Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: Winter sowing

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AnnFran
East Greenbush, NY

January 22, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9393486

Did anyone ever try "Winter Sowing" vegetables and did you have success?
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9393494

trying for the first time this year. hope the crazy weather doesnt defeat me.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9393726

I haven't tried winter sowing, but I did leave several open pollinated tomatoes on the ground to see if they produce this year.

Melons volunteer every year, so I guess they are "winter sown".

Beans and peas sometimes poke through in unexpected places.

Then there's whatever sprouts from the compost that is spread around the garden in the spring.

There are several onions sprouting out there - must be a few I missed when I pulled the main crop last June.

I sowed arugula once several years ago, and it comes up in various places around the garden. It stays green all winter long, and is a welcome addition to a sandwich.

Do wild onions/garlic count? They grow like weeds here. I like to cut a few to put on baked potatoes.

Hmmm... maybe I'm "winter sowing" after all.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9393766

Have only WS veggies once, and, I had GREAT success!

As long as you keep your jugs closed and located where they will get sunlight and rainwater (or get hit by the sprinklers), they will grow when they are ready to, which will ususally be sooner than later, due to the "greenhouse" effect of the vessel. I used gallon milk jugs secured from my local Starbucks. They gave them to me by the garbage bag full, for the asking.

The added benefit of WS veggies is that they will be much hardier and hardened off for transplanting.

#1 Ten Hut!
#2 Early Dividene Broccoli @ 48 days
#3 Emerald Giant Bell Peppers @ 21 days
#4 Sample Jug
#5 Seedlings

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

cytf
Staten Island, NY

January 25, 2013
11:03 AM

Post #9397253

HI GYM GIRL, WHAT IS THE BENEFIT OF KEEPING THE TOPS ON THE MILK JUGS. I DID SOME LAST YEAR WITH THE TOPS OFF AND THE SEEDS DID GERMINATE

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9397496

I think for the greenhouse effect of capturing the heat during the day. Also, some areas get snow, and it protects the seedlings.

I think...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2013
3:17 PM

Post #9410529

Having lived (and wintersown) where there is snow, I always count the snow as part of the moisture the helps seeds. I would keep the lids on to make sure the seeds you want is what grows in there. In NY at this time of year, she wants the heat in there, but the lid just vents excess heat! In tx extra heat is bad, in ny, it might help.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America