Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: WHICH IS IS? A Dwarf Snowbush or A Dwarf Snowflake?

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

This little plant is called Dwarf Snowflake and is a Breynia disticha 'nana' , but most of the information I find on this plant calls it a Dwarf Snowbush.
Even the 'nana' is called a snowbush on DG.
Is it called Snowflake because it is a bonsai?????? Can someone enlighten me if you have ever heard it called Snowflake? It was purchased at the Philadelphia, PA Flower Show and marked that way.

Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

The picture did not come up where it was supposed to so here is the picture of my little plant in question.

Thumbnail by JBerger
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Common names are notoriously unreliable & at least in the US are not standardized at all. If most people call it snowbush, someone might remember the snow part but get the other part mixed up and call it snowflake instead. So I doubt the snowflake name has anything to do with it being a bonsai, just inconsistent use of common names.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

The name is Breynia disticha 'nana'. Forget about the rest of it. Call it whatever you want. I know people that make up names and the name ends up sticking. The sooner you use the latin name as the only name, the sooner it starts making sense. Just ask Resin.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

But then it would be the Little Scots Rowan Spindle....

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

...with Asparagus Fern attributes. (all in good humour)

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Virginia Juniper!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.