Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Identification: Migratory Pelicans?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2013
10:59 AM

Post #9390172

I spotted these birds gliding/circling over head above our local lake. Their behavior isn't anything I've noticed on others such as various gulls that I've seen around here. What do you think?

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2013
11:49 AM

Post #9390242

Kim those are American White Pelicans. I think they are looking for a school of fish or they just like flying the solars like the Hawks do. I see them do it here to out on the river in winter. Once is a rare occasion we see them in summer.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2013
1:11 PM

Post #9390320

Wow! What's a treat to see them in such large flock. Many thanks Donna.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9390465

I am late and I fully agree with Donna. We saw this over our yard last spring! It was beautiful and amazing. We live about 5 miles from a large water source and at that time, it still had water. It dried up with the drought.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9390493

Last year drought was pretty bad Nation wide, sorry the large water source is now dried up. Chillybean. I was so delighted of the amazing sight of these Pelicans. I'm hoping they'll return soon. Thanks again Donna for the positive I.D.

I'm glad you stopped by Chillybean.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9396591

Speaking of wishing upon a star. My wish came true! While heading out to see the Eagle nest this evening, I didn't see the Eagles but to make up for the miss, I saw another flock of Pelicans. That really made my day!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America