Photo by Melody

Texas Gardening: Who's Been Working Outside?

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 17, Views: 140
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9390017

With the break in the freezing cold weather, I'm curious to find out who's been working outside and what you've been doing. I plan on working in the flower beds and veggie bed tomorrow. (Working today.) I need to put down some fresh compost in the both and I need to cut back and trim dead foliage on my flowers. I also have fall veggies to pull from the veggie garden.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9390214

Steph,
You're pulling your veggies out of the bed? Just asking cause last season it was suggested that they just be cut off at the soil line.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 19, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9390234

Sadly nearly no free time to be outside for many months now. I am out today doing some much needed clean up. Spotted this rather large jumping spider on a Josephine donated agave. He is lovely!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 19, 2013
11:48 AM

Post #9390239

Pic

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9390340

Wow, that is a pretty spider Stephanie. I am glad you have one of my agaves, they are so neat, I got them both from Mitch when he moved to Oklahoma.

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9390348

Yesterday I put out 50 King Alfred bulbs. I have been outside all day today and loving it. Trimmed pampas grass, perenials that didn't get trimmed last year and sprawled all over, and spread compost. This is the first time that I have done serious composting and I am so proud of my dirt!!! Also thinned some cannas and iris and put them out at the curb for free pickup. I hope that someone takes them and enjoys them. Yes, spring fever has struck here in Pflugerville!!! It remains to be seen if I can even walk tomorrow!! LOL

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9390353

I have been out working too and I am sad to say that I get sore and tired a lot faster than I used to.
Maybe is the lack of activity with the cold weather, I surely hope so.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9390373

yes, It is no good for the soil biology to pull vegetables or plants.
the older roots will be eaten by small bacteria in the soil and by worms.
it will take years to re-build the "soil biology" when you "yank" a root.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9390483

Linda, I still have tomato plants and okra plants (now dead) that I need to get out of the garden.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2013
9:33 PM

Post #9390853

But, if you don't pull the old veggie roots, won't they be in the way of the new plants as they start to grow?

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2013
9:44 PM

Post #9390859

Okay, was working outside but getting the last of the Christmas lights taken down and put away... Now that that's done, I've got the IHORT GH and the little Burpee Tomato GH's filled with seeds. I know I got the late start, but with a few encouraging words from people here, I got revitalized and have renewed ambition for this year.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 20, 2013
4:11 AM

Post #9390917

Plants are pretty good at pushing their roots around. I agree with DA, soil layering is important and when its disturbed the soil is not as functional.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9391040

Gymgirl wrote:But, if you don't pull the old veggie roots, won't they be in the way of the new plants as they start to grow?

Not really ...
the bacterias and micro-organism in the soil will feed on them and you will have such a better result in your future crop ...
Give it a try and you will see.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9391097

Hmmm...I'll have to think about that. I just want all the dead stuff gone, as well as the weeds. I'll be working outside a bit later when it warms up more.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9391600

I pull up all my nightshade plants tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant. That's what I've always done. I don't even compost them too much chance of spreading disease. I burn them or put them in the trash. Legumes I cut off bc they're roots fix nitrogen. Some of the tomato plants have had such massive root balls I fell on my hind end when they finally came loose. Lol
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9392651

I did work outside almost all weekend. Really tidying up the chicken coop and run and the goat stalls. All manure shifted to the compost pile or directly to the waiting veggie beds. Planted out some new blueberry bushes, pruned many roses and fruit trees. Also walked my new pasture to determine how much seed to order for same. Got one bed almost completely ready for the onion starts and planted out many of the onions. It is going to take me a few days to get those done. I moved my night eyes into a new section of the pasture and the coyotes were up all night howling about it. Even had a bit of time to spend on the back porch reading my newest Kindle book. It was a lovely weekend, and now I'm at work...
grits74571
Talihina, OK

January 22, 2013
12:01 PM

Post #9393784

Worked in the yard all day yesterday but today a cold wind chased me back inside rather quickly Maybe Tomorrow

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9394039

I work the late shift tomorrow, so my plan is to get outside and get the beds ready for the onions that I'll plant on Thursday.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America