Photo by Melody

Article: Reducing Stormwater Runoff by Creating a Rain Garden: We are encouraged here-

Communities > Forums > Article: Reducing Stormwater Runoff by Creating a Rain Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Reducing Stormwater Runoff by Creating a Rain GardenReplies: 7, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

January 20, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9390957

The City of Calgary has been encouraging people to make rain gardens.
They have done some demonstration rain gardens, and City Water Resources
has been giving workshops on these.
We do not get a lot of rain, but when a big dump comes------the storm sewers are
over burdened.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9391075

It's encouraging to see rain gardens now incorporated in parking area fringes in this area. We have a long way to go in cleaning up the Chesapeake Bay.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9391108

The problem here is flash floods.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9391293

Carrie, we went to San Antonio and saw the huge culverts. Rain gardens might be problematic in some areas like flash flood prone.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9391689

My daughter lost her cell phone down a culvert in front of our Little Rented House the week we moved in. And learning to drive across them in a lowered floor converted van was kind of scary.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9391692

When I went to Arizona to see a friend, I was fascinated by all the dry creek landscape features. I got to stay long enough to see one good down pour and all those "dry" creeks come to life with run off, it was beautiful.
zeck
Arp, TX

January 21, 2013
9:04 AM

Post #9392348

Central and west Texas are traversed by rivers and dry creeks sometimes called "arroyos" which can fill rapidly because the soils often contain rock, gravel, and packed sand. Some cities like Euless are in a wide strip of hard, dense, alkaline clay which also carries water very quickly. the article mentions mapping drainage, contours and soil testing..very important! These soils benefit from organic amendments for any garden. Make sure you know how much water you will need to deal with in a heavy rain. Carrie, goggle "Texas Superstars" to get a list of plants which have a proven track record in your area.Note the article on hardy hibiscus in this same email. "Lord Baltimore", "Flare", and "Moy Grande" are three selections of hardy hibiscus which are Texas Superstars and tolerate alkaline soil...ideal for a rain garden provided there is enough sunlight. Carrie, when you get a chance, visit east Texas in any season but especially spring and fall to see natural beauty that is harder to find in the highly populated DFW area. Particularly, Tyler (also called Rose City) has one of the largest municipal rose gardens in the U.S. and award winning demonstration gardens tended by the Smith County Master Gardens. Check out Lake Tyler and Lake Tyler East (where I live) to see two of the cleanest and prettiest lakes in Texas. Even with the low water levels we are now experiencing due to the drought, they are still gorgeous! Also, the magazine "Texas Highways" has many suggestions as to day trips near your area...take care.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2013
2:37 PM

Post #9392723

Thank you, zeck. We did drive up from Austin one time in early spring and all these wildflowers had appeared out of nowhere! Remarkable!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Reducing Stormwater Runoff by Creating a Rain Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great info! I am considering the rain barrel.... clematisqueen 1 Jan 21, 2013 6:47 AM
Uh Oh! StephensMom 0 Jan 21, 2013 10:07 AM
nice picture but... karepkg 0 Jan 21, 2013 3:16 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America