Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Watching: Birds Nesting 2013

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 111, Views: 631
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9391703

Hello birds lovers near and far. It's time for the new thread for in no time at all we'll see birds nesting activity for 2013. Please come and share your experience with me and others of your birds activity as spring is fast approaching. We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1287635/

I'll open the thread with a proud moment when I spotted this awesome Bald Eagle at its nesting site which is approximately 8 miles from where I live. Moment later I & hubby saw its partner, and we were fortunate enough to capture the handsome pair together from a distance. Horay! It's indeed the beginning of the nesting season for Eagles in our region. Soon other species of birds will begin theirs (nesting) as well. I'm looking forward to Spring arrival and sharing the pleasure of watching Birds Nesting in the wild as well as in our own backyard.

1. The Awesome bird.
2. The beautiful Pair.
3. The very nest that was built several years past. Last winter I missed capturing their nestlings. But this year I'll keep a close watch of their activity I promised myself.
4. The Eagle nest at close-up.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9391753

From our very own back yard; our 'yard birds' also preparing/choosing their nest boxes...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
6:38 PM

Post #9391785

Backyard Refuge; various birds in the backyard this early morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love      

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9391793

Above, as shown. 1. Two male Eastern Blue Birds were checking out the Nuthatch's nest box. 2. As a result; the White-breasted Nuthatch pair were busy guarding their nest box the remainder of the day. 3. Two female BBs also were currious of the very same nest box.

Here Mallards ducks are looking for suitable nesting sites.
Next pic. is a new nest box that was moved to accomodate other songbirds in the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love         

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9391802

1. Is a tubular nestbox in which I hung at a different location last year. It was out of the way, and I missed the residents that nested there last year. I just now discovered that there was an old nest inside. So it was cleaned out and ready for new tenants to call it home this season.

2. A White-breasted Nuthatch was checking out the Chickadee's 'Pepper house' nest box. At this location a pair of Chickadees attempted to raise a brood last spring, but I failed to find any nestlings. Maybe they will try again this Spring.

3. BBs at the Nuthath's home again.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2013 9:08 PM

JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9392425

Lily_love: I was thrilled to see a bluebird checking out our new nest boxes. I've never had any before and now we have several "hopefuls". My excitement turned to dismay when I saw a mockingbird chase the bluebird away. Now the mocker is perching on top of the post as if he is trying to keep the bluebird away. I have a few other nest boxes, but this specific one was put at the correct height/ hole size for the bluebirds. Is this common behavior - and should I worry that the bluebirds won't come now since this bully is chasing them away?

Maybe we'll enlarge another box's entrance to a bluebird-sized hole so the bluebirds can choose another one?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9392895

Hi Julie,
Quoting: I was thrilled to see a bluebird checking out our new nest boxes.
. I can recall my first thrills seeing BBs frequenting the new nestbox. In my case, it was my first one. Which was back in 2011. The BBs would come to assess the location and evaluated the safety issues. But the actual nesting didn't take place until the following year. Infact 2012 was my first year hosting them. So be patience, these BBs are gentle birds, but they can defend for themselves.
Quoting: Is this common behavior -...
Julie; As far as Mockingbirds bossing them (BBs and other smaller birds) around. That's because they CAN, it's common for Mockingbirds to try to intimidate dogs-- It happened to mine. When that happens, the dog was ablivious to the aggressor above its head. But no harm done really. It was amusing as heck to the observer. I think territory isn't the issue here. Mockingbirds build their nests among thick shrubery and discrete places. So if they are presence maybe they are duking it out over foods issues--and not competing for nestboxes? I didn't seem to have much problem with Mockers chasing my BBs last year, but just like you. My heart skipped a beat when I spotted a Mockingbird chased one of my bluebirds away from another nestbox that I hung way up high on another tall tree this morning. I think the smart BB was just distracting the Mocker. What I have planned of doing is set out a seeds feeder near where the Mockingbird's juvies were spotted last year, which was NOT anywhere near my Blues nestbox is. Hopefully that will lure the Mockingbirds away from the BBs area. And, when I set out mealworms for BBs and other small song birds. I set them out on this feeder that allows only small birds access to the treats, and keep larger birds like Mockers, and Cardinals away. Hopefully after a while with many unsuccessful attempts at getting to the mealworms, the Mockingbirds will leave the BBs alone.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
11:14 AM

Post #9393749

I have seen mockingbirds kill bluebirds. They are very territorial! I have also seen a mockingbird snatch a small (unidentified) bird out of the air!

Some years we see lots of mockingbirds, but no bluebirds. This winter we have lots of bluebirds. I've not seen a mockingbird for several months - I think our resident hawk eats them!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9393927

HoneybeeNC wrote:I have seen mockingbirds kill bluebirds. They are very territorial! I have also seen a mockingbird snatch a small (unidentified) bird out of the air!

Some years we see lots of mockingbirds, but no bluebirds. This winter we have lots of bluebirds. I've not seen a mockingbird for several months - I think our resident hawk eats them!

Nature could be very harsh indeed. In a perfect world; our beloved BBs would be totally trouble-free. My heart broke, when my Pappa Blue evidently was captured by a Cooper Hawk last year and left the brood to his mate to care for the rest of the season. Though, there was another 'suitor' Bluebird came along soon after Pappa Blue was killed, apparently things didn't work out. The new beau didn't 'adopt' the brood, and bullied the juvies ... to the point I saw Mama Blue had to intervene. Needless to say; there was no subsequent nesting for Mama Blue that season.

This year, like you. I've seen numerous BBs in the vicinity. I can't say for certain it's more or less than the expected average Blues population. I'm just delighted to see many of 'em. As a relatively new host to my BBs. I'll do the best I can to provide for them as best as I can for life is fragile indeed.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9393929

p.s. Please forgive my typo above;. I meant to say
Quoting: As a relatively new host ...
I meant to say hostess. lol

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
2:38 PM

Post #9393938

The day was relatively quiet. I saw my White-breasted Nuthatch pair guarding their 'home' but no evident of nest building activity. Other song birds such as Chickadees, Tufted Titmice besides the BBs have discovered the mealworms buffet to my liking. There are enough treats available for small song birds. I didn't see the residential mocker around...

1. Male WBNH patrolling the nest, while his mate was 'housekeeping' inside the nest box as seen on the 3rd pic.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
2:58 PM

Post #9393955

Mourning Doves too paired up--for the courtship. Last Spring I learned that Doves begun their nesting season as early as Feb. in our area. It's said that Doves' nest are flimsy built with sticks and such, but I have yet found one active one around the garden. I however, saw many Doves' juveniles last year. So I'm keeping my eyes peeled for their nesting activity this year.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9393969

A male Northern Cardinal shows his 'color'. They (Cardinal species) appeared to co-exist with others yardbirds peacefully. When the mating season begins however, Cardinals will do what they do best-- their characteristic behavior--chasing other Cardinals around the garden. You've gotta love their antics.

Next; to my amazement. Blue Birds didn't show up in the backyard until- I went out with the mealworm treats...pics. to follow.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2013 5:40 PM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9393977

This row of birdhouses were meant to attract Purple Martins. Though, thus far there have been a few P.Martins that came by to investigate the gourd nest boxes (last year), but no taker as of yet. Other songs birds such as Titmice, Chickadees, and even Blue Birds have frequently visited these houses.

Correction: The birds I thought were Purple Martins that came by the gourd nestboxes were actually Tree Swallows.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2013 7:24 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9394006

As mentioned earlier; Blue Birds didn't show up early this morning. But, as soon as I sent out mealworms to various feeders in the garden. Here they come.

JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9394118

Well, thanks for the info on the mockingbird vs bluebird. I'm glad I don't have a crazy mean mockingbird, just a naturally mean one. haha

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9394147

An adorable nestling last spring.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9394612

Blue Birds are out and about early this morning. They visited the water bowl, and were looking for breakfast.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
7:56 AM

Post #9394620

Well, breakfast was served, and look who came to join in with the crowd? Mrs. Cardinal that's who.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9394624

Soon Mr. Cardinal came and join in with the Mrs.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9394631

Pappa Blue took a stance at the feeder, and I was currious if the Cardinal will pick a fight?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9395305

As it turned out, the male Cardinal left the feeder. I'm not sure if it's because the mealworms were all gone, or the Cardinal was just a peaceful lad. :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9395313

Sometimes during the day I noticed there were "nester hopeful" on another nest box that was hung up high. This one is approximate 10-12 feet above ground level. Last year, I thought Titmice were interested in the 'house'. But this year, this unidentified bird is showing interest.

I am hoping this maybe a Tree Sparrow, and not a House Sparrow. Time will tell.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9397099

Yesterday DH and I decided to return to the Eagles nest and hoping to see some nesting activity. On the way, we spotted this flock of birds... I didn't find out until after I uploaded the pics. into the pc and discovered those were American Pelicans passing through our area lake. We didn't find the Eagles near their nest however.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9397101

At home, my Blue Birds came and pirched on the row of Purple Martins' houses begging for meallies early in the morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
7:37 AM

Post #9397111

Meet 'Ricky and Lucy of Alabama'; my Carolina Chickadees pair that attempted nesting in the garden (as I observed 'em) last year. Likes Marna's own Ricky and Lucy, ours didn't have success last year. By far this year. The Chickadees as shown here have demonstrated lots of interest in these Gourd house.

Here one can see Lucy or Ricky checking the nest box out as the visiting Goldfinch was looking on.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9397121

Having watched these BBs closely, I have reason to believe this female BB could be the very same Moma that raised her brood here in the garden last Spring. Although the nestbox was moved to a different location away from my sideyard arbor. She's shown a perferrence of the familiar old box over the new cedar nestbox that we recently installed at the old location.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9397124

Same female with her new suitor sharing a meal.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9397126

Oooops, sorry WRONG pic. That's actually Moma Blue with Ricky or Lucy.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
7:56 AM

Post #9397128

Here is the Bluebirds pair

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9397138

Moma and Pappa Blue have had compititor (this early morning), the new male arrived at the site and drove the female off the nestbox as her beau was looking on...

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9397140

Minutes later -- I couldn't tell who is who just some dazzling blue birds appeared to compete for the nestbox as its own.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9397159

The Doves couple stays cozy and travels everywhere within the garden together.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9397163

Other species of birds are getting ready to pair up too but courting behavior hasn't been seen on these other species yet. Here Finches and Pappa Blue share a bird bath.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9397173

My poor little Carolina Wren's looking up to the mighty Papa Blue. lol Not to worry, I've set up other meallies feeders and these industrious Wrens will be one of the first to discover the meallie treats. That's all for now until new development sought in the garden. How about yours ? Please come and join in the discussion with your finding.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9399244

Wooohooo! We spotted the Eagle couple at the nest!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9399252

This is to assure us, that indeed the couple is working on building their nest for the season. Soon after we arrived, the two left the nest one by one, but remained close to each other.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9399393

Not knowing if there are eggs presence. But the two birds were gingerly walking about the nest before one took off from the nest, then the other one followed suit.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9399406

The day was a mild winter day, the scenery at the nesting site is beautiful. I'm looking forward to updating the progress of these birds nesting in a few days. I thought, it's worth to be mentioned. Many a Blue Birds singing were noticed in the vicinity. I wish if I could locate the Blue Birds near by, but I couldn't.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9399414

Lily, what is behind you and the camera? Any water or is this right in the middle of a field?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9399436

Mrs. Ed, behind us is a small residential area. In front of us at the forefront of the field is a large body of water several hundred yards wide that is called 'Clear Creek' a branch off of Logan Martin lake. Maybe you can google earth the exact location. The junction where most birders gather to watch these awesome birds is Moreland lane that intersects with Renfroe Road.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9399451

ah, so the water is past the cows. I was just wondering if Eagles nested away from water at all, as I had never seen that happen.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9399455

Precisely, there is water behind where the cows are. The pasture is absolutely beautiful. I'm so envious of people that live near the area. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9405360

First day of Feb. Hurry up Spring! There are a pair of White-breasted Nuthatch that have been calling this (nest box) theirs, and quite capable of defending it last several years.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9405361

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9405364

The above caption: Mamma Blue tells Pappa Blue "I tell you, this house is taken".

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9405367

Moma Blue took off, left Pappa wondering ...

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9405376

Ummm.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9405380

These Northern friends, decided to stay behind and start a family this season, I think.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9407978

Mrs. Ed. I'm with you on the 300mm lenses. It will not "reach" the birds from a distance. This is from my new camera; DH and I went back to the local Bald Eagle Nest, I took many practice shots, and was very disappointed with many of them. On the other hand, we learned from talking with experienced birders at the site, is that even though we didn't get to see the Eagles last year. She did and knew that two fledglings successfully fledged around mid June last year.

This maybe the Moma Eagle.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9407987

*nodding* I feel your pain. Even with the 100-400, it is not enough and I have to ind a way to get closer.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
8:26 AM

Post #9407997

Oh wait, wait. There is this birder that has a Canon 6D EOS with a 400 lense. She has a website with her Eagles photos that are out of this world. I'll dmail you her local picasa web to see her fabulous images that she has made.

At the mean time, wouldn't you believe it. I've seen Mallards and Mourning Doves are showing their mating bahaviors. I am looking forward to finding some Doves nesting this year.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9414289

Hi everyone, here is an update of the Eagle nest. Last time I posted the photos of the Eagles, I learned a few things (that are new to me) about Eagles; that most often it's the female that goes out of the nest and hunts for food. That left the male at or near the nest most often time.

Last Sunday while we were there, we saw one Eagle on the nest. Not knowing that was the male or female. A little while later, the bird flew off the nest and perched nearby. Then I heard a loud bird call. Unsure it was from the one that pirched on the tree or the approaching one. As it turned out the second approaching Eagle was clutching a large fish with its tallons. I asked the experienced birder; "So is that the male bringing food home?" The lady told me it's likely the female that brought the fish and it was the male that we first saw. Hah! So we've a Stays at-home Dad in the birds worlds!

Today we returned to the nesting site. The day is over cast, we saw only one (bird) sitting on the nest. This must be the male and I assumed his mate is out hunting.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9422132

Hubby and I established a day to watch the Eagles together on Sundays. We returned to the nest today and right off we spotted one sitting on the nest as previous, then after we scanned the area we saw its mate sitting on a bare branch of a deciduous tree nearby. shortly after, the one sitting outside flew off. So I have a hunt that Papa is sitting on eggs? While Mama is out 'fishing' as usual.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
1:10 PM

Post #9422148

Today probably is the coldest day of the year by far. Temp. drops to mid 20F. during the night, the bird bath iced solid, various Sparrows are looking into nest boxes in which I'm not sure if they were looking for roosting shelters, or nesting places? Others pairing up like these Mourning Doves. The Blue birds staying close to their own reserved nest boxes and defended for their territory.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9422171

Here come the Mallards, I hope this is the very same drake that lost his mate last year, returning with a new mate for the nesting season this year.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9426721

Here goes! Today is the first time I see White Breasted Nuthatch is actively building their nest. Saw this one bringing a big 'ole tree bark into the nest box this morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2013
7:40 PM

Post #9430464

Saw the male WBNH brings his mate tree bark and straw to the nest box today. The female (WBNH) was busy inside 'decorateing' the nursery. The Mockingbird was bullying the Blue Birds all around the backyard, but for some reason, it didn't pay the Nuthatches any notice.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   

JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9431500

Woo hoo! Bluebirds are back and the mockingbird is leaving them alone. Hope to have them nesting this year...

Thumbnail by JulieQ

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9437325

Hi JulieQ, I'm glad to hear that the Mockingbird is leaving the BBs alone. How are the Nesting hopefuls doing currently? My Mockingbird pair are the dominants birds in the garden at present. I've tried to move some of the feeders closer to their nest where I saw their nestling last year, toward the front yard. Hopefully they'll eventually leave my Eastern Blue Birds alone.

Yesterday DH and I went by to see the Eagles nest. We saw one sat on the nest. Hope it's incubating time? I wished, I wished.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9466917

1. Papa Blue bird stands guard of the house.
2. Nesting material is present inside; however, there is no egg yet.
3. Another bird house with nesting materials.
4. This new birdhouse was 'designed' for Wrens. I've seen nesting materials inside, but not sure which species has claimed the nest box.
5. Blue Birds apparently have won out; they hung tough in the designated area, and waited for the mockingbirds to get tired of chasing them. Now they reclaimed their territory and apparently have claimed new nest boxes around the garden. I've noticed mockingbirds have retrieved back to the front of the garden, which is a bit further away from the blue birds' nests.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9466928

To Lily... I was wondering if it was safe to check out the boxes without scaring them away. Maybe I'll go take a peek.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9467007

JulieQ, although this is my 3rd year hosting BBs. I've learned from other experienced hosts (right here at Dave's) that BBs are quite tolerance of us briefly visiting their "homes". That said, this is my 1st year of "visiting" their nests at such close proximity. For previous years, the old nest boxes that I used didn't have easy access to the doors, thus I've not been able to see them in this intimate setting. My main goal is to be able to peek at the eggs and hatchlings this year without disturbing them very much.

Just an update. The 2nd nestbox posted above on #3. Indeed is being taking by BBs. I thought Carolina Chickadees pair have claimed the box, apparently another pair of BBs have taken an interest in the box. So, I went and put out more meallies for them this evening.

Spring is suddenly appearing in our corner of the woods. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9467097

You sure have a lot going on Lily and I love seeing your pics of spring! Can't wait for ours to arrive and some dry warm weather. We put our Purple Martin gourds up yesterday and I hope to see some very soon. Good luck on your nests this year and happy spring to those in the south.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9467391

Rose, thanks. I wish you too will enjoy the beauty of Spring real soon. Many 'snow birds' such as Juncos and American Coots are still down here that implies winter is still further North. When Spring finally there, I will miss these snow birds down here, I think.

I do not know for sure if Brown Headed-Nuthatch will nest down South? I've a pair of the BHNH routinely coming to my suet and seeds feeder. It would be so neat if they do.

Happy Easter everyone.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9469193

1. Another bird house is chosen; not sure which specie though. Nesting material can bee seen from the opening.
2. Spring is really here.
3. This is the 2nd year these gourd houses are up. So are the second year Tree Swallows show interests in them, but no active nest building activity here.
4. & 5 Carolina Chickadees pair are once again reclaiming this 'hot peppers' house as their own.

Also today I discovered the Cardinal female has begun her nest building among the bamboo grove. No pic. yet. Also the Mallards have made a failed attempt of nesting by the backyard. More on that later. Have a good night folks.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 1, 2013
11:36 PM

Post #9469382

Nice photos, Kim. Springs really has arrived at your place.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2013
4:46 AM

Post #9469452

That fishing basket is such a cute little house! So nice to see those tulips and green stuff at your house.
dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9473116

Good grief Kim...you sure look like spring and I love all your cute bird houses!

The Purple Martins have show up and I got a few shots which I will try and post later. So far it looks like there are 5 of them.

Also our first two Barn Swallows showed today and have been spotted flying through the hay barn.

Yippee...looks like spring is here!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2013
7:55 PM

Post #9473233

Hi Margaret and Marna and Rose, sorry I've been so very busy and couldn't hop on here to post. Just have enough time to say hi briefly. My gourd houses so far attracted many on-lookers. But no actual tenants as of yet. LOL. Rose congrats on your spring arrival along with the Purple Martins and Barn Swallows.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2013
5:57 AM

Post #9484474

I guess things are "heating up" here in the nesting category. The Cardinal pair has already made a nest in the sweet autumn clematis vine on the fence. Pity I didn't get it trimmed back first, but I guess then it would not have been attractive to them. This is the second cardinal nest I will have had there. Chickadees have claimed their usual box. And a nuthatch pair have been collecting materials. I don't know where they are nesting yet, as they few off before I could follow the direction. I just know it is NOT in the nestbox i have for them. ha.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2013
2:57 AM

Post #9486801

Congrats on the two cardinal nests Marna. I've one that built her nest once again in the bamboo grove in the front yard. By far, I haven't much success with my nesting this year. My Nuthatches apparently gave up on the the house that they used to nest the last few years because the Blue birds kept chasing them off. Now, Tree Swallows are taking an interest in that nest box. Another dominant pair have frequented the gourd houses, and dominated over the BBs even. BBs usually perche on the gourd houses to beg for meallie, but the tree swallows really didn't like that. It doesn't look like I'll see nuthatch'es or BBs' babies this year. Though, they come to the feeders regular in which I'm glad.
I think my Titmice are nesting up high on an oak tree in the back where woodpecker has created a hole back there. Oh, one dreaded news, my chickadee's nest was destroyed so I found yesterday. Not sure what got hold of the bird, the eggs too were vanished. I am so sad. That isn't all. My Mallard nesting failed too this season. A new mama Mallard came in early March, laid 4 eggs in an open plant's container. Needless to say, Crows found the eggs, and that was the end of it.

Rose, spring came in like a Lion. Infact, we appeared to have skipped spring, we went from Winter directly into summer--it was nearly 80' yesterday. Trees are all greening up-- seems as if over night. I'll post more nesting activity in the garden as I get time to do so. Happy birding everyone.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2013
4:48 AM

Post #9486854

Sorry about your first nest failures Kim, but it's a long season. Looks like everyone is building, as I've seen lots of birds collecting nesting materials.

Boy that's some beautiful spring you have there! Can't wait until it looks like that here. I do have some little color, thanks to Donna, who gave me some early blooming daffodils and glory of the snow bulbs. :)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9494382

Rose and Marna, is Spring officially there yet for you? Down South it came in like a Lion., though, we've experienced some unusual, late cool spells. Temp. dipped down to the 30'ish in mid-April. Currently, I've half a dozen BBs eggs, I'm so happy about that. Another bird house with Chickadees actively going in and out, so I'm hoping they're rebuilding their nest--though it could be a different pair. No news on my precious Mallards. Today, I just found out there is a dominant pair of Tree Swallows finally decided to build their own nest. It appears to me, these birds aren't communal nesters? They (as I've observed) have been chasing any other birds coming near--including their own species. And this morning, the male was sitting guard and calling to his mate, then just a little while ago. The female begun to build her nest, the 3rd gourd from the left of the 6 gourd houses in the backyard. As of now, my pc is giving me trouble uploading pix. So when I get it up and running again, I'll share some pics.
Also, Moma cardinal is often seen sitting on her nest, I'll need to return to the Eagle nest to find out their activity this coming weekend. Happy birding everyone.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9494911

Hey Kim, we're still having below average temps here, so seems like we are running behind. And that's funny because last year we were nearly a month ahead. Weird.

From what I understand the tree swallows are pretty much like the bluebirds, chickadees and nuthatch with their cavity nesting. Indeed not communal. I'd love to have those around, good bug eaters! And cute as a button.

Anyway, good news/bad news I guess with my cardinals. They must have seen me poking around in the clematis because they dismantled the nest and moved. LOL. So I took the opportunity to trim the dead off the vine and get it on a proper trellis. Now if they want to build there, they will have more support. I was just too nervous about how they had it built this time. I haven't checked the Dee box yet, but I've seen activity there.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9499994

No new pix to share as of now, yesterday DH and I stopped by the Eagle Nest and found one of the Parent eagle stood guard nearby the nest, and we were able to spot an Eaglet from the distance. Took some pics. but I still can't down load pics. :((
Marna, I don't seem to have much lucks this year with nesting birds. The Swallows were enthusiastic one day; busy bringing nesting materials. Then, the following day the weather turned windy, and since, I haven't seen them coming back? On the positive note, the BBs haven't skipped a beat; it appears that the pair promptly showed up at the mealies feeder every time I'm out with their favorite meals. Yesterday while out and about, I saw Mallard babies, and Geese goslings in the park. Also, I have seen many a Brown-headed Nuthaches in the back yard; I often wondered if they nest around here. Yesterday, I found out the answer; while at the park, I heard a racket of noises (bird chirping) overhead on top of a large pine tree. I looked up and saw 3 presumably young Brown-headed Nuthatches. They appeared to forage among the young pine's catkins and what-not. After a little while, a pair of fledglings were "wrestling" each other and felf fell down onto the ground. It took me by suprise, so I came near and investigate what was going on with the birds. One bird promptly flew off, the other wasn't able to fly away immediately but hop-hop away from danger(me). I stood there in awe, the younguns were just "stretching" their wings, so to speak, lol. I'm one lucky individual to have seen nature unfolding right before my eyes. Hope all are well where you're. Spring is here for us, and April rain will bring May's flowers. It sure has been one wet one!

This message was edited Apr 28, 2013 1:14 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9516145

Wooohooo! I once again have Mallard's eggs!!! All 3 of them. Will post pics. to share ASAP. Oh, it appears this year, our Eagle has but one eaglet, We saw the chick last weekend, and will return there this weekend to check on the nest. But otherwise, the chick is doing well. Back at home, I've 5 Blue Birds' eggs. I am hoping to find the Blue birds hatchlings any day. Keeping my fingers crossed.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 10, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9516277

That's great news, Kim. Have they nested in the plant pots again? (the mallards, not the eagles)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9516694

Hi Margaret, lol It's the mallards indeed. Nature is wonderfully amazing; as one may recall. In the height of summer here last year. The mother Mallard went missing just a day or two before the eggs hatched. But the majority of the nearly dozen eggs hatched within 24-48 hours after the mother went missing. To make the long story short-- the majority of ducklings were safely adopted and raised by my neighbor's young family, who love nature as much as I do. Came this early spring, a new female Mallard was seen in the vicinity. Approximately March, she laid 3-4 eggs, but due to her inexperience ; the duck has chosen another flower pot which didn't have tall plants to help conceal her eggs, I noticed too, unlike the previous female mallard, the young mom didn't know how to "cover" her eggs when she leaves the nest/flower container. As a result, crows and Herons apparently promptly discovered the ducks eggs and destroyed her initial attempt. I thought; oh my, that was the end of my hope to see the sweet mallard family for this year. Well, I was wrong. For the last week, I've seen the male Mallard staying close, despite a minor flood that we've experienced in the area lake which lasted nearly a week...
Yesterday, the water finally returned to its normal level, while I was surveying the damage around the backyard (caused by the flood), I was delightfully surprised by finding the duck eggs! And wouldn't you know it. The young mother-to-be mallard, has learned to cover her eggs this time! How wonderfully amazing mother nature is!

I've captured a picture of the new Mallard momma sitting on the nest this morning. Will share picture when I can. Happy Mother Day to everyone. Happy birding as well. :-)

Due to technical difficulty, I haven't been able to upload new pics. into the pc for the last month... I've been busy, and didn't have the problem resolved. But here are a couple pics from April.

1. Mallards in the area before the flood.
2. The new Mallard nesting pot is to the very left; where I've moved a semi-weeping myrtle tree (in the white container) to partially hide the duck nest. (Oh needless to say, my beloved Jelly Bean--the gardener helper is beeing kept in the house with a close supervision while outside at present).

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 11, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9517348

I look forward to updates. You've described the situation very well, Kim.
JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9525686

A pair of wrens have begun nesting right next to my window in the middle of some virginia creeper. This will be fun to watch.

Thumbnail by JulieQ

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9526107

Good grief, that's adorable Julie!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9543542

JulieQ, that's absolutely adorable. Here is a few update from me. In and around the garden bird nesting hasn't been the best for me. My Mallards failed twice at nesting attempts this spring. My BB failed the first attempt. But at present I currently have 4 eggs as of today. Also I thought I saw a male BB bringing a fledgling to the mealies feeder this morning -- which was a delight for me (they must have came from my neighborhood's). My cardinal first nesting must have fledged (I missed them all together), and now they have built another nest within the bamboo groove. Down the road from us, the Eagle nest with their single Eaglet have left the nest, but still remain near in the area. DH and I went out there to find one of the Parents was perching with the offspring on a distant pine tree.

1. The eagle nest
2. Parent and offspring perch on a nearby pine tree wich is roughly 200 yards from the nest.
3. The Blue Bird eggs in the back yard.

JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2013
5:56 AM

Post #9544217

Our bluebirds are still taking food to the nestbox, and I haven't seen the babies yet. I am too scared to go look. haha I can hear them chirping away however.

I did see my chickadee babies already. SO cute, no pictures though. You have to be really lucky to see them coming and going.

This is our first year with the nestboxes so I am so happy to have anything!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9544286

Congrats on your success Julie. We're indeed blessed to be able to watch nature as it's. Thank you for sharing what's all going on in your garden with me and others.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9554244

It's very encouraging; my BB momma continues to sit on the 4 eggs. She'd fly out when she spot me in the garden as if she's begging for mealworms. I feed her regularly, and the male occasionally visits. This week, the Red-bellied woodpecker papa brought his young to the feeder. Here is the fledgling;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 10, 2013
6:53 PM

Post #9554249

That's lovely, Kim.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9554826

Thanks Margaret, I saw both of the Blue birds, Ma and Pa at the feeder this morning. Yeahhh!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2013
9:36 AM

Post #9556309

The morning started out with beautiful blossoms in the garden, then I thought I'd check my BBs' nest. Sadly, there is no BBs singing in the garden today. The 4 blue eggs were disappeared! It's such a sad sad day for my blue birds.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 12, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9556756

That's awful. Kim. What do you think may have taken them?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2013
5:59 PM

Post #9556805

Oh Margaret, I afraid snake is probable since no other critters could reach deep into the nest box. Jim has a mini-vacation beginning tomorrow. He'll see about moving the box from my arbor's side panel and mount it on a pvc pipe. I may add a baffle beneath the box to give added protection.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 12, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9556883

Good thinking on the PVC pole, Kim.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2013
10:46 PM

Post #9558396

A robin in a funny spot.

Thumbnail by lavender4ever

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2013
6:02 AM

Post #9558570

Welcome Louise to the thread. Thank you for sharing the pic. of the Robin. Keep us posted if the Robin's nesting progress. Margaret, other birds lovers has recommended the PVC poles idea. I went to the box store asked about PVC pipes, the sale person recommended them as well.

At the meantime the Red-bellied Woodpecker Papa continues to bring his fledgling to the seeds feeder. He would search out for a seed, perch at this particular spot, cracks the nut into small pieces to feed his young. What's a heart warming sign! Moma WP must be building the next brood. :-)

1. The RBWP fledgling
2. Papa's cracking the nut prior to feeding
3. Little one came to get his meal. The little one usually tries to hide from my direct vision from the window.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9558651

Kim, I have my chickadee/wren box on a PVC pole, sort of. I first pounded in a big rebar rod, then slipped a painted PVC pole over it. If I had snakes, I'd have the baffle, but currently I don't need it. If you remember, Dave has his on a baffled shepherd hook that he can move around.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9558860

Hi Marna, I don't remember the baffled shepherd hook that Dave has. Have you got a picture to share? Oh my oh my! I just looked out the nest box and a bird flew out from it. I guessed mama Blue returned. Oh my Blue!
JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9559283

Not a great picture, but you can see momma wren on the nest. Recently have seen two little mouths that she is feeding. Fun and cute.

Thumbnail by JulieQ

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2013
5:52 PM

Post #9559337

I see your wren... she is a cutie!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2013
5:03 AM

Post #9559640

While working out in the garden yesterday, hubby replaced the Blue bird's nest box onto a pvc pole and added the baffle beneath the post. Hope that will help protecting future nesting.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9560284

looks good!

I don't recall having a picture of Dave's shepherd hook and I don't know if was baffled or not. You can probably Dmail him.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9560305

Thanks Marna, speaking of Dave. I haven't seen his posting lately. I hope he hasn't jumped ship... I meant he hasn't left DG. Oh, I set up the bird cam to spy on the birdhouse. By far, I only capture pics. of myself and Jim passing by the nest box. lol.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2013
4:38 AM

Post #9561882

haha. might want to change that sensitivity to HIGH for a while and see what that gives you.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9562057

Thanks Marna, I will change the Camera setting. Thanks for the tip.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9562063

that will pick up every little bug that flies by! Speaking of the bird camera, I should get mine on that wren nest. Looks to be pretty busy today. I have not been paying much attention to it with so many other things going on right now.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9562168

Do share your Wren's nest pics. when you get some. Hope you're having fun while you are busy with other things. I just returned from my morning walk, and saw the BBs just arrives to check the nest box over ( I think). Will set bird cam out with high sensitivity today.

The great blue heron is quite away from the nest. It looks pretty from a distant, but it sure wrecked havoc on my Mallard's nesting this year. :((

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 17, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9562640

Kim, I'm sorry about your birdy losses. What a pity that GBH loated the mallards.

Marna, I've still got several photos of that wren spitting great gobfulls of nesting material out of that box. So funny.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9562758

hah. yah, that was a funny dude. While this year I saw the chickadees in and out of the box, it was not very often and I don't think that they had built a nest before being kicked out. Maybe next year. Definitely some babies in there now, as I was working near the box this morning and saw a wren with a bug going in there. I think I may only be seeing one parent though.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2013
2:07 PM

Post #9575968

This hasn't been a good year for me as far as nesting goes. I'm pleased to see others with success, those in DG and my neighborhood alike. I think I may have blamed the Herons and Crows and what's not, but it could have been the eggs were fallen to the raccoon's. DH found one climbed up the grain feeder last week. sign! On the positive note, I saw neighbors' blue birds with their young. And I found this Momma Mallard with her little ones in tow at the local park this morning. That surely made my day.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9591266

Looky!!!! Odd thing is that this is the exact location where a nest has been before. Must be the perfect branch! Probably about 10' away on the tree trunk is a nest box where the house wrens are having a second brood. No pix yet on that.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2013
8:07 AM

Post #9591353

Oooh looking, looking. lol What kind of bird is that sits in the nest?

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9591357

That's a Robin!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9591363

Awwww! Sweet!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America