Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: Daffodils

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 9, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MaryK_38

(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
9:42 PM

Post #9391966

Can I plant daffodils in pots now or is it too late?
cyclops101
Wakefield, RI

January 21, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9392145

Daffodils need about 12 to 15 weeks of vernalization. It could be done but you would have to have temps below 45 F and with our fickle winters of late in all liklihood it would require that they be placed in a controlled environment (refrigeration). As of this date there would be little advantage to doing this as ground planted daffs would be coming into bloom naturally. Generally bulbs are planted in October and cooled for forcing in February and March
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

January 21, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9392650

I would go ahead and plant them in pots with good quality bulb compost as if for indoor bulbs as previously said, it's too late for out doors now,
IF you don't get the bulbs to compost now then you would be as well discarding them, you might only get greenery this year but once the greenery dies down late spring / early summer, be best time to plant outdoors for blooms next spring.

Bulbs are like the plants storage box, the flowering parts will have already began to try make blooms inside the bulbs, so you should be lucky IF you get a bloom, you never know.
As you plant bulbs out end of summer, add some plant feed to the planting hole to help give the bulbs a new lease of life for making the following years blooms.
IF all fails, then so what, they will die off anyway if they dont get some compost and a drink of water.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
WeeNel.
jsanfilippo
Milwaukee, WI

January 31, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9403753

If you can find bulbs that have been chilled already, you can plant them in pots. I found some on this website http://www.tulipworld.com/chilled-bulbs/ looks like they have some daffodils. Since they already got the required cold period, they should bloom this Spring

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2013
9:31 PM

Post #9405557

Put them in the pots . . . they will do what they will do. I'm not convinced they need all that much cold, I'm in California and my daffodils bloom just fine every year, cold or not. I'm not sure what your alternative is?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

February 16, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9420804

I've never chilled a bulb in my life and believe me, my garden has abundant amounts of Daffodil's, Bluebells, right now the place is white with Snowdrops, believe me, none have been in a fridge / freezer or any other cool place. I just plant the bulbs at the times indicated for each type of bulb, I know there will be people get back to me to tell me these bulbs must be treated with something, NO they are not, bulbs are the store cupboard for everything the bulb requires to grow, make flowers / foliage ect, what the ask up gardeners for is soil and water, the reason for these 2 requirements is because the bulbs have been lifted out from the soil they were growing in before they reached the stores ect.

The only bulbs that are treated here is the ones produced for indoor growing, Like indoor tulips, Hyacinthes or indoor Croccus, but these are grown for indoor use only and get special treatment, After flowering indoors you may be lucky to then grow in the garden to flower outside the following year.

What you do have to do is store your bulbs in a COOL dark area till ready to plant or, the warmth will cause the bulbs to sprout too soon, IF left unplanted at planting time, as Mary has probably found, her bulbs will be sprouting now and the sooner she gets them into soil, light and LITTLE water, the better, her bulbs are living on what's stored inside the bulb and she needs to give water, good compost ect to help the bulbs build up energy for flowering and replenish the storage back into the bulb for next year. The may even increase by making new little bulb's.
Good luck, WeeNel.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2013
7:59 PM

Post #9454155

I'm getting a jumpstart into the world of daffodil breeding. I recall they can take 4 or more years to begin blooming, but I can't wait to see what my seelings look like when the seeds are ripe and ready for planting. I pollenated them as they opened.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

March 22, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9458264

Ah Ha Bloomfly, you need to learn the one difficult rule of gardening, that's patience, very difficult to practice I admit but I've wasted so many seeds, cuttings or tender young plants in my years not to realise, nature will have the last word always, all we can do is nurture it along and DONT go growing things too fast, too early and too Tender for our area,
Have a great gardening year. WeeNel.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9464174

Lol WeeNel, that "P" word empty eyes hates so much. I too hate it. The possible new hybreds I might make keep me moving forwards.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 2, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9469866

Without people like you Bloomfly22 us gardeners would still be wondering what or how potato's grew ha, ha, ha. Good luck, keep us informed and as my grand-kid's now say "Chill-ax" Granny, you and I say Chill and relax, what has the world come to EH !!!!.
Best Regards WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America