey guys, it wasn;t Jen who said that about subject. Besides, I thought propagation was about all kinds of things having to do with raising plants!! I came here a couple of years ago and had questions about starting seeds--is that propagation??? Sure wish we could ask Dave. But then, he joined us in all our discussions and answered no matter what the subject was. Just wish he would check in and settle this all down!!!!!!!! Lee

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9402570

No problem Lee, I am just cranky today and I am sure Amanda did not mean it to sound the way it did. I know she realizes insects and weather and all those things are part of the process of propagation.

I have written three posts to answer your last one and they are all NOT here. See if this one stays. I am not going anywhere, so relax. I am just fighting those stinky mean little scale. I hate to have to destroy stock plants because of something I could have kept from happening had I felt better and had more energy. It is all my fault.

Propagate on girls, I am still with you and I am getting over my cranky mood. Love you all. JB

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9403110

Here are some Clematis cuttings in Diatom earth off to a good start , hoping for roots ,, sneak a tomato in here and a Diffenbachia ,DAYLILY seedling at the end..

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9403730

Those cutting look great. Love that tomato. LOL I must try some other plants, like tender perennials of some kind but I need to have a plan to sell them if I grow them. Not sure what I want to try. I think I may try african violets again. The gang on the other forum gave me instructions and I think I will try them. Now I need a violet to start with. Not sure where I can get one this time of year. Too cold to ship.

Anyone out there have some leaves you can send me? I will be back. I am running late today and have some paperwork I must get done before tomorrow. JB
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9403811

Sorry JB, I used to have African Violets, but they demand a very particular place or they don't do well. And I am lucky to keep my philodendrons alive. And, anybody can do that. But, yes, you are right, I have heard that you can start them from a leaf also. Have never done it.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9403843

Thanks Jen. I know they would freeze now in the mail anyhow. JB

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9405221

I was wandering where the ideas went , any thoughts , or goodies , in general?

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
3:56 PM

Post #9405277

You lost me JU, what idea? I am so tired I can not think past this post. Please tell me what idea and I will give you an answer. It is still too cold here to ship anything so I am actually doing nothing except I got some of that insect killer, systemic granules, that someone posted about and I am going to begin to use it in the greenhouse if the weather cooperates. It is to snow again tomorrow so I am not sure I will be working in the GH. Has anyone used them and if so, your comments will be appreciated. Nite all. JB

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9405287

I am rambling JB thread seemed quiet so I thought I would ask about any propagation and ideas anyone might have going , just wondering kind of thing , sorry for confusing , I seem to do that once in a while...
YES IT IS 15 degrees here ,awaiting snow tonight and tomorrow , did plant some Centurea that germinated in the fridge and the cat grass oats are sprouting .
Mixing some indole acetic acid for plant cell elongation , acts as a growth hormone ...easy grow house plants seem to like or react well to that...some of the young seedlings also seem to react well to that , i will see as time goes on As soon as i stopped using my natural mix fungicide ,mold has appeared on some of my plant efforts.. . ..
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2013
7:55 PM

Post #9405496

Try cinnamon, that's been working for me.

Pam

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2013
8:05 PM

Post #9405505

I had forgotten that , thank you , in water ,or dry powder? I had been using some basil waters ,with an antibiotic amino that I have forgotten ,until I look it up again..(time to organize some files)
My mind sometimes .oh goodness ...
That little white parasitic mold gets into or on to every thing this time of year ,, Stiff can eat a plant pretty fast if you have ever sat and watched ,, and at one time or another I imagine all have ,, that or bugs ,, always something...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2013
8:23 PM

Post #9405521

I remember something about sprinkling cinnamon on seeds ?
Maybe our host AmandaEsq will join in and say what she uses too, Thanks again ,
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2013
10:16 PM

Post #9405574

I keep it in a shaker and sprinkle it on top after planting or potting up. No mold, no damping off, no gnats. I also use peroxide 1:10 with all the water I use to moisten the planting mix and to water.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
6:03 AM

Post #9405736

Pam, have you ever used cinnamon when you plant seeds? I use it on plants too.

Ju, Mix neems oil and dishwasher liquid soap like dawn or even a hand soap I guess would work, in water and spray the mealy bug. The pots and soil also. If you do not keep after them they will take over all your plants. I used to spray alcohol, but I found that some plants do not like that. The neems oil works best for me.

Nice to see you Pam. Stick around. Have a great day.
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

February 2, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9405824

Hi Pam I had never heard of the cinnamon treatment. I will try it, how much do I use. My neighbor also has the gnat problem and we have been using the peroxide. I will tell her about it also. Jeez JB you didn't tell me this one, :) Huggs, Lee

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9405850

Sorry Lee, I just started using it and I mix some in with my starting powder when I plant my cuttings. Not too much, no one every told me how much, maybe Pam can give us some measurements. Later.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2013
10:49 AM

Post #9406006

Lee, I thought we had everybody on here using the vinegar for gnats. Vinegar draws them. Peroxide works but you have to spray it directly on them. jen
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

February 2, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9406053

I have just been adding to my water that I water them with, wrong again. Really???? cinnamon really works???? Wow Huggs Lee

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
12:21 PM

Post #9406090

I use peroxide in water to keep the water clear and the cuttings stay nice and fresh. I never used it for bugs. Interesting, suppose you could.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2013
3:29 PM

Post #9406287

I just do a light sprinkle from a salt shaker on top of the soil after planting. After a while, maybe weeks or months later, if I see one gnat I sprinkle everything again. A couple of weeks ago I even sprinkled the inside of my little propagator which was starting to smell musty... I washed it out well first, then dried it and sprinkled the bottom. Fresh as a daisy...

According to the peroxide website, using it straight or in high concentrations acts as a weed killer. I do 10:1.

Thanks, JB, I've been lurking, still learning from you all...

Pam

Thumbnail by Pfg

leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

February 4, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9408500

Oh Pam, don't lurk, join us, we always learn from one another. I wish you could meet Dave, the great. He has been our leader since I came here several years ago, Talk about knowledge, he certainly has it, I hope he can come back soon, The family hasn't been well, so guess he took time off, this is almost like a job for him, except we haven't paid him yet :)

I do have a question tho, were you talking about the cinnamon or peroxide in your last post? I know it is dumb ol'e me, but ------ consider the age :) :) :) Huggs, Lee
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9408526

Oh, honey, I don't relate to numbers when it comes to aaaaage!!! LOL...

Sorry my post wasn't more specific...

The sprinkles are of cinnamon. The peroxide is diluted in water, 10:1.

I followed this thread a couple of years ago when I started on DG, and Dave was still very active on it. I remember him well. I learned a ton here, then I guess lost track, got distracted, whatever. Lately I found it and have been following it again. Dave was in a fair amount of pain then, I'm sorry to hear its gotten worse. I'm also sorry to hear his wife hasn't been well...
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

February 4, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9408792

Well then, welcome back! Maybe if we get enough of the "old" people back Dave will visit just to say a hello. Sounds like you started about when I did, and I also, have learned so darn much and made good friends, Huggs, Lee
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9408795

Thanks! I don't think I've been around long enough to qualify as one of the 'old' people... There are some major experts here, as I'm sure you know. But I did read way back into the old threads... It was like getting a graduate degree. There's always more to learn, though... The more you know, the more you know what you don't know, or something like that. I have many more successes now, but plenty of disappointments, too.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9409645

Don't know if any of you belong to the National Gardening site, but I copied this from today's report. I know a lot of you know about this but maybe it will be new to some. there was a nice picture with it and it didn't come thru. Will see if I can find it. Jen

Cuttings root quickly in this easy-to-make propagation pot.
Easy Houseplant Propagation

When wintery weather keeps me indoors, I can still satisfy my need to garden by taking cuttings from my indoor plants. Many houseplants are easy to root in water, but I like to make a special propagation pot for my indoor project.

Making a Rooting Pot

You'll need a medium-size plastic pot with drainage holes, a 2 1/2-inch clay pot, some vermiculite, a paper towel, and a small cork or a glob of florist's clay.

Line the bottom of the plastic pot with the paper towel; then fill the pot with vermiculite. Plug the bottom of the clay pot with the cork or florist's clay.

Push the plugged clay pot into the center of the vermiculite, so the rim of the pot sticks up just a bit above the vermiculite. The clay pot will serve as a water well to keep the vermiculite moist. Thoroughly wet the vermiculite and fill the clay pot with water. As the vermiculite loses moisture, it will be instantly replaced, provided you remember to keep that center pot filled with water.

Take Cuttings
Find a growing point where there are young, new leaves, and make your cutting 3 or 4 inches back from that tip. Cut about one-half inch below a node -- the area where the petiole (leaf stem) or leaf blade joins the main stem. Remove any lower leaves from your cutting that might be buried in the vermiculite. Buried leaves will rot and ruin your cutting.

Push the cutting into the moist vermiculite so the node is just below the surface. The node is an area of actively dividing cells and new roots will form at this point.

When you've finished placing several cuttings into your propagation pot, set it in a bright spot near a window. In 2-3 weeks you should see some new growth. Check to see if the cuttings are rooted by gently pulling up on them. If you feel resistance, you'll know they have rooted. Carefully scoop them out of the vermiculite and transplant them into small containers of potting soil. That's all there is to it!

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

February 6, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9410347

I think this would work well with African Violet leaves JB...

Thanks for sharing Jeanette... I have been doing something similar for a while now and this does work really well. Nancy

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9410364

I need leaves to make it work. I have not had time to find any. Will soon get organized here but just now, it is really busy. Just finished working in the greenhouse and I think all is organized and replanted there now. I need to do some replanting in the house but I think I will wait until Spring and give them some more time to grow. The early cuttings in the GH are having a difficult time just now because of the constant change in temperatures. One day it is freezing outside and in the GH it is 50 or 60 deg. and next day the sun is shining and it is over 90 deg. in there. It is difficult to water or to even guess if they should be watered with that kind of temp. change.
SEnd me some leaves.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9410485

I could send you some Devil's Wing Begonia JB. Cuttings that is. I could even try to root them for you. If you want to wait I could send both at the same time. I have not tried to root it that way, but don't know why it wouldn't. It is the same kind as the Angel's wing. If you want them, then I will look to see if I have any thing else.

Nancy, why wouldn't this work if you put coir in it instead of vermiculite?

I think I have some bricks of coir down stairs. I also have a bag of vermiculite I haven't even opened yet. Just curious about the coir. Where do you buy plugs? Corks? I suppose at the hardware store.

Wonder if I could put vermiculite on one side and coir on the other. Would the little water pot get confused? :0)

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013

Post #9410497

no, Jen, thanks, I was talking about African violets. Sorry for the confusion.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9410516

I used some coir last year and this year. I'm not so crazy about it. I think it may get too heavy and soggy. Some of my seeds I started Deno method- damp paper towel in a baggy. When I saw the little radicals I planted them in coir and they never came up. I'm trying vermiculite now, as a top layer over seed starting mix and to cover the seeds, depending on how much they need to be covered. I usually use a 4" pot for this step. Once they get up and have a couple of leaves, I give them their own cells or pots, depending how fast they are going to grow.

For that, I used coir as a top 1/2" over potting mix and right around the root. I wanted to give the tiny roots something lighter than regular mix to start with, but richer soil for later.The plants are growing well, but a white crust forms on top of the soil. It doesn't seem to do any harm, but I stir it up when I see it and sprinkle more cinnamon on it. You can see it particularly on the Platys in the pic. It's not fuzzy like fungus, but somewhat similar.

Thumbnail by Pfg

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
7:00 PM

Post #9410722

Pam, what is that big leafed plant up in the corner on the left hand side? Jen

edidted to add:

I meant to say that those Platys look good. I grew some, but they bloom so late in the season that it is just about to freeze when they bloom. They are so pretty. They look like a very waxy petal.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2013 7:02 PM
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9410760

The big leaf is an orchid. I've never been able to get one to re-bloom here, it's a very dark apartment. I thought maybe being under the lights might work. When the babies need the room, out it goes. Actually, orchids do very well here. Because of the low light they bloom for months.

I was amazed at how well the couple of Platys I tried last year did. They were blooming in mid-summer before we went away, and when we came back in late September some were still going. So of course now I want dozens everywhere in every color!

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9411676

Here is a couple from today.
I have some larger of the flowers in the first pic I just did not get a picture today , . the tomato is same from the pic previously

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 7, 2013
11:07 PM

Post #9411747

JBerger.
Have you checked Walmart for African Violets. They usually sell them during winter. At least they used to. I have grown plants from AV leaves. It is a slow process.

As far as any bugs, I use Malathion. First I spray the plant with water, especially the underside of leaves. That will take care of lot of them. Then let dry. Mix, then spray Malathion on the plant. I place the plant in an open plastic bag while holding the pot, then spray. Close the bag around the plant. This will make sure you get every inche of the plant and air to kill bug. Leave the plant in the bag over night. It is not a one time fix. Eggs may not be affected so another spray the following week should get them all. Adult are already dead. Malathion stinks so if you can do it in a garage, etc. I use it for every bug inside or out.

If it is scale, you can scrape them off with a knife, careful not to hurt the leaf. They remain in place all their life, laying eggs.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9412189

Thanks so much. I appreciate your help. I will check out Walmart. Also, I found that AV are also marked with a PP number if they are patented. Many places do not mark their plants much less tell you they are patented. I have to be so careful because of selling on eBay. I do not want to loose my State License by getting caught for selling patented plants.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9412414

JBerger,
You are welcome. Any plant that is marked with a PP number is registered to the hybridizer so ofcourse you can't sell it without the owners permission. That means that they would want a cut in $$. Any plant that don't have the PP number you are free to duplicate and sell, unless it states otherwise on the label.

I am not sure the state would do anything. However, the original owner of the PP plant could and would sue you for what they consider loss of revenue ($).

Have you considered hybridizing (cross) 2 different AV for the seeds. Then you can sell those seedlings to your heart's content and even register them after they bloomed. Just a thought.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9412466

The hysterical part of this is that I CAN NOT PROPAGATE AV. For some reason they do not like me, they rot before they root, they never bloom, they just hate me. I have decided since I am now 84 and all grown up, I may just want to give it another try and what a challenge it will be because I can grow almost anything from cuttings but not seeds. That is another crazy thing, I can not grow plants from seeds. I overwater I am sure. But, I have decided I am going to conquer these two little set backs this year. Starting with seeds from a star magnolia I had in the refrig for three months (just like the book says). I planted them last week. Now it is time to think about the AV. So here I am and I have no clue where to begin except to first find out which ones can I grow and sell. I hate wasting time and not having an outlet for the babies.
I have jasmine that I have propagated and sold for years. I have gardenias, begonias, black pussy willows, holiday cactus, orchid cactus but no AV. This is the year for them. Thanks for your help. I may just consider beginning with starting one of my own. ☺
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9412546

JB, have you googled them? You should be able to find a place to buy them, and a place to discuss them, how to grow and propagate them.

I love the hat/scarf you made for your daughter. Wish you had posted a picture of the hat. I never did find the site to look at Teresa's hats on Etsy?

Jen
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9412548

Whoops wrong thread. With the hat and scarf. Sorry, Jen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9412628

JBerger,
Here is a website that may help you in sowing. The only change I would recommend is that since AV seeds are tiny, they should be surface sown. I use a clear deli container filled with damp peatmoss (if it is too coarse rub the peat around in your palms.) Then scatter the seeds in the peatmoss and lightly tamp it down. When they have germinated and large enough to handle, just move the peatmoss/seedlings to a container with seedling mix
OR
follow the instruction in the link below. You can do it. You just need to know how.

http://nadeausafricanvioletseeds.com/Instructions_for_sowing_seeds.html

This message was edited Feb 8, 2013 8:05 PM

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9412635

JBerger,
Google germinate african violet seeds and you will get plenty of info. It is how I found the link.

Here is one hybridizing AV

http://www.rachelsreflections.org/hybridizing.htm

You are all set now. I used to grow AV years ago. Strangely, it was the only plant Mom could grow and have it bloom, bless her soul.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2013 10:29 PM

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9412946

Great pictures on that site. Too bad those seeds are so small, I would not be able to deal with that since I only have one eye and that one is now beginning to fade. I just may give it a try since I am one stubborn old lady. Thanks. JB
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2013
12:53 PM

Post #9413271

JB, don't worry about sowing those seeds one at a time. I think Park Seeds show that they have about 50 seeds per pack. I wouldn't try to sow them all at once, but instead of sowing one at a time, just sow, sprinkle, some in one pot.

Think there was a way someone suggested one time about using a salt shaker and having the seeds mixed with some very fine sand. Then just shake it over a pot. Spray with a fine mist of water, then cover it with a piece of saran wrap. Put it in a light window and wait for them to germinate. When you can see them with your one eye, then they probably are ready to move to separate pots.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9413400

Here's a larger Centaurea;

Thumbnail by juhur7

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9413500

How long before you can plant them outside JU?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
5:15 PM

Post #9413532

End of May? About that it usually is .. Feels like forever from now...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2013
7:59 PM

Post #9413667

Imagine how I feel, my date for tender annuals is June 1. But by then the perennials will be long gone from the house, at least I'll have some things to plant out earlier.

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

February 11, 2013
6:38 AM

Post #9415147

Blomma... I have a question related to your earlier post about the bugs... you mentioned spraying the AV leaves with water (especially the undersides). I have always heard that you should avoid getting the leaves wet when you water them. Does this cause any issues for you? Just curious... I don't grow AV anymore... but I used to have 3 gorgeous AV's in my kitchen garden window... but they have since died and I haven't tried again. I often had problems with those little tiny white bugs... I think they are 'foliar mealybugs'... and I would just take a q-tip and brush them off... I read that dipping a q-tip in alcohol and wiping them off would work... but boy is that tedious work! -:) Your thoughts? Nancy

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9415244

Nancy, I always heard that you always must water from the bottom the AV because you should not get water on their leaves. That is one reason I have stayed away from them other than I just can not grow them, but I water all the plants in the GH with a hose and they all get wet all over. Interesting.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 11, 2013
9:34 PM

Post #9416248

NF2932,
You missunderstood. I wasn't referring to AV leaves, just buggy plants in general, regarding spraying. The reason they say not to spray AV leaves is because if sun hit the wet leaves they tend to cause spots Other than that it won't hurt the leaves.

If those bug that you had trouble with had wings, the were whiteflies and hard to get rid of. Probably had it when you brought the plants home. Most bugs hitchhike from the store.

JBerger,
Every plant should be watered from the bottom to throughly wet the rootball by syphoning upwards. When you water a dry plant only from above, much of the water runs down between the side of the pot and the rootball. Rootballs tend to shrink when it dries out leaving a space for the water to run down. Result is that it doesn't get throughly wet.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9416474

Thank you for the info, Nancy. I water from the bottom in the house, but the top in the greenhouse for most of the plants because some can not stand in water flats. I was merely referring to the AV.

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

February 12, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9416538

JB - that last watering d-mail was from Blomma... not myself.

Blomma... thanks for clarifying...it makes more sense now. Those whiteflies are pesky and very hard to get rid of. -:)

Nancy

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
10:34 AM

Post #9416695

Sorry Nancy, I read that fast this a.m. and saw only your ID. I am having one lousy day.

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

February 13, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9417558

No worries... it's all about learning... just wanted to clarify... Does anyone on the thread know if sweet bell peppers can be propagated? I tried it twice... using the method mentioned above...but had no success...Mine sometimes get heavy fruit and the branches break off... I feel bad about tossing them in the compost ...so i've tried propagaing but no luck so far.

Also...JB since you're the tropical gal... I wondered if you could give me some tips for my baby gardenia. Seems like it's been a 'baby' forever. I think they are slow growing... (am I right?), but at the same time... wonder if I should be fertilizing? The one I have is about 4" tall... and I've had it for a year...doesn't seem to have grown at all. I also wanted to ask if I should have considered planting it in a special soil mix...?? I just used regular potting soil from the nursery. Thoughts? Nancy

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9417565

If you tell me what kind of a gardenia it is I can give you a better idea what to expect and how to care for it. I will be back later. JB

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 13, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9417651

Gardenias require acid soil, high humidit and warmth. Here is a link to their culture. Not an easy plant to grow in the house.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/growing-gardenias-indoors.html

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2013
9:52 AM

Post #9417760

Nancy, The Gardenia Jasminoides or Gardenia augusts are in the Rubisceae Family and they are without a doubt the easiest to grow. Top Tropical Plant Catalog has a wonderful site with the description of many of these different species and what each one takes to keep them happy. I keep all my gardenias in the house except for the babies, they are in the greenhouse. But I think I will from here on in keeping them all in the house just in case the scale comes back. I can not afford to fail an inspection for a few gardenias. LOL.
I thought we had that link saved somewhere, but if not I will be happy to look up the link and give it to you.
I always just do the peppers from seeds or small plants. Never thought of propagation from cuttings. JB
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9417785

Nancy, when you are doing that with your pepper you are probably planting the entire branch that broke off? Well, most plants when you take a cutting, you take 4" or so and that is all. Just so you get a node to take leaves off where roots can grow. But, if you are planting the entire branch, it cannot sustain that big of a cutting/plant without a root to get nutrients etc. to it.

Now, that is just my thoughts on it. Could be all wet. :0) I know it hurts to throw the whole branch away. Maybe you can get several cuttings from it. Do they have several small branches on them? Normally they do. Take one cutting from each. Get nodes!! Please let me know if it works. Jen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 13, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9418292

Jnette,
You are correct as far as a plant not able to sustain a large cutting/plant without a root to get nutrients etc. to it. I usually take a cutting 3" long with 2 pairs of leaves (4 leaves) and make sure that there are 1 or 2 nodes for roots to grow from. I also remove te growing point and any flower buds so that the cutting concentrates on producing roots, rather than grow and open a flower.

However, not all plants develop roots from nodes. Begonias, tomatoes, and Hoyas---to mention a few---produce roots along the stem.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
9:43 PM

Post #9418470

That is interesting to know about the Begonias for one. I have a Devil's Wing that I have wintered over and am thinking seriously of starting new plants from it for this year. Don't know if the same holds true for them that the coleus do, but I find that they, coleus, do much better taking cuttings from the mother plant and then throwing her away. Sounds gross doesn't it? :0) But, I would appreciate it if you have had any experience in that and let me know.

I am thinking tho, back to the peppers, that Nancy could not bear to throw that nice big branch away. Nancy, take as many cuttings from it as you can and do as blomma said, pinch out the growing tip too. Then throw it away. You will end up doing that anyway.

Jen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 13, 2013
11:01 PM

Post #9418482

Jnette,
If I remember correctly, Coleus also root along the stems. I haven't grown them for years because they don't do good here. I do remember that it is better to start new plants from cuttings, than save the mother plant. They are annuals so need to be restarted since it is the color that is wanted, not the flowers.

As far as your begonia, they are are not considered annuals but permanent houseplants. I had an angelwing begonia years ago that I took cutting off to give away. It grew to 3ft but I kept it shorter. I have found that Begonias can be rooted in water but best time is when they are actively growing. They also root great in mix of peat and perlite or vermiculite. Then placed in a plastic bag till rooted. If you tug a cutting and it resists then it is rooted.

Below is a begonia I grew from cuttings for my daughter. It is pretty much an eveerbloomer. Don't know the name but blooms early and grows to 2 feet and bushy.

Thumbnail by blomma

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

February 14, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9419024

Regarding the pepper...Thanks all... I will definitely take cuttings next time... it makes perfect sense... great advice!! I feel better knowing I may be able to save some and grow new plants... even placing my broken branches in the compost is hard to do! -:)

Yes, coleus do root along the stems and it is better to take cuttings. The parent plants tend to get leggy and ugly over time. There are so many beautiful coleus you could devote all your time to growing just those plants!

JB... I cannot for the life of me recall what type of gardenia. I have it outside under a shade cloth. Maybe I should bring it inside and grow it as a house plant. I hadn't really considered that. Good idea!

Blomma... thanks for the gardenia website...I am going to spend some time reading and learning more about them. This is my first shot at growing one and I purchase it on impulse not knowing much about them. Lots to think about! Thanks all! Nancy

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 14, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9419227

Nancy, you are welcome. Lucky you living in CA where you can grow beauties outdoors and not rely on growing indoors. Although, if I lived there most likely I would garden myself to death outdoors. When September rolls around I am ready to end gardening.

In October and November I garden indoors starting daylily and iris seeds from my own crosses.

Below are last year's daylily seedling planted May 2012.
2nd photo is of iris seedlings from 2012.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma         

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
7:01 PM

Post #9419375

He Blomma, that begonia looks kinda like the Devil's Wing that I have in the house here. It is blooming right along, even with the heat register blowing on it. Poor thing. I just don't have any other place where it can get the natural light. Yes, years ago I had an Angel Wing Begonia also. I had it in a coal scuttle in a hallway of an apartment house I lived in. When it was getting too tall, I just broke it off and stuck in the soil below and it started right up. Weird plant, just kept blooming. Didn't really get a lot of care.

Are those Daylilies and Irises some that you grew from seeds? What do you do with them? How different are they when they bloom, from the parent plants? Very cool.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 14, 2013
8:40 PM

Post #9419463

Hi Jnette,
Did your Angel Wing Begonia have small silver dots on the leaves? Mine did. The one pictured grows pretty fast. Too fast for my windows.

The seedlings, yes they are all my crosses. Below are 5 seedlings that bloomed last year. The seeds were harvested from the same pod. There are so many generations of genes that you never know what you will get. That is what makes it so addictive. I sold all but the 1st, the 3rd, and the 4th. I want to see if they will be worth naming and registering. They are from 2009. Two more from the same pod didn't bloom due to being too crowded. Since I moved them they will bloom this year.

My main goal is to produce the "perfect" daylily or iris that is different. I have to cull and those I sell.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 14, 2013
8:42 PM

Post #9419465

And here are the pod and pollen parents of those 5 irises above. It is Buffawn x Gay Parasol, both are historic.

Thumbnail by blomma

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9420349

Those are beautiful. Even the yellow one was part of the group? Wow.

Yes, my Angel Wing had the silver spots all over the leaves, and clusters of many pink blossoms. It was about 3 or 4 feet tall. I had to stake the stems. Don't know how tall it would have been if I had let it. They really grow. Very easy to grow. I have got to fertilize these plants I have in here. I have some really deep red geraniums I bought last year and I kept them in the house here. Didn't label anything and I have a few others. So, now I am going to have to get them to bloom before I plant them permanently for the containers for the deck. They all have done well. I have 2 grow lights, one is a Metal Halide, and the other is an HPS, High Powered Sodium I think it stands for. The MH is for foliage and the HPS is for blooms or produce. Guess I will put those on the plants.

Actually, they might bloom without fertilizing if I just put those lights on them.

Oh, been meaning to ask you. Do you know why leaves of philodendrons will turn brown? Just along the edges? I have a split leafed variegated. Like a Monstera Think it is a Delosia or some such thing. Don't remember how you spell the name. But, sure would like to figure out what is wrong with it.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2013
7:40 PM

Post #9420481

Jen ~ I think, from my experience, years ago, they suffered from sitting in standing water. You might have to repot and put fresh soil in and make sure that it drains well.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9420483

I have to hill up the ground for mine , lots of wet ground that does not naturally drain spring and fall My iris plants are not fond of that at all .. They grow and bloom but root fungus can get to be a problem ... ETC they do not live long because of that .
Only the old blue heirloom does all well , those I have and keep trying to give away for some reason . I make no sense at all do I ?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
9:17 PM

Post #9420531

Well, sure don't know how that can be Evelyn. It is sitting right here where I keep an eye on it all the time. I will check that tho, thanks. Jen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 15, 2013
9:41 PM

Post #9420538

Jnette,
Yes, the yellow one, and the white came from the same pod. That really surprised me. Both really produced huge blooms.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9420776

Blooma, here are some dots on my Angel Wing. The underpart of the leaf is burgundy and it grows very tall. In fact I threw her away last year and I now only have two young plants left. It is called Angel Wing Cane Like Begonia according to the begonia society since it is more of a noid and when I was selling them I ask them to give it a name. That is what they gave it. LOL
Tells you nothing. It gets pink flowers but I have never seen it bloom. It just grows like a weed.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2013
9:04 AM

Post #9420878

That's a beautiful begonia JB. It seems to have more pointed leaves than mine did, and the spots are more blotches than mine were. Bigger blotches. Yes, mine was burgundy underneath, maybe not quite as dark. How does yours compare to JB's picture Blooma?

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
10:06 AM

Post #9420920

Here it is only a bigger plant. The first one is the size of what I have now. The other is the old stock plant that I finally just got rid of. I was so big and so cut up and ugly. This is when it was pretty and not so old and beat up. LOL

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9420935

Ok, to start the new plants do you put a cutting in water, or soil?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2013
10:44 AM

Post #9420946

Sorry Blomma, LOL, I copied JB and put the double o instead of the double m in your handle. :0) Jen

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
1:46 PM

Post #9421129

Jen, believe it or not, I start every cutting I take in water. Even if it is only for an hour or so, I still give them a drink before I plant them in soil. But, this one does get started in water and does quite quickly. It is a fragile plant to ship. Breaks off easily , excess heat curls up the leaves, I stopped shipping them some time ago. It has to be exactly the proper temperature to ship them and certainly not what it has been lately. Also, they hate direct sun. They like water. This plant gave me so many babies but it just outgrew itself eventually. I never saw it bloom. It is definitely a mystery bloomer.

Have any of you raised Streptocarpus? That is one I am looking at now. It is a gesneriad like an African Violet.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 16, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9421385

Jberger, that looks exactly like the begonia I had. I think I bought mine as a small plant somewhere. If I remember correctly, it produced pink blooms in clusters. I found it easy to grow. I lived in Nebraska when I had it. Had an old house with oldfashion large windows. Lost it when I divorced along with 40 houseplants. Also left my greenhouse. But, it sure was worth leaving.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

February 16, 2013
10:09 PM

Post #9421521

That is all that matters Blomma. I cannot get one house plant to grow let alone 40.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2013
10:37 PM

Post #9421532

Yes, I can't imagine why JB can't get it to bloom. This one I have, a Devil's Wing, has been blooming all winter and the poor thing has the heat register blowing on it all the time, and I forget to water it. Every one of this type of begonia has bloomed continuously.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 16, 2013
11:15 PM

Post #9421538

Jnette,
It must be happy to bloom. I think begonias don't like to be constatly wet. I allowed mine to dry out a bit before watering. How yours can stand having the heat register blowing on it is beyond me. I would think the leaves would get crispy.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9421768

I have a few other begonias that bloom constantly. Tea Rose is a constant bloomer, Honeysuckle, Christmas Candy also bloom, Orange ruba is a beautiful one too. They are blooming now. The only one that did not was the Cane Like Angel Wing. I have read that it must have the kind of light it likes or it will not bloom. Mine are now in the greenhouse and the shade cloth is on. Maybe they are not getting enough of something they like.

This is the second time I have tried to send pics of plants and they disappeared when the message appears. Strange. I will try one more time just to see if it happens again. I do not know what I am doing differently on this thread that makes that happen.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2013 11:15 AM

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9421772

No luck, it shows a preview and then there is no send button. I am out of here.
Now they appear. Oh Gosh...this is crazy.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2013 11:21 AM

This message was edited Feb 17, 2013 11:22 AM

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9422231

JB, which ones did you say did not bloom for you? The Angel Wing? I wonder if your light is too bright for it? Even this one, which looks like the same plant as your orange one (gosh that orange is beautiful) is blooming in a daylight window, but that is on the North side and never gets sun in it. Just daylight. But, I remember the Angel Wing I had blooming, and it was in an entrance hallway with a very small window about 4 feet above it, and an entry door with a glass in it about 8 - 10 feet away, and it had a sheer curtain on it. So, you see, it didn't have much light either.

Now, the Orange one looks like my Devil's Wing, and the flowers look the same other than color. How big does it get? Tall?

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9423268

Jen, I had it out of the sun mostly, I thought maybe it was not getting enough light. go the Logee's website and look up the Orange one and see what it says there. I do not know anymore how big it gets but I think it is one that does grow tall. sorry, I do not know. JB

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9423634

I put a couple of cuttings in water in the kitchen window. I will see how they do. I have a ginger I just love. But, it just sits there and grows beautiful foliage. I have never had it bloom. I think most of them do. I would love to see it. Guess I should look it up and see what it needs.

I found some seaweed I had bought from Burpee a couple of years ago and had never used. Think it is time to give these plant some of it or something. Guess I will try it. jen

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
7:42 AM

Post #9425316

I never used seaweed I used that stinky fish stuff. Oh Lord that is gaggy to mix but the plants seem to like it. JB

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9425818

For any of you growing impatiens plants you should be aware of the latest problem that surfaced last year and has plagued the industry ever since. It is called "downy Mildew", I do not know if this is a NJ problem only or what, but I wanted to give you a heads up. Have a good day. JB
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9425842

It destroyed mine last year, NW Connecticut. I first saw it the year before, but didn't know what was wrong. I'm going to try I Balfourii this year. A couple of volunteers did well last summer and I collected seeds. Not the same look, but pretty.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9425865

Sorry, pic didn't post.

First pic is from 2 years ago. The rest are last year, but all looked awful by the end of the summer.

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg      

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9425867

Here is more information. This is not just a NJ problem. This thread has all the info you will need to know, in fact I think maybe your seeds may not be good either. Read it and judge for yourself. Good Luck. JB

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1298071/

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 20, 2013
7:28 PM

Post #9426148

I get downy mildew on my roses early summer. Likewise hardy perennial geraniums. I use a fungucide spary which takes care of it. Last year I had none. I wonder if there are two types of mildew. If not, then spraying would help. I don't grow impatiens in WY due to dry climate. They did great in Massachusetts when I grew them there.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9426157

I thought soda was normally used for that type of problem. Don't know where I got it from. Think my mom used it on her roses many years ago.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9426168

Hey Jen How does your catgrass grow?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2013
8:45 PM

Post #9426208

LOL, Ju, I don't have any catgrass. I bought some at a pet shop one time. And planted it and forgot about it. It got foot tall in an 8inch pot. I put it down for the cats to see if they wanted it and they turned their noses up at it. The dog came along and grabbed the grass out of the pot in a ball and ran off with it. So much for the catgrass. However, if I did have some and did it right and not put it where the dog could get at it, then the cats might like it.

My sister plants some for her cat and the crazy cat rolls in it and everything. Hey Ju, you know, I have some horse radish growing out there, wonder if I got a horse if it would roll in the horseradish.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2013
8:48 PM

Post #9426211

LOL!!!! That's a hot one!!!!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9426641

Jen, the cat grass seed I sent you came with instructions on how you need to trim it before it is ready to eat. Please read it and keep the dog away from it until you see if the trimming will entice the cats. My cats actually ignored the expensive "all cats love" plant I purchased for them before I knew about the cat grass. Could be some cats just do not give a crap about greens. Oh well.

Blomma, roses are such high maintenance I have never grown them and I would love to. But, my SIL is a nurseryman and he brought home a rose plant the nursery was going to throw out and planted it beside the barn in full sun. He has that thing growing and blooming almost all year round , up until a hard frost this year and some buds froze. Then my one son gave me a tea rose for Mother's Day one year and I stuck it in beside the one Rob planted. It took off and is growing. There is no spraying, nothing but soil and sun and plenty of water. I do not go near them or they will die. LOL Here is a pic of them.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9426776

Well, my cats want greens, they ate all the creeping Charlie I had growing in the bottom of my Dragon Wing begonia. I am continually yelling at them to quit eating on my plants. They try them all.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2013
10:56 AM

Post #9426799

This is the kitty that ate the spider plant , and the pot is just right for a bed,PURR I love catnip also..

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7      

leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

February 21, 2013
11:33 AM

Post #9426827

Sounds like Ju is smoking again :) I don't have cats, but the neighbor cats love some areas of my yard, so I must have some "grass" that they like. Huggs, Lee
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9427444

Ju, how come you have pot in your house? And the cats eat it? That is animal abuse!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2013
9:42 PM

Post #9427457

Well then the cats in denial , about the pot , only that was just for you cat haters , I always heard the cats like to eat moths, not spiders , But others tell me cats really like them spiders ,especially when they are spider plants!!!!

Here's the plant in recovery

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2013
10:02 PM

Post #9427460

Cats will eat spiders or anything else that moves fast. They have to eat it to make it quit moving. Yes, even plants.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
12:48 PM

Post #9428057

The Black Pussy Willow are showing catkins. I am so excited, a true sign of Spring. I will be cutting these soon as the weather warms up a bit. Time to root them, in fact I am late since the catkins are already starting. Hmmmm. How did I get so far behind?

Thumbnail by JBerger

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9428072

I will try a couple of pics of the clematis cuttings in a few days .The attempt to root them is gong a little better than previous attempts
My cutting attempts are win a few lose a few , but I don't like losing plants ,it aggravates me ..lol (a little)

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9428087

Do you start your clematis in soil, coco core or water or what?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9428093

So far this time the Dimeticous earth seems to be working better than any has before , Going with that to start this time , I have difficulty with the coir, tend to get rot from to much water , it works, I just need to use something that drains or aeriates better.

Can't seem to spell today either...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9428108

I'm disappointed with coir, too, for starting seeds. They seem to rot, and the surface looks moldy. Have you ever tried vermiculite? I'm experimenting with that now or seeds that are slower to germinate. Apparently, at least according to what I've read, there is o. Mold or rot with it, and the sprouts can stay in it longer once started.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9428121

Last year I bought a really big bag of vermiculite to save money. I put it in my feed barn just in the bag and never thought anything of it. A rat got into the barn and chewed a hole in the bottom of the bag and it was a big hole. I had vermiculite all over the darn barn and lost most of it because he also dug way up into the bag looking for a nesting place. What a mess. So, NO, I use core for some things. No more vermiculite.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2013

Post #9428139

I have not used vermiculite since the 1970's I use a heavy gravel sand or the DE , Everyone has their habits, those seem to fit mine , I either under water or over water Either that I use are more forgiving of mistakes or lack of attention (it happens, not often)
I think the vermiculite works well for many gardeners just not myself .
I am a little off the string or straight line though , two most common reasons , Even after years of growing plants I get many that I have never grown before .
The other I just want some things done quick TRANSLATES : EITHER I don't know what I am doing .or with the other I don't want to have to work so hard at something that it is no longer enjoyable ,, Plants and gardens are suppose to be fun ,relaxing, and healing, and just plain pretty ...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9428211

"Plants and gardens are suppose to be fun ,relaxing, and healing, and just plain pretty ..."

I couldn't agree with you more!!!

Deno has worked very well for me, but this year I have a couple of recalcitrants and have been experimenting with other methods for them. A couple of people on DG whose posts I've read recently swear by vermiculite, so I thought I'd try it. No results yet...

I will remember not to leave it in the barn!!! LOL...

Pam

PS. The seedlings are in the city window, the garden and barn are in CT.

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg      

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9428224

Very pretty !!!! reminds me of the original Crockett's Victory garden Circa 1975? New England gardens have a certain charm all there own , Being a Prarrie weed though myself , lol well what can I say?
How about seedlings? took these last evening I am becoming a bit of a pic nut myself , can;t help myself ..lol
Some of these are about to be potted up again , if I can find the room ... goodness ...

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2013
4:10 PM

Post #9428266

That's always the problem, isn't it? Space... I'm so squeezed in right now, but that hasn't stopped me!

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 22, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9428312

Pfg, Love your yard in CT

As far as seed sowing mix, I have used Jiffy-Mix since last year. I do Deno, then place the sprouted seeds in the Jiffy-Mix. The fine texture is perfect for seeds, even fine seeds, when dampened before use. It doesn't get hard when drying out. According to the bag it is 100% organic and contains:

"45% to 55% Sphagnum peat moss, 45% to 55%vermiculite, and lime for balance pH, and organic wetting agent."

The vermiculite is so fine that you can't recognize it in the bag with peat moss. It is also great for starting cuttings.

Walmart has it . The bag contains 12 quarts. Easily recognize as the bag is gold color.

Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 22, 2013
5:22 PM

Post #9428326

Here are this year's daylily seedlings growing in Jiffy-Mix. Photo taken today

Thumbnail by blomma

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2013
5:44 PM

Post #9428350

Pam, what do you have your shelving sitting on? Looks like it is very high. It is just like my setup, only I put 2 lights on each shelve and run my trays the other way. I get more on them that way. They only hang over an inch on each side, and by using a light on each side of the center bar on the shelf, they all get enough light. And if it looks like they might be getting leggy, I just rotate the plants.

Blomma, I have never seen that seed mix at Walmart.

Let me ask you guys, if you are so hard up for room, what do you do with those plants before you can plant them outside. Blomma, you are zone 4 and Pam you are the same as me 5. Our last frost date is the end of May. Do you have greenhouses or something? If so, how do you heat them?
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2013
6:44 PM

Post #9428397

My shelves are on brackets on either side of the window. I plan to get 12" shelves, mine ar 8" now. I still won't be able to put the trays sideways, but it will be easier in oth ways.

At the end of March we open the house, and all the perennials will move there. I'll still start the annuals in the city where it's warmer, the heat in the house is lowered when we're not there during the week. I also have a mini greenhouse where I harden the plants off as soon as possible, first the perennials, then as it warms up outside the more tender plants go out there.

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg         

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 22, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9428406

Jnette, You may not have seen the mix if out of season. They are selling it in my store now.

My seedlings will grow under light until beginning to mid May. I have the same mini greenhouse that Pfg has. They will harden off there. Mine is located on the East side of my shed. Last year I had 156, 3" pots in there (see photo)

I begin to plant my seedling in a garden nursery around the 3rd week in May.

Before I had the mini greenhouse, I harden plants off in large plastic tubs. Covered if frost threatened. Also easy to place in the garage if I had to. That was before I sowed so many seeds.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

February 22, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9428455

I have the same greenhouses (2) but mine are only 3 shelves. Right now I have some of my tropical tender plants in them in the garage. I am going to start some turnip and sweet peppers next week.

I ordered my coleus from Rosey Dawn for 15th of April delivery. They come in a a cutting starter that is totally full of roots. I take a sharp knife and cut through the material to loosen it and then report in a 3" pot. They stay in the greenhouses for another 2 weeks and then they go into the beds.

About 4 weeks ago I went through the front garden area and just threw seeds helter skelter. It will be interesting to see what will germinate and where.

You all amaze me with all of your seedlings. But I guess in zone 4 & 5 you have to find something to do besides stare at the walls.

Talk at you all tomorrow. Sharon
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2013
9:59 PM

Post #9428564

Ok, no, I have one of those too. A 4 shelf one. The one I was talking about of Pam's was chrome shelving but she is right, it is on brackets where mine is a unit with 4 corner posts with the chrome shelving. That was the one I was talking about. (the ones she posted at 3:24). As I said, I too have the one with the zip front etc. But, I have tried putting them out on the deck in May, but it doesn't seem to get warm enough that they do anything. Just sit there. If it doesn't get any warmer than 50, they don't grow at all. I suppose they harden off, but I have always been afraid they would rot since the ground isn't warm enough to plant them and have them grow.

I mean I have never seen that kind of potting soil at Walmart Blomma. That package. Do you leave them in those pots until the middle of May Blomma? I guess that is what I am talking about. Don't they have to be in bigger pots and then where do you put them? Ok, I went back and read that you put them in 3" pots. Actually, they probably look bigger in your picture than they are.

I also have a larger greenhouse than that, it is 4x8 feet and I had up-potted my tomato plants into 6" or gallon pots and put them in there in May and it was still so cold the poor things just sat there until I honestly thought they would die. It was just too cold for too long. The last 2 or 3 years our month of June has been so darned cold it didn't get any warmer than May. And then we have had summer into almost November.

If we could count on June being half way warm then I would feel comfortable using it. Therefore, I do not even plant my seeds until late March or into April. Depending on how long they are going to take to germinate.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9428718

Interesting how different climates can be even though zones seem similar. I get my tomatoes out into the stand pretty early. It is up against the house on the south side, but gets filtered sun for much of the day because of tall trees and shrubs on the property line opposite it. I keep two 1/2 gallon jugs full of water on the bottom shelf, supposedly they heat up during the day and keep it warmer at night. I plant the tomatoes out under frost blanket by mid-May-ish and they do quite well. My frost date is around June 1. I'm thinking this year to try Xmas lights for an even earlier start.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9428873

Pam, how are your months of June the last couple of years? Are they as cold as mine? I have found that with others in the same zone as I have. Even tho we are the same zone, we have different weather and temps. That is why I don't rely to heavily on their zone tags when I buy plants. Normally only buy plants that say hardy to zone 4.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 23, 2013
3:57 PM

Post #9429226

Years ago when I had veggie gardens, I always started tomatoes and peppers on March 15. The zones were 4 and 5---Massachussetts (MA), Nebraska (NE), and Wyominng (WY). In MA it was safe May 20. In the other 2 states May 30.

Having said that, I always planted a few plants at least 2 week earlier then recommended and covered if needed. I always had tomatoes by July.

1st Photo is tomato plant protected by a gallon milk container held in place by a dowel. Opening faces East. Will harden off plants and protect against frost. The opening can be made into a door by cutting just 3 sides. I have always used milk containers.

The 2nd photo is a turkey baster that I use to gently water seeds and seedlings.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9429343

That's really cleaver Blomma. I have found too that the tomatoes love warm water. I have some 5 gallon jugs that I fill with water and let warm for a few days (rotating them) and water the plants. They do so much better with that. But, I noticed when I had to finally quit 'cause I couldn't handle them any more, the plants really showed that they didn't like that cold water on their feet from the hose. Even tho they were pretty big plants by that time.

I'm on well water so I don't use water from the hot water tank. I have 5 or 6 jugs that I keep filled. Works great until the plants get so big they need a lot more water than I can handle.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9429415

My start date for tomatoes is St Patricks Day. I usually get my first tomatoes early to mid July.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2013
10:01 PM

Post #9429492

Boy, I don't know how you all get ripe tomatoes in July. Don't you have those cold Junes like I do?

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2013
4:39 AM

Post #9429583

I guess not. Last year we had a heat wave for a couple of weeks in early June, in the 90's, then it went to the 70's. It was so hot I could barely move outside, even in the shade. It's different every year, though. Who knows what will happen this year...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9429702

True for me...there is no way to predict the weather. Most of the time we have late snow, but last year it was a warm spring. I will try a few early, and keep some in reserve if they get too cold.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 25, 2013
9:31 PM

Post #9431876

Last year we had no spring. It went from winter to summer. My irises bloomed in May instead of June.

Tomatoes can be covered if frost is threatened. I always did sow extras.

I don't grow them anymore but when I did I wanted them in the ground early. I used early bearing types. The days are not from sowing but from the time they are planted in the ground so size don't matter.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9432397

What good does it do to plant them in the ground if the ground is so cold they can't even stretch their roots out into the soil? If it doesn't even get up to 50 degrees they are just going to sit there. Better off to keep them in the house but they have to be potted in larger, deeper pots and that takes room.

A short time doesn't hurt, but for a whole month, that doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I am wrong?
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9432558

Mine grow right away when it put them in the ground. They've been growing in the mini greenhouse for at least a couple of weeks by then. I put up the hoops and frost blanket a few days before I plant. Sometimes I out jugs of water under there too, that heat up during the day and help at night. But they do grow even though its before they are supposed to.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9432796

What do you plant them with Pam? Do you give them a shot of anything, like B12 or Superthrive?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9432811

Some plants take the lower temperatures with that technique , others will not , so ,so, many types , that's why... Have had a few fruits as early as June Last years August was disappointing ..
Most of my cherry types like hot weather , seems so do the Beefsteak types , intermediate types seem to take that technique well , usually...

I had a plant last year that took half a dozen frosts , grew almost four feet in about three days as the temperature was preferable , still it took forever for the fruit to ripen as they set ,like six weeks or so ..

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 26, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9432888

[quote="Jnette"]What good does it do to plant them in the ground if the ground is so cold they can't even stretch their roots out into the soil? If it doesn't even get up to 50 degrees they are just going to sit there... [/quote]

When it is cold, there won't be growth on top of soil, nor will a tomato plant set buds. However growth will occur under ground. Roots will continue to grow and the plant will already have been harden off and established when warm weather comes. That is where I gain time. The older and larger a plant gets in the house, the longer it takes for it to become established when planted in the garden.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9433098

Some years I dig in manure in the fall, but this year I didn't get to it. There was a new brand last spring of a mix of compost and aged manure, I might use that, or maybe just my own compost if I have time to deal with it that early.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

February 26, 2013
8:12 PM

Post #9433131

We have just the opposite problem here. We need to get the tomatoes in the ground early in order to get the roots down deep. We start the tomato in a deep hole and as the tomato grows taller, we fill in the hole. In the end, that helps the tomato withstand the high temperatures with the roots deep. We also use the covered hoops but that is to keep the wind off the plants. I use my own compost.

}
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2013
8:53 PM

Post #9433152

Found journal entry for 2011:

5/13- "Tomatoes planted today, 1 shovel compost, mulch in depression around stem, plastic on top then mulch, frost blanket over hoops."

I had a little green tomato by early June that year. Last year I got a later start. Much of May was cold, night temps 30's and 40's, highs only to mid 60's, then it warmed up with a vengeance. They went in Memorial Day weekend during a heat wave.

Pics 1-3 are from 2011.

Pics 4 & 5 from last year.

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2013
8:57 PM

Post #9433153

.I always plant deep, stripping the lower leaves, leaving only the top tuft above ground. Last year I had manured the bed in the fall, but still added compost.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 11:58 PM

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 26, 2013
9:38 PM

Post #9433170

[quote="WormsLovSharon"]We have just the opposite problem here. We need to get the tomatoes in the ground early in order to get the roots down deep. We start the tomato in a deep hole and as the tomato grows taller, we fill in the hole. In the end, that helps the tomato withstand the high temperatures with the roots deep. We also use the covered hoops but that is to keep the wind off the plants. ...}[/quote]

That is a great idea. Will tell my daughter since I don't grow veggies anymore. She does plant deep but never dug a deep hole. Her soil is very sandy and she adds lots of rotted horse manure from their 6 horses. The soil still dries out quick.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2013
9:46 PM

Post #9433176

Use the stem and stack over method myself , Have gotten a few large tomato plants that way . This was taken 12 Feb. bigger now but it will all be underground come planting time .

Thumbnail by juhur7

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2013
9:58 PM

Post #9433181

blomma, are you saying that even tho the ground is cold from the ice and snow, the plants are going to grow roots in it when it is so cold? I know the tops don't do anything, but I sure didn't see anything that looked like the roots were doing anything either. Poor things looked awful and I had them in a plastic covered framework on the deck. Bigger than the 4 tier one. They sat there the whole month of June when it was so cold.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2013
10:04 PM

Post #9433184

You could try the insulated electric pipe wrap around a water or oil filled pipe buried 6 or so inches deep to warm the soil
Just use a timer and allow to be on at night , That should of been heating cable , unless your pipe wrap has a manual setting it won't turn on until freezing> to late ,,
Care to guess how I learned that!lol

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 2:08 AM

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 26, 2013
11:19 PM

Post #9433205

[quote="Jnette"]blomma, are you saying that even tho the ground is cold from the ice and snow, the plants are going to grow roots in it when it is so cold? I know the tops don't do anything, but I sure didn't see anything that looked like the roots were doing anything either. Poor things looked awful and I had them in a plastic covered framework on the deck. Bigger than the 4 tier one. They sat there the whole month of June when it was so cold. [/quote]

LOL, not that cold. There is no ice or snow when they go in the ground. May 1, is usually pretty nice. Chance of frost until end of May but it is worth the risk. My daughter's sandy soil don't usually freeze. Also, each spring and summer are different.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9433561

Well, I may have been exaggerating a bit, but if the temps haven't gotten any warmer than 50 degrees then the ground isn't going to get that warm either. But, I had those plants out there for a month during June, and they honestly had not done any more with their roots than when I put them out there.

Our months of June have been like that the last 2 years. I just hope it is not a trend.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9433581

I guess we all have to work with what our experience tells us about our micro climates.

Last year we had a warm winter, snow April 1, then very warm, then out of nowhere, 2 weeks with below freezing night temps at the beginning of May that killed all the buds on flowering trees. We had no apples, almost no lilacs :-(((

But after that, it got HOT!!! Go figure...

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 27, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9433986

Jnette Don't forget that growing a plant in a pot is colder than in the soil. The tomato plants were protected with the milk jug. Also, I had mulch around the early planted tomato plants.

As mentioned, they did great above ground when the temp rose. I had nothing to lose, but early tomatoes to gain and I did. I always sowed more than I needed. I planted the rest end of May but they didn't produce as early as those planted earlier.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2013
10:25 PM

Post #9434219

Well, I want to try planting my tomatoes in E-buckets this year. Have any of you done that? Don't know if they would be colder or not. 5 gallon??

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9436601

Hi guys I've been so busy that I've been MIA. WoW! new arrivals to the thread and everyone has been busy posting pix. Love it. I have not done any winter sowing this year because I have been so busy and our weather has been weird. I hate dragging that stuff in the house, would rather wait for a warm day to do outside. Often the stuff I use have black widows under the bags and possibly eggs so I choose not to drag them in this year since I've already found that to be true this particular year.
I will probably plant my bread poppies this week here or at the other house, but I heard a hard freeze is coming again. This week is supposed to be record breaking heat though. So I am apprehensive. This is a tricky time in the high desert. If I put them in a good easy to transfer container I may have luck, just popping them in the ground as WS. POPPIES HATE TO BE DISTURBED OR MOVED.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9436680

We are all going crazy tryinig to out guess the weather. I finally got 87 cuttings from several different (about 12 to be exact) Hybrid Schlumbergera Truncata CC and I am just praying I did not get them too wet since the sun has not come out for a week to stay and dry things out, but the heat from when it did come out does dry some, to water only the dry ones is impossible so I know some are too wet. I am not watering everyday either. The humidity is holding about 35 to 40 deg. and I am just keeping my fingers crossed. I have six more plants to cut, plus the jasmine and black pussy willow but it is just too cold for the willow and the jasmine I did cut look like hell, so I am just holding off cutting anymore.

See you all later. Just wanted to drop in and say Hi. I have to feed my birds and dog. Hugs. JB
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9436922

Dawn, so good to hear from you. What do you do about the BW? Those are so bad. We had tons of them in Moses Lake, the middle of the state, when my daughter was born. My husband was in the Air Force there and my mom came over from Spokane to help me when she was born. But, the day we got home from the hospital with her there was a BW on the wall above her bassinet where we were going to put her. And then the next morning there was one on the towel my mom was drying her face with, and one had a web stretched across the bathroom door I felt it in the middle of the night when I went to the bathroom. My mom freaked out and we had to take the baby and go to Spokane and stay at her house for a while. :0)

JB, is there any possible way you can put hydrogen peroxide in the water when you water them? That would take care of any excess water. Jen

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 2, 2013
9:34 PM

Post #9437046

Dawn, I figured you would be in Phoenix for NASCAR. So nice to have you drop in.

I have been trying to get a goldfish plant to root but it has been in the water for over a month. Still alive but no roots. I have to trim some of the existing plant tomorrow to facilitate it getting thicker. I have used hydrogen peroxide in the water and change it weekly.

I have a kentia palm indoor plant that was given to me over a year ago. It was placed into a coffee bean bag. It has grown wonderfully. It has been in the laundry room by the south facing window. Nice warm room, a small amount of humidity from the dryer and a lot of light. I want to report it and put it somewhere I will see it but I am really afraid to move it.

Have a great Sunday. I think there is a question in there somewhere. Sharon
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2013
10:15 PM

Post #9437069

I have put a couple of cuttings of Devil's Wing Begonia in water in the kitchen window and neither one have rooted. Maybe I need to put them in potting mix instead. Oh well. Come spring I will cut the big plant off and repot it. Should do better if I do.

Bob bought some peppermint oil to keep the mice out of the trunk of my car. It was fairly expensive 'cause it wasn't extract. It was the real thing. I am going to put some on cotton balls and put them in my houseplants to keep the cats out of them. Darned animals anyway.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 2, 2013
10:48 PM

Post #9437080

Jnette<
Try putting moth flakes or moth balls on the soil to keep your cat away. Works on dogs also. May work for the mice in your trunk too.

I used to spread it around my evergreens when I lived in Massachusetts without a fence. It kept male dogs away from marking on MY territory.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9437358

[quote="Jnette"]

JB, is there any possible way you can put hydrogen peroxide in the water when you water them? That would take care of any excess water. Jen

[/quote]

Jen, I lost you, I am sorry, I do not understand what you are referring to. Sorry.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9437555

Hi JB, you said some of your plants may not need more water but it was impossible to water each separately. I do not know how you water them, but just wondering if it were possible to add HP to the water when you do water them, then it wouldn't matter if you got too much water in some. Or, do you water each pot with a hose? Then the answer would not be, "No".

How many plants did you say you have? Was it 87 total? But think you said that was cuttings. Still a lot of plants.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2013
12:23 PM

Post #9437561

JB, Just wondering if it were possible to put in some kind of watering system like maybe drip etc. Would be a wonderful Mother's Day gift you could hint at. It really wouldn't be that expensive if your daughter and son in law did the work, and it is not that difficult. Nor, does it take long. You could even do the cutting of the tubing. :0)

My daughter did hers on her deck. May not have had quite as many as you do, but sure did have a lot.

Jen

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9437629

Now I understand Jen. I have hundreds of plants in the GH, just now there are 87 new Christmas Cactus cuttings on the one side plus the ones I did not sell that are a year old and some stock plants I am holding on to , the jasmine, and other tropicals are on the other side of the GH and they are all watered with hose. Some a lot , some not so much, but to answer your question about the peroxide, I have never thought of using that to soak up water. ????? How does that work? I put it in water when I take cuttings to keep the water clean sometimes. Or are you saying it will keep the soil from getting sour? and the plants from rotting?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2013
4:00 PM

Post #9437801

All of the above except soaking up the water. No, it puts oxygen in the water. It would keep the water clean longer for your cuttings. Yes, keeps the soil cleaner also. Does a lot of things, but if you are watering with the hose I don't know how you would put it in the water when you do that. Gosh, if I had that many plants I would sure figure out an easier way of watering. Like maybe long trays and then empty them with a drain plug?

LOL, don't mind me, just letting my imagination run wild. My cat is trying to eat something in the soil of my begonia. I have to fix some cotton balls for my plants. ttyl, jen
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2013
9:15 PM

Post #9438009

Black Widows are a problem here, but I don't think I have had one in this house, inside, but out in the sheds and under the house, good grief, I can only imagine. If I see any more, this early I will have the house and yard sprayed this year.

You know my dogs developed a horrid reverse sneeze, that sounded like they were dying from the moth balls we put out to repel the neighbors cats from walking on our Mustang. We dug them up and it went away but one of them kept having them for a year or so after, but not nearly like they were.

I did some stuff, planted the bread poppies in Tehachapi, but not here yet? Did a lot of prep stuff and dug up my drip lines accidentally so dh has to repair them. Separated some Iris's and a few other things. I'm exhausted now.

Our next door neighbors in Tehachapi, go to our same church so we sit with them when we go out there, it is nice that we are bonding with them. They send us pictures of how bad it is when it snows, so we know not to come up.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9438880

Have you checked into that Dawn? Last I heard, there is no spray that will kill them. Many years ago my dad put one in a fruit jar and put straight 2,4,D or DDT, can't remember which, in there on it, and it knocked the spider out, but after a few hours it started moving again and woke up.

They may have something now. Let me know if you find one.

What did you dig up? The dog or the mothballs? And, if the mothballs, where did you put them in the first place that you dug them up? Are you saying they are a plant???? Seriously, you really confused me on this Dawn.

Yes, that is really nice to start out with friends at your place in Tahachapi. How thoughtful of them to send the pictures.
Sound like very nice folks.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 4, 2013
9:23 PM

Post #9439139

Do not feel bad Dawn. It is not hard to confuse Jen. No sun for a long time will do that to your brain.

And I agree with Jen. You have lucked out with your new neighbors.

I had quite a few seeds left over from Evelyn that she sent when I was into blue flowers. I sowed them at the end of the summer last year. Some in pots and some just helter skelter. Should be interest to see, if anything, comes up.

I have pink oxalis blooms in two different areas and of curse, yellow is everywhere. But they die down when it gets hot so they are not really a problem.

Later, Sharon
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2013
10:32 PM

Post #9439153

Oh Jen for goodness sakes. I sprinkled the moth ball crystals in the ground outside of our fence but the dogs used to go within a few feet of the other side of the fence and started honking and sounding like they had kennel cough. It was the only new thing that I'd recently done new or different to have both dogs reacting. I could smell them so I know how keen their sense of smell was, so I took a little shovel in the gravel and scooped up the crystals that I could and tossed them in the trash.

Keep up with me woman.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 4, 2013
11:26 PM

Post #9439165

helln zn11
Don't know why your dogs had problems from moth flakes. I used moth flakes to I train my German Shephard when she was a puppy to stay away from my houseplants that was within her reach in the house. Also used it outside to train her where I didn't want her to go, and to keep male dogs away from my evergeens.

It worked great. Didn't seem to bother her. She just stayed away where I put it.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9439374

Dawn, it sounds to me like your dog was allergic to the odor of the mothballs and that would make him/her cough.

Today I am heading for the Greenhouse to plant Jasmine cuttings and goldfish cuttings. That is it and I was hoping to cut some black pussy willow before the snow, but I doubt that will happen. It is due here tomorrow night and I have only today to work outside. The rain prior to the snow is iffy. I am just on the edge of the storm so I am not sure if I will get rain or snow.

Take care everyone. I will be back when I can. Hugs.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9439578

Sorry Dawn, I have never used Mothballs. Why didn't you say flakes. Then I would have at least known something about them. Maybe I thought you pulled the balls off of the moths. :0) TRY THAT ONE ON SHARON!! SO THERE!

Good to know Blomma. If the peppermint oil on the cottonballs don't work to keep the cats out of my houseplants, I will try them. Would much rather smell the peppermint tho, I think. I really have smelled the mothballs in woolens that my mom would put away for the summer when I was very young.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 5, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9439600

Well starting your day off with a belly laugh is a good thing. Thanks Jen. If you gets those balls off those moths, please post photos.

I had a good night sleep last night. When I woke up the inside of my mouth was actually stuck together.

I only have pain when I lay down or move quickly to the side. I finally tried sleeping with a pillow between my legs. I could sleep on the side of the injury. Sleeping on the other side, set the spasms off. Wow, what an experience this has been.

I have a board meeting tonight so I might as well get moving and do something. Have a great day. Hugs, Sharon

PS. JB, I see you are propagating gold fish plants. How do you do it? I am failing...

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
11:13 AM

Post #9439631

Sharon, I cut them when they are finished blooming and start them in water. When the roots get long enough, about an inch or more, I plant them in the regular potting soil. My plant is still blooming, but the woman that does my bird grooming brings me her cuttings she starts in water. The small plants take a lot of water. In fact, I sometimes just fill the try and let them sit in it depending on the greenhouse heat. Hope that helps. JB
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2013
12:21 PM

Post #9439712

Need a new thread guys.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 5, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9439759

Jen, go back to sleep.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
2:49 PM

Post #9439885

If Amanda does not do it tomorrow I will. I do not have time now. Hugs. Nite. JB

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 5, 2013
10:21 PM

Post #9440263

I came across information regarding pollinating irises that I saved in Word. There was a tip in there that I had missed. Instead of Peroxide, the writer who produces 1500 irises from seeds every year, uses bleach. It is 10 parts water to 1 part bleach .Here is how he does it.

"... the seeds are covered with a 10 % solution of bleach for 1/2 hour. (10% solution created by mixing 1 part bleach with 10 parts water) Pour off the beach solution and rinse quickly with water a couple of times. The bleach treatment is to reduce the mould population that will want to grow on the wet seeds during the next stage, which is refrigeration (stratification)"

I don't have any problems with iris seeds, just daylily seeds sometimes. The bleach bath would work with any seeds. I have a few seeds that hasn;t sprouted and they will have a bath tomorrow.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2013 11:26 PM

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2013
9:57 AM

Post #9440759

HANG ON TO YOUR HATS...WE ARE MOVING TO HERE:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1301316/

PLEASE REMEMBER TO CHECK IN SO WE KNOW WE HAVE EVERYONE WITH US.
georgiacat
Homer, GA

June 14, 2013
6:16 AM

Post #9558583

Amanda
just ran across your new thread. If you are growing plants for wildlife- BIRDS- try Victory Pyracantha plants,easy starters,fast growers,lovely spring blooms and loaded in
fall with a wealth of berries that the birds will clean off in days.
my place used to be Cardinal heaven,however with an increase ,in mocking bird pop and the arrival of a family of feral cats (controling my mole pop) i now have fewer cardinals and finches and no moles.
if you are good with cuttings and are ever in the area,you are welcome to some. Later in fall,i am about to leave for Alaska for the summer.

Georgiacat
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2013
10:47 PM

Post #9563001

Do they root easily in Fall? I have one big one, the one with the orange berries, not red, but I never get it to root. I have tried late summer, fall and spring. It makes it until a cold snap.
georgiacat
Homer, GA

June 18, 2013
5:50 AM

Post #9563172

The two plants i have are the red berry type,i do not think there is any difference between the red and orange other than color. mine were started plants.Regarding rooting,i am a novice when it comes to propagation.I have recently built a propagation chamber and am waiting for results.Used a
few cuttings from my chinese snowball shrubs,If this works
i would be happy to send instructions and photos if i can figure out how to put photos on dave,s site.I have a good selection of plants that will be ready in the fall.If you like i can email you a photo of my pyracantha in full bloom.

gerogiacat
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9563492

I have an orange one and the birds will not touch the berries. Don't know why. The robin builds her nest right in the middle of them and does not eat them. Any idea why??? This plant sends up new plants all around it. Good healthy rooted plants. I have to keep cutting them off. I have given them away. I have it planted on a trellis on the house if that is a clue.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2013
10:05 AM

Post #9563521

This thread was moved in March to this link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1301316/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 296 Sep 15, 2014 6:06 PM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America