Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Migratory Pelicans?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I spotted these birds gliding/circling over head above our local lake. Their behavior isn't anything I've noticed on others such as various gulls that I've seen around here. What do you think?

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Kim those are American White Pelicans. I think they are looking for a school of fish or they just like flying the solars like the Hawks do. I see them do it here to out on the river in winter. Once is a rare occasion we see them in summer.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow! What's a treat to see them in such large flock. Many thanks Donna.

(Zone 5a)

I am late and I fully agree with Donna. We saw this over our yard last spring! It was beautiful and amazing. We live about 5 miles from a large water source and at that time, it still had water. It dried up with the drought.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Last year drought was pretty bad Nation wide, sorry the large water source is now dried up. Chillybean. I was so delighted of the amazing sight of these Pelicans. I'm hoping they'll return soon. Thanks again Donna for the positive I.D.

I'm glad you stopped by Chillybean.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Speaking of wishing upon a star. My wish came true! While heading out to see the Eagle nest this evening, I didn't see the Eagles but to make up for the miss, I saw another flock of Pelicans. That really made my day!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.