Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Beginner Houseplants: Controlling Agave growth

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 3, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gizmoguru
Newberry, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2013
5:00 AM

Post #9393368

I have three (3) large agaves planted individually (displayed as specimens) in bowls. They are continually putting out pups which makes them appear cluttered and causes other problems. Does anyone have a recommendation for restricting the growth of, or removing, pups that doesn't involve physically wrestling them out? I'm still wearing Band-Aids from my most recent repotting experience with them. They are the definition of "User Hostile".

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9393765

You could try pulling the soil back from the basal area of the plant and painting it (the basal part of the plant) with Sucker Stopper RTU. It's a napthaleneacetate preparation (basically synthetic auxin - NAA) and discourages basal shoots and back-budding. It seems like it should work.

Al
gizmoguru
Newberry, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9396368

Thank you so much Tapla. I went through the Jacksonville Zoo and Botanical Gardens just yesterday and their Agave specimens sit in solitary splender. I knew there had to be a method of restricting the pups without losing blood in the process.

Ta,

Paula

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9396459

If you remember, let us know how it works, please?

Al

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America