Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Think Spring! Seed Swapping DISCUSSION for Feb. 16 swap

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 188, Views: 1,185
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9388384

This thread is in relation to the "Think Spring!" seed swap party in Frederick on Saturday, Feb. 16, 2013. See this thread for event details: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292205/#new

Here is where we can chat about seeds we have, seeds we're looking for, etc. You can also arrange trades on this thread (or via D-mail).

It is not necessary to arrange a single trade in advance for the swap, but it can be useful. Swap discussions are also handy for gauging interest in a particular kind of seed, so when you're packaging seeds you know if you should make up 6 packets or 26.

As I've done in the past, I'll put together a tray of "goodie bags" with names on them. This makes it really easy for you to earmark seeds for a particular person and just drop them into that person's bag when you arrive. Nametags will be near the goodie bags -- please use them! I'll also have seed baggies, label slips, and pencils for any last-minute dividing and sharing, but you'll want to do as much labeling in advance as possible so that doesn't cut into your swapping & chatting time.

Let's post our "have" and "want" lists on a separate thread here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294097/ If we make just one post per person on another thread, our lists will be easy to find. Sometimes these trading/discussion threads get pretty busy!

The thread for sign-up and other swap details is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292205/

Thumbnail by critterologist
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2013
1:46 PM

Post #9388385

reserved for FAQ or other administrative details
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9388394

non-seed items so far (from me) include
Black industrial Sharpie markers 75 cents
Silver or Gold metallic Sharpie markers $1.50
Polymer moisture crystals, medium (regular size)

The industrial Sharpies hold up far better to UV and other outside conditions. I haven't yet found a time limit to their legibility, and I've been using them several years. The metallic ones are great for writing on black or dark green nursery pots and generally remain legible for 2 or 3 years, even in my very sunny conditions. If you buy Sharpies singly, they'll go for more like $2 each, sometimes more; these prices are lower because I can get them in boxes of 12 and sets of 4, respectively.

The polymer moisture crystals are fabulous, IMO. Much cheaper to order in bulk from Watersorb.com, so that's what we'll do. Final cost per pound will depend on how much is ordered. I'll pack into quart or gallon freezer bags. For more information, see this DG article: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1092/

Let me know if you're interested and how many markers or pounds of crystals you want. I'll probably order a big box of medium crystals, but I can get a few pounds of small, large, or powder if there's interest (it'll be more $ per pound but still a good deal).

Anybody who is ordering seeds that they think will be delivered before the swap -- please consider posting to see if anybody wants just a packet or two from the same place, so we can all stretch our shipping $.

Thanks!!

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9389033

Who was it that bought the cactus mix to the swap at Sallys'? I would like to know what was in the mix so I can make some up, seems my cats don't want to munch on cacti and succulents. :^)
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9389051

Hi Catbird, that was me.

And my cat was the reason I got into succulents in the first place! She'll gobble up anything that looks leafy (and get sick of course, but that never seems to deter her).

The recipe is Al's ("tapla" in the forums here and on gardenweb.com) gritty mix. It's 1/3 Turface; 1/3 grower's size chicken grit with the dust washed off; and 1/3 pine bark fines that have been screened to between 1/8 and 3/8 inches. There's also some lime and time-release fertilizer. I find it easy now, but it took a little while to get all the ingredients and screens ready.

I'll make more for the spring swap, but I don't have any right. It's just too darn cold to be sitting outside for a couple of hours screening this stuff. DH always asks me if I'm "prospecting for gold" when I get the screens out. :)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9389072

I'm on the fence now, just found out the SO is off for the weekend which happens once in a blue moon. If I can't make it I'd love to distribute seeds I have.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9389377

Could we have a volunteer to be Terp's "seed fairy" so he can participate by mail if he can't make it?

This is how "seed fairy" works, just for general info of course because we're hoping to see both Terp & SO!

If you can't make it to the swap but still want to participate, send your seeds to your "seed fairy" in a bubble envelope, with at least $2 for return postage and your address. Seeds marked for particular people will be dropped in the goodie bags by your "seed fairy," and the rest can just be put in a box to pass around. Similarly, you'll have a goodie bag where people can put seeds you requested or ones they think you'd like. The contents of your goodie bag will be put into your bubble envelope and mailed back to you by your "seed fairy" after the swap.

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9389532

Terp, I could be your "seed fairy!" I think you mentioned that my place was close to your SO's, so you could just drop them off at my place. If not, you could mail me your seeds.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2013
3:56 PM

Post #9389550

Wow that'd be great!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9389932

Catbird- I have not used my gritty mix. You can have it, about enough to fill a large 'baby wipes' tub which is what I stored it in.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2013
11:42 AM

Post #9392509

I love that mix. Can't thank SSG enough for making it.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2013
11:50 AM

Post #9392514

Not sure what I will have in the way of seeds to bring dear JR knocked down several open containers of seeds I had sitting on the kitchen table. We did pick up most of them but really not too sure what is what now. Really my fault instead of picking them up and putting them in a safer place I just pushed them down to the lower end of the table and too close to the edge. I can bring Black Pussywillow cuttings that I will hand out in the parking lot if anyone would like them.
I am looking for Hyacinth Bean Vine seeds I get a ton of seeds from my vines but they don't seem to get mature before the frost gets them.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
1:10 PM

Post #9392624

Holly---I have tons of Hyacinth Bean seeds. Got them from a woman at work last year.

They will be in my box. Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9392628

"Holly and Ric's Gala Seed Mix" LOL

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
1:46 PM

Post #9392671

Holly, I'm thinkin what sally is thinkin - just leave them mixed up, could be lots of fun trying to id what sprouts up - "Holly and Ric's Gala Surprise Surprise Seed Mix" LOL.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9392761

"Holly and Ric's Gala Surprise Surprise Seed Mix" JR's Special Blend !
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9392763

Sounds like fun to me. You can sign me up for pussy willow cuttings.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9392884

Thanks Gita, I think I got the ones I grew this past year from you at last years seed swap. Really so frustrating all those pods filled with immature seeds.
Ok Paul, Have you down for some.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9392934

Terp, does this mean you're blowing off your SO and coming after all? I don't know whether to be happy or to shake my head going tch tch tch at you.

Holly, I'm happy to report that I finally had 2 Black Pussy Willow cuttings take! I got these from you at the seed swap last year. Here's what I did with them: The day after the swap, I saw it had warmed up enough that I could shove a 2x2 stake into one of my foundation beds. I made a narrow hole, then trickled a teaspoon of moisture crystals down into it. Then I gently pushed the cutting down into the dirt as far as I could (it was pretty wet/soft once I got past the cold upper layer). Tamped down the dirt around it and crossed my fingers.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
6:46 PM

Post #9392949

Holly---

I know i don't have to tell you this...but if you soak the beans for a few days till they sprout--
They will germinate a lot faster...I tried growing them one year--and they sure are slow.
Just do the wet paper towel and baggie thing...

I never have much luck with the bigger seeds--like H. Bean, Moon Flower, etc...
They seem to bloom so late! maybe they need to be started in the house like NOW--
and then gently transplanted out. Being a "bean"--they probably do not like to be moved...
G.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9392997

The Hyacinth beans in Sally's garden looked beautiful last year. I was thinking about growing some, but the the resident rabbit would be having bean sprouts for dinner... :-(

This message was edited Jan 22, 2013 12:03 AM

Thumbnail by donnerville

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9392999

Donnerville, would you please save one of your dahlia tubers for Joyanna's Fairy Garden planter? She'd love it. Thanks!

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9393027

Jill, yes. I will keep a few for her.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2013
8:11 PM

Post #9393067

Gita, I have good luck getting them to germinate and grow. I get a ton of bean pods but most of them never reach maturity and I never seem to have good seeds for the next year. Maybe just not a long enough growing season.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2013
8:41 PM

Post #9393170

Thanks, Donner-Sally!

Holly, I ended up bringing a couple Japanese Morning Glory vines inside so the pods could finish ripening, same sort of problem... Glad Gita has a stash of them to share! I have some to plant for this year, so we'll see if I have just that little bit longer before first frost here.

I'm looking around at various "deals" on bulbs, bare root plants, etc. Anybody into Gladiolus? Crocosmia? For example, we can get 20 bags of "assorted" glads, 50 in a bag, for about $6 including shipping to me. That's a deal! Named glads are also a great price from the same seller (a couple dollars more per 50), but they have to be bought in trays of 500, or in pre-determined "collections" of several varieties. Crocosmia priced out at 50 cents/bulb, maybe a little less depending on variety.

I know a couple other folks were interested in lilies, especially the yummy smelling oriental ones. Oriental lilies and Orienpets (Oriental Trumpet hybrids) look like they're averaging $1.20 to $1.40 per bulb including shipping, but again we're talking about ordering in quantity (bags of 25), so think $6 or so for 5 bulbs of a given variety.

If there's interest in the above spring-planted bulbs, I'll start another thread for a group buy. They start shipping March 1, so we should be able to sort/distribute at the spring swap.

I'm also trying to figure out when this company's magical time is for pre-ordering fall planted bulbs and getting free shipping, because I'm thinking "daffodil group buy!" (This is a company I've dealt with, but since pricing info is only available to their wholesale customers, I don't think I should say which company on a public thread... I'm skirting around it as it is, I think, by posting "at cost" prices.)

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2013
8:55 PM

Post #9393190

Jill, I'd be in for any Oriental and Orienpet lilly order. What are you doing up this late?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2013
9:10 PM

Post #9393200

LOL I'm heading up to bed soon, mother! You should do the same... :-)

I'm all excited, because they have OT 'Satisfaction', which I think is the one Hart said did so well for her.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9393493

Jill--

What catalog are you ordering from--the Lilies, that is? So I could see what they have.
I would be interested in the Orienpet (oriental?) lily "Honeymoon" No more than 4.
If you are ordering some other, similar ones, please let me know.

I used to have these--bought them from someone (Beauty from Bulbs??) but they have now died out.
I did not see this variety in the B, from B. catalog. They almost looked like "Casablanca"...
They were in a not so good a place. I moved them. Now I have my Lilies in a full sun bed and would
like these again. Waiting to see how the Regale Lilies will do after the move this spring.

I LOVE Crocosmias--but have never had any luck them wintering over. Should these be dug up?

Tried finding the "Honeymoon" Lily pic. No luck. Gita

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9393859

Gita, I'll Dmail you tonight. And I'll check for 'Honeymoon' or one with similar coloring. They do have 'Regale' -- I loved its ruffles! an improvement on Casa Blanca IMO. As I said, 25 per bag, so we'll have to drum up enough interest in the varieties we want, or be willing to buy more (these prices are 1/3 the cost, or better, of what I've seen elsewhere for 16/18 cm bulbs).

I haven't grown crocosmias before, but I want some. They should be hardy for us, but I'm not sure if they like wet or dry during winter dormancy. We'll learn about them!

I wanted to see if anybody wanted to get in on an order from Summerhill Seeds. She's always got interesting varieties, and I'm pretty close already to spending the minimum for free shipping, so just assume no additional cost for s/h. :-)
http://summerhillseeds.com/ Please Dmail me with what you want to order.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
2:02 PM

Post #9393914

Jill--

Many, many moons ago--probably not too much after we moved into this house (19690)
my Cousin on Oregon (they have the most amazing gardens there!) sent me some Montbratia bulbs.
That was my first go at them. They grew well ans lived for a few years--then disappeared.

Fast forward to 2 years ago--I bought some in a small packet (small bulbs as well_ and planted
them in my Yuk bed. I did see them coming up in the spring--but that was about it.

You have much better soil in your beds and, hopefully, they would make it in your garden.
After Terp comes and digs up my WS shrub--I will have that small round bed to plant my Dr. Seuss in
which will free uo a lot of the bed I have been growing it in so far.
Then I can try to grow the Montbratias there. maybe i will have more luck. I am assuming that Crocosmia and Montbratia are one and the same. There may be different varieties??

easytogrowbulbs.com/g-35-crocosmia-planting-guide.aspx

http://clark.wsu.edu/volunteer/mg/gm_tips/Crocosmia.html
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9393987

Yes to different varieties... I love 'Lucifer' whenever I see it, and there's also a lemon yellow one that I like and a couple of orangish ones that I can do without (but that's just me).

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9394595

Sally, I would love to take the gritty mix off your hands. I need to set up a little nursery for the succulent babies that have started from dropped pieces.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9394988

Let me locate it,Catbird, and you can stop by anytime!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9395054

Anybody out there crafty? I have a box of thread multiple colors. Look at picture. I'll bring/send it to the seed swap.

Thumbnail by UMD_Terp

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9395177

I could use some of the colors for sewing. Not all!

Will have to go downstairs and see what i am out of. Navy blue is one of them...
Then--pick what I need at the Swap.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9395330

I'll take whatever no one else wants. I've been sewing for the grandies and their dolls. Anything leftover is great! Tha k you, Paul
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9395361

Awesome, glad they can be used. Done deal!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9395381

Paul--How did all these threads come to be in your possession?
I am sure you did now sew your own clothes...
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2013
7:04 PM

Post #9395422

Gitagal wrote:Paul--How did all these threads come to be in your possession?

A friend of a friend was doing some early spring winter cleaning.

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2013
6:43 PM

Post #9396673

Looking for Morning Glory seeds (any kind), also sweet pea seeds (any kind). I have the hot pink ones that are very hardy. Thanks. Also, any seeds of tropicals.

Sure, would live a cutting or two of goldfish & Jasmine cutting or two and any morning glory seed (no matter how old) would be welcome. I still have that Alsobia you gave me, Critter, but it is in a closed terrarium in my kitchen window. It has never bloomed, but is growing like a weed. Maybe when we start getting more sunny days & the greenhouse stays warmer, I can start some cuttings to see if it would bloom in the greenhouse.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2013 10:33 AM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9396723

Buttoneer--

I have several kinds of Morning Glories. Some of the seeds are from past Swaps
that I have never planted. I do think they stay viable for a long time.

I have not grown Grandpa Ott MG's in years--and they are still coming up every year in my bed.

What do you consider a "Tropical"? Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
7:30 PM

Post #9396738

Buttonneer, I think I still have a sealed foil packet of Strelitzia seeds- want em?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2013
7:30 PM

Post #9396739

We've got a Japanese Morning Glory Mix that we'll be posting on our Haves list, and I think there are also plenty of seed pods still on the Grandpa Otts that grew outside our morning room window this summer (no other "regular" MGs near, so I'm sure they'll come true).

I just need to do a quick estimate of how many packets we'll have of various things, and then I'll start a list on the other thread. I keep getting distracted... LOL

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9396767

jill, your pine tree seeds came today.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2013
11:05 AM

Post #9397255

Yippee!

I had an exchange with Robin at Summer Hill seeds yesterday. The free shipping offer that Terp & I just ordered with has ended, but she said she'd be posting some more new seeds, probably next week, and there would be another free shipping offer then. She has a knack for finding really cool seeds. So, go ahead and browse and get your wish list ready! I'll post when the offer comes in. http://www.summerhillseeds.com/

I'm going to start a separate thread to see if anybody is interested in ordering gladiolus corms. I'm assuming they can be delivered in time for whatever date they set for the spring swap, but we'll see what they say. We might do some lilies, too, checking into them. I'm also asking if it's OK to post some prices along with the link to the company I'm considering. More info should be coming soon! :-)

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9397263

Jill, a separate thread for ordering spring bulbs will be great. I would love to have some oriental lilies. Thanks.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9397278

That sounds great Jill.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9397303

OK. I'll wait until I get a little more info, then get it underway. Right now, I need to go play a rousing game of "Candyland."
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9397367

Sally, sure I'll take the Strelitzia & thanks much. p.s. remember that snake plant you gave me at Holly's swap? Well, I have another one & gonna take a piece off it & give it to you. It's similar to what you gave me but doesn't have the spots, just green on one side & dark red on the back of the leaf. And, yes, any morning glories would be more than welcome from anybody. I want to plant them on the fence around the vegetable garden this year & if they hybridize, all the more interesting. Gita, tropical is anything that is not hardy here, anything that grows in the tropics, including morning glories only we consider them annuals, not tropicals. Critter, I'll gladly take some Japanese MG Mix. Also, looking for sunflowers. I have mixed mine so will bring bags of that mix along, all colors.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2013 4:44 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9397459

ooh Buttoneer, you got a deal ! That other snake plant sounds awesome.
BTW, a 'houseplant aloe' offset you gave me couple years ago is really hitting its stride. Leaves are over a foot long, she's sharing a pot with a large leafed Motherof THousands, actually I think you were my source on that too.!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9397685

Buttoneer, would you (or anybody) like seeds of my night-blooming jasmine? Since I can bring some cuttings along pretty easily, I wasn't sure if anybody would even want seeds, but I've got some white berries maturing on the plant now just because I was curious about them. :-)

Also, I'll see if I still have a fat packet of mixed MG seeds that you could strew along your fence.. they're probably 5+ years old, but they should still be good, and I don't remember giving them away, so I'll look for 'em.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9397700

Jill, I would love to have some night-blooming jasmine cuttings. Is this the right season to root them? Or is it better if I wait till our spring plant swap?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9397775

Donner, I'll try to get some going, and I'll see. They rooted readily for me in fall. I think I'm going to stick cuttings of several things in 48-cell trays, dixie cups, whatnot... Maybe in potting mix, maybe just in damp sphagnum + moisture crystals. They should at least start rooting by swap time, and I can wrap the little root ball in press 'n seal just about as neatly as doing cuttings.

I bought a lovely "goldfish plant" gessie in fall, because it was just too pretty to resist (esp. at half price LOL). I cut it back by half last week and put dozens of cuttings in water (no time to pot them up; hopefully this weekend if I'm feeling better)... I can already see tiny white nubs that I think are roots starting to form. I also have dozens of offshoot plantlets (like spiders from a spider plant) on my Alsobia 'Cygnet' that I can snip off for anybody who doesn't have one going yet. It's a cutie. LMK!

My white variegated pothos is due for a trim, also... cuttings are easy to root, easy grower too. Red heartleaf philodendron has a few long trailers, also.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9397787

Oh, I love the goldfish plant. I used to have one, but gave it to a friend several years back when I kept going out of town (county) for long periods of time. It bloomed beautifully and the foliage was lovely too.

My Alsobia has also got buds on it now. It bloomed last year right before the seed swap, and it is doing it again. I should rename it "seed swap plant" :-). I gave Ruby quite a few cuttings last year. I wonder if they rooted for her.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9397921

I'd like a baby jasmine if possible and is the gold fish plant same as candy corn? Easy care? If its cake I'll try it as well.

I also have packets of morning glory seeds I think. Everything I have I'll bring which isn't much

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9398016

Paul, they do look similar, don't they? I don't think they are related though. They belong to different families and genera - you can find that information if you google them.

That said, the goldfish plant is very easy to look after. I don't remember doing much with the plant. Give it a bright spot in the house, and do not let it sit in soggy soil. It likes some humidity. I kept mime in a bathroom that had 2 big south-facing windows. Since it is difficult to provide a humidity tray for a hanging plant, at least make sure you keep it away from the AC vent. Well, dry air from AC vents is not good for any house plant anyway.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2013
11:35 AM

Post #9398226

OK! Lily group buy for Oriental & OT lilies is officially underway! See http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295595/
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2013
11:36 AM

Post #9398227

I'll see what I can do with cuttings/rootings of various plants... please post what you'd like, and I'll fill as many requests as I can!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2013
12:05 PM

Post #9398255

Critter, whatever you got (cuttingwise & seedwise), I'll take & thanks in advance.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2013 4:02 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
6:44 PM

Post #9398605

Any interest in a group buy on pure suet cakes for bird feeding? Ronnie just gave a link, I am willing to order, with shipping they would be 2.50 each to you guys, I pay 3.49 at the one place I get them, most places sell the cakes with seed mixed in for around .89 to a dollar , but those don't last nearly as long for me.

dmail me if interested.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2013
7:28 PM

Post #9398661

Hey Critter, I would be interested in a bag of those polymer water crystals, too! Thanks, Button.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9398671

Buttoneer I located the Strellitzia seeds, they are not a foil packet but a paper one from Pinetree, 2 yrs old but you are very welcome to try them
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2013
8:10 PM

Post #9398700

That's a great price on the suet, Sally! Those 79 cent or 99 cent ones have so much seed in them, and it seems to be mostly millet or cracked corn. Joyanna and I still have a pretty good stash of "bird cookies" from making a huge batch of PB suet last year.

Got you on the moisture crystals, Buttoneer... LMK how many pounds. $7 for about a pound, and easiest to measure into 2 or 5 pound bags (quart or gallon freezer bags, as I recall). I need to see what shipping is on the 55 pound box, might be worth just going ahead and getting that much to have available for other swaps this year, especially as I think various family members are about out of it also.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
3:21 AM

Post #9398808

Buttoneer, thank you for the parsley offer! I'm going to wintersow them again this year. They had really great germination with that method.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9398985

I have some old MG seeds too. Never hurts to sow them in with the newer seeds.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9399113

I'll be posting some seeds soon. Many are the same as last year. And some "reshared" from last years swap takings. A few new entries. I'm sorry, it doesn't sound like much of a ''contribution.''

Here is link to last years Haves and Wants.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1237817/?hl=think spring

I will C/P my list from last year and edit; I thought this might be helpful to some of you too.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2013 1:24 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
11:38 AM

Post #9399173

Sally I don't have much either but we are coming mostly for the friendships. Oh and the food LOL
Going out to take cuttings from the Black Pussywillow, it's down right warm out there 32*.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9399427

I am hoping to finish getting all my seeds organized in the next couple of days.
I am almost there...Will post then. I am home all next week--NO hours, except Sunday.

Sally--great idea to c/p last year's list and then edit/correct.
Much easier than typing it all over again.
I have LOTS of seeds--so my list will be long. Maybe 10 are new.

Hmmm...Melampodiums are sold in Market packs--right? Easier to let someone else
do the germinating. I do love this plant. Have you ever grown it from seed?
How easily do these germinate and grow?

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
5:15 PM

Post #9399439

Melampodium is VERY easy to grow from seed, seeds are large ish and easy to handle. it self sows for me and I could share seedlings at later time as well. I didn't know they can be found in market packs.

Me too, coming to enjoy the company and food and few seeds is OK too.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9399479

OK then, Sally---will you give me a few seeds of the Melampodium, please?

OR--if it is better to have plants--I will be glad to wait till the Plant swap.
Thanks, G.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9399510

Sure, Gita, one or the other, I'll be sure.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9400727

sally, can you save me some Melampodium seeds, too? Thanks
Holly, can you save me a couple pussywillow branches>? Thanks, Judy

This message was edited Feb 6, 2013 8:26 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9400760

Yes sure!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9402427

Sally---

Just put up my list...read all other's too.
Would like to try to find a spot for some of your Amaranth "Hot Biscuit".

Also--just FYI---the triple purple/white Datura has been officially ID'd as: "Black Currant Swirl"
Now we can all have a name for it. Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9402432

Holly---

I came in on this late last year--but could you put aside a couple good cuttings
of the Black Pussy Willow for me?

Thanks, Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2013
4:21 AM

Post #9403455

Sure will Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9404792

Buttoneer--

I got you down for all you asked for. Do you want me to put them all in your bag that Jill always makes up?
Or--do you want to just look for all the seeds you wanted in my box?

The Stinking iris will only have 3 seeds in the package. There were not too many.
None of us know what this thing will really be like. Earlier last year--we had a small catch-up get-together
at sally's and I dug up a clump of this plant and took it down there. Both sally and Coleup got a piece--and they will
grow it out and see what's what.

This has been behind my bird bath for years. Out of sight--out of mind.
I remember--years ago--planting these small Lilly starts there thinking they were babies from my Tiger Lily,
which used to grow in that area. When I found some small starts right by the base of the Tiger Lily,
I naturally assumed they were babies from it. I dug them up and planted them in my Yuk bed. There they grew
to about 8"--and i decided to dig them up again, and plant them behind my concrete bird feeder thinking how pretty
it would look to have Tiger Lilies blooming above it.

Well--I never saw them bloom--and so pain no attention.
Last fall--as i was cleaning up some dead Lily foliage--I saw these big, open pods with bright orange,
pea sized seeds in them. WHOA!!! After a lot of postind and wondering what the heck this was--SallyG ID'd them
after Googling for them.

Right now--in all this cold--the leaves on these clumps are still green and upright. They are thin, sword-shaped
and kind of "sharp"...and coarse.
I will be eagle-eying this clump to see what the blooms look like this spring.

Here is the clump as it looks now. Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9405113

Gita, just put them in the bag with my name on it. That would be great! Thanks! Judy
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9405127

I have a request!

Does anyone have seeds for plants that are good *hosts* for butterfly eggs and caterpillars? I have flowers that the butterflies like but nothing for the other parts of their life cycle.

Something that tolerates wet clay and shade would be a great.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
1:50 PM

Post #9405135

I have some milkweed seeds this year - they are hosts for monarch butterfly eggs and caterpillars. I ordered several different kinds. I don't know much about their growing conditions, but I know greenthumb does and he will be at the swap. I'll set some aside for you.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
1:51 PM

Post #9405140

Thank you aspenhill! I heard butterflies liked parsley so I planted quite a few extra, but they were completely left alone.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9405150

ss--

SallyG has more Milkweed in her garden then us all combined.
Have her pull some up for you and bring it to the swap. Tese plants DO run rampant...
G.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9405323

ss- I can give you 'Swamp Milkweed' which should love those conditions and NOT run rampant, like the common one does.
Monarchs like milkweed. A swallowtail likes parsely and fennel.
THese and many other caterpillars are specific in their likes, but these two plants should get you some caterpillars.
Monarch cats seem to come pretty late in summer to me.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9405327

Sally, thank you for the offer! Good to know about the different types of butterflies and host plants.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9405705

I checked my milkweed seed packets. I have Pink Milkweed (Asclepias Syriaca), Showy Milkweed (Asclepias Speciosa), and Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias Incarnata). Saly, you said Swamp Milkweed doesn't run rampant, what about the other two kinds I have?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9405876

Oh, Sally, do you have any extra Asclepias Incarnata? I had never thought of growing it, but if you say it doesn't need full sun I'd love to try it!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9405933

Gita I would love some of your Datura--"Black Currant Swirl" and Datura--"triple yellow"

I'd be glad to take anything that goes to Roses we will see her at the swap. Also any thing else for anyone else that will be at Jan's May Swap.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9406219

aspenhill- incarnate def does not run, the other I would have to check, and syriaca runs like crazy.

happy, yes should be enough to share.I liked it but got a beetle infestation that seemed fatal after 3 years.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9406227

If you got a fatal beetle infestation, how do you have enough to share? Oh, you mean seeds. I get it. Think we'll get the same infestation?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9406229

critter gave me the seeds originally, wonder how it did for her.
Yeah if you pick off the beetles you can probably outlive them. THey are big round and chubby-cute , so I let them multiply! I never had them on A syriaca, just the swamp milkweed.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9406237

I'd better pass, then; my goal is plants that I don't have to baby. (I'm not against babying plants -- I just forget and then they die.)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9406263

ok, I really don't know if it was those beetles, or some other condition that did them in.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9406308

I don't think the beetles did mine in; they just failed to resprout one year. I put some "babies" out last fall; we'll see if they made it. I'm going to sow some more... I definitely like the Asclepias incarnata (which despite its common name doesn't need a swamp; they're tolerant of a wide range of conditions including pretty dang dry). Maybe they are just "short lived" perennials and I need to make sure to let them self-sow or grow replacements every couple of years.

Asclepias syriaca not only runs, it's also said to have a mongo taproot. I've avoided that one! I'm pretty sure A. tuberosa is usually tropical/tender, but it makes a pretty splash of summer color, and some say that butterflies prefer it. I've noticed butterflies tend to favor whatever you have that's blooming, LOL.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9406314

"butterflies tend to favor whatever you have that's blooming, LOL."
True but their babies are darn picky!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9406322

Yeah, but again, if you're serving up the only milkweed in town...

Anyway, I've definitely seen monarch cats on the A. incarnata (white blooms) when I had it. I'm trying to get both white and pink "going" out there again. Winter sowing last year was really disappointing... maybe not enough winter? If Punxy Phil is right, I might have to stratify some seeds in the -- gasp -- freezer. LOL

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9406328

I simply wish to clarify to ssgardener that milkweed is not going to foster 'other' caterpillars.

I had a NOID plant in my yard one year, which hosted milkweed MOTH cats. That was my clue that the Noid was a Milkweed family or close relative- dogbane, it turned out to be, wild.

So maybe my Swamp milkweed just did the inevitable- Looked great for 2 summers then suffered and died the third. I hadn't prepared for it with new plants elsewhere.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9406476

sally, thanks for the clarification, but I think I may need a bit more clarifying! :)

So... Asclepias incarnata (swamp) is not a rampant runner and still a good host for the monarchs.

Asclepias syriaca (pink) is a runner with a long taproot and may run rampant if allowed to spread.

Milkweeds will not host other caterpillars.

They're short-lived perennials and will not come back repeatedly if you don't let them self-sow.

Jill, I'm planning on wintersowing them as soon as I get them. Hopefully I'll get good germination so I can them share some at the spring swap!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9406489

Yes, except for "...They're short-lived perennials..." should read "Incarnata is short lived, in the experience of Jill and Sallyg..."
; ^)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2013
7:53 PM

Post #9406491

I figure if several of us are trying to grow them out, that increases our chance of being wildly successful!

Sally, you're right... most butterflies seem to be extremely specific about host plants (where eggs are laid and which are eaten by the little caterpillars. A good "butterfly garden" needs both host & nectar plants... if you look for a list of hosts for our area, you may be surprised at how many you're already growing, and you may also find some that would be easy to add. (Thought I had a bookmark somewhere, but I'm sure not seeing it.)

SSG, I don't know for sure about A. incarnata being short lived, but that seems to be the experience Sally & I had with it. Toes-up for no good reason.

And yes, I think monarchs (and Sally's milkweed moth) are about the only cats (butterfly-enthusiast-speak for "caterpillar" LOL) that you'll find on the milkweed. Eating milkweed as caterpillars is what gives monarch butterflies a nasty flavor that birds avoid. Viceroy butterflies famously imitate the color patterns on monarchs, and birds avoid them also.

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
8:07 PM

Post #9406505

I wasn't sure where to post this - but, since I'll do everything I can to be at the swap & don't want to make my announcement then - here goes...Greg & I are relocating to Huntsville AL in the next few months...hubby before me & I'll follow once house is sold/selling - you won't get rid of me, I'll still be hanging out on MAF & I'll be coming up for follow-ups at Reed :-) so, this seed swap will be extra special - I'll get to see & hang out with a bunch of wonderful people who's become very dear to my heart! This will be an exiting journey for Greg & I, and just the fresh start we need :-) AND, I'll have a BIG garden! Hugs all, I'll cherish all the wonderful memories & friendships, y'all ROCK! Bec!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2013
8:13 PM

Post #9406511

Becky, I'm delighted for you & Greg but sad for us... we are going to hold you to your promise of visiting! We are going to squeeze the stuffing out of you at the swap.

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
8:31 PM

Post #9406521

I'd like that :-)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
9:09 PM

Post #9406543

Wow Becky, that's the second huge new from you this last few months. Can life get any crazier? (wait, God, do not answer that!)

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
9:13 PM

Post #9406546

Oh Becky, how exciting for you, but same as what critter said - so sad for us...
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9406916

Wow -- what a change! I'd love to hear what brought you to that decision, if you are comfortable sharing.

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9406974

:-) It's somewhat long - but, I'll it short...new & improved job for hubby, 25-35% lower cost of living, slower pace of life, no commuting, fantastic housing, medical, the base, closer to his family in FL - H'vile area area is very much changing to the area for defense jobs, expanding, it's becoming the silicone valley of the south - then we'll have nature, mountains, the TN valley, friends already there, bigger yard for gardening :-) (I'll check on growing them Glads there, Jill) We'll be 1.5 hrs from Nashville, 3 from Atlanta, 6 from the FL coast...there are so many more positives, but there you have it :-)

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9407095

Wow Becky, that sounds wonderful for you and Greg but we will miss you.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9407104

That's great to hear. My husband and I (I keep saying that -- sorry to be so repetitive) keep mulling about moving someplace to retire (but where?). So I am always all-ears when I hear that anyone is moving. I don't know that we'll ever take the plunge because we hate to be inaccessible to family members and the DC area is so convenient, but we long to be so tempted that we do move. I think it is terrific to move -- and everyone I know who moves is really happy for the change.

This morning we were talking about moving to northern Michigan; a week ago it was the Delaware beaches. We are far from a consensus.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
1:12 PM

Post #9407155

Woot, woot!! How exciting for you and Greg!!

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9407226

Happy - H'ville is highly recommended for retirees :-) due to taxes

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
2:46 PM

Post #9407265

You'll love Alabama Becky. We went through there on the way to Pensacola and stopped one year in a park, stayed in a lodge, amazing scenery in Little River Canyon. Yeah live near a techies city like Huntsville though- the sticks aren't going to provide a lot of gourmet dining.
This end of TN, , countryside is gorgeous. Smokies, wonderful.

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9407299

That's what I'm understanding, we'll be surrounded by the largest group of PhD's in the US - the Wheeler Preserve will be awesome to explore! So far the pros by far outweighs the cons - it's a FRESH & exiting new do-over for us & I'm looking forward to this journey! The cost of living, time & slower pace of life will be incredible!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
3:28 PM

Post #9407312

and lack of traffic!!!!!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2013
4:08 AM

Post #9407685

How great Bec a new adventure.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9407903

Bec--
Sounds like a dream come true--from your description.
Your own house...a larger garden...a quiet nice place to live...good stimulating area...
Who will miss a row house? Your move will be filled with all things positive.

We will miss you both---always will remember the first plant Swap at your house...under the canopies.

Good luck to you both. Gita

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9407959

It sounds like a great move! Good luck to you, Bec. I will miss seeing you here.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9408273

Wow Bec! Now you can have a bigger compost. LOL Ric

You may have to explain that one Bec.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2013 4:47 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9411346

TIME CHANGE ! ! !

Time for this event is now one hour earlier, from 11 am to 3 pm.

See the main swap thread for details: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292205/#new

Also, let's continue to celebrate and support our Becky here, at the new thread Chantell started: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1297336/

Becky, we're so glad the light at the end of the tunnel for you is not an oncoming train at all... but rather, a bright Alabama sunrise!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9412068

Bec, you are SOOOO lucky! I have been hounding Bobbin for years to sell this house & move down South somewhere where it is warmer and easier for us, but as long as his Dad is up here & his daughter, it's here, we stay & suffer in the cold winters. I can only hope we live long enough to make the move. I wish you the best of everything in your move, and especially a long, healthy & gardening life in a place where you can have several growing seasons. What zone will you be moving to? Will miss you but I can always find you here & at seed swaps from time-to-time. Looking forward to seeing you next week. Hugs, Judy.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2013
9:57 PM

Post #9412740

Along with your "wish" lists, it's really helpful if you give a general description of your garden, what kind of plants you're interested in growing (flowers, veggies, fragrant, butterfly garden, etc.), whether you have sun or shade... we'll do lot of this chat in person, too, of course, but some people like to find a few things to drop into those "goodie" bags before trading begins. :-)

I've got family visiting through this weekend, so I'm going to be posting my "haves" list at the 11th hour! I did get some fun extras from another swap I participated in over the holidays.

My night-blooming jasmine is struggling, so no cuttings for now, hopefully in spring. I can offer seeds from it, though!

I also have a some oxalis "tubers." I think there are several different kinds, but I don't know which is which any longer, just that I have several little piles of them that I think are all "different." It may be simplest to just offer them as an assortment. I'll keep a few to fill in hanging baskets but will give away most of them this year, because Eliot can't resist eating them if he can reach them, and they irritate his mouth.

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
10:08 PM

Post #9412745

Ooh, I love oxalis! I'd love some of those tubers. :) And I just realized I forgot to update my wish list. Thank you for the reminder!

Jill, if you have any more pens left, I'd like one silver and one black.

Sally, I'd like to try that nasturtium.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2013 2:54 AM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
5:38 AM

Post #9412863

Yea I'd take an assortment of oxalis as well. My garden is a wooded garden with good filtered light. I am interested in perennials that naturalize well but aren't in conrtollable.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
10:47 AM

Post #9413150

Yes ssgardener, you got them.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9413188

Jill-

Roses posted that she grows "Arugula Rocket" which has softer leaves and does not bolt so quiclky.
She saidthat she got the seeds from you from some kind of Group Buy from Italy.

Would you still have some of these seeds? I'd like to grow a few plants of this one.
Will check the seed supply at HD too. Thanks, Gita

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9413211

I have a feeling come next year I'll be on here, begging for plants!!! Gotta love flat-rate shipping! :) I know all the properties I'm looking at has 1/4 acre lots, so I'll actually have room to plant! I was doing some research & the soil is not user friendly - but, it won't be the heavy clay!! I'm sure there will be no planting this year, both due to time and energy, but just wait until next year!!! I'll be a planting/rototilling fool!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9413221

Bec--

When are you actually moving?

I wanted to forward something to you--a You Tube of cars driving on the Norwegian Atlantis Road.
It is both scary and beautiful.
Would you D-mail me your e-mail? Unless you have already seen this road in films and are not interested.

Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9413358

Terp, I think the Oxalis triangularis (not solid purple, but purple with a sort of star in the center of the leaves) is supposed to be hardy here, but the others are tender / lift in fall.

No problem on the pens; Jim just picked up another set for us.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
2:17 PM

Post #9413369

You know what I am surprised about????

Here it is--only a week to go, and so few people have posted their "wants" or "haves" yet.
Is it the case of --same people--same seeds---so no need any more?
I, for one, added 13 new seeds to my "haves" list this year. Look for the *** on my list.

I guess not everyone is as anal and organized as I am--or try to be. Of course--I have all this free time...
I couldn't sleep at night if I still had to accomplish all that in one week's time...;~O

I can't even imagine how Jill functions by now--with all she is doing!

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9413377

Paul--

You are into Bonsai--right?

I have a book: "Simon & Schuster's Guide to Bonsai".
Would you like to have it?
G.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9413391

purple oxalis is hardy at my castle so it probably is for Paul at least in chosen microclimates on his site.

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
2:52 PM

Post #9413395

It is Hardy? Hmmm and the green is not??

Gita- not practicing it but enjoy the art of it. Initially I thought no but after a second thought I'd love to read it and pass it on.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9413520

Sold!!!

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9413943

This is a belated response to Aspenhillís questions about Milkweed earilier in this thread. I grow 7 or 8 species of Asclepias, none of which are A. syriaca. If you want to save yourself headaches, promptly sow your A. syriaca seeds in the nearest trash basket. It is by far the most aggressive of the Milkweeds, is considered a noxious weed in many quarters and will end up where you donít want it. Asclepias speciosa is a western species, growing primarily west of the Mississippi River. It is hardy here but its native range suggests that our more humid eastern climate is not to its liking, so I have not attempted to grow it. Asclepias incarnata is a fine local native, as is A. tuberosa, a very hardy orange species that is the second most commonly seen Asclepias species in this region.

There are many Asclepias species that are suited to our local climate and easy to grow. Species native to Virginia not previously mentioned are:

A. amplexicaulis-------Clasping Milkweed------------pink
A. exaltata---------------Poke Milkweed-----------------white
A. lanceolata-----------Few-Flowered Milkweed-----orange and pink
A. longifolia-------------Long-Leaf Milkweed-----------green/white
A. purpurascens-------Purple Milkweed----------------purple
A. quadrifolia-----------Four-Leaf Milkweed-----------pale pink
A. rubra------------------Red Milkweed-------------------pink
A. variegata------------Red-Ring Milkweed------------white w/ red ring
A. verticillata-----------Whorled Milkweed--------------white
A. viridiflora------------Green Milkweed ----------------green

Seeds should be surface-sown and either placed outside by late February, or given a month in the fridge before moving outdoors for best germination. Once planted in-ground they do not transplant easily because of their taproots. Most will grow with part-day shade.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9414201

Thanks, David! That's a great summary. I didn't realize there were so many native Asclepias... I'll be on the lookout now. :-)

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9414307

David,
I looked at my records from last season, and you had given me A. verticillata (whorled milkweed) and A. perennis (white milkweed). Ok, sowing my A. syriaca seeds in the nearest trash basket now LOL. I guess A. incarnata is a keeper.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9414448

Roses and Jill---

I walked over to the Burpee seeds just now (I am at work) and we do carry the Arugula "Rocket Wild Roma".
That is the full name on the seed packet. International coillection..
Harvest 35 days. $1.19 a packet. Will buy 2 packets...such a BIG spender--I is!!!

Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2013
2:46 PM

Post #9414470

Gita, I'd take a little pinch of that Arugula if it's not too much trouble, just to add to a cutting lettuce mix. Thanks!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9414618

Jill--

I will give you a whole packet of the Arugula seeds...I can buy another one next Sunday.

It says on the back of the packet that this one has a stronger taste than "regular" Arugula.
Whatever that means...Roses said it tasted "sweet". I guess that can be subjective...
G.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2013
6:53 PM

Post #9414770

Gita, thanks, but a little pinch to try really would be fine. We have several new-to-us greens we're going to try to grow this year!

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2013
4:16 AM

Post #9415010

I think I said (or meant to say) that it's VERY spicey!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9415336

Hmmm...I do not do many foods that are "very spicy"...I still will try to grow a couple.

Maybe I should just stick to buying Arugula in plastic bags at the produce dept.

There were no other Arugula seeds at the Burpee display. Only these.
So far--we have not gotten any other brands in.
We do have Martha Stewart seeds (they cost more!) and Disney seeds.
G.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2013
10:34 AM

Post #9415470

Disney seeds ? Sheesh.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9415525

ROFL! The Disney seeds are probably still cheaper at HD than they will be when we go to the House of the Mouse in June... Joyanna is SO psyched. I want to take a tour of their greenhouses!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9415607

I think the seed packets even have a Disney character on them--maybe Tinnkerbelle? or Mickey Mouse?...
Will have to check...

The look really out of place next to all the garden-looking Burpee seeds...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9415629

I guess if you can make 'toys' out of 'seeds' by putting characters on them, that may be serving a higher purpose!

Offtopic. = I glanced up to the high, metal structural ceiling of the grocery store and saw a Dora mylar balloon had come loose and was up in the metal rafters. Dora sure was Exploring!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
12:40 PM

Post #9415645

LOL,
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9415767

Dora, Dora, Dora the Exploooorah!

UPDATE
: I just put in an order for enough polymer moisture crystals to last until Joyanna goes to college... unless I share! I'll have a final price on them soon (when I know shipping), but we got an extra discount, and it looks like it'll be around $5 - $5.25/pound for the medium size (about the same size as "soilmoist" and other brands you'd find locally). That's an awesome price!) We'll have small crystals and powder available, too. I only got 2 pound bags of those, so we may be doling it out by the quarter-pound, and it'll be more than the medium. I ordered 10 pounds of the large size, as well, which I like for planting trees, shrubs, and other large perennials (I just mix a few in with the medium crystals). I like the small crystals for miniature violets and seedling flats. The powder makes a great "gel" for dipping/planting or wrapping/shipping bare root plants.

If you want to discuss any aspect of the moisture crystals in more detail, please start another thread for that so we can stay focused on the swap here. The crystals have their admirers and their detractors, and it's a pretty polarized discussion, not unlike the debate over using peat moss or the older one re. pressure-treated lumber.

I'm finally getting around to sorting out some SEEDS today! LOL I'll post a list soon of a few things I've already packaged up. I also have a lot of single packets to share...

Does anybody else like the idea of setting up one table for "free to good home" single packets? I'm wondering if anybody else has "orphans" in their seed stash... Most seeds are good for at least 5 years, some for much longer... and if it doesn't get planted by somebody, then for sure it won't sprout!

I usually put out a couple of baskets with these random seeds, but I thought we'd have the room this year to give them a table where everybody could sort through and find treasures. ?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9415863

It might be good to have a pot of "Please just TAKE these seeds" as it feels kind of selfish to take too many from any one box being passed around.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9415875

That's a good point, too. And if we have a table to use for treasure-hunting from that "pot" rather than just my little basket with the "free to good home" sign, it might make it easier for people to drop by, look to see if there's anything they can use, or even drop off their own "orphan packs." Any leftovers, I might hold onto some for next year, and the rest will be shared either with new gardeners or with next year's Piggy Swap (which has provided a lot of the "orphan packs" I've offered in the past few years).

Remember, just because it's neglected at the bottom of *your* seed box doesn't mean somebody else won't think it's a "find!"

OK, now I'm feeling like I need a pirate treasure chest for that table... LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9416061

Soooo---

Would older and unwanted seeds be also acceptable in the "Orphan Seed Stash?"??
I have a qt. zip-loc baggie full of odds and ends--Maybe someone would like to scatter these
and see if they grow.

I will bring them anyway...Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9416116

Sure! Think of it as "The Island of Misfit Seeds." Whether they're new seeds that are just not "treasures" to you or seeds in an older packet that you just don't think you'll plant again in the next few years... those would be candidates for needing "a good home!"

Most seeds are "good" for a lot longer than people think. Even if the germination percentage on a pack of tomato seeds has dropped by as much as 60% in, say, 8 years, if the pack has 15 seeds, you'd still get 6 seedlings.

If your seeds got wet or really hot during storage, then maybe not... but most of our seeds have fortunately stayed out of flooded basements & hot attics!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
3:10 AM

Post #9416290

I forgot to ask for red castor bean seeds and just a little bit of spinach seeds.

Greenthumb, what a comprehensive list of milkweeds! I'm really excited about hosting some butterflies this year.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2013
4:38 AM

Post #9416332

SSG, I have some red Castor Beans.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9416372

...and I have some spinach seeds. I don't plan to grow spinach.

Will put what I have in a baggie for you, ssssssss...Gita

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
5:28 AM

Post #9416385

SSG, the list may be long but many of the seeds seem impossible to come by. I am still searching for Asclepias lanceolata, longifolia, quadrifolia, rubra and variegata. If you run across any of these, please count me in or pass along the source information---I'll do likewise.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
5:31 AM

Post #9416388

David---

Are you still clean-shaven? Or--were you outvoted on keeping it that way by your DW?
We will see...

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9416391

I'll not spoil the suspense.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9417040

I finally got a few seeds on my "haves" list last night. Hoping snow storms stay away this weekend!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9417126

ss gardener---

I have you down for Spinach. Correct?
I will also put in a baggie of Cilantro seeds. OK?

Let me know--Gita

Buttoneer---
I will see if I have any Epi cuttings that have just been put in to root. They root so fast!
I have 2 kinds--both bloom red.hot pink.

Are you still interested? let me know---Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9417161

Jill--

I will give you some seeds to try out and see what happens. A Mystery...

Story: Last year--this woman at my HD was having lunch--and she was eating a BLACK
sweet pepper. It was shaped and looked just like a green pepper--but it was black.
She said she got it in a Grocery Store. I have NEVER seen one--have you?

Well--I took the seeds from it and am wondering if it would actually grow and produce
a black pepper again. What are the odds???
You are the perfect "Guinea Pig"...you grow all kinds of things. So--I am giving you some.

I may seed one or two seeds myself--just out of curiosity. Then we can compare notes...:o)

Hey--what do you know?? I Googled it and there really is such a thing! WOW!!!

http://www.reimerseeds.com/mavras-sweet-peppers.aspx

Gita
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9417172

Gita, yes to both, thank you!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2013
8:56 PM

Post #9417292

Gita, you're always on the lookout for something new! Two potential issues with those seeds... they are most likely hybrids, so the next generation I bet would be mostly "regular" green peppers, but you never know. I'm not sure we'll get them to germinate, because most purple & black peppers ripen to red when the seeds are mature... but again, you never know, and if we don't sow the seeds then for sure we won't get anything from them! Like you, I've seen purple & other colors, but never black. And from the grocery store! Cool.

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9417835

Hey all - IF we get snow on Saturday, I probably won't make the drive - that being said - I have plants that needs good homes, in case buyers decide to get rid of them - WHO wants to dig'em up?????
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9417840

I'm figuring that if we get just an inch or two, roads should be clean and clear by/before mid-morning... but if that suddenly turns into 10 inches, we'll have to look for a "snow date." Let's not cross that bridge until we come to it... right now, accuweather & noaa both think there's nothing much happening on the weekend. (For both York, PA and Frederick, MD, NOAA shows slight chance of snow or rain Friday night, sunny Saturday with temps over 35... for DC, NOAA doesn't have anything happening Friday night even.)

Becky, you need to pick a date and have a "plant dig." I'll come! New thread, though, please?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2013
11:45 AM

Post #9417851

Bec_No_Va wrote:Hey all - IF we get snow on Saturday, I probably won't make the drive - that being said - I have plants that needs good homes, in case buyers decide to get rid of them - WHO wants to dig'em up?????

I can offer my muscle and energy to dig plants for anybody. I like to think that when vacate our splotch of green earth that we made it more enjoyable and beautiful for those who come after. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case. I know quite a few people who don't want any plants or landscaping. They claim it's too much maintenance, what a shame.

I hope that isn't the case here because a mature landscape is something we all strive for and takes years, decades to evolve.

Paul

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9417888

I'm bringing in a 'garden due' next weekend to trim & clean up back and front, so it'll look decent for prospective buyers :) I'll start a thread :)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9418278

Got an email from Summer Hill Seeds! Robin has added 50 more varieties to her seed list (and she has a lot of unusual seeds) and is offering free shipping on any order over $30, from now through Feb. 20. Use code "FEB2014"

You know, in case the Seed Fairy doesn't bring what you're hoping for on Saturday!

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
9:26 PM

Post #9418462

Enabler!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9418811

critterologist wrote:
5 Basil, Italian Genovese (2012): the one a friend brought back from Italy years ago. strong delicious flavor, my favorite for pesto & any Italian recipe

5 Basil, Sicilian (2012): similar to Genovese above but without the anise note to its flavor

5 Basil, Lime (2012): distinctive lime (not lemon) citrus flavor & scent

6 Mix of 2 Thai type basils, Thai Basil Siam Queen & "Hot & Spicy" basil (2012)

6 Basil, 'Blue Spice': more delicate flavor, pretty violet-blue bloom spikes

Plants
just so I can keep track

SSG: euphorbias
Donnerville & Gita: caladiums for spring, Red Robin, Aaron, Buck Rodgers

Lotus

Night-Blooming Jasmine: Donner, Button (note, due to stressed plant, I'll get fresh seeds instead)

Goldfish Plant: Donner, Button, Terp

Hey Jill,

I'd love any of the basils and was curious about the Euphorbia..can you elaborate on it. -Thanks SSG!

This message was edited Feb 14, 2013 1:19 PM

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9418814

Yes, ENABLER... I checked out the website and ended up ordering unusual vine seeds and some misc annuals, columbines, and violets. When it is winter, the confidence about what you can accomlish in the upcoming gardening season is a wonderful thing. It doesn't seem overwhelming at all until all the seeds, bulbs, and plants that have been ordered actually start arriving LOL!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9418938

Terp, the euphorbias are santarosa purchases that I added onto Critter's fall order to save on shipping. She kindly overwintered them for me.

Ascot Rainbow:

http://www.santarosagardens.com/Euphorbia-xmartinii-Ascot-Rainbow-p/eup-asc.htm

I have just one right now and they have very pretty winter coloring.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9418962

Ah ha! Very nice!!!! They are pretty interesting plants.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2013
11:41 AM

Post #9419017

SSG, your 2 plants were indeed out in the "nursery corner" (was supposed to be a sort of gravel patio, but it works so well for pots!)... I think the recent wind got them a bit droopy, but the coloring is still very pretty!

Terp, check the Santa Rosa site for it... if they have it & you want it, I can add it to my order for you (and you won't have to pay shipping).

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9419756

David, I was determined not to bring home any seeds but then you have to post 'lemon catnip'. May I have a few seeds please. My cats just love catnip and this one seems like a smaller plant. I think a pot of it on the deck will be nice this summer and then I can dry it for the winter. Got to keep the kitties happy. ;^)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9419787

Not bring home any seeds!?! ooh noooo, you know we'd never allow that!

David, I'd love a pinch of your lemon catnip also (Eliot hates it, but I like it in tea), and also a few seeds of Echinacea pallida (am I remembering that the "pale purple" is one that's a little more shade-tolerant? must check)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9419846

Catbird- so glad you can make it.

Coleup- I have dmailed you, Robin and Gita about our travel. We'll shoot to leave here around 945 or ten am to get there at eleven. Mark is coming along and driving. I have enough seats and some room for plants. Please reply to dmail, or call, by 9 30 am Saturday, if we are giving you a ride.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9419867

Will the s! I love my Subaru! I hope that it doesn't cancel a lot of people out.

I am sure the Highways will be clean. G.

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9420180

Snow/temps might stop me from coming up, my body don't do too well with these temp changes and I've been on strong pain meds for nearly 2 weeks now :( This area has snow forecast for tonite/most of tomorrow :(
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9420212

Hopefully we'll have a sunny morning, starting early enough for you to be feeling better!

DIRECTIONS

See http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9369536

"Invoices" for ADR and a few other things have gone out, LMK if there are any questions or problems. Touch of Nature still has to be totaled, but if you know the cost on what you ordered you can figure shipping as 10% of your total plus $1. Still need to figure caladiums, too... no worries.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9420241

Becky, I can only speak for myself though I'm sure others would agree, that my wishes and prayers are for your continued health and well-being first and foremost. Your 'hero' status is well established and needs no heroics beyond your continuing to follow your own wisdom as to what you need at this time, and each moment of your day.

That DC rain/snow line is always hard to call, but for sure cold temps and wind chill are arriving even as I type this.

I understand that seed swaps have "seed fairies" who bring collected seeds to those who can't attend. I'm sure all those heart warming hugs can be delivered the same way!
Judy
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9420250

Becky, I'd be very happy to pick up your seeds for you! :)

David, I'd love some dill seeds and also mexican sunflower seeds.

Is cumin easy to grow? I use a ton of it in cooking, so I'd like to give that a try as well.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2013
9:53 PM

Post #9420541

You're not going to BELIEVE the tray of seeds that Bluespiral dropped off Friday afternoon. There must be 300 packets in there! She swore they were all "orphans" from swaps she participated in this fall. Wowza! I think our table for single packets is really going to be a treasure trove!

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2013
4:16 AM

Post #9420641

I made little packs of plant markers from an old blind last night should have enough for everyone's goodie bags.
Oh Sally... Ric has something special for you. LOL

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2013
4:20 AM

Post #9420644

Hope you all have a great time there. We have postponed our trip to Florida for a few days because DH has a tooth problem which took an emergency appointment yesterday. Should be good to go by Thursday.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9420649

Sure wish I was heading down to Fl. right now. Ric and I would love to go back to the Keys.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9421176

I posted this on the main swap thread but wanted to re-post here also...

WONDERFUL to see everybody!!! Thank you all for coming, for bringing such fun seeds and gift table items, and for making this another memorable MAGpye party!

I know I said "winter sowing" and "throw them in a milk jug" to at least one person who looked at me blankly... there's a whole forum on DG for winter sowing, and I wrote a couple of articles about it a while back, too. Forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/coldsow/all/ WS 101: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/585/

I think I posted on the MAG seed starting thread also that I did a series of "Seed Starting 101" articles on everything from light shelves to preventing damping off. There are links to the others at the bottom of this first one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/464/ Certainly there are lots of ways to successfully start seeds; this is just what works for me.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9421800

Thank you, Critter, for organizing this! BTW, the restaurant was great, and a great place to hold the swap!

And a special shout-out to Donner for a terrific Bingo game -- that was a really fun way to do it - not to mention that your cards were beautiful.

And another shout-out to Paul for getting those huge bags of ProMix into my car (and to Ric for getting them into his).

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9421805

happy_macomb wrote:
And another shout-out to Paul for getting those huge bags of ProMix into my car (and to Ric for getting them into his).

My female roomie would sing at moments like that "Its so nice...to have a man... around the house..."!

Did I tell everybody how nice Ric was to make up a bark screen for me? What a guy!

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2013
1:49 PM

Post #9422189

I'm always happy to lend a hand happy!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America