Happy Birthday to all born January 21st!!

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy Birthday everyone! Hope you all have a great day!

shopping7
LeawoodGardener
dwiesinger

Thumbnail by taters55
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Have a great birthday.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday, folks!

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the greetings!

When I was a child, having a January birthday was a disappointment to me - it came right after Christmas, so nobody had any money to spare on gifts - or, what you got was something that was bought in the after-Christmas clearance sales. Then there was the response to your party request - "It's too cold to have a party outside and I don't want a bunch of kids in the house", so no birthday parties.

Over the years, I came to realize having a birthday in January gave you something to look forward to in the post-Christmas let-down. It was a chance for family and friends to sit down to a meal of 'comfort food' and fun on a cold winter evening. Sometimes gifts bought at post-Christmas sales were just as useful as they would have been if they had been bought in November, and the folks who gave you cash, let you buy something better than you would have bought 'in-season'.

Now I think having a winter birthday has its perks. The winter sun lingers a few minutes longer in the afternoon, promising spring will surely arrive soon. You can grow paperwhites and amaryllis to brighten up the room. The garden catalogs that fill your mailbox make pleasant reading by the fire on a winter day and the folks who really know you, give gift certificates from the local nurseries, so you get twice the pleasure - the gratitude that you're remembered on your birthday, and the knowledge that you have a few extra dollars to spend, come spring.

While it's difficult to accept the fact that I'm now 69 years old, I still think life is good!

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

That is a beautiful outlook on January Birthdays! Love those January blooms!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images