Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Birds Nesting 2013

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hello birds lovers near and far. It's time for the new thread for in no time at all we'll see birds nesting activity for 2013. Please come and share your experience with me and others of your birds activity as spring is fast approaching. We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1287635/

I'll open the thread with a proud moment when I spotted this awesome Bald Eagle at its nesting site which is approximately 8 miles from where I live. Moment later I & hubby saw its partner, and we were fortunate enough to capture the handsome pair together from a distance. Horay! It's indeed the beginning of the nesting season for Eagles in our region. Soon other species of birds will begin theirs (nesting) as well. I'm looking forward to Spring arrival and sharing the pleasure of watching Birds Nesting in the wild as well as in our own backyard.

1. The Awesome bird.
2. The beautiful Pair.
3. The very nest that was built several years past. Last winter I missed capturing their nestlings. But this year I'll keep a close watch of their activity I promised myself.
4. The Eagle nest at close-up.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

From our very own back yard; our 'yard birds' also preparing/choosing their nest boxes....

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Backyard Refuge; various birds in the backyard this early morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Above, as shown. 1. Two male Eastern Blue Birds were checking out the Nuthatch's nest box. 2. As a result; the White-breasted Nuthatch pair were busy guarding their nest box the remainder of the day. 3. Two female BBs also were currious of the very same nest box.

Here Mallards ducks are looking for suitable nesting sites.
Next pic. is a new nest box that was moved to accomodate other songbirds in the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

1. Is a tubular nestbox in which I hung at a different location last year. It was out of the way, and I missed the residents that nested there last year. I just now discovered that there was an old nest inside. So it was cleaned out and ready for new tenants to call it home this season.

2. A White-breasted Nuthatch was checking out the Chickadee's 'Pepper house' nest box. At this location a pair of Chickadees attempted to raise a brood last spring, but I failed to find any nestlings. Maybe they will try again this Spring.

3. BBs at the Nuthath's home again.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2013 9:08 PM

Bella Vista, AR(Zone 6b)

Lily_love: I was thrilled to see a bluebird checking out our new nest boxes. I've never had any before and now we have several "hopefuls". My excitement turned to dismay when I saw a mockingbird chase the bluebird away. Now the mocker is perching on top of the post as if he is trying to keep the bluebird away. I have a few other nest boxes, but this specific one was put at the correct height/ hole size for the bluebirds. Is this common behavior - and should I worry that the bluebirds won't come now since this bully is chasing them away?

Maybe we'll enlarge another box's entrance to a bluebird-sized hole so the bluebirds can choose another one?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Julie,

Quoting:
I was thrilled to see a bluebird checking out our new nest boxes.
. I can recall my first thrills seeing BBs frequenting the new nestbox. In my case, it was my first one. Which was back in 2011. The BBs would come to assess the location and evaluated the safety issues. But the actual nesting didn't take place until the following year. Infact 2012 was my first year hosting them. So be patience, these BBs are gentle birds, but they can defend for themselves.
Quoting:
Is this common behavior -...
Julie; As far as Mockingbirds bossing them (BBs and other smaller birds) around. That's because they CAN, it's common for Mockingbirds to try to intimidate dogs-- It happened to mine. When that happens, the dog was ablivious to the aggressor above its head. But no harm done really. It was amusing as heck to the observer. I think territory isn't the issue here. Mockingbirds build their nests among thick shrubery and discrete places. So if they are presence maybe they are duking it out over foods issues--and not competing for nestboxes? I didn't seem to have much problem with Mockers chasing my BBs last year, but just like you. My heart skipped a beat when I spotted a Mockingbird chased one of my bluebirds away from another nestbox that I hung way up high on another tall tree this morning. I think the smart BB was just distracting the Mocker. What I have planned of doing is set out a seeds feeder near where the Mockingbird's juvies were spotted last year, which was NOT anywhere near my Blues nestbox is. Hopefully that will lure the Mockingbirds away from the BBs area. And, when I set out mealworms for BBs and other small song birds. I set them out on this feeder that allows only small birds access to the treats, and keep larger birds like Mockers, and Cardinals away. Hopefully after a while with many unsuccessful attempts at getting to the mealworms, the Mockingbirds will leave the BBs alone.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I have seen mockingbirds kill bluebirds. They are very territorial! I have also seen a mockingbird snatch a small (unidentified) bird out of the air!

Some years we see lots of mockingbirds, but no bluebirds. This winter we have lots of bluebirds. I've not seen a mockingbird for several months - I think our resident hawk eats them!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Quote from HoneybeeNC :
I have seen mockingbirds kill bluebirds. They are very territorial! I have also seen a mockingbird snatch a small (unidentified) bird out of the air!

Some years we see lots of mockingbirds, but no bluebirds. This winter we have lots of bluebirds. I've not seen a mockingbird for several months - I think our resident hawk eats them!

Nature could be very harsh indeed. In a perfect world; our beloved BBs would be totally trouble-free. My heart broke, when my Pappa Blue evidently was captured by a Cooper Hawk last year and left the brood to his mate to care for the rest of the season. Though, there was another 'suitor' Bluebird came along soon after Pappa Blue was killed, apparently things didn't work out. The new beau didn't 'adopt' the brood, and bullied the juvies ... to the point I saw Mama Blue had to intervene. Needless to say; there was no subsequent nesting for Mama Blue that season.

This year, like you. I've seen numerous BBs in the vicinity. I can't say for certain it's more or less than the expected average Blues population. I'm just delighted to see many of 'em. As a relatively new host to my BBs. I'll do the best I can to provide for them as best as I can for life is fragile indeed.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

p.s. Please forgive my typo above;. I meant to say

Quoting:
As a relatively new host ....
I meant to say hostess. lol

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The day was relatively quiet. I saw my White-breasted Nuthatch pair guarding their 'home' but no evident of nest building activity. Other song birds such as Chickadees, Tufted Titmice besides the BBs have discovered the mealworms buffet to my liking. There are enough treats available for small song birds. I didn't see the residential mocker around....

1. Male WBNH patrolling the nest, while his mate was 'housekeeping' inside the nest box as seen on the 3rd pic.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mourning Doves too paired up--for the courtship. Last Spring I learned that Doves begun their nesting season as early as Feb. in our area. It's said that Doves' nest are flimsy built with sticks and such, but I have yet found one active one around the garden. I however, saw many Doves' juveniles last year. So I'm keeping my eyes peeled for their nesting activity this year.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A male Northern Cardinal shows his 'color'. They (Cardinal species) appeared to co-exist with others yardbirds peacefully. When the mating season begins however, Cardinals will do what they do best-- their characteristic behavior--chasing other Cardinals around the garden. You've gotta love their antics.

Next; to my amazement. Blue Birds didn't show up in the backyard until- I went out with the mealworm treats....pics. to follow.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2013 5:40 PM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This row of birdhouses were meant to attract Purple Martins. Though, thus far there have been a few P.Martins that came by to investigate the gourd nest boxes (last year), but no taker as of yet. Other songs birds such as Titmice, Chickadees, and even Blue Birds have frequently visited these houses.

Correction: The birds I thought were Purple Martins that came by the gourd nestboxes were actually Tree Swallows.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2013 7:24 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

As mentioned earlier; Blue Birds didn't show up early this morning. But, as soon as I sent out mealworms to various feeders in the garden. Here they come.

Bella Vista, AR(Zone 6b)

Well, thanks for the info on the mockingbird vs bluebird. I'm glad I don't have a crazy mean mockingbird, just a naturally mean one. haha

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

An adorable nestling last spring.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Blue Birds are out and about early this morning. They visited the water bowl, and were looking for breakfast.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Well, breakfast was served, and look who came to join in with the crowd? Mrs. Cardinal that's who.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Soon Mr. Cardinal came and join in with the Mrs.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Pappa Blue took a stance at the feeder, and I was currious if the Cardinal will pick a fight?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

As it turned out, the male Cardinal left the feeder. I'm not sure if it's because the mealworms were all gone, or the Cardinal was just a peaceful lad. :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sometimes during the day I noticed there were "nester hopeful" on another nest box that was hung up high. This one is approximate 10-12 feet above ground level. Last year, I thought Titmice were interested in the 'house'. But this year, this unidentified bird is showing interest.

I am hoping this maybe a Tree Sparrow, and not a House Sparrow. Time will tell.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yesterday DH and I decided to return to the Eagles nest and hoping to see some nesting activity. On the way, we spotted this flock of birds... I didn't find out until after I uploaded the pics. into the pc and discovered those were American Pelicans passing through our area lake. We didn't find the Eagles near their nest however.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

At home, my Blue Birds came and pirched on the row of Purple Martins' houses begging for meallies early in the morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Meet 'Ricky and Lucy of Alabama'; my Carolina Chickadees pair that attempted nesting in the garden (as I observed 'em) last year. Likes Marna's own Ricky and Lucy, ours didn't have success last year. By far this year. The Chickadees as shown here have demonstrated lots of interest in these Gourd house.

Here one can see Lucy or Ricky checking the nest box out as the visiting Goldfinch was looking on.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Having watched these BBs closely, I have reason to believe this female BB could be the very same Moma that raised her brood here in the garden last Spring. Although the nestbox was moved to a different location away from my sideyard arbor. She's shown a perferrence of the familiar old box over the new cedar nestbox that we recently installed at the old location.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Same female with her new suitor sharing a meal.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oooops, sorry WRONG pic. That's actually Moma Blue with Ricky or Lucy.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is the Bluebirds pair

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Moma and Pappa Blue have had compititor (this early morning), the new male arrived at the site and drove the female off the nestbox as her beau was looking on...

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Minutes later -- I couldn't tell who is who just some dazzling blue birds appeared to compete for the nestbox as its own.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The Doves couple stays cozy and travels everywhere within the garden together.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Other species of birds are getting ready to pair up too but courting behavior hasn't been seen on these other species yet. Here Finches and Pappa Blue share a bird bath.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

My poor little Carolina Wren's looking up to the mighty Papa Blue. lol Not to worry, I've set up other meallies feeders and these industrious Wrens will be one of the first to discover the meallie treats. That's all for now until new development sought in the garden. How about yours ? Please come and join in the discussion with your finding.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wooohooo! We spotted the Eagle couple at the nest!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This is to assure us, that indeed the couple is working on building their nest for the season. Soon after we arrived, the two left the nest one by one, but remained close to each other.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Not knowing if there are eggs presence. But the two birds were gingerly walking about the nest before one took off from the nest, then the other one followed suit.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The day was a mild winter day, the scenery at the nesting site is beautiful. I'm looking forward to updating the progress of these birds nesting in a few days. I thought, it's worth to be mentioned. Many a Blue Birds singing were noticed in the vicinity. I wish if I could locate the Blue Birds near by, but I couldn't.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Lily, what is behind you and the camera? Any water or is this right in the middle of a field?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.