Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: Anyone Planning Sweet Potatoes?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9392189

A couple of years ago, I saw this post on DG: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1224463/, and I've tagged it for when I'd have enough room for my garden. Well, I finally have the room and and going to try my hand at SPs this year. I'm putting together a 4x8 raised bed especially for them. In fact, this bed will be in the front yard. I kind of figured if I was growing to grow veggies in the front yard, it better be something that cannot be easily stolen. I don't think passerbys will be into digging up SPs!!

A couple of months ago, I got a box of delicious, locally grown Beauregards, and am rooting one of those for slips. With a 4x8 space, I guess I'll plant about 8-10 slips. I'll till the ground before building the bed, and them fill it with a mixture for bagged topsoil & compost. I think I've read that SPs don't need heavy fertilizers, so maybe I'll add just some bone meal.

Any suggestions?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9392228

There is a Tn place that had sp suggestions - newhopeseeds.com i think it is- see if they have anything you can use...
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9392298

your plan sounds good. Beauregard is a vining plant so plan on the vines covering the entire space and then some. The vine is also quite ornamental with some color plus it one of the few varieties that bloom quite often. You are correct in that sweet potatoes are not heavy feeders. Use to be one of the favorite crops for planting newground ( areas recently cleared of trees) If you are cramped for space try one of the bunch varieties which have short bushy vines.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

January 21, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9392790

Jomoncon, funny you started this thread. For my "experiment" (I always have one each growing season) I am growing the variety "Ginseng" this season. Do either of you have any words of wisdom for me? Thank you in advance!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9392793

:-) keep us posted!
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9392905

I'm going to talk with the farmer that I bought the Beauregards from. He sells at the same farmers market I do, but he takes the month of January off. I'll see if he has words of wisdom for me.

About a hundred years ago, the area of the city I live in, Gentilly, was a plantation & a lot of swamps. The initial fill was a lot of clamshells from Lake Pontchartrain. Before I put in the raised bed, I'll have DH clear the area of now dead grass & give it a good tilling. With my compost sifter, I should be able to get most of the clamshells out down to a depth of about 10". I think the raised bed will be another 10" so hopefully the SPs won't need more depth than that.

I also try to do at least 1 new thing each year, although this year I've got several. In addition to the SPs, I have onions & garlic for the first time & I'm going to try ground cherries also. We'll see if they make good jam.
Jo-Ann

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

January 21, 2013
8:27 PM

Post #9393133

With all that calcium in the ground, I'd bet corn would do very well, there.
kathy4836
Indiana, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9394235

I planted sweet potatoes last year. Never tried them before as I live in western Pennsylvania and thought they were just a southern crop. Well, I planted half a dozen in a raised bed. They all grew until the rabbits ate them. However, one little plant survived with just a few tiny leaves . I figured I'd leave it and see what happens. Well, that plant grew and vined all over the place and we got a couple of huge sweet potatoes! This year we are DEFINITELY planting an entire bed of them!
margap
East Kingston, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9395171

I've been planting them very year for sometime, though I had a serious vole problem. Last year, we sunk hardware cloth 8" down and 4" above ground and that seemed to deter the voles reasonably well. I had been growing Georgia Jet because a catalogue said that they grew well in the north, but last year I tried Covington from Deep Grass Nursery in Delaware and they were a whole lot better in general plus the slips were in lovely condition when they arrived in the mail.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America