Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Violet Prickly Pear (Opuntia gosseliniana var. duranzilla)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 7, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks

Valley of the Sun, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9390097

Violet Prickly Pear
Opuntia gosseliniana var. duraznilla

January 19, 2013. mid Winter, Phoenix AZ, zone 9b. No protection necessary from cold or sun in Phoenix.

Thumbnail by Xenomorf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Hayward, CA

May 18, 2015
10:57 AM

Post #10075973

That is not like mine. Much different. The spines on mine are arrow straight,never wavy. And the pads are also at most half that size. Plus- that one shows very little purple.

I might not know what it is..but I gave away a couple to Cacti collectors who are friends of a cousin. They said its their favorite plant now. Lots of color.

Valley of the Sun, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2015
12:38 PM

Post #10079457

Some clones exhibit more purple than others. Growing conditions can also affect the size of the pads. But as for the arrow straight spines, That might indicate a different species. Do you have any photos of the one you are referring to?

Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2015
1:59 PM

Post #10079480

Bay Area is probably referring to the 2 photos he posted under the same name, Phil.

And you are right, just a great color!!
Hayward, CA

May 24, 2015
5:59 PM

Post #10080344

Well,that Kell,is where it was suggested I move it. I really haven't found another labeled. So its more I know after years of looking at this plant..its not like the others on DG. The color of that steel blue-gray of the others is not ever on mine. Even cuttings out of hot sun turn more green then gray. And the spines..never ever one is wavy.

Its not an expensive plant. I doubt it ever had a label other then "Cactus" as a 3" HD plant many years ago.

One last is..if given hard conditions the pads are smaller..but still thicker then say those many "bunny ears".

I've looked all over online. Can't find out what it is.
I should try Xeric forum also. I forgot about that.
Thanks Xeno,Kell. I appreciate the time.

Valley of the Sun, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2015
6:53 AM

Post #10081877

As I mentioned back in 2009 in this thread: I am convinced and very sure that yours is Opuntia macrocentra var. minor. Every aspect about it points to that. The epidermis color, the spine color and rigidity, the size of the pads.
Hayward, CA

June 4, 2015
12:17 PM

Post #10087668

Xeno- I thought you were the one to move it here? The photos of O.macrocentra v. minor ARE as close to it I've seen.
Xero,all the flowers under that name have red throats-- except yours. Mine also is pure yellow. So,they are variable?

If so,then DG should move the O.durazznillo photo of mine to the right plant.

Valley of the Sun, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 11, 2015
4:50 PM

Post #10092378

No, I wasn't the one to move it, I am not in the Admin.
Where are you referring to about "all the flowers under that name have red throats"?
I may have missed your photos of the flowers on your cactus.
The spines on your cactus are not the spines of duranzilla, they are the spines of macrocentra.
And if you are sayiing that the flower are pure yellow, then it is Neither macrocentra or duranzilla, it is a something else, maybe a hybrid. And in that case we don't know where it should go...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America