Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trash to Treasure: Pond with old fencing, and hand-rail pipe fountain.

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 27, Views: 403
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9389075

This pond is a 300 gallon black PVC stock tank from Tractor supply. It was started in february 2010. (first picture)
The fencing concealing the Black plastic was given to me by my neighbor Ruth right after we bought the house, and the galvanized pipe fountain spout was made from the old hand-rail that I changed on my back door. The netting is old shade cloth that was torn. I painted it so that it kind of looked like old fish nets. The rope was from an old swing hanging from an oak tree out back from some past owner. The bird is hardwood and I found it at a Thrift store.

Time elapsed, and the 2nd picture is 5 months later July 2010.
The 3rd and 4th picture is 1 year later April and May 2011 and the last picture is now.

I think this is a good example of less is more. The Now picture seems a tad overgrown and I will need to tame it a lot before next spring! It was more attractive in its tidier days, but the crayfish probably like it better now! They climb out and sit on the vines growing in the built in grow ring and water overflow ring around the top on occasion. When I feed the mosquito fish they skitter up to the top of the pondgrasses to snap up the fishfood...

This message was edited Jan 18, 2013 11:55 AM

This message was edited Jan 19, 2013 9:00 AM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Click an image for an enlarged view.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9389643

I will agree ~ less is more. I really like your midway photos.

I also love the way you concealed the tub. Thanks for sharing. Kristi

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9389897

Thanks Kristi,
I have already started taming it! I think it will be back in order soon...

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9389904

I love what you did at the start, great use of a lot of different items. I really like all of them, but especially the first because you really understand what it there. The last is great as it has melted into the landscape. Has that warm comfortable, been there forever fell to it.

Jan

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9390424

Thanks for liking the last one Meadowyck. I think the same and that is why it got that way. However this coming Spring it needs a major freshen up!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9390769

GREAT project, very nice!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
4:59 AM

Post #9390930

Thank you Pat!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9391087

I agree, that turned out great!
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 20, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9391356

David,

Your pool/tub project is gorgeous. For me, I would have liked it at about picture #2 stage. Although it is lovely and appears to have "been there forever" like others mentioned, my problem would be snakes. I don't mind snakes. I always watch out for them when I mow and chase them away so I don't hurt them except - the cottonmouth/water moccassins we have. They are very aggressive and will actually chase you. I had one in the driveway one of the feral cats around here cornered near the garage door. I chase it away from the door to the grass, and a 12 ga. buckshot took care of him. Blew him into about 6 pieces. Then not Sandy but the hurricane we had before brought a LOT of rain. I went downstairs to check on the sump pumps and when I reached up to turn a light on above one I saw a 6 foot+ cottonmouth coiled and setting on the sillplate, about 3 feet away from my hand. I shot it with a .44 but missed the head. I did however, cut the head off in the floor with a machette. That's when I spotted another one coiled a few feet down the sill plate from where the first one was. Same fate for him too. The only way they could have gotten in was through the sump pump drain - which now has rat wire over the end. So, no, this would be a perfect place for them. It is lovely for someone else though.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
12:02 PM

Post #9391369

Thank you Love to paint. It would be fun I think, should you pick up those paintbrushes again and paint your beautiful Cereus!

I liked stage #2 too!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9392210

It all looks great David. I am all for re-purposing items.
When you come down for RU I will give you some very colorful shubunkins if you would like for your pond. I am an avid gardner but also a ponder. I love seeing my koi in larger pond but I just bought 13 shubunkins for older pond. They are blue with yellow heads and I'm hoping will grow more beautiful over time.

Keep up your creative works. It's good for the soul and eyes to enjoy.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9392329

I had 3 Shubunkins about 10 years ago, I LOVED them but they had go when I divorced and sold the house / pond.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9392619

I appreciate the shubunkin offer Bonnie. Thank you for the offer and words!

WelcomeGnome
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9393512

Absolutely love this. I like all of the pictures. The only reason I agree with you in the "less is more" category is because the fence you used adds so much character. And obviously is now covered up. Otherwise, it's so pretty. I've seen a lot of your posts, you're a very innovative individual. Thank you for sharing.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

February 6, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9410671

David , I've kinda looked for a private fence like yours . Where do you buy that and how expensive ?I know it comes in rolls but no one seems to know where it comes from .

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9410679

Digger,

That fencing you see around the pond was old when it was given to me by a neighbor, but I still think they sell it at Home Depot and Lowes? Its white and held together with wire like Snow fence/Dune fence which is available at Tractor Supply but taller.

Welcome Gnome, I am sorry to not to have thanked you for your nice comment earlier but am now. Thank you. I haven't been here in a while!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

February 6, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9410688

Thanks , I've looked everywhere except T Supply . They make stuff for duck blinds , but not the same and Very expensive .We have a T Supply close , will call them . Thanks !

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9410692

Look up 'Snow Fence' on TS. You'll find it... Its cool stuff.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

February 6, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9410717

Just as soon as I catch up on F B . Here's hoping !
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2013
4:36 AM

Post #9410905

Nice job, love the last one!!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2013
4:55 AM

Post #9410912

Thank you kobwebz.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 7, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9410938

Very nice work...you are so talented! I have to say #4 is my favorite...I love the sneakers. Are those real or concrete..can't really tell by the picture. Very cute!

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9410959

Ditto to what has already been said :>) I love all your garden works, Thank you for sharing your photo's
Christine
teko
Brillion, WI

February 8, 2013
11:23 AM

Post #9412184

I absolutely love it! But I see you're in Florida. I'm in Wisconsin (zone 4-5) and doubt it would make it through the winter unless I drained it and I doubt anyone would like 300 gallons of water spread in their yards. But you've got me thinking!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 8, 2013
11:33 AM

Post #9412199

Shucks,... Thats just enough water to give the ground around it a good Spring soak! It comes out so slow through the drain plug on the bottom side. The pond water is great for the plants too! No problems with that to think of teko and thanks much for the comment.
David
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9415450

David that looks great. You have a real artistic eye. I agree the middle pics are the best. My ponds get pretty over grown by the end of summer, too.

Teko, you may be able to use a stock tank in your area. They are pretty tough and I am sure that out west they have stock tanks that fill with water and freeze solid over the winter. You should check out Tractor Supply or a store in your area that carries that type of container to find out more about them. I have 2 above ground ponds and they both freeze solid in the winter. One is an old bathtub and the other is a lined wooden box.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 11, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9415513

I love those old bathtub ponds Holly Ann.I have a gardening friend who has offered me two and am considering. They are so cool and so heavy to move though... The Stock tanks are a heck of a lot easier to move when empty!

I have just cut back and cleaned up the one I have. Won't send any new pics till it is looking like something again. It's always fun to see what the new look of each season brings...

It would be great to see pics of yours too this year!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9415526

I have an old T2T Thread with my Bathtub pond if you want to take a look.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1008678/ There is a link in the third post to the Water Garden Forum with more pics.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America