Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cacti and Succulents: Freeze is over....

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 13, Views: 173
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9390801

Back to 75F, and life is good.

Thumbnail by GermanStar
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Ravens444
Mission Viejo, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9391070

Isn't it nice to have some sunny days again to walk around a survey the damage!

Thumbnail by Ravens444

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

January 20, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9391579

Perfect time to water the plants here... after the cold, a few days of wind reversal so now warm, dry, dusty conditions.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9391650

Warmed up here in earnest on Thursday, I set my drip system in motion on Friday for the first time in at least a month. There were a few very thirsty Agaves of the none-too-hardy persuasion.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9391701

Which ones are they GermanStar? Or is the list to long to bother? xuling

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9391732

There were quite a few. The fact that they hadn't seen warmth or water in the past few weeks is likely what saved them. Hardy Agaves are quick to harden off and need little or no water when cool (and in fact can be harmed by too much water), while tender Agaves want to keep growing and drinking no matter what. I had 28F tender Agaves (even several Sansevierias!) get through sub-20F temps with little or no damage. And no, it wasn't the end result of a brilliant plan, it was just dumb luck.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9391814

Good for you and the plants. Mine that are in the ground, which is most of them, get all the wintere rain there is because I am not going to try to covere them, like I do with the freezes. We are having the longest stretch of freezing weather that I can remember. 7 or 8 nights now, and another to go (tomorrow). We have had isolated colder spells, but much shorter.This one just keep going. Xuling

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9392324

Good luck! I recall you were none too happy with last winter either. Your reports from last winter inspired me to try A. 'Kissho Kan' and another form of A. isthmensis in the ground, and both made it through this awful freeze undamaged.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9392779

How happy I am to her that. They are tough little cookies. I have pulled out 3 very little plants this years, dead from rot. They really were small and I do not seem to do well with little cactus for some reason. I have crammed most of them into planters except for those that look healthy in the ground. Amost all of those that do die from wet roots are the cheap ones I buy at the big box stores. Not that this makes their loss any more pleasant. All of those ordered on line for the most part do well regardless of the weather. Xuling

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9392910

These baby toes have barely made it through the winter here so far. They will probably get finished off tonight as the temps are going to be around 10 deg F. tonight.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9393886

Here are my three examples of A. isthmensis. My larger 'Kissho Kan' is potted and spent a few days in a heated outdoor storage closet, the other two were outside under small boxes.

Thumbnail by GermanStar   Thumbnail by GermanStar   Thumbnail by GermanStar      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9394042

Our freeze is finally over, the longest one that I can remember. Have had colder nights but not as long as this one lasted. I took off all the covers today, folded and put them away and unfortunately removed 3 rotted plants of decent size: Euphorbia obesa, Mamm. laui fa. subducta and Leuchtenbergia principis (which always looked bad from the first. I bought two at K Mart and the other is looking better but is is a pot and under cover of the front porch.) Xuling

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9398493

My Leuchtenbergia principis made it through 20 degree temps for 5 nights planted under a shrub in my yard without covering. I was so happy because I forgot it was out there and didn't cover it. Also a Mammalaria near it.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9398503

Today in pulling out dead leaves at the bottom of some Agaves I found three more dead plants. I am sure from wet roots. So that makes about 10 in three days. I guess that is why I have established such long wish lists on some of the nursery sites. And tyhere are two or 3 more plants that I anm pretty sure are dead but they are so wonderfu I am waiting until they rot more or hopefully show some life in the springtime. Xuling

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America