Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Another Veggie growing friend...

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Jan 22, 2013 7:00 AM

This message was edited Jan 22, 2013 7:02 AM

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:20 AM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Welcome David.

Your photos are lovely.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I never would of thought of that ,, Maybe it is the zone difference ,, Great Idea!!!!
Photos are great!!! Thank you....

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Jan 22, 2013 7:03 AM

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:20 AM

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I love the way you have the greens (cabbages?) arranged around the bird bath.

Hope you have lots of fun here on Dave's.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:21 AM

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

If you like Cabbage, Mustard, Lettuce & Spinach, you might also like these Brassicas as cold-hardy salad greens:
- Komatsuna mild, cold-hardy, productive
- Tatsoi - very mild, cold-hardy, slower-growing
- Mizuna - medium mild, a little mustardy

Bok Choy and Chinese cabbage (Napa or Michihili) are less cold-hardy. They might not be good crops for mid-winter, but great for spring and Fall (avoid hot weather). Most Chinese cabbage varieties are better adapted as Fall crops in most climates.

Whatever is growing when heat or frost approach can be harvested and eaten at whatever age they reached, for example in salad. The smaller, the more tender and sweet! Seedling & baby leaf crops can be companion-grown (inter-cropped?) under taller crops. Or they can be planted with slower-growing crops and then harvested before the other crop gets big.

Both Bok Choy and Chinese cabbage will bolt in frost and Chinese cabbage may bolt after a week or two of coldish nights. Both are very mild in flavor. Young & baby leaves belong in salad, and you can steam or fry older leaves.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:21 AM

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Great! Do you grow any of the baby green stem varieties?

Or red or purple leaf varieties?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

David, welcome and thanks for the great photos -- good inspiration!

Your lettuce looked like it was in a fairly shady area. Is that right? I'm always seeking things that can take a little shade, since I've only got good sun in part of my yard.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 10:22 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.