Photo by Melody

Trash to Treasure: Old tire rims are good...

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 20, Views: 255
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
5:52 AM

Post #9390941

They make great planters with a round of screen pressed in the bottom. Great for succulents, miniature gardens and more...

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Click an image for an enlarged view.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9390983

What a great way to recycle, I love the mini garden !!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9390998

Super! Excellent use for them. You're really innovative, David!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9391036

Thanks Jasmines Mom, and you don't even have to paint them! They somehow with the rust and all take on a kind-of-sort-of Raku pottery effect?

Go get a couple Arlene!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9391044

I love the rust!
helenchild
Decatur, GA

January 20, 2013
9:52 AM

Post #9391216

I love this idea. Where would you find the old wheels? Seems they wouldn't be thrown out since they would be valuable as metal reclaiming.
Helen

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9391234

Junk yards Helen. Even with metal salvaging they are readily available anywhere mechanics, car lots, or junk yards are. We are a Nation of cars!
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 20, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9391362

I like this idea David. I have some wheels around here too. I'm not using the old Cragar's under the work bench :-) but some odd balls will work. The best part - it's not a magnet for those cottonmouths!

Very cool idea! Thanks!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
12:07 PM

Post #9391376

I would not use the Cragars either! I would hang them on my fence as garden art. I had some beauties (the old magnesium ones that cracked but looked great at the time ) on my long past 65' 'Stang'.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9391534

When I did a search for tire rims I had no idea how many different types there are, David. Which of these is what we'd use in the garden, as you did?

Thanks.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2013
2:56 PM

Post #9391571

Sometimes rims go bad and then they are worthless for cars, I would think a tire store might have some they would give you or sell VERY cheap.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
3:16 PM

Post #9391584

Pat is right. And you would want cheap basic rims like these pictured. Nothing fancy. Use them face down as planters, as the backside attached to the wheel drum is deep dish and where you would want to plant. The front side is relatively shallow. A circle of screen in the bottom and actually with all the extra holes it makes for good root-air contact and superb drainage! These pics depict the shallow front side. They are usually a good 6-8 inches deep and if you get a 15 inch rim you basically have a planter bowl!

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
3:28 PM

Post #9391607

Thanks for all the help, Pat and David.

Looks like I should have taken Auto Repair in Adult Education and not belly dancing!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9391648

Nah, a good belly dancer can find someone to fix the car!!! hehehe
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9391695

Ha! That's a great one - quick thinking.

I really did want to take Belly Dancing but my ex convinced me Chinese Cooking would be better.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2013
4:44 AM

Post #9392056

Ha Ha Ha Ha Haaaa! good ones Pat and Arlene...
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9392142

Well I tried. My husb. has 3 rims out back his workshop but they are to hold salt licks for the cows. So no go. He said its very hard to get the tires off of them. Good excuse.

Oh well with all the people I know around here I'm sure I could round up 1 from their scrap piles of farm equipment.
He did find something that will make a good planter to hang on a fence. Its the bucket with a nipple on it that I used to use to feed calves that their momas abandoned at birth. The old nipple wsa rotted off so all it needs is some weed barrier fabric or small screen to hold the dirt in and then I can plant it and hang on my fence. Saw the idea on internet someplace.

Happy gardening all.

Bonnie
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 21, 2013
10:49 AM

Post #9392451

Pat - I might suggest you go to a tire store. Often people who run over a curb or even a large pothole will bend the rim and it's no longer any good, because the tire won't seal and hold air. That would not matter for a planter. Of course, junk yards are good too, but they'll want to sell them to you because they are worth at least scrap metal prices to them, even bent. You could also check at custom shops where people buy expensive wheels and larger sizes, trashing the stock ones. The stock sizes would work great for this project.

You could also put an ad on Craig's List in the "wanted" section. You could say in the ad, bent wheels, unmatching ones, rusty, etc are okay. People may call you just to be glad to get rid of them, because it's not worth their time to make a trip to the scrap metal place for 1-2 wheels.

Yeah, David the Cragars are a set of 4 and are not going to be yard art. Since they are worth some money to car nuts they are soon to be sold. They came off of a Chevelle (now sold) and are 14". My '71 Z28 Camaro takes 15's. I bought a set of Weld wheels for it. I'm slowly working on it. I was building it to drag race and street, but too many things going on with family including my own health issues and injuries after a tractor-trailer ran a red light and broadsided my car. (obviously not the Camaro) So, SOMEDAY I hope to change the cam and lifters and calm her down a bit and just make a nice cruiser. Of course after I finish the mechanics of it all, I have a new quarter panel to replace the rusted one and it'll need paint. But she's not bad for 42 years old. Here's a pic -

Thumbnail by lovetopaint

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9392542

VERY nice!! My Dad and brothers did some restoring, mostly I just cheer and appreciate the looks of a prime car.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9392603

Sounds like the kind of place I grew up on Bonnie. I live in a residential neighborhood here in DeLand, but the city has been good to me and given me a license to grow and sell plants, and The Florida Ag dept. licensed us too!

I am able to have a dozen chickens and have been raising (and eating!) Blue Tilapia in a 15 ft above-ground pool for 4 years.

I don't think I could get away with a Cow...Ha!

The Water change and Tilapia/chicken crap the plants love though! Its amazing how much one can do on just a little larger then 1/2 acre. Its clear you have a Lot more space.

Thanks for sharing about the Cragars I Love to Paint. Those days for me are well past now though, and I no longer have any...

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9392823

lovetopaint, she's a beauty, I can almost remember when I had my firebird, gee how much I miss that car...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America