Photo by Melody

Greenhouse: New to greenhouse...and this is a cheap one!

Communities > Forums > Greenhouse
bookmark
Forum: GreenhouseReplies: 9, Views: 221
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 21, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9392373

My husband surprised me with a $99.00 greenhouse. We have it put up but I don't know what to do with it now. It is a cheapo, and only has one door...no ventilation other than opening the door. Is there anything I can grow in there now? Anything you can tell me about this greenhouse would be greatly appreciated. I have no experience with a greenhouse what so ever and don't have a clue what to do!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
10:29 AM

Post #9392428

Do you have a picture or some more info (like brand name/model)? Typically the cheaper greenhouses are cost-prohibitive to heat through the winter so you likely can't use it for overwintering tropicals or anything like that, but you can probably use it to get a head start on seed starting in the spring.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2013
10:47 AM

Post #9392446

This is my little greenhouse- it's just 4x6', and I love it- the only problem is that in 2 years the horrible winds we have just tore the plastic covering to pieces-even though it is reinforced. I have tried to patch it with special clear tape, but it just comes off. I will have to take it down this year. It was $99 at Fred Meyers.

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9392449

just jump in enid.. whatever u love to grow..
to ecranes point.. and i dont know how cold enid gets in winter..
is it a set up..and easy to take down one? is there a floor attached to
the greenhouse?
if easy to set up..and no floor..u might get a head start on lettuce,early
spring vegys..:)
i know im sort of.. patiently waiting for our really COLD weather to
pass here..so i can get my cold frames up..and start lettuce,and spinach..
good luck to ya !!!!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 21, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9392827

JoParrot, that is the exact same greenhouse!

Ecrane, I thought about a milkhouse heater in there but wondered if it would run all the time and not do much good.

Tropicalnut, I want to start lettuce in there. I am wondering if I can just grow it in pots and leave it in there. Our dirt here is so horrible and we have so much bermuda, anything but container gardening for veggies is pretty much out of the question.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9392843

You can buy 6 mil. clear plastic at Lowes and cover it with that. That's what I do with the camping tent I have. I also have a greenhouse, but too many tropicals, so the tent works great for me. I haven't heated the greenhouse the last two winters. I realize it's colder in Enid, but maybe double up on the plastic - might work!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9392896

I may try recovering my greenhouse and relocating it to a more protected place rather that getting rid of it. It now sits on my back deck where the winds just howl thru during the windy season.
enid, I don't think you would want to leave lettuce in the greenhouse- it needs cold, and aphids will jump on it in a minute where the air isn't circulating well- I have trouble with them anyway! Good luck with yours- I cut slits at each end close to the top- they let the air flow through, and I tale them closed in the cold.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

January 21, 2013
8:37 PM

Post #9393167

Enid, along with that 6 mil plastic, you could add some zipper vents using these: http://growerssolution.com/PROD/greenhouse-adhesive-zipper-door-zip-up/ZipUp or something similar.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9394058

enid..u should go for the lettuce..
i usually start an early couple flats of lettuce end of jan..early feb..
with them outside against the house facing south..never freezes..
u can get some 2nd hand flats somewhere..use some good potting
soil..and get a head start on some lettuce..:)
go for it !!!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 23, 2013
4:25 AM

Post #9394424

The zipper things are really cool! I may have to order those.

I think I am going to try the lettuce! You won't know if it is gonna work until you try right? Nothing ventured nothing gained!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Greenhouse Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Online sources for greenhouse film? Terry 11 Oct 31, 2012 5:55 PM
Old Tomcat Sprays My Greenhouse Weezingreens 24 May 22, 2009 5:37 PM
Early 1900s Wm. H. Lutton Glasshouse Jersey City, NJ Abutilon 50 Jan 22, 2009 3:55 AM
Best greenhouse for the money JimKennard 90 Sep 22, 2012 8:54 PM
Santa Barbara Greenhouses? mysticwill 8 May 4, 2009 3:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America