Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Winter Survival for Northern Birds: heated bird baths

Communities > Forums > Article: Winter Survival for Northern Birds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Winter Survival for Northern BirdsReplies: 1, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
flowerpot8
Danbury, WI

January 21, 2013
5:56 AM

Post #9392104

live in north area that is very cold, I have to add water every day as heat evaporates water in bird bath, I also wire a dead branch over the top and side as birds love to land on it both before and after drinking, they also lean over from branch and drink. Interesting point, mine is on fairly tall post outside my living room window, so I can open window and add water from inside on cold mornings. Also I need to raise my birdbath as deer will come and drink it dry quickly. DNR does not recommend putting out water for deer as many have diseases that would be transferred to other wildlife if they drink in this and their saliva could contaminate water. love your articles, I thoroughly clean and sterilize my bird bath occasionly and have no mosquito problems. Birds often bath in below zero weather.

This message was edited Jan 24, 2013 2:43 PM

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9392282

Sounds like you have a nice and convenient set-up! I don't have a bath, but a pond with a deicer. A funny thing I saw the other day was a house finch bathing while sitting on a branch that had fallen in the pond. I guess they don't need much of a surface to stand on at all!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Winter Survival for Northern Birds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you! Lily_love 1 Dec 13, 2008 1:46 PM
Great Article! gabagoo 1 Dec 13, 2008 5:00 PM
water cathy4 1 Dec 13, 2008 5:01 PM
Another great article Marna! dellrose 3 Dec 13, 2008 11:38 PM
Happy Birthday, Marna! beckygardener 3 Dec 14, 2008 3:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America