Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Boboteaza -The Day When Basil Blesses the Waters in Romania: Love to hear about Romanian traditions

Communities > Forums > Article: Boboteaza -The Day When Basil Blesses the Waters in Romania
bookmark
Forum: Article: Boboteaza -The Day When Basil Blesses the Waters in RomaniaReplies: 15, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2013
5:35 AM

Post #9393390

Another very interesting & informative article. I especially liked
how you've woven in your own story while sharing so much
information.

I do think it would have been easier on you to have dreamed about
your DH rather than slipping on ice. :-)

Tam

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 22, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9393871

Thanks, Tam! LOL It wasn't a bad fall, we just laughed about it!

Adina
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9394707

That is a very interesting article, Adina. I find it fascinating to read about customs from countries other than my own. I, too, enjoyed how you brought your own experiences into the article about Boboteaza Day.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 23, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9394893

Thanks, Mau! I always love to share!

slywlf

slywlf
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9399970

What a delightful, informative and entertaining article ;-) Sometimes the 'old wives tales' have merit! When I was about 17 I read that if a girl was to peel an apple completely without breaking the peel, and threw it over her shoulder, it would form the initials of her future husband. It took me a couple tries, but finally I did it, and noted the shape the peel formed in my diary. I then quickly forgot about it. Ten years later I met the man I would marry, and guess what??? His initials were a match! ;-)
fwromanian
Perkasie, PA

January 28, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9399975

Ok, so...let me set a couple of things straight...first of all, I always loved the smell of the basil when the priest would dip it in the water...at that time I didn't know you can cook with basil...it was only after I moved to the States and I started to cook that I started using basil (heavily) in my cooking...
And another thing: I always hated when the priests would dip the basil in the water and then he'd splash my face with it...hated it! Lol...I'm surprised I never talked back to them, as my first reaction may have been...lol ;)
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9400099

REally love it that you share your traditions with us. It's so interesting to hear what other people practice and see if any of those things have passed across the ocean with the people who came here.
I am going to send your article to a friend who is Orthodox and see how many of those traditions she knows of.

I remember we had one about putting something under your pillow, but cannot remember what we used - and the apple peel one was the same too.

My Orthodox friend did have a blessing for her new house when she moved but I don't know if it was basil the priest used. I'm going to find out.
~marilyn

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 28, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9400133

Slywlf, thank you for your kind words and for sharing about your tradition. Isn't it fun and strange that those initials matched?

Monica, I also hate it when the priest splash the basil on my head, but I'm baring it!LOL I also didn't know about cooking with basil until I was 40, I guess. Saw it on an Italian TV channel. We really don't cook with basil here in Romania, but I hear that it is used for making tea. I think I will use it next time when I have a cough and see what happens. It's funny basil hasn't been used in cooking until recently, when Romanians found out about Italian food, pasta in particular, but also pizza. if you remember, basil can be found in clumps at the market during summer and everyone buys it, but they are mostly using it for hanging it above a religious icon.

Marilyn, thank you for being my constant reader! Is your friend fromEastern Europe? I'm sure it was basil the priest used for blessing her house. I'm curious to hear what traditions she knows of. Please keep me posted.

Adina
fwromanian
Perkasie, PA

January 28, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9400169

You're absolutely right, we didn't know until the Italian food...which is strange considering the super strong history ties Romania has with Italy...

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 28, 2013
11:27 AM

Post #9400276

I think we took more from Turkish and Hungarian cuisine.
hapylica
slobozia
Romania

January 28, 2013
11:37 AM

Post #9400295

Adina, I use basil in the garden for bees. Is very popular these industrious creatures. Unfortunately in our country (Romania) orthodoxy took possession of the plant, as indeed they did many other things!
basil bad for humans destroy Earth radiation

Thumbnail by hapylica
Click the image for an enlarged view.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 28, 2013
10:42 PM

Post #9400886

Never heard about basil destroying Earth's radiation, how silly! Thanks for the picture, the bee seems so happy! Thanks fo rthe tip. I'll plant more basil just for them!

Adina
fwromanian
Perkasie, PA

January 30, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9402779

I must say I've never heard of earth and its radiation being destroyed by basil...but great shot of the bee and basil, hapylica !
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9422998

Hi Adina:

My Orthodox friend is from Greece, and yes, it was basil that the priest used in the house blessing.

Pretty much everything you talked about in that article was familiar to her. She also said that they have a tradition about putting the wedding cake you bring home from a wedding under our pillow, for the same reason.

I just came back from a week in Mexico where it was lovely and hot, and am now in snow again. *sigh* I know spring will come, but today it seems like a long wait . . .

Keep warm,
~marilyn

Thumbnail by cybercrone
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9423007

Also wondering about the (perhaps) problem with translation in the post from haplyca?

I know that basil is supposed to protect humans from radiation - is that perhaps what was meant?
~m

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 18, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9423053

Marilyn, thanks for the update. I didn't know about the wedding cake, very interesting.
What a beautiful place in your picture! I suppose it's from Mexico.
You are right about basil protecting humans from radiation. I found this interesting link :

http://wildmedicinalherbs.com/2011/03/22/japan-nuclear-radiation-update-tulsi-basil-protects-against-radiation/

Adina

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Boboteaza -The Day When Basil Blesses the Waters in Romania Threads you might be interested in:

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America