Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beekeeping: wild bees in compost heap

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 1, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Soulsecho
Baltimore, MD

January 20, 2013
3:16 PM

Post #9391585

A colony of wild bee took up residence in my compost pile. They look like honey bees. The entrance to the hive appears to be at the base of the pile. What can I do, should they be removed?
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2013
10:55 AM

Post #9407020

Well, it would create quite a problem for you when you turn the compost, or use it. Most honeybees are pretty peaceful unless they are defending their hive.

Honeybees usually look for a small hole as the entrance with a larger volume of enclosed space. They are not noted as diggers, they almost never hollow out their own nest space. At most they may do a small amount of chewing, such as removing tar paper inside the walls of a house or other building.
Does your compost pile have such a space that they would have moved into?

Maybe they are some other sort of bee that is more willing to dig?
Just as an example, I know they look very different, but Bumble bees would be much more likely to move in to a setting like that. Around here I have seen them in a pile of grass that a guy mowed and added to every week. I have also seen them under a deck, in many years accumulation of leaf litter.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America